StudentsReview :: Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences - Medical School

Oklahoma State University -- Stillwater, OK

Knowledge Level
Helping Doctor
Patient Interaction
Job Assistance
Overall, how would you rate the quality of your school?
Helpful Advising
Romance
Business

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to the Medical School

OK State is a party school, so pressureBrightPublic Health
OK State is a party school, so pressure to drink is high. If your not 21 you will not have a social life, unless you are Greek. Greeks and non-greeks do not get along. Greeks put themselves above the non-greeks by being snooty, judging, and separating themselves completely from the non-greek population. OK State focuses on Greek life, football, and men's basketball. The Academic point of view you need to have a 3.5 or more because of the competitiveness. The Greeks have high GPA's because they will take the same classes and give old work to the ones going to take it. They get away with this with a cover up "study hours" which is a joke in the Greek system. This undermines my beliefs of working hard for what you receive in grades because they get it handed to them on a silver plater. Financial Aid the only way for them to give you any resourceful information is to yell at them at least once a week and eventually they will be tired of you doing this and will give you the information you need. From my experience if you are not Greek please do not come here, financial aid work them down to get the info you need, drinking is the social scene if not Greek and academics be extremely competitive. I am transferring to another school when I can bump my GPA up a . something. I just want to add that I loved the sports here and even though I will be leaving soon that is the only thing I will miss and I will continue to support the OSU Cowboys in their sports efforts.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Preparedness: Reputation:
For me OSU was a great choice.Quite BrightPreMed and Medical
For me OSU was a great choice. I chose to go here because I was familiar with Stillwater and I wanted to major in Physiology which is a very specific degree. I also got a full academic tuition waiver which I only receieved at one other school. The College of Arts and Sciences has more variations on Biology, Biochemistry, Zoology, Microbiology, and Chemistry than any other university I applied to (and I applied to a lot of colleges). If you're thinking about studying science or engineering this is DEFINITELY a school to consider.

Overall, my coursework has been very good and fairly rigorous. The Physics department is absolutely terrible but I've enjoyed literally every other class here spanning from Biology to Honors Humanities and English. I have been very very impressed by the faculty who are generally laid back and friendly. For the most part, they structure their classes to be very beneficial to the students.

I also really enjoy living in Stillwater which has a beautiful campus and chilled out lifestyle. Everyone is friendly and laid back here which I really appreciate. There is no really dominant group on campus like there are at other universities. Greek Life is no big deal and nobody's really snobby or elitist like at other schools. Even the Pre-Meds don't suffer from the "I have no life outside of Organic Chemistry" syndrome. No one seems ultra competitive and most people I know really work to help out classmates that may be struggling.

Although I haven't had much experience with other schools' adminstrations I think that OSU's must be pretty exceptional; in general no one ever complains about the offices or advisors. I have three different advisors here (one advisor for Honors coursework, one for major classes, and one for Pre-med questions) and they are all dependable and helpful.The only negative thing about going here is that people tend to be somewhat close-minded religiously and politically. However, I honestly think that many of these students gain new understanding and perspective with their Humanities, Poli Sci, and Geography classes here. (At least I hope so)

2nd Year Male -- Class 2011