StudentsReview - The University of Pennsylvania - Life at UPenn Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html Life at UPenn - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about UPenn for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html This place is awesome. Best university. Wharton is best business school on the planet. The top departments in every subject. Top ivy by far. Totally prepares you for the real world, unlike most other ... Thu, 16 Jul 2015 04:21:21 GMT StudentsReview 1209-163267 1209-163267 1209 0 Unknown Female Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Positive This place is awesome. Best university. Wharton is best business school on the planet. The top departments in every subject. Top ivy by far. Totally prepares you for the real world, unlike most other ivys. Philly is fantastic also. Thu, 16 Jul 2015 04:21:21 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about UPenn for Physicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html I'm Chinese, but I've been in the US through all of grade school. I have some (mixed) thoughts to share about this place. I've found that there are a lot of really dumb people here who got in not b... Sat, 04 Jul 2015 01:33:19 GMT StudentsReview 1209-162891 1209-162891 1209 33 Physics Male Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Advice I'm Chinese, but I've been in the US through all of grade school. I have some (mixed) thoughts to share about this place.

I've found that there are a lot of really dumb people here who got in not because of their true value as human beings or their worth as students, but as a result of where they grew up, their wealth, their ethnicity, and other bits of information which should have been compensated for more or for less by the admissions committee. It's my belief that college for most students is about improving yourself, whether it's academically or socially. However, what happens when the university admits a lot of students who are too self-absorbed yet too wealthy to fail is the disaster that is the student body.

There are some extremely bright students in all four undergraduate schools, yet many of them are content to waste their talents and their parents' money drinking alcohol and partying on weekdays. This causes me great personal offense since I come from a middle-class family in which such frivolity is wasteful, and I know many deserving people who would have made better use of the opportunities available here. A night doesn't pass without some student getting "MERTed", rescued by the volunteer student organization of EMTs from whatever idiocies they've committed. For reference, being MERTed costs around $1000 just for the ambulance ride. That cost is probably not covered since it's the student's own fault for making such poor choices.

Even so, many students don't bat an eye at such a bill, as they come from upper-class families or are rich internationals. There is a sizable portion of the student population which is truly unaware of how advantaged they are compared to the average American. 50% of students apply for financial aid, while 44% or so get it. That means Penn feels that 56% of the student population is perfectly capable of footing a cost of attendance that is 1.3 times the median US household income every year. The 6% of students (i.e. 600 undergraduates) who apply for financial aid and don't receive it are either being bled dry by the university or are utterly unaware of how much their families make.

As for the competition here, it's a joke compared to what there was in public high school. However, that's because my high school was 88% white, where most students' parents are white collar professionals. That being said, people can be very nasty when it comes to grades and curves. There is some amount of cheating, i.e. copying of homework, but overall nothing too serious. If a student deserves to fail a class, she will fail 99.9% of the time. DO NOT CHEAT. I know people in my engineering classes who have gotten instant fails because of cheating. Apparently, you also get a permanent mark on your transcript, making you utterly unhirable and ensuring you will never go to graduate school. If you cheat more after the first time, you might be expelled.

If you come here looking for intelligent yet kind friends, you will find them if you look hard enough. However, you'll also meet tens of arrogant, cutthroat students for every friend you find. My solution thus far has been to ignore the 9,900 other students who I don't know to be the kind of people I would like to be around.

The Quad is very loud. The most obnoxious thing that can happen to you at 3 AM on a weeknight is being woken up by gaggles of drunken freshmen girls returning from their night out. They scream, laugh, hit doors, and clatter up the stairs in their 6 inch high heels until you get out of your room and yell at them or an RA writes them all up. Invest in some high quality in-ear or noise-cancelling headphones.

I have to say that for the most part, the classes here are excellent. While there certainly are professors who are too concerned with their research to care about their students, you just have to be careful which professors you choose. PennCourseReview is a restricted-access site for Penn students to view reviews of courses and of professors before choosing classes. These reviews are based on student evaluations for all classes at the end of each semester.

If you are science-oriented, get involved in a lab early. Start emailing professors December of freshman year and try to get paid for research that summer. If you are pre-med, don't take the lowest level classes. I honestly don't understand how you learn physics without calculus, especially E&M.

The workload is not bad at all if you're efficient and you spread it out over the week. I actually prefer to finish problem sets in a single sitting. Problem sets for math and science classes are usually under 3 hours long (per week). For engineering subjects, prepare to spend a whole lot of time on projects. One of my assignments took 6 hours of typesetting in LaTeX to complete. Be smart about your homework. Most classes have relatively forgiving curves. The exceptions are intro Wharton classes and pre-med filled classes (chem classes especially).

The facilities are not the best. Everything looks beautiful from the outside (the Quad in the fall), but maintenance in the College Houses can be lacking.

