StudentsReview - The Citadel Military College of South Carolina - Life at CMSC Copyright 2022 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CT_comments.html Life at CMSC - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CMSC for Electrical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CT_comments.html I think I got my job because one of the people on the interview board was a Citadel parent, but I never found out if it made a real difference. That eventually allowed me to transfer to the department... Wed, 22 Feb 2017 09:46:59 GMT StudentsReview 1240-178942 1240-178942 1240 16 Electrical Engineering Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Neutral I think I got my job because one of the people on the interview board was a Citadel parent, but I never found out if it made a real difference. That eventually allowed me to transfer to the department in which I majored because my grades weren't going to get me there.

I was a straight A student in high school but too many cadets look at grades as second or third priority and I ended my freshman year barely keeping my academic scholarship. I graduated in just about the same situation. If it weren't for the determined professors' constant tutoring sessions to retrace the lesson to me, I would have never graduated. They were the most helpful for my earning my degree but I still haven't received a single letter asking for donations, probably because other alumni are as appreciative of their support as I am.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have tried to get scholarships at a different school. The Citadel wasn't even on any of my lists but they offered a full scholarship, so I went there. I met some very interesting people, but the majority of the cadets are just honing their bullying skills each year. Less than a third join the military, but way more than that know how to be rude. A lot of people in town and in the nearby colleges avoid cadets like the plague for this reason. They will never publicly admit it, but they are still one of the most backwards hubs in the nation for white men, constantly defending the South in the Civil War, always tooting "Dixie" and pining for the "good ol' days", and always politely or flat out rudely looking down on women and minorities. They will make comments that no one should think or utter and then call you a p***y for not finding humor in it.

It is no better even if you make it through. If you are not a white man or a minority who keeps his/her head down and let's them run all over you, do not expect any of the networking benefits it claims to have. There is no end to the discrimination. Note that the network does not extend past the bordering states, so if you want to stay close, go ahead and try. But once you are out three or four states, people don't even know the school exists.

I would recommend minorities who are looking for a good education to look elsewhere. If the Citadel is the only one to offer a full scholarship, it might be worth it. You DO get three meals a day once you're an upperclassman, but during the first year, you will probably have to scavenge. If you DO attend this school as a minority, get a degree that will make it worth the excess trouble. Go for the Honors program. Some of the best professors teach these classes.

I reiterate, try to go to a different school first. The Citadel should be a last resort.
Wed, 22 Feb 2017 09:46:59 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CT_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about CMSC for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CT_comments.html My professors at The Citadel were very good or very bad. Attending The toughest thing I ever did was to attend The Citadel. When you graduate you have a bond with other Citadel graduates... Sat, 08 Feb 2014 01:46:35 GMT StudentsReview 1240-101192 1240-101192 1240 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Positive My professors at The Citadel were very good or very bad. Attending The toughest thing I ever did was to attend The Citadel. When you graduate you have a bond with other Citadel graduates Sat, 08 Feb 2014 01:46:35 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CT_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about CMSC for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CT_comments.html worst school ever. they dont give two ****s about you . all they care about is waking up at 5am everyday and treating you like crap. transfering out asap . and also they hate everyone from the north.... Fri, 23 Sep 2011 01:01:23 GMT StudentsReview 1240-81237 1240-81237 1240 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative worst school ever. they dont give two ****s about you . all they care about is waking up at 5am everyday and treating you like crap. transfering out asap . and also they hate everyone from the north. Fri, 23 Sep 2011 01:01:23 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CT_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about CMSC for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CT_comments.html I dont know what the "transfer" student was talking about. But i chose the citadel for the challenge and the academics. Its a "military college," that alone should define the school in a nut shell; fo... Wed, 02 Feb 2011 08:31:13 GMT StudentsReview 1240-74325 1240-74325 1240 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2008 4th Year Positive I dont know what the "transfer" student was talking about. But i chose the citadel for the challenge and the academics. Its a "military college," that alone should define the school in a nut shell; for those of you who "transfer" to a military college and didnt think the "military" part was actually practiced, you are greatly mistaken. Normal PT at 0530, formations at 0700, parades every friday. These are only a few of the military aspect of the school. It also offers 4yr ROTC courses with officers commissions after graduation in every major branch, including the Coast Guard. As for the academic, the school is very well rounded. One of the top 5 civil engineering programs in the United States. Class size very rarely exceeds 30 students, so the faculaity has the ability to know EVERY studen they teach. Not uncommon to be called out by a teacher, by name, to answer a specific question, becuase said teacher knows you either like/dislike a certain topic. Overall, I loved the citadel. I wasnt what you called the "ideal" cadet, i was a sort of trouble maker. But even with all the punishments i served, i would never change my college experience for the world. the times i had, the eternal bonds that were formed. i met some of my best firnds at that school. The type of friendships that are bonded by fire, these are guys i would take a bullet for in a split second. The Citadel is a tradition which was formed in 1842, some kids that attend, their great-grandparents are alumni, and thus, they will be a legacy, and their childrens children will attend as well. with that said, it paints a picture of what life will be like. southern traditions are still at play, the confederacy is embraced (mainly because the citadel is responsible for starting the civil war!), and hard work is awaded. if you are looking for a hell of a 4 year challenge outside of your "normal" college...the citadel is your place.

Sincerely,
An Alumni
Hotel Co. '08
Wed, 02 Feb 2011 08:31:13 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CT_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about CMSC for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CT_comments.html I chose Citadel because I thought it would help me prepare to be a Marine officer and the alumni networking would help when I got into the fleet. I transferred in after two years at a junior college a... Wed, 25 Aug 2010 05:38:57 GMT StudentsReview 1240-70607 1240-70607 1240 17 English Male Undergraduate Class 2009 1st Year Negative I chose Citadel because I thought it would help me prepare to be a Marine officer and the alumni networking would help when I got into the fleet. I transferred in after two years at a junior college and got an enormous wake-up call the moment I got there. If you are transferring, this school is NOT for you. The whole "break down and rebuild you" philosophy is admirable as long as it doesn't affect academics. But as a knob that is not the case! You have two inviolate hours per day of study and (in my case) seven classes (per semsester)! Plus I was given, by the admissions staff, the impression that I would only be taking a few lower-division courses, mostly sticking to my major and graduating in two years. WRONG! I got stuck taking ONE english course and six classes in math/science or a foreign language. So I'd be spending almost four years there playing catch-up in calculus and physics to get a BA in ENGLISH! I will NEVER understand the modern military's myth of engineers making future Napoleons. The man said to study Frederick the Great and Caesar, not differential equations!

Long story short it's an academic paradise for engineers because they are "tested" on their strongpoint. Thus a fifth of the freshmen class gets disqualified from return on academics alone their first year! And that doesn't even touch the guys who drop out through standard attrition! Btw, those pretty things at the College of Charleston really don't want anything to do with cadets. They're all locked up dogs who should be put down, as I was told. The only people who like the cadets are the elderly and the tour buses that point out another historical remnant of Charleston's slave past.
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 05:38:57 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CT_comments.html