StudentsReview :: The University of Oregon Business School

Extracuriculars
Meeting People
Romance

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to Business School

This is a TERRIBLE school for the priceQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
This is a TERRIBLE school for the price you have to pay. Lower division classes are worse than many I've taken at community colleges. They are mostly taught by GTFs who simply don't care, and many of the instructors can't even speak fluent English. The quality of education here is extremely poor. All of your tuition money goes towards athletics and the football team, not the academic programs.

The student body is mostly made up of kids who were most likely rejected from every other school they applied to. Many of the students here have absolutely no business being in college. The party culture is huge here. Most of the students are just here to get drunk and waste their parent's money, not to study. The kids here are rude, disrespectful, entitled and full of themselves. Recent examples are the fraternity trashing of Lake Shasta and the infamous incident not too long ago, where a mob of students blocked traffic, harassed drivers and dumped snow into their vehicles. You DO NOT want to be associated with these kinds of people.

There is also absolutely nothing to do here. The university offers very few extracurricular activities and most student organizations are very poorly run and organized. The surrounding town of Eugene is full of nothing but hippies and homeless drug addicts. If that weren't bad enough, the constant rain and nine consecutive months of not seeing the sun is sure to drive you into deep depression.Coming to this school has been the biggest mistake of my life...

2nd Year Male -- Class 2019
Now that I've been accepted to transfer toQuite BrightEconomics
Now that I've been accepted to transfer to a quality, highly selective private school, I can discuss my opinion of this state school without the fear of being stuck here for another two years. The University of Oregon makes little sense. There are a lot of good bad things about the school that I've learned over my freshman year.

Firstly, don't expect much for your classmates. I was constantly impressed about how simple-minded my peers were. I found several people of similar competence who agreed with me, but somehow they are okay with the lack of intelligence in the student population.

Next, there are tons of things you can do to fill your time (because there's no way that a full schedule here will keep someone busy). I got a job, played on club teams, played on intramural teams (won a few Champion Tshirts) got another job, did a lot of transfer applications, and filled up the rest of my time with electives because there are tons of them here! I'm not just talking about academic ones. There are martial arts with great instructors, dance classes from swing to ballet to tango, and normal sports like badminton, swimming, etc to keep you in shape. These classes were the ones I found most meaningful in my time here.

Eugene is pretty boring. You can take trips if you're outdoorsy, organized by the awesome outdoor program. There are a few hills and great trails if you're into running/hiking/biking, there's a concert every once in a while, there are some bars if you're over 21, but besides drinking on weekends at house parties there isn't much liveliness to the city for an undergraduate.

The professors are mostly absolutely fantastic! I adored all of my econ professors and the department in general, my organic professors were great (I'm one class away from a biochem minor here). I hear that the math professors at any level above high school math (calculus and up) barely speak english and lack any sort of teaching skill, but that's all vicarious because I finished calc in high school and there isn't any more math requirement for biochem or econ majors. My foreign language professor was also great, and tried to get me to major in Romance Languages on to of econ. I would have if I didn't want to leave. All my professors but one were helpful, smart, enthusiastic, engaging and caring about their students, and very willing to write me letters of recommendation.

I haven't met one even slightly capable business student. It's not just me, most people I've talked to agree. I'm always surprised about how they dress themselves let alone manage to get C's in their classes (because the higher grades go to people who have a real career goal and are most definitely NOT business majors, but students in business classes because it's an easy way to pad your GPA and add a minor). I am entertained whenever I hear a business major say his goal is to own a business. It's hilarious. I'm gonna miss that.

Frat guys are great. At least for making the curve for a class go in your favor. Then again, professors will slow the class down so that the frat guys can understand at least some of it. Maybe it just limits how much you learn. Hence me leaving. Honestly, I would have probably rushed just so I could party more and have a good, unproductive time during the rest of college.

For residence halls, the food here is actually really really good. RA's (Residential assistants) are a huge pain until they start looking the other way, which most of them want to do because busting college students for drinking is one of the more illogical practices in this country. Still, there are some who will write you up for coughing after 11pm. Luckily being written up has little to no consequence, so it's not a big deal.

I wish I could have done some of the study-abroad offered here. So many options and opportunities. Oh well. Overall, I'd say that this school was not the best place of me, as I am capable of handling a bit more, um... rigor. Still, I have learned much more than I thought I would here, not just about organic synthesis reactions, classical physics, or demand functions, but also about various martial arts, strokes for swimming, tango, waltz, ballet, tennis, table tennis (I played on the club team) and what I want in life. I figured out what career I will pursue, am well on my way to a bachelors degree, and I'm debt-free. What more could I ask for in a freshman year? Well, lots. All I've been thinking to myself for the past year is GET ME OUTTA HERE but hey, it usually wasn't complete hell.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Preparedness: Reputation:
Trust me. This is my THIRD major University.Not so brightBusiness - Management and Administration
Trust me. This is my THIRD major University. I went to ASU, and Oregon blows that place out of the water. There's only one thing I would change about school/life in Eugene, and that's the weather. That's it. If you think weather is important, you'll soon find out it's not that important. It's the people you meet and your overall experience. While mostly white, the student body is very balanced and diverse in terms of interests and lifestyle. Greek life is big, but not the main thing on campus. The Business department is awesome, walking into the Lillis building for the first time in an experience in itself. There's more hot girls here than you'd think for a cold-weather school. The campus is great, it's like college from the movies. Honestly, I wish I would have gone here starting my freshmen year, but i'll be glad to atleast get two years in here. Lots of kids from California, you almost get the vibe that they outnumber Oregon students, but maybe that's just because i'm from California. The kids from Portland are easy to spot cuz they're all decked out in Northface stuff, and I hear they can be clicky, but I haven't found that to be true from my experiences. Eugene is the ultimate college town. 120,000 people. Not too big, not too small. Portland is 2 hours away. Eugene is covered in Oregon Ducks stuff, it's not like the California schools. This town REVOLVES around the university.
1st Year Male -- Class 2011