StudentsReview - Roger Williams University - Life at RWU Copyright 2017 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/RI/RWU_comments.html Life at RWU - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about RWU for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/RI/RWU_comments.html I graduated from RWU May '16 and have had some time to reflect. I used this site a lot when I was making my choice to go here and I always found the most useful reviews to be the ones that stayed obje... Sun, 16 Apr 2017 01:21:45 GMT StudentsReview 1233-179540 1233-179540 1233 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Neutral I graduated from RWU May '16 and have had some time to reflect. I used this site a lot when I was making my choice to go here and I always found the most useful reviews to be the ones that stayed objective, so I will try to do that in my own review. I should mention though that my time at Roger is unique to me, just like your time at which ever school you choose will be unique to you. College, like everything in life, is what you make of it. That being said, I felt like I had to try extra hard to make lemonade out of the lemons Roger handed me. Here are some of the pros and cons of my experience broken down by category(compared to the kinds of resources/ experiences my high school friends had at different colleges, as well as based on the school I am currently attending for my Masters).

Academics:
I studied architecture and the program was great. I really think that RWU is one of the best architecture programs in its league on the East coast. I came here because the university emphasizes a core curriculum that exposes ALL students to courses from many different fields (philosophy, sciences, writing, math, etc). This was important to me, especially since most architecture programs are so rigidly constructed. I was able to get a liberal arts education and an architecture degree, which was huge. This also gave me the opportunity to double major, which I may not have been able to do elsewhere (I think its worth noting that I constructed my own second major...so if you don't see the major you want in the offerings this may be an option for you and you should look into making it happen).

Campus and Resources: The campus is beautiful. It really is. I think that the resources could be better, but for a small private college they are doing okay. I now go to University of Oregon, and the two are just on different levels. It would be like comparing apples and oranges... so again...for a small private college, its okay. The gym is nice, the dining services are exceptional, the printing services could be better, and the internet is mediocre. With the exception of one time when I couldn't find ANYWHERE on campus to bind a presentation, I was never upset with what the school had to offer.

Clubs, orgs, and campus life: Alright, there's no way to sugarcoat this part... social life on campus is lousy. Really just the worst. There isn't enough money to support the clubs adequately, but that doesn't even matter because the students are the most apathetic group of people I have ever experienced. It's numbing. Nobody DOES anything. I hope so desperately that this changes as the university matures, because its a toxic environment. Its so hard to explain to outsiders too because I've never experienced anything like it in my life. Everyone is just so caught up in themselves that they can't be bothered with anything else. I know people who met their "people" here and it was smooth sailing for them, but I also know a lot of people like me who never belonged and it was rough. I felt like I was a prep school, not a university. I was surrounded by a very immature, uninspired group of individuals.

Surrounding area: The coast is beautiful, and there is a wide variety of things to do in about an hour radius. Newport, Providence, Bristol, Boston...its all right there. I also had a friend in the outing club who went to the White Mountains for the weekend. If having a car is an option for you I would HIGHLY recommend it. My quality of life skyrocketed the one year I had a car. The campus itself is kind of awkwardly positioned between highway and ocean so without a car its just a lot more difficult to feel like an independent person. If you can't have a car, the bus is an option too but...a car would be way better.

Overall: This was long as is but I have so much more I could say about this place. At the end of the day Roger Williams is an alright school. I think it has its flaws, but its still growing into itself. Remember that its only in its early 60's. If I wasn't set on studying architecture, or was willing to move away from the east coast for college I would not have come here, however neither of those were the case. If you're studying a degree other than architecture or biology I would suggest considering other schools.
Sun, 16 Apr 2017 01:21:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/RI/RWU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about RWU for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/RI/RWU_comments.html I loved my time at Roger Williams! The education program there is a hidden gem in Rhode Island! The faculty is amazing and everything you learn is completely relevant to your career in the real world.... Tue, 24 Jan 2017 01:30:50 GMT StudentsReview 1233-178338 1233-178338 1233 15 Education Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Positive I loved my time at Roger Williams! The education program there is a hidden gem in Rhode Island! The faculty is amazing and everything you learn is completely relevant to your career in the real world. They want to see you succeed and will help you by any means. Tue, 24 Jan 2017 01:30:50 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/RI/RWU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about RWU for Accountinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/RI/RWU_comments.html Roger Williams has to be the biggest joke of a school. I was a great person throughout my life. In high school I was on national honor society and was an honor role student. My 1 year at RWU was good ... Thu, 12 Nov 2015 02:11:17 GMT StudentsReview 1233-171718 1233-171718 1233 1 Accounting Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative Roger Williams has to be the biggest joke of a school. I was a great person throughout my life. In high school I was on national honor society and was an honor role student. My 1 year at RWU was good because of the friends I made and the knowledge I gained at my classes. But the school made me seem like I'm a horrible person by the countless times I got written for things that didn't make sense. Family and friends all think differently of me because of how I got written up snd it does not reflect the person who I really am. The school straight out ruined my life for a person that had high goals and dreams. Now I will be having problems trying to get jobs for my future because of what the school has done to me. I would highly suggest you never attend this university because it is far too expensive and all they care about is the money. Choose your plan B school because I guarantee it will be the best decision of your life. Thu, 12 Nov 2015 02:11:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/RI/RWU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about RWU for Engineering Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/RI/RWU_comments.html First off, what you hear on this website should not greatly effect your decision on a school choice but I'll offer my insight about roger williams. We can start with the bad. I've been a student for t... Sun, 18 Oct 2015 03:15:29 GMT StudentsReview 1233-171374 1233-171374 1233 61 Engineering Department Male Undergraduate Class 1920 3rd Year Advice First off, what you hear on this website should not greatly effect your decision on a school choice but I'll offer my insight about roger williams. We can start with the bad. I've been a student for three years now and I've noticed a great deal of most of the workings of this school besides the education by departments I've not shown interest in. My only complaint towards this schools faculty is its chemistry 100 level fall and spring course. It was very poorly run by faculty with the wrong intentions. As an engineering major we are told to "just make sure you pass," which was absurd to hear from the Dean but most passed and have accepted that our GPA take the hit it did. (if you do come here for engineering do not take Chemistry! Take it as a summer course and get the credits to transfer in as a pass, trust me.) Now of course their are gonna be teachers that just suck but there are very few of those here in my opinion. Now the worst part about the school, Housing.

