StudentsReview - Coastal Carolina University - Life at CCUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CCU_comments.html Life at CCU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about CCU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CCU_comments.html My time at Coastal was the worst time of my life. They absorb a student population through the pure aesthetics of the campus... and it works. The school itself is a joke. There is nothing that is "... Sun, 12 Oct 2014 08:39:34 GMT StudentsReview 1243-142383 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1243-142383 1243 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative My time at Coastal was the worst time of my life. They absorb a student population through the pure aesthetics of the campus... and it works. The school itself is a joke. There is nothing that is "challenging." A good example of this is somebody next to me was taking a level 300 Government course and I could answer every question after taking a high school AP US GOV class. The campus life is poor. The place is a party school, and it is dead on the weekends because people have too much of a hangover for extreme inebriation or they would rather party all day. So you can only imagine the conversations that you will hear in the halls everyday. Not only this, but the campus is not safe. Not only was I hit by a campus police officer who blew through a crosswalk, but also they decided to cover it up so that I appeared okay. This is not the only case of campus safety mishap. In 2013 a homicide happened on campus, killing somebody at the University Place dorms. Yeah, look it up, these are hard facts. Before you enroll or your parents enroll you, do some more research. Everyone here clearly does not get the experience of college, so unless you want to join that statistic, don't come here. I plan on transferring to a school of merit, and if I was an employer, I would clearly understand the intentions of an applicant who attended Coastal, a party kid. Not only this, but the tuition for out of state students (nearly 50% of the class of 2018 undergraduates) is quite ridiculous. Go spend your money elsewhere, because you would have better luck buying a collection of PEZ dispensers than invest for you future here. This "rigor" (or lack of as I believe) is clearly prevalent in the classes. This is because of two things. One, being the student populations, "I don't give a damn" attitude, and the other being the lack of funding towards teachers. The deans and top tier make a whopping $500,000 annually as the professors are lucky to touch that with their doctorate degrees. Maybe, if the school didn't fund for us to have kayaks and paddle boards when there is no time or place to use them, then we could enjoy the rigor and feel pushed. That being said, our tuition money being collected by this school manages to fund golf carts for faculty that want to "pimp" out their golf cart with rims and LED under lighting (this is no joke). Also, for anybody trying to come here for the beach scene, this school is not on the beach. In fact, it is quite the trek to the nearest beach (12-13 miles). That is equivalent to about an hour in Myrtle Beach's traffic system at least! Enjoy the traffic jam. Overall, I have spent half the time I expected in college to study and focus on academics, and I am maintaining a 96% average (some of my classes I have a 98 - 99%). So this is my advice to you, DO NOT GO HERE! I guess by now, you can guess that I have prepped and expect to transfer after a semester. Sun, 12 Oct 2014 08:39:34 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CCU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about CCU for Accountinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CCU_comments.html Coastal is a great school. I love it. People often misjudge CCU for a party school, but it also has great academics.... Tue, 30 Sep 2014 04:08:56 GMT StudentsReview 1243-138652 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1243-138652 1243 1 Accounting Male Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Positive Coastal is a great school. I love it. People often misjudge CCU for a party school, but it also has great academics. Tue, 30 Sep 2014 04:08:56 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CCU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about CCU for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CCU_comments.html My experience at CCU was one I will never forget. I transferred to CCU & In all honest strongly feel I made the right choice. As someone who transferred here I will give you the pros & cons of CCU. ... Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:20:23 GMT StudentsReview 1243-134316 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1243-134316 1243 54 Communications Female Undergraduate Class 2012 3rd Year Positive My experience at CCU was one I will never forget. I transferred to CCU & In all honest strongly feel I made the right choice. As someone who transferred here I will give you the pros & cons of CCU.

-The campus is beautiful, it's well maintained, the buildings are all in good shape. The university has done so much construction since I graduated in 2012! Tons of new buildings. Dormitories compared to many universities are TOP NOTCH.

-Faculty/Staff: I loved the faculty & staff at CCU. They went above & beyond to help their students & always made you feel warm & welcome. Not once did I feel like just a number. The professors for the most part were hard working & very knowledgable in their field.

