StudentsReview - The University of Oregon - Life at UOhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html Life at UO - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UO for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html Forget EVERY getting student tickets to Football games. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. In seven years of trying my sister and where able to get 1 ticket between us to a crap game. Their website and ticket iss... Sun, 31 Aug 2014 10:46:28 GMT StudentsReview 1129-123120 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1129-123120 1129 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Negative Forget EVERY getting student tickets to Football games. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. In seven years of trying my sister and where able to get 1 ticket between us to a crap game. Their website and ticket issue system are old and very outdated. Sun, 31 Aug 2014 10:46:28 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UO for Economicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html Now that I've been accepted to transfer to a quality, highly selective private school, I can discuss my opinion of this state school without the fear of being stuck here for another two years. The Uni... Sat, 03 May 2014 08:02:12 GMT StudentsReview 1129-107535 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1129-107535 1129 57 Economics Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Neutral Now that I've been accepted to transfer to a quality, highly selective private school, I can discuss my opinion of this state school without the fear of being stuck here for another two years. The University of Oregon makes little sense. There are a lot of good bad things about the school that I've learned over my freshman year.

Firstly, don't expect much for your classmates. I was constantly impressed about how simple-minded my peers were. I found several people of similar competence who agreed with me, but somehow they are okay with the lack of intelligence in the student population.

Next, there are tons of things you can do to fill your time (because there's no way that a full schedule here will keep someone busy). I got a job, played on club teams, played on intramural teams (won a few Champion Tshirts) got another job, did a lot of transfer applications, and filled up the rest of my time with electives because there are tons of them here! I'm not just talking about academic ones. There are martial arts with great instructors, dance classes from swing to ballet to tango, and normal sports like badminton, swimming, etc to keep you in shape. These classes were the ones I found most meaningful in my time here.

Eugene is pretty boring. You can take trips if you're outdoorsy, organized by the awesome outdoor program. There are a few hills and great trails if you're into running/hiking/biking, there's a concert every once in a while, there are some bars if you're over 21, but besides drinking on weekends at house parties there isn't much liveliness to the city for an undergraduate.

The professors are mostly absolutely fantastic! I adored all of my econ professors and the department in general, my organic professors were great (I'm one class away from a biochem minor here). I hear that the math professors at any level above high school math (calculus and up) barely speak english and lack any sort of teaching skill, but that's all vicarious because I finished calc in high school and there isn't any more math requirement for biochem or econ majors. My foreign language professor was also great, and tried to get me to major in Romance Languages on to of econ. I would have if I didn't want to leave. All my professors but one were helpful, smart, enthusiastic, engaging and caring about their students, and very willing to write me letters of recommendation.

I haven't met one even slightly capable business student. It's not just me, most people I've talked to agree. I'm always surprised about how they dress themselves let alone manage to get C's in their classes (because the higher grades go to people who have a real career goal and are most definitely NOT business majors, but students in business classes because it's an easy way to pad your GPA and add a minor). I am entertained whenever I hear a business major say his goal is to own a business. It's hilarious. I'm gonna miss that.

Frat guys are great. At least for making the curve for a class go in your favor. Then again, professors will slow the class down so that the frat guys can understand at least some of it. Maybe it just limits how much you learn. Hence me leaving. Honestly, I would have probably rushed just so I could party more and have a good, unproductive time during the rest of college.

For residence halls, the food here is actually really really good. RA's (Residential assistants) are a huge pain until they start looking the other way, which most of them want to do because busting college students for drinking is one of the more illogical practices in this country. Still, there are some who will write you up for coughing after 11pm. Luckily being written up has little to no consequence, so it's not a big deal.

I wish I could have done some of the study-abroad offered here. So many options and opportunities. Oh well.

Overall, I'd say that this school was not the best place of me, as I am capable of handling a bit more, um... rigor. Still, I have learned much more than I thought I would here, not just about organic synthesis reactions, classical physics, or demand functions, but also about various martial arts, strokes for swimming, tango, waltz, ballet, tennis, table tennis (I played on the club team) and what I want in life. I figured out what career I will pursue, am well on my way to a bachelors degree, and I'm debt-free. What more could I ask for in a freshman year? Well, lots. All I've been thinking to myself for the past year is GET ME OUTTA HERE but hey, it usually wasn't complete hell.
Sat, 03 May 2014 08:02:12 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UO for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html International Studies Major. School spirit is like none other. Football games are a once in a life time opportunity for students. People are nice and always willing to have a quick chat no matter ... Wed, 26 Feb 2014 02:45:07 GMT StudentsReview 1129-102215 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1129-102215 1129 53 Other Male Undergraduate Class 2014 3rd Year Positive International Studies Major.

School spirit is like none other. Football games are a once in a life time opportunity for students. People are nice and always willing to have a quick chat no matter where you are. Many different places to go out (Campus Bars or bars downtown). Lots of events like farmers markets, concerts (Big names at the Matthew Knight Arena), beer festivals, and Portland is a very easy 2 hour drive up I-5. Lots of activities and programs to get involved in no matter what your into.

It was not my first choice, but I cannot imagine having gone to any other school. I will miss this place everyday that I am gone after graduation.

Go Ducks.
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 02:45:07 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UO for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html This school is really lacking, but they took tips from Nike on how to promote and market themselves well. Undergrad programs rely heavily on graduate students to make up the teaching force; cheap labo... Sun, 12 Jan 2014 07:51:32 GMT StudentsReview 1129-100034 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1129-100034 1129 38 Psychology Male Undergraduate Class 2013 1st Year Neutral This school is really lacking, but they took tips from Nike on how to promote and market themselves well. Undergrad programs rely heavily on graduate students to make up the teaching force; cheap labor. The school provides no value and is very overpriced for what you get. The radical agendas that lurk about the classrooms in this campus are foul. Many times I found the faculty to be just shy of being completely disrespectful toward veterans, while thinly disguising their views through the lens of academia. The athletics are worshiped here with the ever growing athletics complex, but be prepared to pay a fee or higher tuition for new buildings such as the Student Memorial Union. It wouldn't be too hard to digest other than the rudeness of the athletes, both on and off the field, and their poor representation through the media and in the classroom. This school does a wonderful job of supporting many diverse groups, but really doesn't show much concern for veterans on campus. They will pick apart any previous school work and dismiss it as not being adequate for university standards including Oregon residents with an AA Oregon Transfer from surrounding schools (more money). Finally, if I email an instructor, such as finding a fault in the tests, I expect a reply back, not to be ignored. If you are a graduate student teaching a course, I don't want to hear your interpretation of how real life is if you haven't stepped outside of the classroom, nor do I want to hear you simply regurgitate your last professor at Someother University, I can read their papers just fine without you assigning it to me, maybe bring and encourage original thoughts to the class. Be prepared to experience a student body that is mostly out of state(CA), this is another attempt by the school to make more money off of out of state tuition while neglecting Oregon residents. Unfortunately, I have my undergrad here, but have moved on to complete my graduate work! Sun, 12 Jan 2014 07:51:32 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UO for Computer Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html Overall I've had a very positive experience. I wish my department had better guidance for internships for underclassmen, but other than that I have nothing to complain about.... Thu, 30 May 2013 05:27:31 GMT StudentsReview 1129-94152 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1129-94152 1129 12 Computer Science Male Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Positive Overall I've had a very positive experience. I wish my department had better guidance for internships for underclassmen, but other than that I have nothing to complain about. Thu, 30 May 2013 05:27:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/OR/UO_comments.html