For me, academics have been the most important part of college life. Penn has great professors and academic opportunities. If you're going to college for the academics, Penn should be a serious choice. If you're going to college to party, choose Penn. I don't care as long as you don't personally wake me up at 3 AM. If you don't know what to do with your life, go to college anyway. You'll find something to build a career upon. (Yes, you can use a preposition to end your sentence with.)
Sat, 04 Jul 2015 01:33:19 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UPenn for Economicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html This is the greatest university ever. With its outstanding global reputation, this place will take you anywhere you want to go. The professors and courses are outstanding. Students are great. It is no... Wed, 07 Jan 2015 07:07:51 GMT StudentsReview 1209-156024 1209-156024 1209 57 Economics Female Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Positive This is the greatest university ever. With its outstanding global reputation, this place will take you anywhere you want to go. The professors and courses are outstanding. Students are great. It is no wonder Penn is always ranked in the top two or three universities. There are just the right amount of undergrads, an equal amount of grad students, and a beautiful campus in an exciting city. Some students don't get along here because they had an easy time getting A's in high schools with hyper-grade inflation. This is a work hard, play hard university that is the best in the country, and every facet of the school is world class. Wed, 07 Jan 2015 07:07:51 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UPenn for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html I came to this school to work hard, and no one appreciates hard work, even the professors. It's all about how fast and brief you can write here. I read slow and methodically. If your not terribly i... Tue, 06 Jan 2015 01:50:23 GMT StudentsReview 1209-155958 1209-155958 1209 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2016 3rd Year Negative I came to this school to work hard, and no one appreciates hard work, even the professors. It's all about how fast and brief you can write here. I read slow and methodically. If your not terribly interesting, your outcast. I didn't want to drink, which means no social life here. In brief, if your not social, don't come here.

I hated the Quad, people carelessly taking a dump on bathroom floors, smearing fecal matter on walls, the vomit in the hallway, and the food poisoning and rotten lettuce/food in Hill. I hated the showers that don't give you enough water pressure. I hate the contempt Penn employees in dining hold of Penn students every day, assuming students are all rich, entitled brats.

To get to an Ivy, I gave everything up in high school: family, friends, the idea of ever having a normal life and finding a spouse, wasting my time reading books that I have long forgotten. I have been unable to find friends because the classes are so time-consuming, (if you take these classes half-way seriously unlike a lot of students here that just kind of wing/skim as they do other stuff), that I have been unable to join extracurricular activities and make friends that way. If I could go somewhere else I would have, but I invested too much of my soul, suffered from too much stress on my heart to turn back from this hell. I tried to engage in research, but the never ending sea of just barely above average grades just made it all not worthwhile/interesting.

It is damn near impossible to get an A in humanities/social science unless you get to know professors, which shouldn't be a prerequisite to an A. Students will smile to your face in science/math classes, but underneath the politeness are fierce competitors, baying at the sight of blood/weakness, who don't care about you. College is not the time to experiment outside your strengths academically. In my time here, I have known 4 Penn students who successfully committed suicide. If I could go back 7 or 8 years, I would tell myself to become a butcher or maybe find work at a gas station. No amount of money could be worth this. I can't comment on the relevance of this to other Ivies, although I am predisposed to think that these problems are uniquely Pennsylvanian. I had straight A's going back 7 years, 130's IQ, and I frequent Pottruck, so I am not just some schmuck that they let walk in the door. This can happen to you. Think twice before attending.
Tue, 06 Jan 2015 01:50:23 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UPenn for Urban Planninghttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html I'm a transfer (sophomore) student majoring in urban studies and am having a great time. I don't fit the "usual" Penn student, I'm definitely not pre-professional, not very interested in making a lot ... Fri, 26 Dec 2014 06:03:09 GMT StudentsReview 1209-155600 1209-155600 1209 40 Urban Planning Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive I'm a transfer (sophomore) student majoring in urban studies and am having a great time. I don't fit the "usual" Penn student, I'm definitely not pre-professional, not very interested in making a lot of money, and not a greek type. I'm an activist and have found a great community in those activities. People here are bright but buy and large approachable and I haven't met that many arrogant or unfriendly people in the circles I've chosen to be in such as my urban studies courses and extracurriculars to do with politics and the environment.
You do meet some somewhat snooty people, those on my floor are rather standoffish but it's actually not that hard to meet people similar to you. I'm not super outgoing and transferred but have made friends relatively easily.
Don't listen to the people on this page that tell you everyone at Penn is just interested in making money and partying in frats, there are plenty of intellectuals, activists and others who don't fit into that mold. I was really scared by the posts that said that before I started but now that I'm here I know that they are hyperbole and that there is a place for everyone here.
No regrets, also best urban studies program in the country.
Fri, 26 Dec 2014 06:03:09 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPE_comments.html