StudentsReview - Villanova University - Life at Villanova Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/VU_comments.html Life at Villanova - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about Villanova for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/VU_comments.html Villanova University is an exceptional school - not perfect, but a suitable fit for me. The students are friendly and energetic, and the faculty is down-to-earth, approachable, and genuinely care abou... Tue, 29 Dec 2015 01:08:53 GMT StudentsReview 1216-172221 1216-172221 1216 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Positive Villanova University is an exceptional school - not perfect, but a suitable fit for me. The students are friendly and energetic, and the faculty is down-to-earth, approachable, and genuinely care about their students.

Student Body:

More than anything, students love attending Villanova because of the "community" that it fosters. Although during orientation you might think that it's somewhat cheesy that everyone keeps mentioning the "community" here on campus, it truly exists, and it's awesome! Whether at basketball games (amazing experience) Special Olympics (the largest student-run event in the world) or random events that happen across campus, you really get that feeling of being a part of a special group of people.

The students here are generally hard-working and dedicated to their studies. Although the standard for academics is high, there is not the cutthroat competition that runs rampant at other universities throughout the country. You will run into students with a diverse range of academic interests, especially in the liberal arts school. (Although business, engineering and nursing kids often take classes in their own dedicated buildings, they are in no way somehow separated from the student body, even when it comes to academics b/c of core classes.)

Greek life is a moderate deal on campus and it's totally up to you whether you want to get involved or not. It is entirely possible to completely ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist, or go out all the time and make it part of your life. About one fifth of guys and a little over a third of girls are a part of Greek life, so it's entirely up to you what you want to do!

Professors:

Generally, faculty and professors here at Villanova are amazing. As a liberal arts (political science) major, I have somewhat above average class-selection flexibility, but from my experience the professors are the best thing about Villanova. Every professor I had knew my name within the first couple of weeks. My largest class was 30 kids, my smallest was 12. I cannot guarantee this for everyone, (intro science classes can be larger) but the personal connection I have with my professors has been invaluable. They are phenomenal academics (most have field-terminal PhDs), but they genuinely care about their students. Several professors are helping me with career/internship searches, academic trajectories, etc. not because they have to, but because they want to. When people ask about my favorite thing about college, it usually boils down to friends, basketball, and my professors!

Academics:

Everyone?s academic experience will vary depending on major, but if you stick with your interests Villanova surely has a strong program in your field! The business kids are highly sought after, and Villanova?s Accounting, Finance, and International Business programs (from my limited business school knowledge) are especially strong. (The internships and opportunities these kids get are seriously high-profile). The engineering schools and nursing schools I know less about, though I know that they have very strong programs as well (and are more competitive application-wise). For liberal arts, I can only really speak to the phenomenal political science dept. (ranked #8 undergrad poly-sci by USA Today), but communications is huge and they have some really cool resources. Biggest majors (appear) to include communications, political science, biology (huge pre-med population).

Campus:

Beautiful campus. Looks good every season of the year. Campus is in three-ish sections: main campus, south campus, and west campus. Main campus is the hub of academics, and includes a dining hall, student center, St. Thomas of Villanova Church, and sophomore dorms. South Campus is all freshmen dorms and includes a dining hall. (South campus is highly awesome; the freshmen have their own little universe all to themselves!) West campus includes Junior apartments (which are incredible ? full kitchen, living room etc.) the Law School, and a couple other multipurpose and academic buildings. Currently seniors live in off-campus housing, but by the time readers of this becomes seniors, the ongoing construction of senior apartment complexes will most likely be completed! Living off campus isn?t really a big deal for seniors (preps you for the real world) and actually ends up costing even to or less than on campus housing. With that, on future on campus housing should be welcome news for new applicants!

Student Life:

Organizations are huge, and where you?re bound to meet most of your friends! I was involved with Special Olympics and it was most fun experiences I?ve had ? no exaggeration. There are a bazillion other organizations to suit your interests! Service is HUGE on campus. If you attend Villanova it is highly likely you will be involved in some type of service event or organization at some point in your college career. The University puts a commendable emphasis on this in part of its message of UNITAS, VERITAS, and CARITAS. Large and well-known organizations include Blue Key (tour guides) Orientation, Band, A Cappella, but there are literally HUNDREDS of organizations to suit your every interest!

ADVICE:

Apply EA if you can. This is a great way to show interest in the University. Even if you get deferred you can still get in, and plenty of people do!
Choose classes by professor if you can. The greatest influencer of your academic experience will be professors, so choose wisely!
Join organizations and clubs! Meet people! Have fun! But DO NOT over-commit! Save some down time.

