StudentsReview - The Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Life at IUPhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/IUP_comments.html Life at IUP - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about IUP for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/IUP_comments.html Besides it being absolutely freezing this winter, I love it here. This wasn't my dream school and I actually got accepted there, but IUP was more affordable and had more to offer than my dream of goi... Fri, 24 Jan 2014 04:35:24 GMT StudentsReview 1171-100597 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1171-100597 1171 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive Besides it being absolutely freezing this winter, I love it here. This wasn't my dream school and I actually got accepted there, but IUP was more affordable and had more to offer than my dream of going to college in Florida. Anyways, IUP is a great place to be. It is a party school, but that doesn't mean you won't make friends if you don't party. You won't make friends if you're rude and unwilling to talk to new people. Plenty of people are willing to meet you, especially freshman because most of us are completely new. I met so many new people last semester and hangout with them every weekend. I partied occasionally, but most of the time I didn't. Even though I didn't party I could still hangout with them and just have a good time either way. Aside from the party atmosphere, the educational side is fine as long as you get the right professors. My first semester was kind of rough because I didn't carefully pick my professors, but this semester I went on ratemyprofessors and it was much easier to find a good professor for each class. This school has already helped me gain so much knowledge about who I am as a person and the world around me and I couldn't ask for anything more. Fri, 24 Jan 2014 04:35:24 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/IUP_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about IUP for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/IUP_comments.html Warning do not listen to the bullshit they will hand feed you during visit and orientation. They come off and brainwash as IUP is completely perfect and the world is just beautiful. Its not. First I'l... Sat, 04 Jan 2014 11:56:28 GMT StudentsReview 1171-99629 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1171-99629 1171 15 Education Male Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Negative Warning do not listen to the bullshit they will hand feed you during visit and orientation. They come off and brainwash as IUP is completely perfect and the world is just beautiful. Its not. First I'll strait with the student body.The people here are rude, selfish, and very judgmental. Considering that this school virtually accepts anyone with a plus, the student here care about getting wasted, puking in bushes, and getting on the TV Show Campus PD. In fact if you are not into the drug or drinking scene people WILL Treat you different. Most students skip class Thursday-Friday as they are pre gaming for their night out. And as for the parties, they suck. All the places to party at are in some creeps smelly basement in the bare ass of Indiana. For academics, the classes were unchallenging and simply a waste of time. To make deans list here you simply need a 3.25 which is very easy to obtain (Not for most people at this school though) the school forces you to take crap classes you don't need. For example as an education major I was forced to take a terrible music class, with over 200 students and a crazy professor who loved to force us to salsa dance. The food is shit nothing more to say. The administration DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AT ALL. My advisor was some jerk young kid who bragged about how he flunked out of WVU once before graduating. He made fun of my goals and plans calling them "Stupid" When I decided to transfer, getting this school to do anything for you was like pulling teeth. I had to go to several offices numerous times to argue with people on why my transcripts where not sent out. Their answer was "We didn't feel like it" My personal favorite was when I had a harassing roommate. When I expressed my concerns, the housing office forced ME to move out and into some random other room. Hows that fair. Simply put: DO NOT GO TO THIS "SCHOOL" its basically an over priced playground. You will be miserable. In fact you will do the same as I did and transfer after 1 SEMESTER. Please save yourself years of hell and actually go to a real University Sat, 04 Jan 2014 11:56:28 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/IUP_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about IUP for Music Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/IUP_comments.html I'm a junior music education major at IUP. They have a very excellent music department and I recommend anybody that is interested in music education to look into IUP. There has to be at least 30 pract... Fri, 27 Dec 2013 02:42:12 GMT StudentsReview 1171-99240 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1171-99240 1171 49 Music Education Female Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Positive I'm a junior music education major at IUP. They have a very excellent music department and I recommend anybody that is interested in music education to look into IUP. There has to be at least 30 practice rooms, each with a piano. A lot of people don't consider IUP because it's in a small town, but it's much more affordable than all of the schools in Pittsburgh. The classes are small and the majority of the faculty is very helpful. I'm having a great experience here, and I love it! Fri, 27 Dec 2013 02:42:12 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/IUP_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about IUP for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/IUP_comments.html IUP could be the right school for you, but it wasn't for me. My advice is take your college research very seriously before you choose the university you will want to attend. Take into consideration ev... Sun, 15 Dec 2013 08:58:21 GMT StudentsReview 1171-98486 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1171-98486 1171 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Negative IUP could be the right school for you, but it wasn't for me. My advice is take your college research very seriously before you choose the university you will want to attend. Take into consideration every little thing: academic strength, tuition, weather, demographics of the place (coastal, inner-city, suburbs, small town), everything will matter and make your college experience, and in consequence, your grades and performance better.

Academically: You definitely have to work for your grades, professors are mostly very good, but if you want a good job in the future and want to stand out in the crowd and really network with your professors, you definitely have to put more effort as well. There are a lot of good services there to help you, you just have to go out and find them (it's not like they advertise them very well). The good is that they have so many good things available but the bad is that most of us, especially freshman coming straight out of high school don't know about these resources. If you like to work hard and go after all the good things it has to offer you can benefit positively from IUP.

Socially: I find that the people who do like IUP are the ones that like to party every other day of the week. If you're not one of those people, you'll have a hard time having a good social life here. Mainly because it's just what people do here and they don't understand if you say you don't want to party every weekend. It's weird to them? so, close-minded? yes, quite a bit. The university is located at a small college town, when the weather is nice and warm, it's not bad, but in the colder times it is miserable, extremely cold (especially if you are used to warmer weather).

The overall environment: I have my friends here and there, and because it is not an awfully large university you are able to make friends and know a lot of people if you put forth the effort into getting to know them (unless you party a lot). It is mostly a white university, people are mostly from pittsburgh and other parts of western PA, and a lot of people from Philly as well. The kids here aren't the friendliest and a lot of times seem judgmental and even racist. However, it is not to the point where you feel unsafe. IUP is very safe in my opinion. And like I said, there are plenty of resources on campus. Also, Pittsburgh is 1 hour and 30 minutes away, so all the fun stuff is 1.5 hours away from you, if you don't have a car it kinda sucks.

Have been here for almost 2 years now, I participate in a lot of groups and clubs around campus and decided to give IUP a try after my first year, but still haven't found a group of people that I can relate to and be close friends with. I'm not going to try and tell you what college is about because its different for everyone, but you should like the school you go to, and even enjoy going to class since you're there to get your education and learn about what you're passionate, which is why I can't wait to transfer.
Sun, 15 Dec 2013 08:58:21 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/IUP_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about IUP for Criminalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/IUP_comments.html My fellow students seem to be absolutely absorbed in the "party lifestyle". When they aren't vomiting on the sidewalks they are breaking things and stealing signs. Not a lot of emphasis is placed on s... Mon, 18 Nov 2013 11:31:33 GMT StudentsReview 1171-97170 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1171-97170 1171 44 Criminal Female Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Negative My fellow students seem to be absolutely absorbed in the "party lifestyle". When they aren't vomiting on the sidewalks they are breaking things and stealing signs. Not a lot of emphasis is placed on studying or discussing things in class. This does not apply to each student as a small percentage is focused on their studies. Mon, 18 Nov 2013 11:31:33 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/IUP_comments.html