StudentsReview - Ohio Wesleyan University - Life at OWUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html Life at OWU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about OWU for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html OWU was not my first choice, but they offered a great financial aid package. I was not sure this would be a good place for me at first, but after freshman year, I got excited about returning. There we... Thu, 26 Feb 2015 05:25:55 GMT StudentsReview 1071-157588 Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1071-157588 1071 17 English Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Positive OWU was not my first choice, but they offered a great financial aid package. I was not sure this would be a good place for me at first, but after freshman year, I got excited about returning. There were a lot of opportunities to do interesting things, especially study abroad. Go if you can! It was amazing.

The professors here really care about students and they focus a lot of their time making sure you are challenged. I was rather shocked at the workload here---much more than I expected---and you cannot slack off and survive. Several kids I know failed out and could not come back. Just because this is a small LAC in Ohio does not mean that you can skip class and get by. The academics are serious and you really have to keep up with reading and work.
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 05:25:55 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about OWU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html Ohio Wesleyan was the worst mistake I've ever made. Nothing about this school is worth the money you're going to pay. The classes can be enjoyable and some professors can be enjoyable as well. Others ... Mon, 15 Dec 2014 02:13:33 GMT StudentsReview 1071-155157 Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1071-155157 1071 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative Ohio Wesleyan was the worst mistake I've ever made. Nothing about this school is worth the money you're going to pay. The classes can be enjoyable and some professors can be enjoyable as well. Others are very self absorbed and caught up in their research. They simply lecture all class and show off how intelligent they are.

The nightlife here is awful. Every fraternity is on probation because public safety won't let ANYONE have parties on campus. Most people drink in their room and then go out to one of the only bars in town called Clancey's. Clancey's is the worst bar I have ever been to. The music sucks, the locals are rude, and the atmosphere is flat out awkward. If you like to party this IS NOT the school for you.

As a freshman you will most likely be placed in Thomson or Bashford hall. I lived in Bashford and it was quite the experience... There are multiple bug infestations in the building so bring ant traps, fly traps, bug spray, ect. The bathrooms are absolutely repulsive. Walking into the bathroom you will smell shit, piss, and any other bodily fluid. NOBODY CLEANS THE DORMS. In the showers, the drains are clogged by pubic hair and grime. The sinks are full of hair and food. I want to puke every time I brush my teeth. In addition to this, my dorm room is an absolute shit hole. All of my drawers have fallen apart and when I put a maintenance request in, nobody ever came and took care of it.

This school is flat out depressing. You can walk the main strip of the University on a friday night and not see a single soul. During the week, you'll walk the same strip and see a bunch of lifeless zombies stroll by. Nobody here is friendly and it is extremely hard to make friends here. If you're into rock, skateboarding, heavy mascara, and smoking cigs, this might be the school for you.

The food here is very average and does not provide a balance of healthy but good tasting food. The expense for this average food is absolutely outrageous. Smith hall has the absolute worst food in terms of quality. The Hamilton Williams Campus Center or "Hamwill" has better food hands down.

If you do a lot of studying in the library I would suggest investing in a pair of noise canceling headphones because it can be an absolute zoo in there, especially on the 2nd floor,

I cannot stress how disappointed I am that I came here. It has been a very poor experience and I do not recommend this school to anyone. Please look into this school very carefully before coming here.
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 02:13:33 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about OWU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html The university only cares about money. You are required to live in a dorm for four years- with few exceptions to the rule. There is hardly ever anything to do on campus.... Wed, 13 Aug 2014 04:20:21 GMT StudentsReview 1071-120341 Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1071-120341 1071 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Negative The university only cares about money. You are required to live in a dorm for four years- with few exceptions to the rule. There is hardly ever anything to do on campus. Wed, 13 Aug 2014 04:20:21 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about OWU for Mathhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html I'm in the midst of my second semester at OWU (o-woo, the only thing anyone will ever call it). I originally wanted to go to a bigger school, farther from home, but OWU gave me a great scholarship (as... Fri, 24 Jan 2014 05:25:48 GMT StudentsReview 1071-100596 Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1071-100596 1071 23 Math Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive I'm in the midst of my second semester at OWU (o-woo, the only thing anyone will ever call it). I originally wanted to go to a bigger school, farther from home, but OWU gave me a great scholarship (as they do for many students) and I liked the school, so here I am. The city's a little boring, but it's such a friendly place. Classes are small, professors are helpful, coursework is challenging at times, but always doable. I'm still not a fan of the small student population (can't go ANYWHERE without knowing people, even after just being here for a week--but some people like that sort of thing). Biggest con: you HAVE to be on the meal plan and live on campus. few exceptions made. I'm hoping this rule will change soon--I think it's fairly new.
There's always a lot going on on campus. Which is good, because without a car, you're not very able to get off campus--well, you can walk into Delaware for a variety of small town dining and shopping options, but that's about it.
Greek life's pretty nice here. I didn't rush, but I might next year. Frat parties are fun, though they're all pretty similar so they get boring after a while.
They don't offer engineering or stats majors, which were two of my likely choices before coming here, so that was a bit of a letdown.
this isn't really following a very logical order.
the people are really what make OWU a good place--I believe most every faculty member and professor I've met here is genuinely kind and helpful. Most of the students are pretty decent too.
Fri, 24 Jan 2014 05:25:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about OWU for Journalismhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html Ohio Wesleyan has relaxed admissions standards a bit so that nearly 74% of applicants as of this writing are admitted. That is very different from what it was in 1985 when I applied, and I do hope th... Tue, 03 Dec 2013 01:08:57 GMT StudentsReview 1071-97824 Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1071-97824 1071 20 Journalism Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Advice Ohio Wesleyan has relaxed admissions standards a bit so that nearly 74% of applicants as of this writing are admitted. That is very different from what it was in 1985 when I applied, and I do hope that changes. On the surface, it might seem then that the university provides an easy path to graduation, and let me tell you, my current and inside knowledge of the school tells me that that is not true. Students who think they can attend Ohio Wesleyan and just skate by will be sorely mistaken. The professors, on average, expect excellence from the students; no easy A's or passing grades handed out here. Students have to work here to be successful. The work does help with the learning, so it's a good idea to put in the work.

If you can accept that, then Ohio Wesleyan is a terrific place to attend. People I graduated with have gone on to become doctors, professors, teachers, lawyers, journalists, and successful business people. The campus is beautiful. The students are well-cared for, and there are a million things to get involved in from Division III athletics to greek life to theater and more.
Tue, 03 Dec 2013 01:08:57 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/OWU_comments.html