StudentsReview :: Oregon State University Business School

Extracuriculars
Meeting People
Romance

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to Business School

OSU consistently screws up their textbook ordering program.Quite BrightEconomics
OSU consistently screws up their textbook ordering program. I have problems with them every term. You don't know what textbooks you need to order until your course opens up, but your due dates in that course are now less than a week away. If you need an eText access code to use an online homework system, you won't be able to access it in time to complete your assignments.

Most recently, we were offered a physical bundle or just the eText package. I foolishly picked the physical bundle, thinking it would be nice to have a hardcopy of my text. Not only did it cost me an extra $100.00, but it screwed up my grade as well. My access code is now embedded in the physical text which I will not receive until 4 days after my first online quiz.Way to go OSU. You robbed me and you hit me right in the gradebook. Something like this happens every term but this is the worst one.

1st Year Male -- Class 1922
Preparedness: Reputation:
OSU was not my first choice, but itBrightAccounting
OSU was not my first choice, but it ended up being the best choice. Now, 25 years later as an alumni I really value my OSU education. I was fortunate to have some very good professors that took an interest in my sucess. OSU prepared me well for a career in the accounting and Finance Profession.

The "Ivy's" and prestigious name brand liberal arts schools will have prospective students believe that your ticket to sucess is to "get in" to their school. I have found that none of that really matters once you are in the real world. I have had a very good career getting a job right out of college and staying employed through all of the ups and downs of the economy over the past 25 years. Now I am in an executive level finance and accounting position making $500,000+ with an OSU degree. Most Ivy league grads would love to be in that position, in fact I have a few working for me now.

4th Year Male -- Class 1989
Preparedness: Reputation:
Oregon State University actually has no assistance forQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Oregon State University actually has no assistance for housing. Dormitory housing fees are very likely the highest in the state out of all Oregon Schools. Be aware that you will be paying for facilities that you may never use. If you have a housing emergency your life comes first and then you lose your academic flow. The last time I attended OSU during fall of 2012 I read an article in the Corvallis Gazette Times that there were actually 250 full time students that were homeless; either outside with a backpack full of books or couch-surfing on their friends' indulgence.

If you are a spoiled rich kid, OSU is a great place to blow your inheritance and get in trouble.
As an older veteran student with no remaining GI bill and only existing on financial aid and grants, I still found myself homeless for six months before I transferred to a more affordable school.

The part that pissed me off the most was that a few snooty stuck-up Beavers laughed at me when they saw the condition that I had gotten into when I was homeless. This was an isolated incident, but it was enough for me to let myself know that I don't have to be a beaver that badly. I transferred out at the end of fall term to another Oregon University without missing a day of school. My GPA never went below 3.0

If you have any doubts that you may not be able to afford OSU do not go there because there will be no real help for you. You will be crushed by the money machine if you suffer a lack of funds.

Your counselors will be very nice but what really happens is that they refer you so a revolving series of dead end referrals. There is a homeless shelter in Corvallis but the rules there seem opposed to the needs of students. There is no real help in Corvallis for those who are financially disadvantaged. I had good grades and got grants, but it still was not enough.

Housing competition was horrible, and I never had a chance to locate to a studio on time when financial aid paid out.

The only places that were available were weird craphole studios built over a barn 25 miles out of town where you also had to like feeding animals.

You could also apply for a downtown studio with a 7 month waiting list where all the other tenants were mentally ill.

Bottom line: OSU/Corvallis is great only if you have a truckload of money. Don't fool yourself and don't get stuck there in a bad position like I did.At least I didn't miss a day of school when I transferred and I now have a place to live on another Oregon University campus.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2015