StudentsReview :: The University of Chicago Medical School

Knowledge Level
Helping Doctor
Patient Interaction
Job Assistance
Overall, how would you rate the quality of your school?
Helpful Advising
Level of Burnout
Social Life
Extracuriculars
Meeting People
Romance
Business

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to the Medical School

A good place to meet other smart, nerdyPreMed and Medical
A good place to meet other smart, nerdy people. Kind of shitty otherwise. All the flack you read here is true: Chicago is cold, undergrads are ignored, academics are unnecessarily competitive and demanding, you're just a number to the administration, students are under so much pressure that they become suicidal.

As an 18 year old from a not-so-competitive high school in the South, it was good for me to rub elbows with my intellectual equals for a few years, a really good growing-up experience. However, it quickly became obvious that the school was not going to help me achieve my goals: it seemed that we learned no relevant job skills and only a small minority was being prepped for a bright future in graduate school: the rest of us could just fuck off already. It's really a shame because a lot of my friends were very talented and it seems like they didn't get what they needed out of their university experience.

Aside from the social factor I don't think I got much out of UChicago: I can barely remember what I learned; I don't think it was taught very well. I spent more time fighting for decent food and rest than actually applying myself to my schoolwork: the cafeteria was an hourlong round trip busride away and my room mate liked to invite various boyfriends overnight without asking for permission in advance.If you were an alienated genius in high school you may well fit in here, then again the experience of being alienated may not lend itself well to success at an extremely competitive nationally-ranked university. I thought it sucked a lot, but I'd probably do it again, I just wouldn't care as much or try as hard.

it's been many years since I've attended UBrightPreMed and Medical
it's been many years since I've attended U of C, but I don't really miss it. at all. the school is directly responsible for my last six going on seven years of extremely poor health, most likely triggered by exposure to toxic mold in the dilapidating dorm building I was assigned to.

my memory is poor from chronic encephalitis, but I'll go over my remaining impressions:

-- there was never enough time to study. we had to take busses back and forth from campus, and then back and forth for dinner. sometimes the buses didn't show up. sometimes there was no dinner. waiting for buses and then walking and then having nothing to eat at the end of it all meant that I lost a lot of sleep, also a lot of meals.

-- the workload was ridiculous. we all quit doing the required reading eventually. I quit showing up for lectures as it was such a waste of time, time I could have spent studying. having mastered the art of maximizing grades while minimizing effort, I applied this skill to all my subsequent universities, w/ the result that all my professors are now convinced I'm a lazy bum with no interest in the course material (they may be half right). in the attempt to instill a work ethic, uchicago killed mine.

-- I got a better education at community college. when severe neurological problems precluded any course of serious study, took up a math degree at my local cc. this was over 9000 times better as there wasn't anything else required of me outside showing up for exams three or four times a semester, and acing them. there, I realized the joys of "paul's math notes", also adequate instruction.

-- the students have a problem with eye contact, also with not being terrible people. I used to think everyone hated me, but then, when I left, my ex-roomie informed me that they all loved me. I would never have guessed from the way I could never get anyone to acknowledge my presence when we passed on the way to class. also cliqueyness endemic to teenagers, and people who attend "elite" schools.

-- some people actually attended high schools which taught you things, besides jesus. unfortunately, we are also expected to compete with them at a curve set at a B-. undoubtedly this was meant to make us harder workers, but rather the result was harder drugs.and yet I hear chicago calling my name again, probably because they offer proper financial aid. the question is, do I hate myself enough? I'm not sure that I do.

1st Year Female -- Class 2011
The initial adjustment my first year was difficult,PreMed and Medical
The initial adjustment my first year was difficult, as it most likely is anywhere you go. That being said, I really can't see myself anywhere else. Yes, some people here are obnoxiously arrogant, but that, too, is probably true of any university. Once you find the right group of people that shares your interests, though, this is a wonderful place. And you can most certainly have fun here. In fact, I'm having more fun now than I've ever had before. The University of Chicago is seeming more and more like heaven every single day.

Abilene Christian University (TX) 1:negative