StudentsReview :: The University of Kentucky Business School

Extracuriculars
Meeting People
Romance

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to Business School

I started my first two years really hatingBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I started my first two years really hating this school. However, the fact that I was unsure of my major and didn't go Greek played a big part of this. Junior year I joined clubs, figured out what I wanted to do and now, as a senior, I am much much much happier at this school. Being from northern Ohio this was a great place to get away and experience somewhere new. However, I am still very upset about tuition which just goes into new dorms and athletics, and don't think that the school really caters to any of the students like they do to the freshman. Also, parking is a huge issue. I got two tickets in the same day. Teachers are a problem also. Now that I am in "upper division" classes they are great. However, because this is a research focused university, the university cares more about the professors research then how well the professor is teaching (that came straight from a professor who just moved to UK and has been teaching here for two years, previously at FSU). Altogether, my mood about this university has greatly changed over the years. I would not have rushed Greek no matter where I went, but I have noticed this last year has been much more diverse with students and you dont see cookie cutter Sorority girls everywhere. Now, I know many people (BIG ADVOCATE FOR DORM LIFE FRESHMAN YEAR). If I had to do it again, and if I knew I would change my major from pre-pharmacy to Business, I would have chose a better in state school, because I dont think that out of state tuition is worth this university. For instate students, I would definitely say consider it!
4th Year Female -- Class 2016
UK is about money.Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
UK is about money. They want more students and to keep them, they lower standards. Students do not study and then complain the teaching was poor and the teacher gets reprimanded. I finished an undergrad degree in the mid 90s and came back to start grad school recently. I thought I would need to audit a course or two as a refresher - boy was I wrong. The classes don't cover half the material they used to, the exams were overly simple, and the students still complained it was hard. I'm looking at my old notes and exams for the same class 20 years ago and in comparison this class is like kindergarten.

The campus is constantly under construction, but the buildings all look the same. Also, the buildings aren't taken care of at all, just allowed to decay until they get torn down and a new one goes up.Students don't fare better - you are a number wherever you go. There is no student life unless you pay to be a greek, and drink every weekend (and weekday). If parties are not for you, this is not a good campus because there really isn't anything else to do in this town.

5th Year Female -- Class 2015
Preparedness: Reputation:
I came to UK as a transfer fromQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I came to UK as a transfer from a Big Ten school (where you can find an ex-UK coach, hint-hint) because they offered to pay me to.

Honestly, Lexington is bland. No culture, good-ol'-boy network amalgamation of strip malls. Southern snootiness, Frat punks run the place in fashions straight from a mid-90s teen movie and the girls lack any personality. Everyone is good looking on the outside, soulless and bland on the inside. If you live for watching a bunch of kids who aren't even from your state throw a ball through a hoop, UK might be your thing, though.

The faculty are pathetic. Rude, condescending, often reminiscent of the students. It must be a Lexington thing. Boredom does drive some to anger, after all.

Don't bother with the College of Comm. or Gatton, the administration could give two shits about you getting into the classes you need or graduating on time. UK spends most of its massive budget on "See Blue" or, as I like to call them "See how to embrace mediocrity" campaigns and novelty courses where freshmen and "honors" students map out where celebrities would hang out if they were to spend a weekend in the vacuous, racist, hate-filled redneck cesspool of Lexington.

1st Year Male -- Class 2013