StudentsReview :: The University of California - San Diego Medical School

Knowledge Level
Helping Doctor
Patient Interaction
Job Assistance
Overall, how would you rate the quality of your school?
Helpful Advising
Romance
Business

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to the Medical School

I totally regretted going to UCSD.Quite BrightPreMed and Medical
I totally regretted going to UCSD. I really tried to make the best of it but it just keeps getting worse. The people here are so fake and the students (especially in pre-med and engineering) have a God complex. People here are not laid-back whatsoever. They're here to study 24/7. I agree with an earlier comment that the campus is so ugly with all the concrete and infantile artwork. It is all true. Visit other campuses and you will see the difference. Our campus looks more like a CSU campus and not like a UC campus such as UCLA or Berkeley. The social scene is extremely bad and I do not want to repeat what other reviews have already stated. I wish that I considered other school more carefully and really visited this school before I made my decision. Please do not make the same mistake that I made. Ask around and get a general honest opinion of this school. When I decided to go here and before my freshmen year, I said to myself that I will make my own fun and hell with what other people say... but it turns out that they were correct. The culture and atmosphere is so ingrained here that you cannot change it... even within your own circle of friends. I really wished that I took the time to research it before I made my decision to come here.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2012
Preparedness: Reputation:
After reading other students' reviews, I'm surprised howSuper BrilliantPreMed and Medical
After reading other students' reviews, I'm surprised how many students are in denial. This school sucks. You absolutely do not get the quintessential college experience. I recently transfered to UCLA and I can compare my experiences. Actually, there's no comparison. UCSD is just a commuter school with absolutely no school spirit. People just study (all the time). Generally, they are very closed-minded and they just hang out with their little clique. UCSD students are just dying to graduate and leave asap. Students do not realize that it doesn't have to be this way. This is not normal. College is a place to try new things and not a place to study all the time. College is also a place to explore different cultures and ideas. The diversity at UCSD is terrible. There's too many Asians on campus. I'm Asian and I'm can't believe that I'm complaining about this.

As for the science and engineering programs at UCSD, it's overrated. When I was at UCSD, I clinged on to the prestige of the science and engineering programs.... it was the only saving grace for UCSD... but in reality, the programs are average to slightly above-average. Reality does not match perception.

I recently went back to UCSD and I really hate all the concrete buildings. It looks so depressing. It never bothered me before.... until I have something to compare. I'm so glad that I got out. It may be hard to see my perspective unless you have something to compare. You cannot accurately compare something if you're in a vacuum.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Preparedness: Reputation:
Academics are tough.PreMed and Medical
Academics are tough. Campus is huge. It is only boring here if you make it boring. Everyone I know has fun all the time. There is the beach, downtown san diego, concerts, TJ, frat/sorority parties, dorm parties, tons of intramural sports, lots of nice people, etc., and you can visit SDSU or USD if you want too. There is always something going on and someone to hang out with.

University of the Cumberlands (KY) 1:positive