StudentsReview - Philadelphia University - Life at Philadelphia Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/PCTS_comments.html Life at Philadelphia - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about Philadelphia for Architecturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/PCTS_comments.html No, just no. I'm from an upper-middle class suburban town in MD. My high school was more difficult than this school. I was hoping to receive a creative and practical education at PhilaU, yet, so fa... Thu, 08 Sep 2016 02:27:19 GMT StudentsReview 1194-175485 1194-175485 1194 3 Architecture Female Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Negative No, just no.

I'm from an upper-middle class suburban town in MD. My high school was more difficult than this school. I was hoping to receive a creative and practical education at PhilaU, yet, so far my standards haven't been met.

My parents (my mother specifically) loved that the location isn't too far from our hometown and the city isn't too close/far away from campus. Tuition is far too expensive for what I've experienced.

The food is hit or miss, there was no air conditioning in my building freshman year (bugs in every room on my floor), no quiet (air conditioned) place to work on design projects.

When applying for college, I visited schools like UVA and Parsons, (PhilaU was my definitely not my first choice) but I definitely was not qualified to attend UVA or any other school I visited.

You should know a little about the field you're studying before you study it in college, and there are kids in some of my classes that entered architecture school with no idea what they were getting into.

It's very relaxed here, too relaxed; no parties, no social life. Most of the fun is in the city which is an uber, train, or bus ride away. Everyone fits in their own friend groups and it's slightly cliquey.

All in all 6/10...don't reccomend

Only redeeming quality is the campus aesthetic.
Thu, 08 Sep 2016 02:27:19 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/PCTS_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about Philadelphia for Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/PCTS_comments.html The professors and staff were always rude and hated being there. With an exception of a few nice ones. They made school very negative and no one had any school spirit. The students were mostly from Ne... Wed, 21 Oct 2015 05:46:31 GMT StudentsReview 1194-171431 1194-171431 1194 14 Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2019 2nd Year Negative The professors and staff were always rude and hated being there. With an exception of a few nice ones. They made school very negative and no one had any school spirit. The students were mostly from New Jersey and came from wealthy families. They always tried to out dress everyone and made snooty comments. Do not waste tens of thousands of dollars here. I did and completely regret everything. Now I have so much debt I can never live a normal life. One of the worst decisions I have ever made. Wed, 21 Oct 2015 05:46:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/PCTS_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Philadelphia for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/PCTS_comments.html The school does not care about its students. It is just a business. Do not waste your time or money at this university... Thu, 07 Aug 2014 06:56:34 GMT StudentsReview 1194-119205 1194-119205 1194 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative The school does not care about its students. It is just a business. Do not waste your time or money at this university Thu, 07 Aug 2014 06:56:34 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/PCTS_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Philadelphia for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/PCTS_comments.html I completed freshman year and not a single day passed that I didn't complain. However the coursework for fashion merchandising was great it's just the school itself isn't. Also, at the end of the year... Wed, 17 Jul 2013 11:31:54 GMT StudentsReview 1194-94877 1194-94877 1194 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Neutral I completed freshman year and not a single day passed that I didn't complain. However the coursework for fashion merchandising was great it's just the school itself isn't. Also, at the end of the year I switched my major to fashion industry management hoping that sophmore year will be more exciting because I will have design classes and not just business. This school is extremely boring without schoolwork. Nothing goes on and nobody attends the sporting events or other events planned. It seems like the only people who have fun here are students who are 21 because of the massive amounts of bars around. Also, going into Philly or Manayunk is only fun so many times. It's extremely hard to get around as a freshman as well because it's a residential area so there aren't many things around to walk to. If you're looking for a typical college experience do not come here.This school is like a hipster high school. You get to know everyone very quickly because of the size so soon you will realize that it's exactly like highschool because you will have a very small group of friends and never have plans. If you're looking for a good education and are an extreme loner this school is perfect. If you're looking for a party school with tons of things to do don't waste the absurd amount of money this school requires. Wed, 17 Jul 2013 11:31:54 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/PCTS_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Philadelphia for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/PCTS_comments.html Philadelphia University is definitely not the best school out there. Although like any school it has good qualities and its bad ones. The city of Philadelphia is pretty cool, especially moving there f... Sun, 02 Jun 2013 02:26:02 GMT StudentsReview 1194-94196 1194-94196 1194 53 Other Male Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Neutral Philadelphia University is definitely not the best school out there. Although like any school it has good qualities and its bad ones. The city of Philadelphia is pretty cool, especially moving there from a small suburban town. It's dirty claiming the nickname "Philthadelphia" and there are a lot of bad neighborhoods but center city is relatively safe during the day and can get sketchy late at night. Although it gets pretty dead after 9pm when everything starts to close down. East Falls, where the school is located, is a nicer more up-scale part of the city. There are lots of cool houses and parks with-in walking distance (such as the Wissahickon, which is wonderful). The best thing about this school is the location, its about a 30minute bus ride to downtown, there is a train station not too far from campus, and being on the outskirts of the city it's quiet and there is plenty of green space to escape into nature.
This school is a design school, and because of that it lacks academically. None of the classes I took were really challenging. My major classes were really interesting, and its nice because you start working on your major right away. I took 3 core classes for my major my freshman year, where at other schools you have to finish all of your gen-eds first. The President can often be seen walking around the campus and talking to students. Small classes allow you to really get to know your professors and after your first year the head of your department becomes your adviser which really makes for a more personal experience.
Socially the school is really awkward. There isn't really any culture. It's not politically active. There's never a whole bunch to do on campus and a lot of the school run events turn out to be pretty lame. There are a few parties hosted by students that are usually off-campus but relatively close by. My experiences have been a $5 entrance fee and then usually followed disappointment. It seems like everyone just wants to get drunk and get drunk fast. If you want a party school in Philly try Temple or Drexel. The student body is very cliquish. If your'e not in, you're out (unless you have a fake ID). People tend to only hang out with people in their majors, so if you aren't in architecture or industrial design or something you feel excluded. People are often stuck-up and will blow you off because they are obviously better than everyone else, right? This makes people unapproachable and it can be difficult to makes friends if your enrolled in a smaller major. Everyone I talked too had at least considered transferring at some point, and a bunch of people do!
The school tries to advertise how "innovative" is it, when thats all a lie. I hate to word innovation and they shove it into everything. They just built a new $16 million building that looks innovative but really isn't. They also spend more time advertising their online college courses than the actual school itself. The administration is unorganized and there is little interdepartmental communication which makes getting anything done difficult.
PhilaU is nothing special and it seemed like a lot of students graduate with resentment towards the school. If the school tried harder to be better it could. It can have a lot to offer, depending on how far you are willing to go.
Sun, 02 Jun 2013 02:26:02 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/PCTS_comments.html