StudentsReview :: Carnegie Mellon University Business School

Extracuriculars
Meeting People
Romance

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to Business School

ABsolutely amazing 70% get a top paying jobQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
ABsolutely amazing 70% get a top paying job and 30% go to grad school. The 60k salaries avg in my major which are on par with 60k from wharton and stern is definitely enough reason to attend CMU alone. CMU has given me a ticket to Wall St. and the internships and job opportunities are phenomenal.

The social life is also very fun, unlike what others say since they are probably the ones not taking the initiative and instead sit at home with their computers and complain.

Finally, the city is amazing. Takes some getting used to in order to find the good and cheap places to eat as well as the hotspots for partying but it is a golden gem. Absolutely amazing, would not trade anything for my experience here.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2010
I was a business major here.BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I was a business major here. You will be surrounded by some very intelligent people...both in a good way and a bad way. One thing I had to do to survive in this environment was to develop an immunity against being surrounded by rich, snobby kids (if you're one of them, by all means please go to this school--a perfect fit!). This school is prominently known for its research rather than eduction. Professors may be smart, whether they are good professors are a very different question.

In terms of the workload, I hear that it is great prep for the real world from many friends who have graduated. But what you will experience very often is that teachers will assume that everyone is so smart, and would just throw hard material at you and assume that you will understand everything---they forget to teach the material.

The biggest drawback is the administration. They are very poor in terms of offering classes that business majors needed to take(for example, a good majority of us are finance majors and one year they never offered corporate finance class). They make minimal effort in checking in on its students. As a senior, I see many people without jobs and the school not really supporting them in the job search process. To be liked by the administration, "sucking up" is required in my opinion. Unfortunately, I feel numbers back up my argument as student satisfaction rates are low and rankings are dropping. My impression was that Tepper in general cared less about the undergrads, and wanted to only focus on developing the MBA programs here.

Overall, you will be surrounded by many eccentric (drama majors screaming, singing, and prancing down the streets and hallways) and "geeks" (by all means I do not use this as a negative term), but you get used to it after a while. It is a racially diverse community, which is a very big plus, but with some negatives. I felt that the community was very clustered, which made the school lack a sense of unity.I feel that the overall undertone is negative, but I did try by all means to project an accurate reflection of my (and a number of people's) experience.

4th Year Male -- Class 2008
Preparedness: Reputation:
I had an amazing time at Carnegie Mellon.Super BrilliantBusiness - Management and Administration
I had an amazing time at Carnegie Mellon. I think the main reason people don't have a good time is they don't put in their own initiative to go out and have a social life and experience the wonderful city that is Pittsburgh. YES, I said it, Pittsburgh is a wonderful city for college aged people. Other than the weather, I find it to be amazing and diverse in its entertainment options, and the budget is great too. I enjoyed my classes and had wonderful professors. Wouldn't trade my experience for anything.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2002