StudentsReview - Salve Regina University - Life at SRU Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/RI/SRU_comments.html Life at SRU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about SRU for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/RI/SRU_comments.html When I was first admitted to Salve Regina, a wise friend advised me that it was primarily a school for "rich underachievers." And they couldn't have been more on point. The student body is composed ... Sun, 29 Mar 2015 08:10:02 GMT StudentsReview 1234-158936 1234-158936 1234 0 Unknown Female Undergraduate Class 2013 5th Year Negative When I was first admitted to Salve Regina, a wise friend advised me that it was primarily a school for "rich underachievers." And they couldn't have been more on point. The student body is composed mainly of very wealthy students, fresh from prep schools around the country. While at Salve, I got the sense that most students were attending on their parents dime, with little drive or motivation to truly excel or be great. Despite the beautiful backdrop of the ocean, I found SRU to be uninspired and unapproachable. Unless you have been touched by privilege of some sort, it is difficult to make meaningful friendships. Most of Salve's hidden gems transfer before their junior year. A shame. I felt intellectually and mentally hindered here. I often find myself wondering what might have been if I had attended a more intellectual school.

The social scene is mostly off campus. I had several strict RA's who seemed bent on causing trouble for other students. Drug and alcohol policies are VERY strict, as are noise regulations. To the point that one might feel like they are under the supervision of the gestapo. As one who likes to "live and let live", I found it extremely nerve-wracking and, once again, stifling. This, of course, will depend on your individual experience.

Academics--I was lucky enough to have some great professors, who were inspiring and went above and beyond. But this isn't a top notch academic school, obviously. With a fairly gratuitous acceptance rate and fairly small graduating classes, it's no Ivy League or even state-school research facility. That being said, the professors are lovely and dedicated and make do with what they have.

Student Services-the registrar and similar services never gave me trouble, but I know many others who went thru absolute hell. Approach with caution.

Financial Aid-Salve is outrageously overpriced for what you receive. That being said, if you have TRUE need, they will help you out. In fact, SRU was the only university I could actually afford to attend. Many points for this, Salve.

In sum--this place is a continuation of prep school. Caters mostly to privileged white students. If you can go somewhere else, go there. If you have to go to Salve, know that you'll get a great faculty and some individual attention, if you're into that type of thing.
Sun, 29 Mar 2015 08:10:02 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/RI/SRU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about SRU for Nursinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/RI/SRU_comments.html Salve Regina University is known as a beautiful campus, surrounded by water, in the middle of Newport, and full of mansions. It sounded exciting for sure, and I know I was awestruck the first time I v... Mon, 05 Jan 2015 01:35:27 GMT StudentsReview 1234-155877 1234-155877 1234 30 Nursing Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative Salve Regina University is known as a beautiful campus, surrounded by water, in the middle of Newport, and full of mansions. It sounded exciting for sure, and I know I was awestruck the first time I visited. I remember being impressed and excited when I first visited Salve. A community atmosphere was portrayed, and I felt welcomed.
That could not be further from the truth. Moving in, and living my first semester was an extreme eye-opener for me. It was difficult to make friends without having any common rooms, and an RA who did not organize any group activities.
Most of the teacher's are adjunct professors, and could care less because when they are teaching you, it's not their primary job. It is extremely difficult to find a tutor when you need help, and even more difficult to find trustworthy friends.
Another big social set-back for this school was, if you were not an athlete, and did not like to party every single weekend, it was practically impossible to meet a variety of people from different grades, which is what college is supposed to be about.
Because the upperclassmen are so spread out around campus, it is so difficult to meet people like you, unless you want to spend every waking minute with them by playing sports or being on the Campus Activities Board.
Many students are also extremely standoff-ish and snooty. Exactly what you would expect from Newport. These kids are entitled and unapproachable.
If you had a great time in high school, and you enjoyed the clique's and the need to impress people around you, and worry about what they might be saying behind your back, this school's the school for you.
Mon, 05 Jan 2015 01:35:27 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/RI/SRU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about SRU for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/RI/SRU_comments.html I transferred to Salve as a sophomore. I had no problem finding a great group of friends. You definitely need to spend at least one year living on campus to meet people and find your friends. Academi... Mon, 15 Dec 2014 09:46:56 GMT StudentsReview 1234-155196 1234-155196 1234 15 Education Female Undergraduate Class 2016 3rd Year Positive I transferred to Salve as a sophomore. I had no problem finding a great group of friends. You definitely need to spend at least one year living on campus to meet people and find your friends. Academically, Salve is great and very competitive. Your professors want to see you succeed. They are one of the best resources that Salve has. Your classes are small, and you will be known. Salve is a small school, so it only will appeal to students interested in a small setting. Socially, it is whatever you make it. It definitely gets better once you're 21, as Newport is a bar town. Overall, I never want my years at Salve to end. Mon, 15 Dec 2014 09:46:56 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/RI/SRU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about SRU for Accountinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/RI/SRU_comments.html Honestly a terrible, terrible school to go to if you do not plan on playing a sport. Academics are a joke as its mostly just sports players looking to cheat the system. Actual intelligence has no bene... Thu, 29 May 2014 06:23:10 GMT StudentsReview 1234-109752 1234-109752 1234 1 Accounting Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative Honestly a terrible, terrible school to go to if you do not plan on playing a sport. Academics are a joke as its mostly just sports players looking to cheat the system. Actual intelligence has no benefit on your gpa, but rather which course you can cheat on the most to get a better grade in. Students benefit more from taking classes taught by professors that give out easy A's. These classes quickly get filled up by athletes who get first choice during registration. Also if you aren't used to being around rich people then look elsewhere. Thu, 29 May 2014 06:23:10 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/RI/SRU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about SRU for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/RI/SRU_comments.html I can't express how thankful I am that I attend Salve Regina. As a junior at the University, my entire life has changed -- and I am headed everywhere I wanted to go. If you asked me what I thought of ... Sun, 01 Dec 2013 09:43:07 GMT StudentsReview 1234-97757 1234-97757 1234 54 Communications Male Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Positive I can't express how thankful I am that I attend Salve Regina. As a junior at the University, my entire life has changed -- and I am headed everywhere I wanted to go. If you asked me what I thought of this college when I was a freshman I would have told you to RUN! I hated everything -- and I have to say, I still feel sorry for the freshman here. Salve isn't your typical school, freshman year is weird -- something that is common for most students who attend college in Rhode Island. If you can get passed freshman year you are in for the best time. The school is growing in prestige and it really is an awesome place to get an education. Beautiful buildings, the Atlantic Ocean as a backdrop and the Catholic church bells that ring every hour on campus really create an ideal "ivy-esque" feel. I love my professors. The Communications/Journalism department is amazing -- I have learned so much about the media industry and am already interning with marketing companies ( I'm only a junior). I'll be going abroad this semester, another experience that Salve has opened up for me. Living off campus in Newport is amazing. Who else can say that their first home was in Newport? or that they go bar/house hopping in Newport. No other college is like it and that's why it's tough when students start comparing their experience to that of someone at Syracuse -- they're just totally different. I love my friends here and yeah there are things that still tick me off about the school, but trust me if you ask any college student they'll tell you the same thing.

All in all it's a great school and I cant wait to have a degree from this place. If you're thinking of coming here you really should. Salve helps to make everything super affordable and since it is a young school they work hard to make sure that each of their "soon-to-be" alumni will become powerful entities in the workforce to help build the university's name.
Sun, 01 Dec 2013 09:43:07 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/RI/SRU_comments.html