StudentsReview :: The University of Miami Medical School

Helping Doctor
Patient Interaction
Job Assistance
10.0 (A+)
Overall, how would you rate the quality of your school?
Helpful Advising
Level of Burnout
Social Life
Extracuriculars
Meeting People
Romance
Business
The U.  of M.  was a fantastic place to go to medical school; I doubt that there was a better place to go, although the price has risen greatly since I was in school.  Class unity was strong, and reunions remind us of some of the best times in our lives.  Personally, I felt able to compete with MD's from any other school, and I would gladly do it over - if someone could find a way to return me to my 20's.  The faculty treated us as individuals, and did their best to make us into good doctors, scientifically, ethically and personally.  I was in one of the early years of the U of M before many of the modern facilities, and its fine reputation were built.  Our classrooms leaked during heavy rains and we often sat in several inches of water during lectures.  We now laugh about that and Dr.  Paff's rough voice and crude humor, but it coudn't have been better.  I hope that it has kept its personal touch and that future doctors will leave with the same feelings my class had.

Life as a doctor is very rewarding.  There is adequate financial compensation and the respect and admiration of patients and the community add to this, but one must really want to be a doctor.  There are far easier ways to make money if you are smart enough to get into medical school but want to just earn money.  Please don't go into medicine for the money.  The world doesn't need any more doctors who are in it for just the money and prestige.  Go into medicine to practice good medicine, enough money will follow.

It is up to the person to budget time for a full family life, with the understanding that income will decrease the more time that is spent with family.  The secret is to find the right balance.  My children are grown now and I have asked them for a critique.  They feel that I found the sweet spot.  I asked my wife the same question with the same answer.  Since I am still married to the woman who I met the first week of classes, you could have guessed that.

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to the Medical School

Deciding to attend UMAveragePreMed and Medical
Deciding to attend UM was the best decision I've ever made. It is extremely challenging and very competitive, which I love, but very possible to get straight A's if you work hard and study a lot.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
AveragePreMed and Medical
Get ready to have a ton of work and no social life but it'll all be worth it.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
This school is notSuper BrilliantPreMed and Medical
This school is not worth it. You are better off going to a state school or another university. I'm leaving, I am so glad I don't have to come back here next year. Don't make the same mistake I did and come here, you'll waste a year.
1st Year Female -- Class 2006