StudentsReview - Stony Brook University - Life at SBU Copyright 2020 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYSB_comments.html Life at SBU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about SBU for Mathhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYSB_comments.html I don't even know where to start with Stony Brook. I'll start out with the few positives that there are. A lot of their STEM programs are world renowned and considered to be the best in the world. The... Thu, 08 Nov 2018 05:00:52 GMT StudentsReview 1011-183896 1011-183896 1011 23 Math Female Undergraduate Class 1921 1st Year Negative I don't even know where to start with Stony Brook. I'll start out with the few positives that there are. A lot of their STEM programs are world renowned and considered to be the best in the world. The price of attending is reasonable. And that's about it.
Stony Brook has absolutely ruined my life. In high school, I was in the top 7% of my class and had taken 5 APs, still keeping my grades in the A range. I took AP Calculus in high school and retook it at Stony Brook in hopes of getting a better understanding. This was a mistake. The math program here is absolutely horrendous. Even with having a 90+ average in AP Calculus, I still got a B- in the class. The professor was THAT bad. Now, I am in calc 3 and on the verge of failing. With the math department here, it's either you learn nothing and just get by by memorizing practice tests instead of learning, or you are so lost that you understand nothing. There is no in between. It's very hard to get into classes that you want, and they don't make switching majors accessible either. I don't even know where to find a good advisor.
On top of poor academics, their resources for mental health are nonexistent. CAPS is here, but if you have anything more than mild depression like me, you'll get referred somewhere else where you have to pay for your sessions. The resources for reporting incidents on campus are horrible as well.
Their food is also horrible. There's hardly any variety and it's super overpriced. I couldn't get into a cooking building, so I am stuck with a meal plan even though buying groceries would be 10x cheaper. That is if I could find a way to get groceries. Their off campus bus service is horrible. And you can't have a car until JUNIOR year. So, not only are you stuck with horrible campus food, you couldn't even get off campus if you wanted to. The dorms suck, the room selection process is horrible, and it seems like everybody is miserable here. My high school has more spirit. The clubs here are mediocre at best. Everyone goes home on weekends and there is no sense of unity whatsoever here. All in all, the only thing they have going for them is the fact that they supposedly have world renowned programs. But good luck passing them, even if you were like me who graduated high school with honors and took APs. This is the worst college experience I could have asked for and I cannot wait to transfer.
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 05:00:52 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYSB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about SBU for PreMed and Medicalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYSB_comments.html I would never recommend anyone to attend this university for pre-med. The science department is horrendous, and you are pretty much teaching yourself EVERYTHING. If you do not have a VERY strong backg... Fri, 19 Oct 2018 10:09:56 GMT StudentsReview 1011-183820 1011-183820 1011 36 PreMed and Medical Female Undergraduate Class 1922 1st Year Negative I would never recommend anyone to attend this university for pre-med. The science department is horrendous, and you are pretty much teaching yourself EVERYTHING. If you do not have a VERY strong background in science, you will not do well. The ONLY way to survive is to form study groups early on or to get outside tutoring, as the tutoring center is booked the first week of school, all the way through to the end of the semester. The T.A's that monitor the labs are very unhelpful and expect you to know everything, which is impossible to know something you've never done before. The amount of busywork they give you takes away from the actual time that could be spent studying, and it's very counter-productive to your grades. There is an online assessment called ALEKS that's due every week, it's the biggest waste of time and sometimes it takes upwards of 6 hrs just to finish. The homework is pilled on you back to back to the point you aren't doing homework for comprehension purposes, you're doing it just to meet a deadline. If they got rid of all the busywork and allowed you time to study, the course wouldn't be so hard. The first day of chem. class we were assigned 4 assignments that took most of the class 17 hrs to do, bare in mind none of us had the textbook just yet (that was fun, scrambling for the book). The average for most of the exams are a "D" but they curve the exams so much that a "D" can become a "B" and they do this so it won't look so bad that the professor has 250 out of 300 students failing their exams. The review for the exam consists of the professor reading the slides he read the previous class that are full of errors and incorrect answers, so be very careful when studying from the slides, because they most often have inaccurate information on them. Oh and each class has a sub-class called recitation. for example, i registered for calc. and chem. ONLY and I have a total of 6 classes and I get homework from 5 of them that's graded and averaged in with my chem. and math grade. So chem. actually comes with 4 classes that cannot be broken up -_-, because you have to take the lab with chem. and math comes with an additional class. I have never been to such a poorly organized institution in my life. This school has made me feel inadequate and incompetent at times and I have to step back and remind myself that I've obtained a four year degree within two years and managed to graduate with honors. So it's not me, its's this school. It'does not set you up for success at all. I'm not sure about the other majors, but please do yourself a favor and look into another school for pre-med. You will save yourself time, money, and mental fatigue. TRUST ME. Fri, 19 Oct 2018 10:09:56 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYSB_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about