StudentsReview :: The University of Akron Graduate Programs in Business

Extracuriculars
Meeting People
Romance

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to Business School

UA is a college for people who wantBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
UA is a college for people who want to obtain a degree, not get drunk every night and add 200 facebook friends. It is a commuter school, thus the majority of students actually want to attend class instead of postponing joining the "real world" in favor of getting drunk and skipping class.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of fine drinking establishments in the area. I'm just saying that if your top goal in attending college is to be a part of a social club, UA isn't the school for you.

I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you take a major like Communications or Anthropology.. you could practically go to Harvard and still have trouble getting a job or feel like you learned something. Everyone knows that for 99% of students, they will be working at Target after graduation.

The Good: Professors generally know what they are doing. Other students care about their classes/grades. Good mix of lectures, group work, individual work, etc. No unreasonable amount of homework/projects. Challenging course work. They work really hard to help students get a job after graduation. All of the classes I took here were useful. Lots of clubs, events, activities, etc.The Bad: The student advisors you get when you start at UA are completely useless and have no idea what they are doing. Some of the business teachers have strong foreign accents. They allow the people from Northwestern Mutual to come into every class to recruit people to sell insurance to their friends and family, which is annoying and only people who can't get a job work there. Seriously, you do not need a degree to sell insurance to your family and friends or as they call it "your network".

4th Year Female -- Class 2013
I have been veryNot so brightBusiness - Management and Administration
I have been very impressed with the university and surrounding city. It is a wonderful campus with many new facilities, buildings, and dorms. Additionally the sports programs are really doing well!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Preparedness: Reputation:
A lot of my issues will most likelyBrightAccounting
A lot of my issues will most likely be common with other large universities, but I do believe they should change. I do have some positives as well. My biggest problem would be the administration and the operations of the university. With anything but your professors you are only a number, and you are viewed as nothing more than a source of tuition. They charge tuition for every little thing they offer whether it is used or not, and they try to squeeze even more out of you with books. If you buy all your books from their store, you will be guaranteed to spend at least $600(estimated for 5 classes) a semester for the newest editions every year. The editions do not vary by a page or two, but this means they will not buy your books back. The worst part is that they make University of Akron editions of someone else's textbook so you have to buy it from them, and once again they will not buy it back. It is not easy to get guidance from your adviser. I've scheduled all my own classes since I've been here, and I've never seen my adviser. The university also gets into your personal business no matter where you live. I got an underage off campus, and the city of Akron only made me pay a small fine. The university found out so I was put on academic probation, had to go to a class, paid a fine, and did a small amount of community service. Does that make any sense at all? You just look at your tuition being spent on things to attract even more students. Paying Jim Tressel $200,000 a year in a made up position designated to student success? I haven't heard from him. I would say you are a minority if you are white, and they place a lot of emphasis on their diversity except whites. Every student must take a world civilization class. The only choices are Latin America, Japan, Southeast Asia, Africa, and India if that tells you anything about skin color. Certain classes require that you take tests in their testing center under certain hours with looonngg lines sometimes. It is a departmental test so hopefully your professor follows the cirriculum closely. Make sure you live with a lot of people and lock your doors. No matter where you live around or on campus, there is crime. Never leave anything in your car because it will get stolen. I lived on campus in an apartment building for two years and this all happened to my car. Within a week, my stereo was stolen. Next, my window was shattered, but there was nothing taken because I never left anything in it again. After that I never locked my doors, and my car was torn apart for stuff to steal another 3 times. Never go to the rec between 3-6. Never walk at night by yourself. For the good news, almost all of my professors have been absolutely wonderful. They are extremely accomodating, and they will be there to help after class, on the weekend, or any time. They will make sure you understand 100% and will stop class to help you. A lot of the professors that I have had are foreign with some accents, but it is manageable. The foreign ones I had I found to be great though. One was the funniest I've had, and one was the best teacher/professor I've ever had. If it wasn't for my professors, I would have transferred a long time ago. The students are also approachable and will talk to anyone. You will get to know the people in your major. Point of the story is, the people that actually matter and make 100% of the university successful by paying tuition, building relationships, and educating are the best assets the university has. However, the people in control are corporate idiots running it like a business that doesn't care about their customers.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2014