StudentsReview - The College of Charleston - Life at CC Copyright 2021 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CoC_comments.html Life at CC - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about CC for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CoC_comments.html The staff is very rude and the school has dumbed down considerably since I was there. I wish my daughter didn't have to attend but it is in our hometown. I have witnessed the staff and administration ... Tue, 04 Aug 2020 06:35:53 GMT StudentsReview 1245-186441 1245-186441 1245 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Negative The staff is very rude and the school has dumbed down considerably since I was there. I wish my daughter didn't have to attend but it is in our hometown. I have witnessed the staff and administration treat students very poorly. To quote one of my favorite CofC professors who is no longer with us, "Lets' not forget what side of the counter we are on" The College of Charleston has forgotten that they exist to serve the students and not the other way around. Tue, 04 Aug 2020 06:35:53 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CoC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about CC for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CoC_comments.html I went to CofC and majored in Art History, and it has helped me tremendously. I currently attend a top 5 grad school in London, and I absolutely feel my undergrad degree helped me become one of the t... Wed, 06 May 2015 08:47:45 GMT StudentsReview 1245-161173 1245-161173 1245 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Positive I went to CofC and majored in Art History, and it has helped me tremendously. I currently attend a top 5 grad school in London, and I absolutely feel my undergrad degree helped me become one of the top 2 in the class! The professors are amazing and extremely helpful and give excellent advice even after you graduate. I was lucky enough to go on a study trip with Prof. Ibarra my junior year to Italy, and that experience really inspired me to find a graduate school where they championed in situ art historical studies! Could not recommend this program more highly! Wed, 06 May 2015 08:47:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CoC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about CC for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CoC_comments.html Three years after I graduated I look back on my undergraduate time at CofC. I went back to school at a better public school in NJ and now have a real job. If you can't have fun in Charleston, the p... Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:47:27 GMT StudentsReview 1245-156790 1245-156790 1245 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2011 4th Year Negative Three years after I graduated I look back on my undergraduate time at CofC. I went back to school at a better public school in NJ and now have a real job.

If you can't have fun in Charleston, the problem is you not the schools fault. Students were friendly, good looking (male and female), datable, and pleasant. And the nightlife was pretty good, and the beach and weather were excellent. And yes Charleston is a historic, wonderful city. However, I would instead vacation and not go to school here.

The college itself is percoeved by many as a stoner party school with mostly liberal arts majors. I got an internship (out of state) and eventually into additional schooling and got a good job. Most out of (and in state) people deride cofc saying its a weak school. The only degrees offered here worth any economic value are computer science and accounting. The rest are wortless throw aways, and given the cost of tuition that is always rising I wouldnt go here. All out of state students should avoid. If you're premed or majoring in the aforementioned 2 majors and knocked out your first 2 years and an in state community college its worth it. Otherwise do cc and go to clemson.

The local job market is pretty awful as well which makes getting local internships hard. Charleston has a high tax corrupt local government with strict building codes which discourages local business investment. Most jobs are in low paying recreation/food service fields, and even these are competitive. Apparently Boeing has a plant nearby, but with no engineering degrees offered, don't expect much luck from them.
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:47:27 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CoC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about CC for Geography and Geoscienceshttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CoC_comments.html I have had only pleasant experiences while at the College of Charleston. The faculty have been incredibly supportive, and have been genuinely interested in MY interests. I only wish that I could do ... Tue, 30 Dec 2014 01:48:44 GMT StudentsReview 1245-155719 1245-155719 1245 56 Geography and Geosciences Female Undergraduate Class 2015 4th Year Positive I have had only pleasant experiences while at the College of Charleston. The faculty have been incredibly supportive, and have been genuinely interested in MY interests. I only wish that I could do it all over again! Tue, 30 Dec 2014 01:48:44 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CoC_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about CC for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CoC_comments.html I am a transfer student. I know I sat here and read a million reviews. I must admit first-hand, EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE. And most people who have a negative experience typically like to vo... Tue, 30 Dec 2014 03:51:39 GMT StudentsReview 1245-155703 1245-155703 1245 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Advice I am a transfer student. I know I sat here and read a million reviews. I must admit first-hand, EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE. And most people who have a negative experience typically like to vocalize it. That's why half of the reviews on this site for most of the colleges on this site show almost 50% negative reviews. Happy students dont go online to complain.

NOW, College of Charleston is spectacular. Its as academically challenging as you make it. Pick easy classes, or go pre-med (be warned, organic chem does not curve). Its as socially stimulating as you make it. Its as fun as you make it. Its as enriching as you make it. Its as rewarding as you make it.

With regards to the student body, there is a pretty massive out-of-state population. Stereotypically they are wealthy, educated white kids from the Northeast. Kids from up north love this place, and admissions from the Northeast are the most competitive. For a state-school, theres quite a lot of students from very very wealthy backgrounds. As an out of state student, I have noticed, dare I say, an academic gap. Between in-state and out-of-state students. You may have a very intelligent kid from a new england boarding school, sitting in class next to a complete idiot redneck from middle-of-nowhere south carolina who was 3rd in his graduating class but only got a 1020 on his SATs. My point is, there are in-state kids who would have never been admitted in a million years if they werent from SC.

In general, the college lacks diversity. But I must admit it is improving.

The City of Charleston is incredible. If you don't seize the opportunities it has to offer, than its your own fault.

Also, this campus is gorgeous. And I dont mean just the buildings. There must be a photo required on applications. Everyone here is beautiful, the Greeks are beautiful, the athletes are beautiful, the nerds are beautiful, the hipsters are beautiful, the artsy kids are beautiful. Virtually every student from any walk of life is attractive. Expect your self esteem to take a hit upon move-in day. But dont fret, this campus is insanely friendly. There are rules down here in the south, you hold the door for people, you smile, you say please and thank you. Basic rules. And you will follow them. Thats what makes this campus and this city so incredible.

For athletics, we have excellent teams that dont really matter. Our Soccer, Golf, Baseball, and Sailing teams are typically among the best in the nation. Our basketball team is mediocre at best, despite the fact that the school pumps an insane amount of money into it.

And we dont have football. Get over it. If you choose a school based off of 8 tailgates/homegames a year, go hang out with the idiots at USC. If you want to go to a football game from CofC, USC is 1.5 hrs away and Clemson is 3. I've gone to games. There awesome. But having this incredible school in this most-incredible city every single day is a much better investment.

Come here. It will change your life.
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 03:51:39 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/SC/CoC_comments.html