SBU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYSB_comments.html I genuinely feel depressed at stony brook and I'm in my first semester. The professors truly do not sufficiently teach the material needs to succeed for an exam. I feel hopeless and trapped here becau... Tue, 25 Sep 2018 12:04:24 GMT StudentsReview 1011-183679 1011-183679 1011 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative I genuinely feel depressed at stony brook and I'm in my first semester. The professors truly do not sufficiently teach the material needs to succeed for an exam. I feel hopeless and trapped here because there is nothing to do and there is no life outside the university. Everyone here is WAY to intense and cutthroat to the point where it stresses me out. If you aren't into this intense competition, do not come here. Also most of the classes are 500 people or more and they only focus on weeding people out of the pre medical curriculum. I believe that if you have a dream, a college should support you in reaching it, not try to get you to change your mind. I will still be pursuing medical school at the other college I transfer to. This was obviously not my first choice and I'm thankful to be transferring next semester. One of the worst experiences of my life. Tue, 25 Sep 2018 12:04:24 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYSB_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about SBU for Animal Studieshttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYSB_comments.html I am a freshman in a Sustainability major. I am in the CSTEP program, the LSAMP program, and the WISE program. I am generally a really good student and I love meeting new people. Stony Brook isn't a b... Mon, 07 May 2018 09:47:17 GMT StudentsReview 1011-183188 1011-183188 1011 45 Animal Studies Female Undergraduate Class 1921 1st Year Negative I am a freshman in a Sustainability major. I am in the CSTEP program, the LSAMP program, and the WISE program. I am generally a really good student and I love meeting new people. Stony Brook isn't a bad college in my opinion - however, they focus too much on the sciences and are forgetting about the humanities and other important majors. They only care about weeding out people for the medical program in Chemistry and most of the heavy science classes. There's many things that they don't consider a science (like Psychology) which is arguable since it involves the science of understanding people and the body. Other than that, the college is okay. Commuting is okay - can be a pain but ten times better than living on campus. I'd never want to live with the people I've met who dorm. After my freshman year I dropped out of the WISE program - what a joke. If you want a continuation of high school, just join the program. I went in expecting a mature Honors program of prestige, and in the end it was groups of catty girls who are so priveleged and close minded. We had mandatory mentoring every week and I had to tolerate girls harassing me for rides every week to restaurants and girls who would take pictures of me during mentoring and laugh. Who does these things, it's college. The classes are ridiculous for WISE - you basically repeat the same curriculum over and over again, there's no actual use to the classes. Not to mention the girls aren't friendly in the classes. The program advisor is impossible to meet with - she is always out with Mono but last time I saw her she looked fine. The program is falling apart ever since she assumed the director position. I won't stand to be in a program like that. Be careful what program you enroll into and investigate what it's actually like. Do a lot of research and see if it's even worth your time. Mon, 07 May 2018 09:47:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYSB_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about SBU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYSB_comments.html Dont bother - you will get the same or better education online and wount have to deal with all of stony brooks bullshit. The university is falling appart - all of the sidewalks/walkways are cracked or... Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:10:28 GMT StudentsReview 1011-182447 1011-182447 1011 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2018 3rd Year Negative Dont bother - you will get the same or better education online and wount have to deal with all of stony brooks bullshit. The university is falling appart - all of the sidewalks/walkways are cracked or crumbling (particularly around the physics building) the required food plan for dormin students is a scam(over priced with low-quality food)
Also there are no student mental health services avalible, and Stony brook university is known for its high levels of student depression and poor mental health.

None of the teachers really teach - they all just read off a slideshow and then have online software grade homework - and yet attendence is still manditory. Almost all professors have also switched off of physical text books and onto e-textbooks. This means that you have to pay full price for an e-book that you will virtually never use and cannot return or re-sell, just so you can access your computer-generated computer-graded homeworks. Each class also uses a different website, and almost none of them post homework schedules to blackboard, this makes it difficult to keep track of homework. This also screws over low-income students who would normally buy used books or older versions.

They have over-enrolled commuter students, and so you have to arive 2-3 hours early inorder to get parking - but there is an entire faculty reserved lot that sits almost completely empty all day every day. There is paid parking, but it is very expensive, particularly if you are a low income student or if your classes are far appart.

The avalible classes are poorly scheduled - often forcing students to have a 1-4 hour blank space in between classes.

Tldr/ teachers dont teach; class materials require online access and are generated by computers and never touched bt teachers; classes are essentially overpriced online classes that require physical attendence; student services suck; there is not enough parking for the volume of students the university enrolls
Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:10:28 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYSB_comments.html