StudentsReview - The State University of New York New Paltz - Life at SUNYNPhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html Life at SUNYNP - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about SUNYNP for Sociologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html i love it here. perfect location (fairly close to the city), really friendly people, great town (everything is really integrated which is convenient). great professors and many cool events. party life... Thu, 14 Aug 2014 03:22:22 GMT StudentsReview 1004-120502 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1004-120502 1004 50 Sociology Male Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Positive i love it here. perfect location (fairly close to the city), really friendly people, great town (everything is really integrated which is convenient). great professors and many cool events. party life is available, though not shoved in your face. music/artsy kind of atmosphere, but there are plenty of different groups if that isn't your thing. everyone i know seems to really like it here Thu, 14 Aug 2014 03:22:22 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about SUNYNP for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html SUNY New Paltz isn't just a great school for the money, it's a great school in general. You will find all types of people here, not just the stereotypical hippie. New Paltz specializes in teaching, vi... Tue, 20 May 2014 09:46:05 GMT StudentsReview 1004-108982 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1004-108982 1004 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Positive SUNY New Paltz isn't just a great school for the money, it's a great school in general. You will find all types of people here, not just the stereotypical hippie. New Paltz specializes in teaching, visual arts, music, speech pathology as well as the liberal arts. They are trying very hard to expand their science, engineering and business programs. There is a lot of construction on campus which can be loud and annoying. Some buildings are gorgeous while others are ugly 1960's style. The surrounding area is beautiful and the town is quaint. There's a ton of restaurants, bars, coffee shops and a movie theater. With a car you can travel to nearby Poughkeepsie or Kingston. Most people who come here don't want to leave. Tue, 20 May 2014 09:46:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about SUNYNP for Undecidedhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html COMMUTERS STAY AWAY!!!! The college reduced the amount of parking and are trying to justify it by building an apartment complex for commuters, FROM NEARBY COMMUNITIES, to live in so they don't need to... Fri, 02 May 2014 08:49:16 GMT StudentsReview 1004-107462 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1004-107462 1004 52 Undecided Female Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Negative COMMUTERS STAY AWAY!!!! The college reduced the amount of parking and are trying to justify it by building an apartment complex for commuters, FROM NEARBY COMMUNITIES, to live in so they don't need to drive from their houses! They get tax breaks for being green with fewer cars and having off-campus students. Plus room/board from the COMMUTERS! Fri, 02 May 2014 08:49:16 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about SUNYNP for Music - Performancehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html I am a graduate of SUNY New Paltz, class of 2011. I simply cannot get over how my experience at New Paltz degraded over my three years there, capping it off with possibly the most awful graduation cer... Sun, 17 Nov 2013 02:15:14 GMT StudentsReview 1004-97154 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1004-97154 1004 26 Music - Performance Male Undergraduate Class 2011 3rd Year Negative I am a graduate of SUNY New Paltz, class of 2011. I simply cannot get over how my experience at New Paltz degraded over my three years there, capping it off with possibly the most awful graduation ceremony I had ever seen let alone had the dubious honor of being a part of. Other than being poorly organized and lasting well over 4 hours, our keynote speaker was a slap in the face to a bunch of liberal arts students who clearly weren't going to get any jobs. The speaker is the son of the philanthropist for whom the art museum was named after. We don't get a known figure, a scholar, a senator, even a freaking pop star, we get a rich boy who never had to work a day in his life, telling all a bunch of young people who are in debt and won't get jobs that "if they just work hard, they can achieve their dreams." Sickening garbage.

I transferred to New Paltz for my sophomore year of college after coming to dislike my initial choice for freshman year, SUNY Binghamton, widely cited as one of the top SUNY school academicly. First because I wanted to study music and second because of my love of the hippie-ish life style. I went to New Paltz sophomore year, enrolled in the music program and never looked back.

First, I felt extremely left out due to the fact that most freshmen had already carved out their groups of friends. Also, transfer students are not allowed to live in the dorms, so meeting new people becomes virtually impossible unless it is in class. Luckily, I found an ad looking for a roommate in a nice little house on Church St, they were a group of seniors (who yes, were friends since freshman year), but took me into their group which I was very grateful for.

The academics are a joke. New Paltz likes to pretend it is a lot more high brow than it actually is. Despite the fact that I had taken my general education requirements in english, New Paltz initially refused to acknowledge the transferred credits from Binghamton, why? Who knows. Only after a serious argument with the administration and admission of all of my writing samples from my Binghamton classes did they decide to allow me the credits, you know, because New Paltz is the ivy-league of the Hudson Valley. Many of the stock subject courses are basic information you'd learn in high school and there is an overindulgence in social sciences and psychological babble.

The music program (jazz) more specifically wasn't particularly fulfilling. I was lucky enough to have the great Vinnie Martucci as my instructor for private lessons, perhaps the best teacher I've ever had, anywhere. But the rest of the faculty is a joke who is out half the semester for one reason or another. Most of the music classes were a joke. I remember taking "History of Rock"... we spent two weeks watching the Beatles anthology dvd which is awesome, except for the fact that I own it and have seen it hundreds of times. I barely ever showed up and aced the course. Most of the students who are there for performance are simply NOT good enough to be performing in any kind of professional let alone semi professional capacity. And everyone is into the same alternate funky jazz jam stuff.

Linking to my final point about the nightlife. There are essentially four bars. There is Oasis, the bar for Grateful Dead covers and other jam bands or electronic noodle funk, hippies, hipsters, artists, and the like. There is Cabs, the freshman bar with annoying 18 year old kids blasting dubstep trying to pretend like they are at a big ten school. There is McGillicuddies, the frat/"Jersey Shore" bar. And Snugs, the townie bar. Take your pick, see ya in four years!

Nothing ever changes there. And no one seems to ever leave. Most of the people I went to school there with are still there, some even still in school.
Sun, 17 Nov 2013 02:15:14 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about SUNYNP for Sociologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html Most people either love it or hate it here. What sucks- the food, sporting events, greek life, cops, and overwhelmingly dirty hippies. what's cool- the rest. New Paltz is pretty chill for the mos... Wed, 17 Jul 2013 06:27:58 GMT StudentsReview 1004-94889 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1004-94889 1004 50 Sociology Male Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Positive Most people either love it or hate it here.

what's cool- the rest. New Paltz is pretty chill for the most part. If you like to party there are many (including tuesday nights cus there aint no school on wednesdays). frat/sorority houses usually suck, but after a few weeks you'll find out where you like to go (there's a wide variety). People are mad friendly, everyone is (or thinks they are) a musician, professors are great. lots of cool places to hike, bike, or just roam about...town's got some cool shops and places to eat... yeah, you should come hang out with me here.
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 06:27:58 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYNP_comments.html