StudentsReview - The State University of New York New Paltz - Life at SUNYNPhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html Life at SUNYNP - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about SUNYNP for Music - Performancehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html I am a graduate of SUNY New Paltz, class of 2011. I simply cannot get over how my experience at New Paltz degraded over my three years there, capping it off with possibly the most awful graduation cer... Sun, 17 Nov 2013 02:15:14 GMT StudentsReview 1004-97154 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1004-97154 1004 26 Music - Performance Male Undergraduate Class 2011 3rd Year Negative I am a graduate of SUNY New Paltz, class of 2011. I simply cannot get over how my experience at New Paltz degraded over my three years there, capping it off with possibly the most awful graduation ceremony I had ever seen let alone had the dubious honor of being a part of. Other than being poorly organized and lasting well over 4 hours, our keynote speaker was a slap in the face to a bunch of liberal arts students who clearly weren't going to get any jobs. The speaker is the son of the philanthropist for whom the art museum was named after. We don't get a known figure, a scholar, a senator, even a freaking pop star, we get a rich boy who never had to work a day in his life, telling all a bunch of young people who are in debt and won't get jobs that "if they just work hard, they can achieve their dreams." Sickening garbage.

I transferred to New Paltz for my sophomore year of college after coming to dislike my initial choice for freshman year, SUNY Binghamton, widely cited as one of the top SUNY school academicly. First because I wanted to study music and second because of my love of the hippie-ish life style. I went to New Paltz sophomore year, enrolled in the music program and never looked back.

First, I felt extremely left out due to the fact that most freshmen had already carved out their groups of friends. Also, transfer students are not allowed to live in the dorms, so meeting new people becomes virtually impossible unless it is in class. Luckily, I found an ad looking for a roommate in a nice little house on Church St, they were a group of seniors (who yes, were friends since freshman year), but took me into their group which I was very grateful for.

The academics are a joke. New Paltz likes to pretend it is a lot more high brow than it actually is. Despite the fact that I had taken my general education requirements in english, New Paltz initially refused to acknowledge the transferred credits from Binghamton, why? Who knows. Only after a serious argument with the administration and admission of all of my writing samples from my Binghamton classes did they decide to allow me the credits, you know, because New Paltz is the ivy-league of the Hudson Valley. Many of the stock subject courses are basic information you'd learn in high school and there is an overindulgence in social sciences and psychological babble.

The music program (jazz) more specifically wasn't particularly fulfilling. I was lucky enough to have the great Vinnie Martucci as my instructor for private lessons, perhaps the best teacher I've ever had, anywhere. But the rest of the faculty is a joke who is out half the semester for one reason or another. Most of the music classes were a joke. I remember taking "History of Rock"... we spent two weeks watching the Beatles anthology dvd which is awesome, except for the fact that I own it and have seen it hundreds of times. I barely ever showed up and aced the course. Most of the students who are there for performance are simply NOT good enough to be performing in any kind of professional let alone semi professional capacity. And everyone is into the same alternate funky jazz jam stuff.

Linking to my final point about the nightlife. There are essentially four bars. There is Oasis, the bar for Grateful Dead covers and other jam bands or electronic noodle funk, hippies, hipsters, artists, and the like. There is Cabs, the freshman bar with annoying 18 year old kids blasting dubstep trying to pretend like they are at a big ten school. There is McGillicuddies, the frat/"Jersey Shore" bar. And Snugs, the townie bar. Take your pick, see ya in four years!

Nothing ever changes there. And no one seems to ever leave. Most of the people I went to school there with are still there, some even still in school.
Sun, 17 Nov 2013 02:15:14 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about SUNYNP for Sociologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html Most people either love it or hate it here. What sucks- the food, sporting events, greek life, cops, and overwhelmingly dirty hippies. what's cool- the rest. New Paltz is pretty chill for the mos... Wed, 17 Jul 2013 06:27:58 GMT StudentsReview 1004-94889 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1004-94889 1004 50 Sociology Male Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Positive Most people either love it or hate it here.

what's cool- the rest. New Paltz is pretty chill for the most part. If you like to party there are many (including tuesday nights cus there aint no school on wednesdays). frat/sorority houses usually suck, but after a few weeks you'll find out where you like to go (there's a wide variety). People are mad friendly, everyone is (or thinks they are) a musician, professors are great. lots of cool places to hike, bike, or just roam about...town's got some cool shops and places to eat... yeah, you should come hang out with me here.
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 06:27:58 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about SUNYNP for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html I transferred to New Paltz after a year at another upstate SUNY school. I really like New Paltz so far. I'll be a junior this fall. The elementary ed program is pretty good; the teachers are competent... Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:24:08 GMT StudentsReview 1004-94254 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1004-94254 1004 15 Education Female Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Positive I transferred to New Paltz after a year at another upstate SUNY school. I really like New Paltz so far. I'll be a junior this fall. The elementary ed program is pretty good; the teachers are competent and helpful. The school isn't very transfer friendly - there's no on campus housing for transfers and it's hard to get involved when you live off campus. Other than that, the people are very friendly, the campus is nice, and the town is fun and accessible. The majority of students seem very happy to be at New Paltz. Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:24:08 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about SUNYNP for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html SUNY new paltz is not commuter friendly, or friendly for those w/disabilities. I was on crutches for about a month, and it was extremely difficult to get around, nobody offered help and it made the fi... Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:25:42 GMT StudentsReview 1004-89951 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1004-89951 1004 58 Political Science Female Undergraduate Class 2015 1st Year Negative SUNY new paltz is not commuter friendly, or friendly for those w/disabilities. I was on crutches for about a month, and it was extremely difficult to get around, nobody offered help and it made the first half of the semester extra miserable. The construction is also a huge pain at the moment, and I have concerns about the safety of some of the older buildings (asbestos etc). The poly sci dept is probably the best out of all SUNY schools, however, they are unreasonable about giving out good grades...for the sake of not giving out good grades, which is really annoying. Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:25:42 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about SUNYNP for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html The school is like a walk to tumblr. Al lot of hipsters and athletes. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. There's always parties. Tons of potheads, I mean if you wanna party and see new random stuff ever... Fri, 21 Sep 2012 03:59:36 GMT StudentsReview 1004-89581 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1004-89581 1004 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Neutral The school is like a walk to tumblr. Al lot of hipsters and athletes. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. There's always parties. Tons of potheads, I mean if you wanna party and see new random stuff everyday, this school is for you. Every one on Campus is nice its kind of creepy. The campus isn't huge so it's not a drag getting to classes. The town is something you would have to see for yourself. Its like taking a walk through the 70s. The athletics are amazing for a d3 school its treated like a lower d1 with training. The classes are only difficult if you don't stay on top of your work. The greek life is alright. The food at the
SUB is good, there is sushi, pannin's (pizzahut), subconnectons (subway), and a few other choices. Hasbrouk, the dinning hall is only good if your really hungryy! I love this school overall.
Fri, 21 Sep 2012 03:59:36 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html