StudentsReview :: The University of Massachusetts Medical School

Knowledge Level
Helping Doctor
Patient Interaction
Job Assistance
Overall, how would you rate the quality of your school?
Helpful Advising
Level of Burnout
Social Life
Extracuriculars
Meeting People
Romance
Business

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to the Medical School

I don't even know where to begin withAverageNursing
I don't even know where to begin with UMass-Amherst. At first glance, UMass-Amherst is a beautiful school with an overall friendly student body. The class sizes are small enough to where most professors know your name. The school is constantly renovating its buildings and therefore, the resident halls are top-notch. The administration at UMass is trying very hard to improve UMass's poor reputation. The school has several great programs, with one of the most competitive ones being nursing. UMass's nursing program has surprisingly been ranked as the top nursing program in the state. Unfortunately, some of the other programs of study are just mediocre. At UMass, it really depends what you choose to study when it comes down to whether you receive a good education or not.

Socially, UMass is a friendly school. Most of the students at UMass care a great deal about their social lives, and the overwhelming majority tends to party- maybe a little too much. As a freshmen, going out, drinking, and meeting new people may be fun, but with not much to do around town, that scene can become old and repetitive by the time sophomore year rolls around. As someone who likes to be well-rounded (get my work done, play sports, socialize) it is somewhat annoying that all ANYONE wants to do here is drink. I don't mean drinking to get tipsy or a little drunk... there are large amounts of students blacking out on wednesday nights and hungover on tuesdays. As a rising senior, I wish i could be around people who can keep me focused on important things for my career, not just on drugs and alcohol. UMass is still a fun school, but I'm realizing, do I only want to go to a school because it's fun? I'd rather not feel like the odd man out for not wanting to smoke weed and get drunk 4-5 days a week. As a senior, I'm doubting how well UMass has prepared me for the real world, but that is also tied to differences in programs offered. I do like parts of UMass, but I sometimes wish I went to a more normal school.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Avoid at all costs.Quite BrightPreMed and Medical
Avoid at all costs. Ugly buildings, overpriced textbooks, obnoxious student body who proudly tout the school's "ZooMass" nickname, 300+ person lectures, administration which hides out in a bunker somewhere only to come out for special events, awful housing system. But the food isn't too shabby.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2013
I am a Senior here at Umass, currentlyAverageNursing
I am a Senior here at Umass, currently in the Nursing Program, two weeks away from graduation. I'll try to keep this short. Coming into this program I knew it would be challenging as they only accept about 60 out of every 1000 applicants. I lived on a nursing floor my Freshmen year. I've found that most people who meet freshmen year are friends for the rest of their college years so I would not recommend transferring in unless you already have friends that go here. For the most part the social life was pretty fun, there are always going to be boring weekends but I have my share of good stories. The food isn't half bad and as long as your willing to go up and introduce yourself you'll have a good time here. A lot of people will write reviews talking about how they hate all the preppy kids that go here, but they don't tell you that they've never made an attempt to make friends. Ya there's douchebags but then again what did you expect, there's 25,000 people who go here, they're not all gonna be scholars. I think the school gets a bad rap because the classes are so big but that is only for the first two years, for the last two all of my classes were very close knit and personal. The campus is huge and it can be daunting as first but there are a million different clubs you can join to meet new people. The nursing program needless to say has been absolute hell. I had heard as a freshmen that the last two years were daunting and they weren't kidding. The assignments are insane, requiring endless hours of researching databases, and reading texts, it really is crazy. A good majority of the work in later years is just busy work and you grow to despise it rather quickly. For your last two years you do clinical, however we only ever had one skills workshop before they threw us into the hospital. For your last semester you do an internship one on one with a nurse in a setting you choose. Be warned that this program IS going to impede on your weekends. For my internship I had overnight (7p-7a) weekends clinicals. In all honestly it forces you to grow up, it's what separates the nursing majors from the management majors. However, This school focuses too much on the theory behind nursing and not enough on the actual job skill. I always tell people to avoid this nursing school unless you want to get an advanced degree in nursing. Otherwise just go with an associate degree program at a community college, they actually teach you hands on skill and when you get out, you might not have a bachelor's degree but you'll be making the same amount of money as someone who does guaranteed. However if you really enjoy a good challenge go for it, or you could take the easy road and be an art major here but I suppose it depends on how badly you want a job. Overall, the nursing program is very extensive. The professors are almost all PHD's and one of the professors writes NCLEX questions, as a result her NCLEX review course is astonishingly helpful. The assignments such but now that its done I can say I'm happy I made it through, it's been a very long four years and the hard work is paying off.
4th Year Male -- Class 2011