StudentsReview :: Hofstra University Business School

Extracuriculars
Meeting People
Romance

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to Business School

My problems with Hofstra started on day oneQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
My problems with Hofstra started on day one and never ended in the 1.5 semesters I was there. I'm sorry I ever applied. I tell everyone I can to stay far away from this poor excuse for an academic institution. Heed my warning and save yourself the headache and frustration.

Hofstra and Zarb have a knack for providing false information or promises. Don't take anything they say during the open house at face value. I was told I'd be able to do an independent study during my interview, and when the time came, they refused and didn't give any reason. They also advertised 10 elective classes on the website, but last semester they only offered one.

Most of my professors were incapable of conveying the material in a meaningful or digestible way, and some never made eye contact with the class throughout the whole semester. six of the ten classes in my program were a complete waste of time.

If you have any complaints or want to vouch for your right to a decent education, the dean and department chairs will either ignore you or talk down to you until they think you will give up. I had an associate dean laugh in my face when I told him I wanted a better education. Use that information as you will.

Finally, incompetence must be a job requirement for all Hofstra employees. Most faculty and administration either talk down to you, tell you they'll do something or follow up with you and don't, or ignore your emails and phone calls completely. I've seen this behavior from Zarb, financial aid, housing, registrar, and HR. You would think that at least financial aid would be more careful since they're dealing with people's money. Nope. I had to watch them like a hawk and correct their same mistakes over and over again. The area is also very unsafe. The first week of my first semester there were TWO reported gun-point break-ins and robberies on campus. Just visit Hempstead and you'll see what I'm talking about.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2019
Preparedness: Reputation:
The school has a big price tag.BrightEconomics
The school has a big price tag. That's something no one can avoid looking at. But what makes the university worthwhile is all the experiences that I have been offered personally and professionally. The school really has prepared me for going into the professional world and I would recommend Hofstra for many people. Its not a school for students to just wake up, go to class, go home, and repeat. But for people who want to be future leaders and really enhance themselves, this is a great place. The community (students and administration) are good people, not there to push you along in the masses or compete with you in the classroom. You do feel like your own individual self, not just one in 100 especially because the class sizes are really small.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2018
If Hofstra can keepQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
If Hofstra can keep you an extra semester to make another $20,000 off you they can and will. I also feel like I've been robbed of six months of my life and there's nothing I can do about it. Individual departments may be good, but the academic administration is a soul and money sucking nightmare.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015