StudentsReview - The State University of New York Purchase College - Life at SUNYP Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html Life at SUNYP - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about SUNYP for Music - Performancehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html I graduated from this school 8 years ago. When I first left, I felt very broken and upset by the way I was treated. It took me some time to recover actually. However, I have forgiven them and forgive... Mon, 01 Feb 2016 12:59:43 GMT StudentsReview 1010-172567 1010-172567 1010 26 Music - Performance Female Undergraduate Class 2008 4th Year Neutral I graduated from this school 8 years ago. When I first left, I felt very broken and upset by the way I was treated. It took me some time to recover actually. However, I have forgiven them and forgiven myself for what happened.
I think I received a generally good overall music education. Now that I am a working professional in the music field, I feel on par with those around me, and definitely more prepared than many as well. It took me a while to realiZe but I have Purchase to thank for some of my success. I could have done without all the negativity, political crap, and close minded competiveness. But, generally, I was given what I needed at the time. And it really helped me a lot today.
As well, many working singers and instrumentalists have come out of this rigorous program. It took us all a few years but many are quite sucessful.
I would say if you are planning to come here, be mindful of your goals. Take lessons with the faculty. Take as many lessons and coachings as you can, at this school and others similar. In the end, the decision is yours, and how you react and respond to stress will make you swim or sink in an environment like this. The music program and all the conservatories, for that matter, as a whole, are fast paced and hardcore.
The choice is yours. Trust your gut. And most of all- enjoy your college years!
Mon, 01 Feb 2016 12:59:43 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about SUNYP for Economicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html I am currently doing my FRESHMAN semester at this school. Ive used this website religiously to see what other students say about the schools i applied to. Im actually excited to do this for the first ... Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:09:09 GMT StudentsReview 1010-171405 1010-171405 1010 57 Economics Male Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Negative I am currently doing my FRESHMAN semester at this school. Ive used this website religiously to see what other students say about the schools i applied to. Im actually excited to do this for the first time. anyways, let me tell you about suny purchase.

Sony purchase was not a first pick for me. I actually wanted to go out of state, but I plan on transferring anyways. I live 20 minutes from the school. It's located in Purchase new york which is a wealthy suburban area. You feel safe because there is a lot of open space and the school is in a good area.

despite my short time here, I think I've seen all there is to the school. There's something you must understand. This school might as well be an art school. The fact that its a liberal arts college surprises me. 90% of the people i see are majoring in film/theater, creative writing, dance, or some other art type major. Im an economics major. So I feel a bit displaced surrounded by all the awkward art and people here.

People; the people here are quite nice. However, they are reserved. Things get cliquey real fast. Im not forming (big mistake) so while everyone appears to have friends, it's really just whoever they're dorming with and a few people who they sit nearby in class. I really wish people were more outgoing but then again, I should get involved more. I plan on doing sports and clubs. The upside to it is, if you have the confidence to approach people, it's very easy to make friends. However, I haven't really encountered much people who i would really bother establishing a friendship with. The student body seems to be as bland as the campus. Plus a lot of people dress weird here. Theres a lot of gay people. Personally, Im straight and I'm not homophobic. But I wanted to be able to make guy friends who chill together and hook up with girls. Don't get mad at me for that, thats the basic college experience. You can't do that here when the girls are already weird, unattractive, or gay, or a combination of all three. I think I've seen enough that I am sure to transfer out at the end of the year. If I don't get to play the sport of my choice, it's a wrap for Purchase. Overall, I haven't met one person who was hostile or nasty to me. Im a very nice person, so if someone is mean to me, thats on them. The only thing though I don't really like is that, I will go out my way to strike up a conversation with people and they can't do the same. Im not saying I'm a boring person but I'm very friendly. People don't see to show an interest in building relationships. I don't feel like chasing after anyone. But I guess everyone is caught up in their own lives, that making as many friends and connections as possible isn't on their mind.

Food; Purchase food is respectable. It's not restaurant style but I like it. They have a sushi bar, you can get a burger or sandwich, and they have chefs cooking in the diner hall. However, because of the many vegetarians/vegans on campus, the approach they take on food is affected by that. Which is understandable. It's just not my thing. I consider myself a guy. If i want to go get a chicken after a workout then thats what I want to do. I don't want to have to choice between tofu and veggies.

campus; the campus here is very clean. ID give it a A-. Just about everywhere is clean except for the bathroom which smells like piss. It reminds me of high school bathrooms which isn't a good look for a university. The outside is clean and there always seem to be constructing something somewhere on campus which is good. However, Everything is bland. The place was designed by a guy who designed women's prisons. I brushed it off but now that i think about it, it wouldn't make for a bad prison to be honest.

dorms; i did say I'm not forming but i have been in them. Only the freshman ones. The upperclass dorms are suppose to be much better. But ill tell this to anyone who's a freshman, there is absolutely NOTHING special about your dorm. Even the walls are just painted over cinderblocks. Theres three bunk beds and desks, closet, and thats pretty much it.

