StudentsReview - The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry - Life at ESF/SUNYESF Copyright 2022 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYESF_comments.html Life at ESF/SUNYESF - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about ESF/SUNYESF for Natural Resourceshttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYESF_comments.html This school was the worst experience of my life. DO NOT GO HERE!!! The teachers/professors are awful and don't care about the students. Homework is busy work and really hard. Not a rewarding school, a... Mon, 02 Oct 2017 02:43:30 GMT StudentsReview 1013-181230 1013-181230 1013 27 Natural Resources Male Undergraduate Class 2018 4th Year Negative This school was the worst experience of my life. DO NOT GO HERE!!! The teachers/professors are awful and don't care about the students. Homework is busy work and really hard. Not a rewarding school, and when it comes down to it a degree from another school will suite you just as well in the work force. DO NOT GO HERE!!! Mon, 02 Oct 2017 02:43:30 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYESF_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about ESF/SUNYESF for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYESF_comments.html Tough school. Judgemental and clicky people. It's a small school. Everyone knows everyone else's business, and by your junior year you will be sick of seeing everyone and ready for a change. Don't co... Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:49:24 GMT StudentsReview 1013-172023 1013-172023 1013 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2017 3rd Year Negative Tough school. Judgemental and clicky people. It's a small school. Everyone knows everyone else's business, and by your junior year you will be sick of seeing everyone and ready for a change. Don't come here honestly, the reputation in the real world is not worth the work put into this school. Is the education quality? For the most part yes. But by the end you will be so ready to leave here forever. Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:49:24 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYESF_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about ESF/SUNYESF for Chemical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYESF_comments.html There are many good things keeping me at this school, but there are some that I would have liked to know before coming. -People are very friendly -Almost everyone is considerate for the environment ... Fri, 30 Jan 2015 03:00:36 GMT StudentsReview 1013-156926 1013-156926 1013 8 Chemical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Neutral There are many good things keeping me at this school, but there are some that I would have liked to know before coming.
-People are very friendly
-Almost everyone is considerate for the environment
-Professors are helpful and nice
-Plenty of activities and clubs to explore
Things to know
-Dining halls are very expensive
-Dining hall food quality is poor
-Constant crime reports (somewhere between 0-2 per week)
-You have to drive if you want somewhere nice to hike
Fri, 30 Jan 2015 03:00:36 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYESF_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about ESF/SUNYESF for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYESF_comments.html Biotechnology transfer student. If you're not a transfer student this school is good for you, or if you have only completed about a year of college classes. The school is absolutely horrible for trans... Mon, 13 Oct 2014 02:43:24 GMT StudentsReview 1013-142890 1013-142890 1013 53 Other Male Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Negative Biotechnology transfer student. If you're not a transfer student this school is good for you, or if you have only completed about a year of college classes. The school is absolutely horrible for transfer students. You're much better coming in here as a freshman and going through their pipeline of academics. Overall the school is a nice looking school and had previously been given great reviews, even by some of my friends. After being here though the logistics for transfers is way below average for satisfaction. The current classes I attend do not teach you anything. I am not paying to hear about current issues. You need to develop your own class for yourself. Just as one of the other posters said "you're better off reading and memorizing a text book than you are attending a class". I am very disgusted with coming to this school. Mon, 13 Oct 2014 02:43:24 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYESF_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about ESF/SUNYESF for Chemical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYESF_comments.html ESF has been an interesting experience. I am an older transfer student, so I went in with a "get things done" mentality. The department I am in is extremely challenging, and you have to be mildly insa... Tue, 15 Jul 2014 06:58:32 GMT StudentsReview 1013-113876 1013-113876 1013 8 Chemical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Neutral ESF has been an interesting experience. I am an older transfer student, so I went in with a "get things done" mentality. The department I am in is extremely challenging, and you have to be mildly insane to even consider it. It is difficult to estimate the importance of the coursework. I have worked a year as an intern, and a lot of it has yet to come of value (also not in the proper engineering industry, but you take what you can get with interning). None-the-less, my knowledge on the theory and application behind everything we learned has been expanded immensely, regardless of whether or not it is useful in the real world.

There seems to be many complaints by the students that goes unnoticed or addressed by the faculty. At risk of sounding overly corny, take your experience at ESF for what it is: a challenge that puts you ahead in many ways other than academically. You will have to learn how to read a text-book. You will also learn how to pull valuable information from it and, god forbid, properly cite it. You will have to learn to answer a problem that may not have a concrete exact solution, and defend it.

The professors are hit or miss when it comes to being helpful. They all have office hours, and tend to be there. They are (usually) more than happy to help. They also tend to be working on extremely interesting research, and are more than happy to fill you in. Also, the TA's are extremely helpful if you don't waste their time.

Once I got around to senior year, the professors, for the most part, literally stopped helping outside of the classroom. There were points where the student body complained about the difficulty level, and how poorly it was taught, and all we got was "you're engineers, you figure it out". While this is not ethical by any means, I will say this. I have received my review for my internship. While the NC State students get moderate to poor reviews, I managed to receive an extremely positive one for being able to work independently and still contribute meaningfully. I pay the appreciation for this response to the difficulty of ESF, and how the faculty and staff refused to hold my hand through any of it. And I say that with absolutely no tongue in cheek what-so-ever. So, yes, the faculty has to focus on research and bringing money into the college. And the students suffer because of it. That is pretty awful, but it prepares for the real world. Down the road, I firmly do believe that this environment will set me much further apart from others. Also, I am extremely happy that it is over.
Tue, 15 Jul 2014 06:58:32 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SUNYESF_comments.html