StudentsReview - The State University of New York Purchase College - Life at SUNYPUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html Life at SUNYPU - Comments en StudentsReview: Advice Review about SUNYPU for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html I finish my first year at Purch as a graphic design student and I absolutely loved it. Here's some advice for incoming freshman: GET INVOLVED. PLEASE, GET INVOLVED. This is your school! make it yours.... Tue, 17 Jun 2014 07:28:57 GMT StudentsReview 1010-111096 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1010-111096 1010 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Advice I finish my first year at Purch as a graphic design student and I absolutely loved it. Here's some advice for incoming freshman: GET INVOLVED. PLEASE, GET INVOLVED. This is your school! make it yours. There is this place called The Stood. It's a student ran organization/ building on campus. there are music shows every weekend, art shows/openings, and all sorts of cool stuff. we're all a loving group of crazies. come on through friday night! Tue, 17 Jun 2014 07:28:57 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about SUNYPU for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html I need to leave now. I am a freshman in the school of Art + Design and although the program there is top notch, I can't finish my freshman year here. "We are only 1/2 an hour away from NYC" my ass. I ... Sat, 19 Oct 2013 11:00:56 GMT StudentsReview 1010-96576 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1010-96576 1010 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative I need to leave now. I am a freshman in the school of Art + Design and although the program there is top notch, I can't finish my freshman year here. "We are only 1/2 an hour away from NYC" my ass. I am a commuter from the city (the Bronx). It takes me two hours everyday to get to campus (subway, metro north, Purchase Loop). That is four hours a day commuting, which becomes a problem when considering the shop and lab hours in the Visual Arts Building are mainly in the night. Again I can't complain about the quality of teaching in the VA but it is definitely not a commuter friendly program.
Neither is the rest of the campus either. The commuter lounge is a little ringy dink room in Campus Center North aka The Hub (a eatery on Campus where the food is comparable to fast food places at a mall). The Purchase Loop is supposed to come every hour. More often than not, it is very late and barely if at all sticks by the bus' schedule. If you miss the bus, pray it is not past 7 pm so that the 12 beeline can get you off campus.
Which everyone does on the weekend. They either go home or simply spend their time away from the square, dull brown, extremely ugly campus buildings. Their monotone color scheme just brings out the blandness of this campus, which was by the way designed by a prison architect. But don't worry, they are renovating it! You will get to here the construction everyday while walking or participating in class! Enjoy......
Sat, 19 Oct 2013 11:00:56 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about SUNYPU for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html SUNY Purchase was one of my top choices and I am extremely happy I have attended. Our campus is known to be ugly, but it really does not feel that way and if you really need a change of scenery we are... Mon, 07 Oct 2013 04:47:47 GMT StudentsReview 1010-96346 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1010-96346 1010 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Neutral SUNY Purchase was one of my top choices and I am extremely happy I have attended. Our campus is known to be ugly, but it really does not feel that way and if you really need a change of scenery we are about 45 minutes outside New York City. As a member of the DT Program it has been a very wonderful experience and has challenged me in all of the right ways. Definitely give this school a shot because i love it. Mon, 07 Oct 2013 04:47:47 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about SUNYPU for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html Purchase is a school that thinks "Wide Open". The school has a lot to offer by having four different Conservatories in the Arts and over twenty Liberal Arts degrees to choose from. The student life is... Fri, 07 Jun 2013 12:56:39 GMT StudentsReview 1010-94282 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1010-94282 1010 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Male Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Positive Purchase is a school that thinks "Wide Open". The school has a lot to offer by having four different Conservatories in the Arts and over twenty Liberal Arts degrees to choose from. The student life is extremely diverse here and there are a wide variety of clubs to join, i.e.. LGBTQu, LatinoUnidos, Cheese Club and many more. The Arts Conservatories are some of the best in the state and the facilities rank best among the country. The school is 30 minutes outside of Manhattan but has a ton of acreage to roam around on campus. Fri, 07 Jun 2013 12:56:39 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about SUNYPU for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html SUNY Purchase is definitely different than most schools. The place has its own culture and when you start school there, you will almost immediately recognize it. Its minutes away from CT and from Whit... Fri, 17 May 2013 12:28:31 GMT StudentsReview 1010-93943 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1010-93943 1010 53 Other Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Neutral SUNY Purchase is definitely different than most schools. The place has its own culture and when you start school there, you will almost immediately recognize it. Its minutes away from CT and from Whiteplains and Portchester. They have one bus that runs hourly.
So here is what the run down is about the school in my opinion.

Academics:
I give it a 9, you can definitely learn alot from the teachers here, also, some teachers resided on campus, so they were easier to talk with. The school has a wonderful library and Im sure since my last visit, it has gotten only better. The conservatories are great and full of hard working staff and students. The liberal arts and studies programs are wonderful. You will definitely not say that you gained nothing from the school academically.

Social;
I give the school a 5.5. Sadly the social life there kinda stunk when I was a student there. MOst people left to their homes on the weekends and there were rarely any events taking place. The occasional house parties were fun but over done. The parties that were held in areas like campus center north or the butler building (now known as the student center) Is used but rarely filled to capacity. The school has always had the since of being a loner, folks trickle in on parties at 12pm, knowing full well the parties end at 2. The only thing that gave the campus much life were the student organizations such as Latinos Unidos, Organization of African People in America (OAPIA), Asian STudent Association and LGTBU. The school has NO greek life, so if you are looking for the frats and sorors, this is not the school for you. HOwever, the student orgs hold a great bond with members and creates that fraternity feeling. The school has occasional events like fall ball, snow ball, culture shock (which never had any actual culture)

Sports:
The school is slowly gaining acknowledgement for sports, they were a division 3 school and basketball and soccer were their most watched events. Thats not sayingmuch, the average number of students that actually went to the gym to attend the games were usually less than 12. However, the school has picked up ground and is currently chasing NCAA status last I heard. The school also has alot of intramural sports as well and recently the school addedd baseball as one of the schools sports.

Facilities:
8 out of 10. The school is centralized, meaning everything is withing reach. All the class rooms are in dead center of the school. The library is in the middle of all of the facilities. You have humanites, natural science, conservatories, campus center north and south. Also thy have a wonderful theatre in the middle of the school and a museum. The gym is located further away but is a fantastic gym for a state school. The gyms boasts a large swimming pool, a decent weight room, several raquetball courts, large basketball gyms and even a bowling alley. They come equipped with saunas as well. Outside of the gym are several tennis courts and along side the dorms is another set of tennis courts.

Food:
If you are looking for the home cooked taste, then you are looking in the wrong place. Actually, no school will provide that to you. However, Purchase has undergone many changes in the food department over the years. They went from a service that only served burgers, hot dogs and sandwiches to more of a Mall like eatery. You have different stations for different kinds of food. Expensive you may ask? yes it is, but you have meal points of more bucks to pay for it. There are 3 eateries last time i check, campus center north, campus center south and the cafeteria.

Living:
The school has 4 sets of dorms, 3 sets of campus apartments. The dorms are centralized as well to the west of campus, crossroad, the farside, big haus and outback. the apts are The new also known as the commons, the olde and Alumni Village. (The olde is where all the major parties are lol)
Over all:
If you come to live the life of a student that has a large school with crazy campus life and frats and killer sports, then this is not the school. But if you want to try something different, where you really learn about yourself and people, this is the place. This school has a lot of pride, and the students are also prideful, the school is strong and it is what you make of it. If i had to start over and choose a different school, I wouldnt. I loved my time here and what it has to offer.
Fri, 17 May 2013 12:28:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYPU_comments.html