StudentsReview - The University of Pennsylvania - Life at UPenn Copyright 2023 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html Life at UPenn - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UPenn for Computer Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is an absolute meat grinder. Most of the students form cliques and view other students as the enemy. First year classes were ok. Second year was stunn... Sun, 24 Feb 2019 06:52:29 GMT StudentsReview 1209-184320 1209-184320 1209 11 Computer Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 1988 4th Year Negative The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is an absolute meat grinder. Most of the students form cliques and view other students as the enemy. First year classes were ok. Second year was stunningly difficult with bad instruction and lousy textbooks contributing to make is extremely time-consuming and difficult to learn the material to a high degree of proficiency. Junior and senior year when I specialized things were much easier. I also took courses in the College of Arts and Sciences (liberal arts). About half of the professors there will give a student a B and reserve an A for liberal arts students. That pissed me off a lot. And I took 5 classes in Wharton. The Wharton classes were incredibly easy compared to engineering classes. In fact I would say that engineering classes are 5x as difficult as Wharton classes.

Philadephia is a dangerous city. Very dangerous. I had some incidents which led to me confining myself to campus as much as possible. Even on campus, it was not safe. The local people (welfare people) would come to campus and commit crime. And the homeless problem in Philadelphia is unbelievable. The whole place smells like urine. Do not leave campus in groups of less than 6 males.

Job recruiting and career planning at Penn were half-arsed. You better have your own goal, direction and self-management. Do not expect the school to help.

This is a school that prides itself on graduating the leaders of business, finanance and industry. And it graduates some of them. But the other 90% of the students are ripped apart by the experience. I would say that more than half of the students suffer from depression but try to put a happy face on it, pretending that everything is great. The administration does not care because they are at Penn for a 3-5 year stint and then will move on to another university and a higher paying job.

Financial aid at Penn is modest to meager. Realistically, you need to be either poor or rich but not in between. The students from poor families got everything for free. And that was often a joke. Students from restaurant families simply reported no income on their taxes for a few years and got a free ride even though their families owned several rental properties through trusts. The financial burden on the middle class is crushing, with parents emptying 401(k)s and taking out private loans to cover school costs.

Wharton is a great place to get into the Wall Street scene. The College (liberal arts) is a waste. Engineering is great for those who already know the first 2 years of material, but not for a regular Joe.

Then there is a diversity issue. Non-diverse students are constantly pummelled with propaganda which implies that they are somehow bad and must make up for it by making room for and supporting less-qualified and unqualified diverse students. When I went there, the diverse students had scant chance of graduating due to being cognitively underpowered for the task.
Sun, 24 Feb 2019 06:52:29 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UPenn for Agriculture/Horticulturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html UPenn is a wonderful place for those academically motivated and seeking to learn at the highest possible level. I have been attending UPenn for two years now and I can with confidence say it had been ... Fri, 05 Oct 2018 01:15:45 GMT StudentsReview 1209-183709 1209-183709 1209 72 Agriculture/Horticulture Male Undergraduate Class 1921 2nd Year Positive UPenn is a wonderful place for those academically motivated and seeking to learn at the highest possible level. I have been attending UPenn for two years now and I can with confidence say it had been the worst two years of my life. My first day I was walking into the freshmen dorms and I walked into a toile that was cemented to the sidewalk. I broke my foot and lie there for half an hour until somebody came to my aid. When they did they simply took a video of it for snapchat and kept walking. My phone had no service due to the absolutely terrible reception on campus. After that though it got much better. The toilet was removed and my foot healed. But not before I got my nickname, "Larry the Limp". Not much better. UPenn students are mean and always make fun of my height. I'm really not that short if you think about it, 4'10 is below average for sure but I can still reach most things if I have access to a step ladder. This ties in perfectly to dorm food. I used to say, eat some of that rocket fuel and you will be boosting for the rest of the day. Freshmen 15 took on a whole new meaning when I took 15 trips to the bathroom in one day. 10/10 do not recommend. Make sure to pack a lunch if you are coming to school next year. Hope this was helpful, I really love this school and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Shoutout to Ms. Buchannon for helping me get over my fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of my mouth. Hope this was helpful! Smash that upvote. Fri, 05 Oct 2018 01:15:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UPenn for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html Taking classes at University of Penn was great. Philadelphia doesn't get enough credit as what a GREAT University and working town it is.Catch yourself making great friends for life, getting that cup... Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:39:04 GMT StudentsReview 1209-182970 1209-182970 1209 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 1920 1st Year Positive Taking classes at University of Penn was great. Philadelphia doesn't get enough credit as what a GREAT University and working town it is.Catch yourself making great friends for life, getting that cup of coffee 11:00 at night. Very impressed with fratermity graduates and members. Healthy and happy sorority life. Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:39:04 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UPenn for Financehttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html This place is awesome. Best university by far. The top departments in every subject. Top ivy by far. Wharton is best business school on the planet. Totally prepares you for the real world, unlike most... Mon, 16 May 2016 09:27:15 GMT StudentsReview 1209-173586 1209-173586 1209 79 Finance Female Undergraduate Class 2019 3rd Year Positive This place is awesome. Best university by far. The top departments in every subject. Top ivy by far. Wharton is best business school on the planet. Totally prepares you for the real world, unlike most other Ivies. Students are brilliant, unlike many other Ivies. There is an amazing vibe on campus because so many students, faculty and programs are concentrated in one place. Penn has experience the highest percentage increase in applications over the last decade, and it's no wonder. Philly is fantastic also. This is a work hard, play hard real university- big boy pants wearers only. Mon, 16 May 2016 09:27:15 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UPenn for Mathhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html Before I begin my review, I first to let the reader know that the academics are amazing. Whatever you choose to pursue, you will have prospects. The professors, well some, are friendly, and are more t... Wed, 02 Dec 2015 02:52:56 GMT StudentsReview 1209-171899 1209-171899 1209 23 Math Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative Before I begin my review, I first to let the reader know that the academics are amazing. Whatever you choose to pursue, you will have prospects. The professors, well some, are friendly, and are more than ready to help you and want to. The professors, the academics, all of that school stuff is amazing and you will learn what you NEED to know and if you just focus on schoolwork and working on time management, then you are fine.
Now, for the students....
I have never met the most ignorant, close-minded, snooty, arrogant group of people in my entire life. People here, especially if you are transfer, are not going to give you the time of day. I have met some friends who are cool, smart and open-minded to discussion. Some, on the other hand, are rude and full of themselves. I mean, I get this is the ivy league, but come on. What ever happen to being nice? It might be because I am a transfer and people already have made their friends and so there it is. It could really be that case since all of my friends are transfers. Moreover, people here are obsessed with their grades and their own little bubble. If you aren't part of that bubble, you DO NOT EXIST to them. Please note, that there is a bunch of people at this school and you will find a group of people that are nice and smart and cool to be around with. Most of them are down to earth people willing to work together for the sake of learning and meeting new people. Others are just here to move on with their legacy, make as much money as possible, and they do not care who gets in the way! You will hear about how people sabotage other people here for grades! It's crazy. Little to no down-to-earth people here at all. Also, if you aren't rich, forget about it. Again there is thousands of people here to meet, but I'm not going to go all around campus looking for cool people. The school keeps you busy. TLDR: Bunch of rich, snooty shallow brats and little to no down-to-earth, chill people. I'm here for two years so I don't give a f... but you know.I just care about the degree mostly.
Wed, 02 Dec 2015 02:52:56 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html