sports; people do sports here, but no one really cares about sports. It's pretty sad. The school is actually, athletically, a good school, but when you have mostly art majors, can't expect to have large turnouts at the basketball games, even if they did win the conference championship.

professors: the only thing that is making me still willing to get up and actually go to class are the professors.they are very knowledgeable. If you don't understand something, they can elaborate on it until you get it. I haven't encountered one who didn't seem to care about being there. They are willing to help the students as well which is great. I can't knock Purchase for that. Professors are top notch.

testing; exams so far seem to be fair. If you understand the material, you will do well. I consider myself quite bright, but it's like I'm a genius compared to other students. Im not going to lie, I did expect the students to be a bit smarter than they currently are. but then again, I'm just thinking about my "non art" type classes.

at the end of the day, if you do your work, but do it like you care, you should do well at purchase. I only had a 2.8 gap in high school (total laziness) but I feel confident about pulling AT LEAST a 3.4 here. Im pushing for at least a 3.5. Unless you plan on doing something art related, you could still come to purchase, but you will probably always feel like an "outsider". the majority of the courses are for the arts kids as well. The campus has a very "liberal" view which I don't mind, so long as it doesn't override common sense. A lot of the students smoke, surprisingly and they want to make the campus smoke free by 2018. but the rule isn't even enforced and i damn sure won't be here by then so oh well. Even, if I were an art student, I wouldn't come to purchase. Thats saying a lot.Its one thing to have almost everyone around you doing something similar to you. But campus vibe is so dead, and the people here are so bland that it kills anything positive about it which is sad because there are some really positive things.

One more thing, purchase and the financial aid office are pretty good. People always complain about this topic in particular but i had no issues with them in that regard. In fact, I even got my refund the first week of school and they deposit the money directly into my bank account which is why it happens so quick. I hope more schools do this so that students don't have to wait so long to get their refund money.
Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:09:09 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about SUNYP for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html I finish my first year at Purch as a graphic design student and I absolutely loved it. Here's some advice for incoming freshman: GET INVOLVED. PLEASE, GET INVOLVED. This is your school! make it yours.... Tue, 17 Jun 2014 08:28:57 GMT StudentsReview 1010-111096 1010-111096 1010 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Advice I finish my first year at Purch as a graphic design student and I absolutely loved it. Here's some advice for incoming freshman: GET INVOLVED. PLEASE, GET INVOLVED. This is your school! make it yours. There is this place called The Stood. It's a student ran organization/ building on campus. there are music shows every weekend, art shows/openings, and all sorts of cool stuff. we're all a loving group of crazies. come on through friday night! Tue, 17 Jun 2014 08:28:57 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about SUNYP for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html I need to leave now. I am a freshman in the school of Art + Design and although the program there is top notch, I can't finish my freshman year here. "We are only 1/2 an hour away from NYC" my ass. I ... Sun, 20 Oct 2013 12:00:56 GMT StudentsReview 1010-96576 1010-96576 1010 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative I need to leave now. I am a freshman in the school of Art + Design and although the program there is top notch, I can't finish my freshman year here. "We are only 1/2 an hour away from NYC" my ass. I am a commuter from the city (the Bronx). It takes me two hours everyday to get to campus (subway, metro north, Purchase Loop). That is four hours a day commuting, which becomes a problem when considering the shop and lab hours in the Visual Arts Building are mainly in the night. Again I can't complain about the quality of teaching in the VA but it is definitely not a commuter friendly program.
Neither is the rest of the campus either. The commuter lounge is a little ringy dink room in Campus Center North aka The Hub (a eatery on Campus where the food is comparable to fast food places at a mall). The Purchase Loop is supposed to come every hour. More often than not, it is very late and barely if at all sticks by the bus' schedule. If you miss the bus, pray it is not past 7 pm so that the 12 beeline can get you off campus.
Which everyone does on the weekend. They either go home or simply spend their time away from the square, dull brown, extremely ugly campus buildings. Their monotone color scheme just brings out the blandness of this campus, which was by the way designed by a prison architect. But don't worry, they are renovating it! You will get to here the construction everyday while walking or participating in class! Enjoy......
Sun, 20 Oct 2013 12:00:56 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about SUNYP for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html SUNY Purchase was one of my top choices and I am extremely happy I have attended. Our campus is known to be ugly, but it really does not feel that way and if you really need a change of scenery we are... Mon, 07 Oct 2013 05:47:47 GMT StudentsReview 1010-96346 1010-96346 1010 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Neutral SUNY Purchase was one of my top choices and I am extremely happy I have attended. Our campus is known to be ugly, but it really does not feel that way and if you really need a change of scenery we are about 45 minutes outside New York City. As a member of the DT Program it has been a very wonderful experience and has challenged me in all of the right ways. Definitely give this school a shot because i love it. Mon, 07 Oct 2013 05:47:47 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html