Overall, I have enjoyed my experience at Villanova. Every college will not fit every person perfectly, but if college is what you make of it, it has certainly been easy to make Villanova work for me.
Tue, 29 Dec 2015 01:08:53 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/VU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about Villanova for Financehttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/VU_comments.html Villanova is a great school all around. The people you will meet here are what make it such a special place. If you're looking for a school with a good academic reputation, good sports teams, communit... Tue, 20 Oct 2015 01:48:20 GMT StudentsReview 1216-171387 1216-171387 1216 79 Finance Male Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Positive Villanova is a great school all around. The people you will meet here are what make it such a special place. If you're looking for a school with a good academic reputation, good sports teams, community service, and incredible people I would suggest visiting/applying to Villanova. Tue, 20 Oct 2015 01:48:20 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/VU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about Villanova for Electrical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/VU_comments.html Great school. Provides the full college experience. Soon to be a National University - expected to be in the 30-50 range.... Sun, 06 Sep 2015 02:59:15 GMT StudentsReview 1216-170598 1216-170598 1216 16 Electrical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2017 3rd Year Positive Great school. Provides the full college experience.

Soon to be a National University - expected to be in the 30-50 range.
Sun, 06 Sep 2015 02:59:15 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/VU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about Villanova for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/VU_comments.html I have recently finished my freshman year at Villanova University and I can honestly say I LOVED it. I had not anticipated writing a review, but after seeing the recent negative one, and recognizing ... Thu, 28 May 2015 06:00:19 GMT StudentsReview 1216-161914 1216-161914 1216 0 Unknown Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Positive I have recently finished my freshman year at Villanova University and I can honestly say I LOVED it. I had not anticipated writing a review, but after seeing the recent negative one, and recognizing all the help former reviews contributed in my decision making progress, I feel as though it is my duty to report what its like going to Villanova.
I will begin by saying I was very apprehensive going to Villanova. I was scared it would be super preppy, rich, and close minded. Coming from a big family who does not having much, and having a disinterest in designer labels, I did not think I'd fit in, but I found my niche.
Let's delve into the people. Yes, there will be a lot of Tory Birch and Vineyard Vine (Don't worry I didn't know what that meant before I went to Nova lol). There will be people who have a 1,000 balance on their school ID, BUT there are also so many down to earth, hard working people, who come from average families. Wherever you go there will be some snobby people, but its your decision who you hang out with. If you want to be around nice, genuine people, they exist at Villanova. Also, the student body is extremely kind, and polite. I cannot tell you how many people stop to open doors, or smile to each other on campus. Its a great size student body because you see people you know on campus, but you also see unfamiliar faces. I have made friends at Nova that I can see being my friends for the rest of my life. (Sidebar, the student body does not only have excellent school pride and spirit, but is also extremely attractive and easy on the eyes lol).
Let's talk next about academics. I came into Villanova as an undeclared Arts major. Just a warning if you are like me-- the engineering, business, and nursing school will tease you. I wouldn't say Villanova is the best for Arts, but its good. I highly recommend joining BRIDGE, which is a networking club for liberal art majors, and visiting the Career Center. Villanova has one of the best Career Centers in the country-- take advantage of it, its a wonderful resource! One of the best things about Nova is that you do not feel like a number. I have small class sizes, and I personally know all of my professors-- who were nothing short of amazing! This year, I have become a better writer, critical thinker, and speaker. My classes were challenging, in a good way.
And now, the social life. This is were I will admit I wish things were different. I have spent a lot of money this year on transportation because Villanova does not have frat houses on campus. All parties are off campus. Some are walking distance-- but the closest ones will be at least a mile away. If you know guys in a frat you can get a pledge ride. Many weekends friends and I would take the train and hit up parties at Penn or Temple. The only problem is you have to get a taxi back if its too late, and its usually $10 a head. (Also, if you are a guy work on your guy girl ratio, because if not you will not get into a party). I can't talk from personal experience, but joining a sorority or frat will open many social doors for you-- but you do not have to join to have a social life.
Let's talk about the actual campus. It's gorgeous, spread out, and super safe. There are two convenient train stations located on campus, so if you want to go anywhere it is easily accessible. The campus is in the suburbs, so if you are used to the hustle and bustle of the city, you might find it boring. All freshman live on south campus and have their on dining hall. Its super cozy and you get close with people-- its a little bit of a hike from campus, but its worth it.
As for my living situation, I roomed in Good Counsel. There is a chance you will be put into a triple. For some people it works, others it doesn't. Fortunately, my third roommate moved out last semester. Good Counsel is nice and spacious, and has a sink in the room. I was iffy about communal bathrooms, but they are not that bad. Try to steer clear of Stanford. Its the biggest dorm and people do not get that close. I highly recommend joining a learning community--especially the ones in Katharine! Also, apply for the summer program STOVs. It changed my life.
This is going on quite long, so I am going to wrap it up. I love Villanova, and if I could redo my freshman year at another school I wouldn't. I love the people, I love the activities, I love my professors. I cannot wait to start my sophomore year. Its truly my home.

