StudentsReview - The University of Oregon - Life at UOhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html Life at UO - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about UO for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html International Studies Major. School spirit is like none other. Football games are a once in a life time opportunity for students. People are nice and always willing to have a quick chat no matter ... Wed, 26 Feb 2014 02:45:07 GMT StudentsReview 1129-102215 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1129-102215 1129 53 Other Male Undergraduate Class 2014 3rd Year Positive International Studies Major.

School spirit is like none other. Football games are a once in a life time opportunity for students. People are nice and always willing to have a quick chat no matter where you are. Many different places to go out (Campus Bars or bars downtown). Lots of events like farmers markets, concerts (Big names at the Matthew Knight Arena), beer festivals, and Portland is a very easy 2 hour drive up I-5. Lots of activities and programs to get involved in no matter what your into.

It was not my first choice, but I cannot imagine having gone to any other school. I will miss this place everyday that I am gone after graduation.

Go Ducks.
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 02:45:07 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UO for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html This school is really lacking, but they took tips from Nike on how to promote and market themselves well. Undergrad programs rely heavily on graduate students to make up the teaching force; cheap labo... Sun, 12 Jan 2014 07:51:32 GMT StudentsReview 1129-100034 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1129-100034 1129 38 Psychology Male Undergraduate Class 2013 1st Year Neutral This school is really lacking, but they took tips from Nike on how to promote and market themselves well. Undergrad programs rely heavily on graduate students to make up the teaching force; cheap labor. The school provides no value and is very overpriced for what you get. The radical agendas that lurk about the classrooms in this campus are foul. Many times I found the faculty to be just shy of being completely disrespectful toward veterans, while thinly disguising their views through the lens of academia. The athletics are worshiped here with the ever growing athletics complex, but be prepared to pay a fee or higher tuition for new buildings such as the Student Memorial Union. It wouldn't be too hard to digest other than the rudeness of the athletes, both on and off the field, and their poor representation through the media and in the classroom. This school does a wonderful job of supporting many diverse groups, but really doesn't show much concern for veterans on campus. They will pick apart any previous school work and dismiss it as not being adequate for university standards including Oregon residents with an AA Oregon Transfer from surrounding schools (more money). Finally, if I email an instructor, such as finding a fault in the tests, I expect a reply back, not to be ignored. If you are a graduate student teaching a course, I don't want to hear your interpretation of how real life is if you haven't stepped outside of the classroom, nor do I want to hear you simply regurgitate your last professor at Someother University, I can read their papers just fine without you assigning it to me, maybe bring and encourage original thoughts to the class. Be prepared to experience a student body that is mostly out of state(CA), this is another attempt by the school to make more money off of out of state tuition while neglecting Oregon residents. Unfortunately, I have my undergrad here, but have moved on to complete my graduate work! Sun, 12 Jan 2014 07:51:32 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UO for Computer Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html Overall I've had a very positive experience. I wish my department had better guidance for internships for underclassmen, but other than that I have nothing to complain about.... Thu, 30 May 2013 05:27:31 GMT StudentsReview 1129-94152 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1129-94152 1129 12 Computer Science Male Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Positive Overall I've had a very positive experience. I wish my department had better guidance for internships for underclassmen, but other than that I have nothing to complain about. Thu, 30 May 2013 05:27:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UO for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html I first went to Portland State University and I wish I never left to come here. The U of O basically only cares about sports and keeping to the status quo. Athletes are extremely privileged here and t... Wed, 27 Feb 2013 02:26:30 GMT StudentsReview 1129-92287 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1129-92287 1129 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Negative I first went to Portland State University and I wish I never left to come here. The U of O basically only cares about sports and keeping to the status quo. Athletes are extremely privileged here and the University is very slow to adapt to environmentally friendly and sustainable practices like banning bottled water, composting etc. PSU is WAY more progressive than U of O. Tuition at UO goes up every year. It has risen 115% in the last 10 years which is higher than Oregon's inflation rate and higher than any other Oregon state school. And the education is certainly no more challenging or engaging than what I experienced at PSU. I was a straight A student there, and I am a straight A student here, I don't feel more challenged academically since coming to UO. The students here are arrogant and shallow, it feels like high school all over again. People are literally completely obsessed with partying, football, hooking up, and being cool, which is fine, that's college, but it's excessive here and it's hard to find anyone who isn't this way. The UO will spend your tuition money on favoring athletes, renovating buildings unnecessarily, huge billboards advertising sporting events and who knows what else. I am not getting my money's worth here and I regret coming to this school. I love Oregon, but the city of Eugene is one of the most boring places I have ever been. There is nothing at all to do besides party with a bunch of arrogant high schoolers and it rains for about 9 months out of the year. Eugene is very beautiful in summer and spring but so is the rest of Oregon and it's just not worth it here. Wed, 27 Feb 2013 02:26:30 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UO for Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html I won't go to much into the general education part with the exception that the politics is borderline delusional as it's a University feeding into a bubble of idealism with reality taking a back seat.... Mon, 18 Feb 2013 04:58:35 GMT StudentsReview 1129-92081 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1129-92081 1129 14 Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Negative I won't go to much into the general education part with the exception that the politics is borderline delusional as it's a University feeding into a bubble of idealism with reality taking a back seat. Just go outside the campus area and it's mix of hippies and rednecks in Eugene. Also in the Summer you see the excessive Liberal Ignorance as the student population leaves. The campus is nice and the student life is fun, but watch out for the cops, they like wander around off-campus housing looking to hand out underage drinking citations instead of doing their job to "serve and protect" when there is too much money to be made off students.

My real ANGER is with my major, DIGITAL ARTS. Taught by 3rd rate gallery artists that took a maybe one class or a few weeks of studying a book or dvd for software, like "Adobe for Dummies" with little to no real world professional experience. I doubt they ever even had a job besides being GTFs or working at a coffee shop!
Example, I took a 3D modeling class taught by a Graduate student whose only experience was a 3 week intensive course during the summer. Or that I took a comics class taught by a Chinese Calligrapher whose only experience was reading "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud. You see a pattern? Total unprofessional experience of the subjects they are supposed to be teaching. How would you feel if after 1 class you were qualified to teach it? If you have any honesty you should feel like a charlatan, and that's what the faculty was.

Total incompetence and no organization, I would sue them for fraud if I could as they had no clue about what they were doing. There wasn't any mentoring, let alone classes about hot to make a portfolio for a job, because if these idiots knew how they probably would be trying to find work themselves instead of being total losers.

Why is this program such a pathetic waste of time? Because all the funding goes to the ARCHITECTURE program. The Department is even called "Architecture and Allied Arts", when it should be called "Architecture and we got your money so go fuck yourself".

Also, this was in 2007 when I graduated but I went to their Portland campus in the start of 2013 where the Senior BFAs go to. It's still the same mess of incompetence, disorganization, and unprofessionalism. And the Architecture department dominates everything. EVERYTHING. Don't expect them to help you get ready for the real world when everyone involved in this scam is too busy trying to escape from it.
Mon, 18 Feb 2013 04:58:35 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html