StudentsReview - The University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh Campus - Life at UPhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPP_comments.html Life at UP - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UP for Computer Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPP_comments.html LOW QUALITY UNIVERSITY. Lecturers seem to be "researchers first, lecturers second". Some lecturers are pretty good, but most of them are absolutely terrible. Some stand there and read off slides, ... Tue, 29 Jul 2014 03:15:06 GMT StudentsReview 1213-116703 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1213-116703 1213 11 Computer Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Negative LOW QUALITY UNIVERSITY.

Lecturers seem to be "researchers first, lecturers second". Some lecturers are pretty good, but most of them are absolutely terrible. Some stand there and read off slides, and then can't answer questions in class without fumbling over the question for at least 5 minutes. Some just can NOT speak English. Most classes are worthless: in some classes I probably could have gotten by just reading the textbook and doing the assigned work, and never even attending class; in fact, I've gone to entire courses never paying attention to the lecturer at all and gotten decent grades. I'm still not sure why I went to those classes.

Speaking of textbooks, most of the required textbooks are the newest, most expensive edition, while reviews on amazon and elsewhere for these books are very poor. It seems Pitt has partnerships and doesn't care much for the quality of your education - as long as you pay them money, they don't care. For example: one of the books listed as 'required' for me for a class starting one month from now is the 10th edition of a book that currently only has 9 editions, and the 9th edition got terrible reviews on amazon ("Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists" by Walpole).

The course content seems passable, at best. It's not amazing or anything. My friends who went to Case, Penn State, and CMU seem to have come out with much more knowledge than I did from their curriculum. There are very obvious holes in the computer engineering curriculum. Students are taught things like Java and C, which is fine for 2000's era "enterprisey" businesses, but aren't taught newer languages like Python or Ruby; web technology isn't required, databases aren't required, security isn't required, and I'm not sure if we even offer anything related to functional programming (not even LISP, which seems to be REQUIRED, FIRST SEMESTER for any computer science major elsewhere), no mention of design patterns. In fact, to me, it seems like I didn't learn either computer science theory OR the "engineering" side of computer engineering. It seems like I just learned a bunch of basic topics in computer technology.

Dorms are good; apartments around Oakland are generally shady as ****. I generally don't feel safe in South Oakland at night. School cafeteria is mediocre at best. Peers are generally very friendly - I had a lot of fun in the marching band. Some places on campus are beautiful, once you get past Pitt's awful Brutalist architecture.

Overall, especially for computer engineers: go somewhere else if you can. Pitt should probably be a "backup school" for you.
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 03:15:06 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPP_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UP for Philosophyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPP_comments.html This is a great University. I would recommend it to anyone considering.... Mon, 03 Mar 2014 06:48:49 GMT StudentsReview 1213-102501 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1213-102501 1213 32 Philosophy Male Undergraduate Class 2011 4th Year Positive This is a great University. I would recommend it to anyone considering. Mon, 03 Mar 2014 06:48:49 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPP_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UP for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPP_comments.html Social scene could be a lot better, being a fraternity member I have a lot to do every weekend but I don't know what everyone else whose under 21 does every weekend, study lots, tests are hard and you... Thu, 02 Jan 2014 01:29:36 GMT StudentsReview 1213-99492 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1213-99492 1213 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Neutral Social scene could be a lot better, being a fraternity member I have a lot to do every weekend but I don't know what everyone else whose under 21 does every weekend, study lots, tests are hard and youre not always prepared for them, great school though! Hail to Pitt Thu, 02 Jan 2014 01:29:36 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPP_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UP for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPP_comments.html I absolutely love this school and I would simply not think to go anywhere else. I was originally rejected to my top choice so I applied here very last minute. I committed without actually seeing any o... Wed, 18 Dec 2013 03:11:57 GMT StudentsReview 1213-98617 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1213-98617 1213 24 Mechanical Engineering Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive I absolutely love this school and I would simply not think to go anywhere else. I was originally rejected to my top choice so I applied here very last minute. I committed without actually seeing any of the campus (including the amazing Cathedral of Learning) and I am so glad that I did, because I really think I bargained right.
The academics here (at least in my major) are challenging, but definitely manageable. This school has taught me that you NEED to study AHEAD OF TIME, and that there is simply no easy way out when it comes to a good education. I was easily able to find multiple tutors for my most difficult classes and I have learned so much more in this first semester of being here than I have during any other time in my life. The exams were hard, but the professor will curve if the class average is below a 75. Most professors are helpful for the most part, and if you happen to have one that isn't much so, form a study group and take your studies into your own hands. YOU'RE here to learn, and definitely shouldn't let one bad professor turn you off from a class.
If you love to party/like a big social scene, Pitt is the place to go. I know countless students from other universities (like CMU and Duquesne) that come to Pitt on the weekends to party. I have never really had any trouble finding a party, especially if you explore South Oakland. I haven't been to the Frats, so I really can't speak for them, but the house parties that take place are pretty good and consistent. Most of the time, you won't have to pay to get in. I personally have never had any trouble finding parties on the weekends, but that's because I am on a sports team. If you aren't a partier, there are probably more things for you to do around campus and the city. Since students get Port Authority bus access for free (and they're clean, safe, and reliable), anyone can take a short ride to downtown or to Southside, where there's a TON of shopping. I have NEVER been bored at Pitt.
Dorms for the most part are pretty standard, you have your shambly dorms (specifically Holland) and your nice ones (Nordenburg, Sutherland). Freshmen are placed in a lottery and will randomly get their dorm assignments, and although you can fill out a preference, some students may not get what they want (a TON of girls specifically get placed in the all-girls dorm Holland even though it wasn't in their top three at all) but all of the dorms are completely sufficient and most students end up liking where they end up.
Overall, I am so glad I came to Pitt and it's a wonderful school to learn lots, make friends, and grow as an individual. H2P!
Wed, 18 Dec 2013 03:11:57 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPP_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about UP for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPP_comments.html I'm a freshman at Pitt having nearly completed my first semester here and I hate it. It's a good school with really strong academics, but it's just not the place for me. I thought i'd like it because ... Thu, 28 Nov 2013 12:22:38 GMT StudentsReview 1213-97590 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1213-97590 1213 54 Communications Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative I'm a freshman at Pitt having nearly completed my first semester here and I hate it. It's a good school with really strong academics, but it's just not the place for me. I thought i'd like it because everyone said they had a good experience here, and it's right by a city, but I was wrong. the campus is nice in fall but it's miserable in the cold. I prefer being sober during the week and going to class because on the weekends it's awful house parties and frat parties, if we're lucky. I rushed but dropped out because it wasn't for me, and i wish i stayed with it and joined a sorority. They lie when they say Greek Life doesn't have a huge presence on campus-- if you're underage and non-greek, weekends are boring while you try to desperately find a boring party. it's a state school and i'm from new jersey, so people here are all very close minded and simple. i appreciate the music scene here and i've met some cool people, but this school is just not the right fit for me. if you're into sweaty, sub-par house parties and sports, this is the place for you. it's a very big school so i feel very lonely, and am unsure why i picked such an ugly campus when I love nature. I'm hoping to transfer. Thu, 28 Nov 2013 12:22:38 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/UPP_comments.html