If you decide to go to Villanova, or any school, be open, be friendly, put yourself out there, and lean into discomfort!
Thu, 28 May 2015 06:00:19 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/VU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about Villanova for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/PA/VU_comments.html I am a second semester freshman and I actually had to withdraw from Villanova because I was suffering from a depression that I had acquired in my time there. To start from the beginning, Orientation i... Tue, 17 Feb 2015 02:16:36 GMT StudentsReview 1216-157399 1216-157399 1216 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Advice I am a second semester freshman and I actually had to withdraw from Villanova because I was suffering from a depression that I had acquired in my time there. To start from the beginning, Orientation is a wonderful experience; your Orientation Counselor is an accomplished, passionate, and helpful upperclassman who truly cares about making your transition to college the best it can be. Activities and speakers are great and I almost guarantee you'll love the school during your first week on campus. The problem is that this euphoria wears off within a few weeks and you settle into the reality of what Villanova truly is.
To be honest, I am deeply conflicted about how I feel about my time here. The campus is beautiful, historic, well-maintained, and you feel proud to show off the St. Thomas of Villanova Church to friends and family when they come to visit. The business school (VSB) is top-notch when it comes to career opportunities and promotional endeavors. The professors care about the subjects they teach and are very understanding about personal situations and help outside of the classroom. I loved being in VSB, I loved the academics at Villanova, and I knew that I would have no trouble finding a job due to the alumni connection and good reputation the school has. But beware, if you want a job off the East Coast, Villanova most likely won't get you it....
Where I really struggled at Villanova was with the kids. I hated being on south campus (where the freshmen live) because it was a very unfriendly atmosphere. Roommates are hit or miss, because a lot of kids choose random selection and there is no questionnaire to ensure you get someone you like. I lived in Stanford Hall my first semester and I hated it. It is old, the rooms are small, and I knew nobody in my hall besides my roommate. You pretty much only know your next-door neighbors on a personal basis, but if they are not your "friend group" you really won't talk to them that often. In the other dorms, the floors of students seem to get along much better, so aim to be put in St. Monica's, Katharine, Caughlin, or McGuire Halls.
What I really want to stress to prospective students is that the kids you see that are giving you tours, and leading orientation, and talking to you on the phone are the premier students the University has to offer. I was a tour guide, I was a VSB Ambassador, and I know how exclusive and difficult those organizations are to gain acceptance to. The students that represent Villanova are the most ambitious and passionate about the school, so they're going to lie to you, or at least not give you an honest perspective about your time there. One thing that is important thing to have is a set group of friends that you can eat with, go to parties with, and be in a sorority with. If you don't have one (like I didn't) you're pretty much alone all day every day. I was in over twelve clubs, both related to my personal interests and academics, and I didn't have friends.
Not having friends takes its toll on you. As does the interest in not partying. I didn't go out much because I enjoy relaxing on the weekends and don't drink. All of the kids here go out on Fridays and Saturdays. And they are very open about talking about their evenings in class the next day or at dinner, which gets old very quickly unless you were there.
Bottom line (because I think this is very long):
1. Don't go to Villanova if you don't drink or like to stay in. There are some kids who don't do that, but they were very hard for me to find.
2. Join a learning community so you get put in the newer, smaller dorms
3. If you are not from Pennsylvania, New York, or New Jersey, seriously consider the benefit to you coming here versus a school closer to your home state. I'm from Massachusetts and I regret going to school in PA simply for the fact that it is not easy to travel back home, you can only go home during holidays, and you probably won't know anybody at the school.
4. Be prepared for everyone at the school to be rejects from Penn, BC, Notre Dame, or Georgetown.
5. Rankings aren't everything! The business school and the engineering school are highly ranked (which is partially why I came) but they may not be the best fit for you.
6. If you do come, get involved, and make sure you know how to "market" yourself, because organizations like Special Olympics, Ambassadors, and Blue Key are pretty exclusive.
7. Basketball is easily the biggest thing on campus, and nothing can beat when the team is having a good season. Again, if you don't have a lot of friends, it's hard to watch games or go to them. There is a lottery system, so make sure to attend as many games as you can and keep your "points" in check so you can be rewarded when the rival/important games come along.
8. Service is big here. Religion isn't in your face, but if you're not Catholic, you will notice its presence here.
9. Kids are smart here, but it's not an intellectual-type school. No one will be talking about politics and science at dinner.
Tue, 17 Feb 2015 02:16:36 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/PA/VU_comments.html