StudentsReview - Carnegie Mellon University - Life at CMU Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/CMU_comments.html Life at CMU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about CMU for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/CMU_comments.html Be REALLY REALLY sure of your major before going here.... Sat, 11 Jul 2015 11:33:09 GMT StudentsReview 1150-163126 1150-163126 1150 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Positive Be REALLY REALLY sure of your major before going here. Sat, 11 Jul 2015 11:33:09 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/CMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CMU for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/CMU_comments.html As someone who thoroughly read through the student reviews on the website prior to coming to college, I thought it would be only fair to contribute my two cents after my first year at Carnegie Mellon.... Sun, 14 Jun 2015 07:23:20 GMT StudentsReview 1150-162325 1150-162325 1150 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Neutral As someone who thoroughly read through the student reviews on the website prior to coming to college, I thought it would be only fair to contribute my two cents after my first year at Carnegie Mellon. I will try my best to give an accurate, honest account of my first-year experience (so take this all with a grain of salt, as my experience is not everyone's experience).

I will start with the bad first (sorry). Before coming into CMU, I had a lot of high expectations, not only academically but also socially. Due to the images presented to me in media outlets, I thought that college was some "magical time" to find yourself, grow, make your best friends, and of course, become the best four years of your life. Unfortunately, I was wrong. The minute I stepped onto CMU's campus for move-in day, I thought I was in the wrong place. Nonetheless, I held out hope during Orientation, but I still did not find my "best friends," nor did I like the school atmosphere any better. Additionally, campus was REALLY small, Pittsburgh was kind of ratchet, I wasn't interested in most of the club offerings, and sometimes the social scene sucked.I knew coming in that CMU is a nerd school, but I had apparently not thought about it enough. To give you some more context, I had also turned down an amazing offer to go to NYU (another note: I have dreamed of New York my whole life) due to a gut feeling to come to CMU, so that made me more disappointed that I didn't choose NYU. It's safe to say that I was certainly unhappy with CMU during those first few months, and even more upset with myself for giving up NYU. I was disappointed that my high expectations weren't met, and felt alone at school.

Now for the positives. Despite my struggles to fit in first semester, it got better towards the end of first semester and second semester. Although I still haven't found my "best friends," I've learned that relationships take time to build, and your lifelong friends may not become your lifelong friends immediately. I'm really glad that I met some of the people I did at CMU. I've also had pretty good experiences with the academic side of things. The professors I've had are generally willing to help students. While you will certainly have those large lecture classes with 100+ students, I've also had classes where the number is less than 10. If you reach out, professors will get to know you, and will go out of their way to help you learn.

As for some advice for freshmen considering CMU, make sure to do your research (i.e. what programs/majors you are looking into, what classes you must take, AP/IB credits, etc.). I would also suggest visiting and staying overnight if you can, so you can get a feel of CMU and go around Pittsburgh.

If I could do my decision over again, I'm not sure I would choose CMU, but I'm also not sure if I wouldn't. Perhaps the most important thing to learn from this review is that if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to, it WILL get better. Freshmen year is a time of transition and a time to figure out this baby step into the real world. I hope this helps--you can do it!
Sun, 14 Jun 2015 07:23:20 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/CMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about CMU for Animal Studieshttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/CMU_comments.html CMU is a great university. It is really challenging for me and I like challenges. Most people don't judge one another so you can be your true self. It's really fun and the faculty are really nice. I r... Mon, 27 Apr 2015 09:49:56 GMT StudentsReview 1150-160238 1150-160238 1150 45 Animal Studies Female Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Positive CMU is a great university. It is really challenging for me and I like challenges. Most people don't judge one another so you can be your true self. It's really fun and the faculty are really nice. I recommend going to this college. I learned many things and this college is really helpful. Everyone is friendly and has school spirit. it's a great school. Mon, 27 Apr 2015 09:49:56 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/CMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about CMU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/CMU_comments.html Students at CMU spend a lot of time working and professors have high expectation. This makes the social life not as good as a less rigorous college. However, I came out of CMU a much smarter person an... Tue, 04 Nov 2014 02:33:53 GMT StudentsReview 1150-152734 1150-152734 1150 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2013 4th Year Positive Students at CMU spend a lot of time working and professors have high expectation. This makes the social life not as good as a less rigorous college. However, I came out of CMU a much smarter person and better problem solver than I came in as. It is very easy to get involved with research, and there are a lot of students clubs. Pittsburgh is a decent city to go to college in. CMU also is a bit less bureaucratic than many other top tier universities is. CMU is a great size. It's big enough that there's lots of opportunities and recruiters know about the school, but small enough that you will be able to get to know your classmates and professors. Tue, 04 Nov 2014 02:33:53 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/CMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about CMU for Computer Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/CMU_comments.html If you are comfortable around geeks and nerds, CMU is the place for you. Academically, it's an exceptional school. Even after graduating, CMUers are well respected in most industry (There is a reaso... Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:31:08 GMT StudentsReview 1150-109955 1150-109955 1150 11 Computer Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2018 4th Year Positive If you are comfortable around geeks and nerds, CMU is the place for you.
Academically, it's an exceptional school. Even after graduating, CMUers are well respected in most industry (There is a reason why CMU graduates earn the highest starting salary in the nation). So if you are willing to compromise your social life for your career, come to CMU.

But honestly, the city of Pittsburgh itself isn't all that bad, and I am from NY. But there is nothing much going on in the campus. Expect most of students to be at the library even when Steelers are winning the Super Bowl.
Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:31:08 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/CMU_comments.html