StudentsReview :: The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center-Health System

Knowledge Level
Helping Doctor
Patient Interaction
Job Assistance
Overall, how would you rate the quality of your school?
Helpful Advising
Romance
Business

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to the Medical School

I absolutely love Pitt.BrightPreMed and Medical
I absolutely love Pitt. I had two other top schools and after I visited and got into Pitt I stopped applying. I am not disappointed.

I didn't realize how good of a school this was until I got here. It is a large school but it's easy to make sure that you aren't a number by getting out there and taking advantage of everything that's around you. There are definitely things to do in the city but I honestly can go months with out leaving the area and be fine because there's usually so much to do on campus. There are A LOT of resources that I don't really see at other schools. It's very easy to find someone willing to help you. I am so glad that I decided to come to Pitt instead of going to the local school that everyone from my high school went to (also a good school but too close to home and not as many resources).

I was afraid that it would be hard to find good science teachers that actually teach since this is a research university. I have encountered a couple that were unavoidable but you can make sure that this doesn't happen by asking around and using ratemyprofessors.com. That site has saved me from agonizing through classes with bad professors. There are some teachers and TAs that had accents that I couldn't understand too well at first but after a couple of weeks and actual effort that wasn't a problem.

It's also easy to get involved in research. There's this First Experiences in Research program (that I didn't do but some friends did) that matches you with research in your field. You can also contact professors that are involved in research (read up on what they're doing first), and ask them if you can get involved. Sure some will say no but you only need one yes.

There are always arrogant, unlikable people wherever you go but I tend to avoid those so I don't really take much notice of/care much about them.

Hope this helps!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Preparedness: Reputation:
Coming from out-of-state, I turned down several moreQuite BrightPreMed and Medical
Coming from out-of-state, I turned down several more "prestigious" schools, but that was absolutely the best decision. Having been interested in medical and biomedical research fields, there simply isn't a better place to be with all of the resources at your fingertips. The vast majority of the professors take their teaching quite seriously, and are approachable and helpful, but they are also involved in great research so they are on top of their field. Of course, every school has one or two bad professors, but those can usually be scheduled around. It does take some self-determination to take advantage of what is here, it isn't spoon-fed to you, but I don't know how or where you would get a better preparation for med/graduate school. I just had a great time at Pitt, and feel it certainly lived up to, and well beyond, my expectations. The combination of the city, social scenes, academics, sports, research opportunities...it just all came together for me perfectly at Pitt.
4th Year Male -- Class 2011
BrightPublic Health
Pitt was a great choice for undergrad.
4th Year Female -- Class 2010