StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Business School

The University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Business School

Meeting People
Romance

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to Business School

I failed UNC PhDNot so brightEconomics
I failed UNC PhD program and got transferred to UNCG. I got a job as a Professor at UNCG teaching microeconomics. I got a research project for a PhD degree at UNCG. I highly recommend come to UNCG the students are low average and here you will succeed.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Of course, like every university, UNC has itsQuite BrightEconomics
Of course, like every university, UNC has its problems, but I have thoroughly enjoyed my 3 years at Carolina thus far. I'm currently an OOS Senior from Maryland and chose Carolina over many options--UVA, U Michigan, UCLA, and Boston College??and am so happy I did. The students are smart, approachable, and down-to-earth, and most professors I've had have been great. I would highly recommend. Also, Carolina alum are some of the most loyal alumni and not just for getting a job instate. As somebody who wants to either move to NYC or DC post-graduation, there are MANY alumni that are willing (and want to) help.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Things I wish I knew before I went:Quite BrightEconomics
Things I wish I knew before I went:

I recommend that any serious student find some way to get into seminar level classes as soon as possible. Either AP out or take some college courses somewhere else. The difference between the upper level courses and large freshman/sophomore courses is vast. I only found the great UNC my junior and senior year. I kept on looking for aid to transfer to University of Chicago (a very serious school) my first two years. I was shocked at the lack of academic intensity. Luckily, I found it when I got into high undergraduate/ graduate classes.

It helps to know what you want to do before you start-remember, you want to get into those upper level classes as soon as possible. Smaller and more expensive private colleges might give you a better search experience if you are undecided. But you have to pay!

Unless you are sure that you are stopping at a BA or BS or you want to be a businessman in North Carolina, don't join a fraternity. Although there are some good students in frats, I found them to be very Southern and somewhat anti-intellectual. Remember, I took a lot of math, statistics, economics, and physics classes and it seemed to me that the frat guys were either not in these classes or were filling out the low end of the curve. On the other hand, the rare smart frat guys I met had impressive resumes.

My guess is that statistically, the frats don't look mediocre since so many people leave. I remember at matriculation-"look to your left, look to your right, one of you will be gone." The frat guys are probably happier and they stay (I wrote my honors thesis on sample selection bias).

Strangely, I didn't find the same thing for sororities, so if you are a serious student and female, go for it.

I taught at the University of Virginia and in comparison I noticed three big differences: 1) the top students were slightly better at UNC while the average student at UVA was better and 2) students crammed much harder at UNC toward to the end of the semester and played more the rest of the time (this may be related to 1) and 3) UNC if far more liberal than UVA.

As an aside, if you are a good crammer either by nature or due to poor habits, you will like it here better than other places. But this also may account for the 1/3 drop-out rate.

People are more modest here. Really. It is part of the fabric. My twin brother went to Duke and it was different, especially if you were poor. The women I met did not care that I came from a broke single mom family and lived in a trailer out near Chapel Hill Airport. My brother (on scholarship) at Duke had a country mouse feeling the whole time he was at Duke.

Starting Job: lecturer; Preparedness: A Reputation: C-