-Program: one thing I'm a little disappointed in was my program. I studied communications & I know at the time the program was fairly new. At that time I felt as though compared to my previous instruction, Coastal did not offer as many classes or as many options as far as classes went. There were certain aspects of communications I would have like to study further but CCU did not offer classes in them. HOWEVER, I know that the department is growing a lot & that there are many many more classes available now in communication & journalism. I just wish they were there when I was an undergrad.

-Surrounding City: myrtle beach is a 15 min drive down the road. Conway is "ok" but there really is so much to do both OFF & ON campus. I was never bored & could always find somewhere to hang out.

-Students: a lot of people give CCU the rep of a "party" school & while it's by the beach & there are MORE bars/places to part I felt that when it came down to studies, the library was always crowded. I never felt "distracted" by parties or anything of the sort. The students are mostly very friendly & welcoming. There is a "happy feeling" on campus. There's no cliques everyone just talks to everyone.

Food: I wish they had more variety of food. That's one thing but the food was ok. It's college food it's never going to be "moms cooking" that's with any college though.

Overall, I'm so happy I picked CCU. I feel I learned so much about who I am & grew so much! I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the campus & even meeting with faculty. Honestly, CCU for me was the best decision I made
Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:20:23 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CCU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CCU for Undecidedhttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CCU_comments.html The campus is very nice and the professors are very helpful and engaging and want to develop an academic relationship with each student. The cops/security are incredibly overbearing and make it hard ... Thu, 18 Sep 2014 03:29:49 GMT StudentsReview 1243-131806 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1243-131806 1243 52 Undecided Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Neutral The campus is very nice and the professors are very helpful and engaging and want to develop an academic relationship with each student. The cops/security are incredibly overbearing and make it hard to feel comfortable and at home here. The other students are not as friendly as you would expect/as they appeared at orientation and it is more than likely that you will be stuck here with very few friends. Thu, 18 Sep 2014 03:29:49 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CCU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about CCU for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CCU_comments.html When I first visited coastal I knew I had to go there. I loved everything about it, that is until I got there. I was put in housing that was not even on campus- it's across a highway and down the road... Fri, 08 Aug 2014 02:41:43 GMT StudentsReview 1243-119387 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1243-119387 1243 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Negative When I first visited coastal I knew I had to go there. I loved everything about it, that is until I got there. I was put in housing that was not even on campus- it's across a highway and down the road from campus and they were apartments. Just where freshmen want to be.. not. I did not ask to be there- it was my last choice actually. It was hard enough to make friends apartment style but it made it worse that they place you with people randomly. I only got along with one of my roommates and another one was just down right awful. The buses were never on time - they were either very early or very late and there was hardly ever room. Classes were fine, Some teachers were great and some we're not helpful what so ever. I do feel like I did learn a lot in my short time in the classes though. The campus is very pretty and most of the students are nice and very friendly (it is the south). Oh, and if your planning on coming from out of state, make friends with people that don't live around or in the area- the campus was nearly empty on weekends, everyone leaves. There were countless weekends I was left alone and went to the cafeteria to find I was one of the only people there. I also didn't realize how much of a party school coastal is. Maybe that was just me being naive but seriously people, Calm down for a second. The one incident that really pushed me over the edge was sorority recruitment,Which I dropped out of after this- they had the meetings for it at the science building which is a building that you have to drive to. I went through recruitment alone and didn't have a car so I took the bus there. It started in the evening and went late, midnight maybe, and by then the buses had stopped running. By the time I got out of the building everyone had basically gone, I knew no one and there were no buses for me to get home. I eventually had to ask a few random girls for a ride back to my apartment and when we got there, she dropped me off at the front gate since it was closed. There was a security officer there( who I had planned on asking if he would walk me the rest of the way) yelled at me for having them drop me off there then drove off in his little golf cart without another word. I had to walk the rest of the way to the apartment alone in the middle of the night. Thanks coastal for having such great security. I felt sooo safe. Overall I lasted a semester. I just couldn't deal with it anymore. Fri, 08 Aug 2014 02:41:43 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CCU_comments.html