StudentsReview - The University of Rochester - Life at URoch Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/UR_comments.html Life at URoch - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about URoch for PreMed and Medicalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/UR_comments.html I chose Rochester over an Ivy League and glad I did. My friends who are at a large Ivy League feel incredibly stressed and their curriculum is cut-throat. Rochester's course work is very challenging... Mon, 15 Aug 2016 06:16:53 GMT StudentsReview 1023-174911 1023-174911 1023 36 PreMed and Medical Female Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Positive I chose Rochester over an Ivy League and glad I did. My friends who are at a large Ivy League feel incredibly stressed and their curriculum is cut-throat. Rochester's course work is very challenging, but the professors and TAs are supportive and want to help you learn. The nearby hospital provides amazing opportunities and the campus is not too big and not too small. Public safety has a big presence and the students are very approachable. It has been a great experience so far. Mon, 15 Aug 2016 06:16:53 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/UR_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about URoch for Chemical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/UR_comments.html I have had teachers say no when I have asked to meet with them. I have had teachers send incredibly rude and have sent inappropriate emails and have the school do nothing despite the evidence. I have... Thu, 18 Feb 2016 01:52:49 GMT StudentsReview 1023-172763 1023-172763 1023 8 Chemical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative I have had teachers say no when I have asked to meet with them.
I have had teachers send incredibly rude and have sent inappropriate emails and have the school do nothing despite the evidence. I have also had teachers who only have their Masters and not PhD.
In the Chemical Engineering department I have had a single good professor (Foster). He was the only one who even cared about the students. Jorne is so old he does not even remember what he is teaching and spends the majority of class staring at the board rather than teaching. The Junior Lab has three professors who are all disorganized. The main professor, Kelly, does not do anything at all. He leaves it all to Rachel, who is rude and undereducated.
Lots of busy work rather than useful work.
Majority of teaching faculty are just here to do research and not for the students.
Thu, 18 Feb 2016 01:52:49 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/UR_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about URoch for Geography and Geoscienceshttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/UR_comments.html I majored in Environmental Studies so my comments in the 1st half will mostly critique the EES department and the curriculum. So only some of you might find the 1st half of this critique helpful. H... Tue, 24 Nov 2015 08:27:14 GMT StudentsReview 1023-171821 1023-171821 1023 56 Geography and Geosciences Female Undergraduate Class 2015 5th Year Negative I majored in Environmental Studies so my comments in the 1st half will mostly critique the EES department and the curriculum. So only some of you might find the 1st half of this critique helpful.

Half 1:
Do not come here for the BA in environmental studies but if you really have to be part of the EES department, get a BS.

Truthfully, you will probably be most successful if you are an engineering major. My impression is that BME, Optics (they have new and beautiful buildings) and Chemical Engineering (though they have an older, crappier building) get the most resources.

The EES department is terribly small, invisible, and research-oriented so if you're ambitiously research-oriented/analytical/scientific/math/science wizard, the EES department might work for you and you'll get to nab at the few research opportunities available. Other than that, don't bother because the EES department won't bother with you.

I simply didn't have a clue about ANY of this when I decided on this. My degree definitely wasn't worth the $$$ paid for it. That's definitely my own fault in many ways. I wish I was goal-oriented and career-focused.

But the EES department won't help you develop in these respects AT ALL (unless, of course, you're selected for research). I wish my EES academic advisor (that's Karen Berger) had considered my situation and done more to counsel me. None of the professors will bother to notice or take any real action if you are on an unemployable track (aka Environmental Studies- don't do it, major in the sciences or geosciences) or struggling. They're not even managing a big pool of students, but they just won't care.

You need to have strong science skills, you need to do well in chemistry (<- especially chemistry) and geology (intro chemistry here is quite tough).

Half 2:
Rochester as a city: Cold, cold, cold, cold. You will be spending December-April in ice (note that summer break starts in May so most of your academic life is spent in the snow-despite what the brochure pictures show). It will be perpetually gray. Unless you have a car or know people with cars, you'll be locked on campus. The city is spread out and there isn't a hub of urban nightlife. There are pockets of nightlife dispersed throughout. Mostly, the city feels rather dull and tired (but UR isn't in the dull and tired city, it's in the dull and tired suburbs, good for you!). In the fall and spring, it's wonderful but both seasons together literally last a month while you're in school.

Clubs: Everyone says you have to join clubs in college. That's somewhat true- you need to be in clubs/sororities/frats to meet people. I met some great people, but the club's demands began to consume me (event planning). I began to pour tons of time into event planning. Don't ever feel you need to do that. Academics absolutely come first. Bail if you have to. Sidenote: The performance/dance clubs seemed the most fun and cohesive.
Tue, 24 Nov 2015 08:27:14 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/UR_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about URoch for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/UR_comments.html I had a wonderful experience at the University of Rochester, where I studied at the Institute of Optics. My peers were smart and friendly, and my professors were excellent at teaching and ensuring stu... Thu, 21 May 2015 03:03:57 GMT StudentsReview 1023-161753 1023-161753 1023 53 Other Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Positive I had a wonderful experience at the University of Rochester, where I studied at the Institute of Optics. My peers were smart and friendly, and my professors were excellent at teaching and ensuring student success. I had a balanced lifestyle between academic workload and social activity. I was able to get many internships as a student, and eventually landed a well-paying job right after graduation. If I had to start over, I'd come to the University again. Thu, 21 May 2015 03:03:57 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/UR_comments.html