StudentsReview - Ohio Wesleyan University - Life at OWU Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html Life at OWU - Comments en StudentsReview: Advice Review about OWU for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html In retrospect I would've been far better served at another university. I'll discuss the pros of attending OWU: 1. I absolutely loved the art department and am very indebted to them for the generous he... Wed, 29 Apr 2015 03:52:18 GMT StudentsReview 1071-160305 1071-160305 1071 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Advice In retrospect I would've been far better served at another university. I'll discuss the pros of attending OWU: 1. I absolutely loved the art department and am very indebted to them for the generous help given me by them every step of the way and I loved the courses I took therein. 2. Financial aid was generally pretty helpful and was willing to work with me (coming from poverty makes higher education quite difficult). 3. I was able to get a job on campus easily through food service and continue to work there now. The cons: 1. There is little to nothing to do on campus or in Delaware and as such I spent most of my time in Columbus. 2. Dealing with the administrative offices is a joke. 3. There is very little in the way of preparation for career advancement or job placement. 4. With the exception of my major and subsequent department I hated practically everything about my time at OWU. Had I not been given a generous scholarship I would've attended school elsewhere in a heartbeat. I feel that the art department has enriched my Fine Art education such that I can comfortably apply those teachings in all I do creatively, but beyond that, I have nothing positive to say about OWU. If you're going to attend a university my best advice would be to seek out education at a better school. For the extravagant amount of money OWU costs you can be assured a far better use of your time and resources elsewhere. Wed, 29 Apr 2015 03:52:18 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about OWU for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html For the cost of going here, I feel like OWU could do much better. The admissions counselors and the faculty in general do such a good job at luring you in so you'll commit to the school. Unfortunately... Sun, 05 Apr 2015 11:05:08 GMT StudentsReview 1071-159182 1071-159182 1071 0 Unknown Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative For the cost of going here, I feel like OWU could do much better. The admissions counselors and the faculty in general do such a good job at luring you in so you'll commit to the school. Unfortunately, once you get in, you are able to take your "blinders" off and realize OWU isn't as awesome as everyone says it is. The education is good depending on the major. The resident's halls are falling apart, the campus is constantly under construction on the academic side, and the people here are either very snooty and judgmental or incredibly awkward. Although greek life is incredibly small, that's all this school revolves around. Women aren't allowed to live in the sorority houses, and there are few sororities to choose from. If you aren't affiliated, you feel lost and you don't feel as if you are participating in much. Our football team is pretty horrible and unfortunately, we have zero school spirit. Our school's retention rate is awful - nobody wants to come here let alone stay here. The school constantly raises tuition prices to make up for their loses due to the lack of enrollment. Whenever they do get hefty donations from alumni, they spend the money on things that don't really help out the students much at all. Recently, they got a huge donation to make a labyrinth. A freaking LABYRINTH. Oh, and the winters here are terrible. The school never... and I mean NEVER cancels class, and our president typically runs off to Florida for vacation while we suffer the cold up here. It's ridiculous. Overall, I feel bad for some of the freshman here. So many are forced to leave because they just can't afford it. OWU tells you a cost of tuition as if it is a set price, but they continuously raise it every year. I feel like for the amount of money I'm paying, I should be treated like royalty. But instead, I find myself becoming depressed to even call myself a "Battling Bishop". (Yeah, that's our mascot)... Sun, 05 Apr 2015 11:05:08 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about OWU for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html OWU was not my first choice, but they offered a great financial aid package. I was not sure this would be a good place for me at first, but after freshman year, I got excited about returning. There we... Thu, 26 Feb 2015 05:25:55 GMT StudentsReview 1071-157588 1071-157588 1071 17 English Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Positive OWU was not my first choice, but they offered a great financial aid package. I was not sure this would be a good place for me at first, but after freshman year, I got excited about returning. There were a lot of opportunities to do interesting things, especially study abroad. Go if you can! It was amazing.

The professors here really care about students and they focus a lot of their time making sure you are challenged. I was rather shocked at the workload here---much more than I expected---and you cannot slack off and survive. Several kids I know failed out and could not come back. Just because this is a small LAC in Ohio does not mean that you can skip class and get by. The academics are serious and you really have to keep up with reading and work.
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 05:25:55 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about OWU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html Ohio Wesleyan was the worst mistake I've ever made. Nothing about this school is worth the money you're going to pay. The classes can be enjoyable and some professors can be enjoyable as well. Others ... Mon, 15 Dec 2014 02:13:33 GMT StudentsReview 1071-155157 1071-155157 1071 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative Ohio Wesleyan was the worst mistake I've ever made. Nothing about this school is worth the money you're going to pay. The classes can be enjoyable and some professors can be enjoyable as well. Others are very self absorbed and caught up in their research. They simply lecture all class and show off how intelligent they are.

The nightlife here is awful. Every fraternity is on probation because public safety won't let ANYONE have parties on campus. Most people drink in their room and then go out to one of the only bars in town called Clancey's. Clancey's is the worst bar I have ever been to. The music sucks, the locals are rude, and the atmosphere is flat out awkward. If you like to party this IS NOT the school for you.

As a freshman you will most likely be placed in Thomson or Bashford hall. I lived in Bashford and it was quite the experience... There are multiple bug infestations in the building so bring ant traps, fly traps, bug spray, ect. The bathrooms are absolutely repulsive. Walking into the bathroom you will smell shit, piss, and any other bodily fluid. NOBODY CLEANS THE DORMS. In the showers, the drains are clogged by pubic hair and grime. The sinks are full of hair and food. I want to puke every time I brush my teeth. In addition to this, my dorm room is an absolute shit hole. All of my drawers have fallen apart and when I put a maintenance request in, nobody ever came and took care of it.

This school is flat out depressing. You can walk the main strip of the University on a friday night and not see a single soul. During the week, you'll walk the same strip and see a bunch of lifeless zombies stroll by. Nobody here is friendly and it is extremely hard to make friends here. If you're into rock, skateboarding, heavy mascara, and smoking cigs, this might be the school for you.

The food here is very average and does not provide a balance of healthy but good tasting food. The expense for this average food is absolutely outrageous. Smith hall has the absolute worst food in terms of quality. The Hamilton Williams Campus Center or "Hamwill" has better food hands down.

If you do a lot of studying in the library I would suggest investing in a pair of noise canceling headphones because it can be an absolute zoo in there, especially on the 2nd floor,

I cannot stress how disappointed I am that I came here. It has been a very poor experience and I do not recommend this school to anyone. Please look into this school very carefully before coming here.
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 02:13:33 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about OWU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html The university only cares about money. You are required to live in a dorm for four years- with few exceptions to the rule. There is hardly ever anything to do on campus.... Wed, 13 Aug 2014 04:20:21 GMT StudentsReview 1071-120341 1071-120341 1071 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Negative The university only cares about money. You are required to live in a dorm for four years- with few exceptions to the rule. There is hardly ever anything to do on campus. Wed, 13 Aug 2014 04:20:21 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html