Last week a friend of mine was issued a violation for cut out beer boxes on his wall, they called it drug paraphernalia. If that doesn't give you an insight to our housing department I'll go in a little more. Last year it was made available that RA's could simply walk into upperclassmen housing if they could hear music playing from outside and anyone under the age of 21 lives there. Bag checks past 8pm are mandatory whenever a public safety officer asks, which this has caused people to drive drunk since these bag checks are now being completed at inner campus shuttle stops. It is an understatement to say those who live on campus are treated as children. This causes many people to feel as if we have never left high school. Granted some of their stricter policies can be seen implemented on other campus's as well but their goals seem to be that more rules will lead to safer campus life but I've only seen it to cause more harm. While were on drinking I can tell you about what I noticed about the party scene.

This is NOT a party school. The biggest on campus party space you have is a 15ft x 15ft apartment living room in any upperclassmen housing. Now these bigger spaces are very limited and only certain people are brave enough to sacrifice their clean living area to let a bunch of overly drunk random (mostly freshman) students into their place to spill their drinks everywhere, ruin their furniture, and puke hopefully in the toilet. On any given Friday or Saturday you can find about 7-13 on campus "parties, this is a generous number. Now nearly 3500 students live on campus and most are looking to go to these parties. So if being crammed in a 15x15ft room with 60 people not being able to hear yourself think is a fun time for you, welcome to the on campus party school of Rhode island. Now we do have bigger campus housing down the road. Very few parties are held here once again only by the brave but in my experience they haven't been bad, more space and less people. But Campus regulated quiet hours start at 1 on weekends and RA's will walk around every hour and will shut down parties starting at 12. People here see this as the norm but in my opinion thats just too early. House parties are a thing but are again few between and dangerous for house owners. Bristol is a dense town, meaning houses are right next to one another. Most house parties I have been to have been shut down because the cops came and kicked people out while charging house owners with underage drinking violations. However I have also been to good house parties that have been a good night out. So like I said this is not a party school. They will tell you the party scene is what you make of it but I've been in bed by 11 too many times to call this place a good party school. But, that shouldn't discourage you from coming here.

Roger Williams may be a small school full of mostly white preppy morons but the quality of education here is high. The professors here are incredibly knowledgable and have come from some of the best undergraduate and masters programs in the country. I've met professors who are qualified to teach every course required for a degree. The faculty is also greatly willing to help students. I constantly go to office hours to see my professors and they urge to students to just come by and at least talk about course material just to help them learn. Our greatest asset at this school is our career center. The staff there are incredible and have many programs to help students find job shadows, internships, and even help get interviews for careers out of school come senior year. That alone would make me come to this school again.

This is a good small school. If you're looking to party your days away don't come here but if you value your education this school has incredible resources for you to succeed. Do some research, take a tour, and find out.
Sun, 18 Oct 2015 03:15:29 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/RI/RWU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about RWU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/RI/RWU_comments.html I've spent two years at this school as a marine biology major and I'm deciding to transfer. This school only cares about what prospective students see, putting our tuition into maintaining perfect lan... Fri, 24 Apr 2015 09:55:57 GMT StudentsReview 1233-160078 1233-160078 1233 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative I've spent two years at this school as a marine biology major and I'm deciding to transfer. This school only cares about what prospective students see, putting our tuition into maintaining perfect landscaping at all times instead of fixing the awful, unstable wifi. There's no excuse for sub-par internet at a private university. The class of 2018 is too big for housing so there were singles turned into doubles and doubles turned into triples, and the dorms are NOT spacious. Not nearly enough sections of required classess are offered, often leaving a long waitlist for select courses. Oh also, public safety and RA's are a cult that will bring you down at any chance they can. The thirst to party is so real for some people that freshmen will persist to get in to parties ruin apartments. And our rate of sexual assault is through the roof. Fri, 24 Apr 2015 09:55:57 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/RI/RWU_comments.html