StudentsReview - California State Polytechnic University - Pomona - Life at CSU/CSPU-Pomona Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSPU_comments.html Life at CSU/CSPU-Pomona - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about CSU/CSPU-Pomona for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSPU_comments.html I transferred to Cal Poly Pomona in 2016 as a Business FRL student. I changed my major after 1 quarter because I felt that business was no longer a field I was interested in. Since I only took 2 FRL c... Thu, 21 Feb 2019 05:23:42 GMT StudentsReview 128-184312 128-184312 128 58 Political Science Female Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Positive I transferred to Cal Poly Pomona in 2016 as a Business FRL student. I changed my major after 1 quarter because I felt that business was no longer a field I was interested in. Since I only took 2 FRL classes at CPP I can't really speak to the quality of the program. However, I did feel that the 2 business professors I had were not the best. They were not passionate or exciting but that view may be due to my lack of interest in business as a field.

The program I CAN vouch for is the Political Science program. The professors I met through the Poli Sci department have been some of the most passionate and down to earth people I've met. They really want you to succeed and are very clear about their expectations from you as a student. Additionally, I was able to recieve guidance from many of them when deciding what to do after graduation. I also felt comfortable reaching out to previous professors for grad school letters of recommendation.

Furthermore, the senior capstone is also an EXCELLENT example of the cal poly learn-by-doing motto. My capstone thesis/internship allowed me to gain hands on experience interning in politics as well as conducting research on what interested me. I was nervous about the capstone at first, but the professors were very approachable and offered support whenever they could to make sure I did my best.
Thu, 21 Feb 2019 05:23:42 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSPU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about CSU/CSPU-Pomona for Kinesiologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSPU_comments.html The school transitioning to Semester was very unorganized. When I rate the faculty as condescending and unhelpful, I am talking about the administrative and class department faculty. The academic facu... Thu, 25 Oct 2018 03:36:49 GMT StudentsReview 128-183858 128-183858 128 21 Kinesiology Female Undergraduate Class 2019 4th Year Negative The school transitioning to Semester was very unorganized. When I rate the faculty as condescending and unhelpful, I am talking about the administrative and class department faculty. The academic faculty are helpful, but they also get stuck by the lack of organization, knowledge and coordination of the administrative and department faculty.

Advice: If you have another option to go to another school, I'd say go to that school.
Thu, 25 Oct 2018 03:36:49 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSPU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CSU/CSPU-Pomona for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSPU_comments.html I'm a first year out of state student in mechanical engineering and am becoming quite frustrated already. I like my classes and the professors are nice. However the staff is rude and not helpful. It's... Tue, 14 Feb 2017 06:22:40 GMT StudentsReview 128-178787 128-178787 128 24 Mechanical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 1920 1st Year Neutral I'm a first year out of state student in mechanical engineering and am becoming quite frustrated already. I like my classes and the professors are nice. However the staff is rude and not helpful. It's very hard to get into the classes you need in this major. Already I am behind by three classes and that's considered lucky from what I hear. The dorms are quite old and small even for two people and I'm in a three bed dorm.

So far the other students are nice and the social life is ok. The campus grounds are ok. As for the surrounding area, I haven't vetured out near the school yet but I have relatives here and they warn me never to go alone and to have at least three buddies with me.

My main complaint is not getting into the classes I need for my major. If this keeps happening, I won't graduate until seven years. I am already thinking about transferring to another school. Also, this school will be transitioning from a quarter system to a semester system which will put students even more further behind.
Tue, 14 Feb 2017 06:22:40 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSPU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about CSU/CSPU-Pomona for Engineering Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSPU_comments.html If you would like to have an enjoyable college experience with friendly teachers, a challenging but stimulating workload, any kind of social life, and an overall memorable experience that you will che... Fri, 25 Jul 2014 03:49:50 GMT StudentsReview 128-115772 128-115772 128 61 Engineering Department Male Undergraduate Class 2015 5th Year Negative If you would like to have an enjoyable college experience with friendly teachers, a challenging but stimulating workload, any kind of social life, and an overall memorable experience that you will cherish forever, I implore to please please please whatever you do avoid this school or at least the engineering department at all costs. The quality of this department and school has dropped so significantly in the last few years, I warn everyone thinking about applying to not waste their time or money. Because cal poly pays the absolute least in professor wages, any decent teacher immediately transfers away as soon as they can. The leftover professors are terrible and barely speak any English. They are constantly getting annoyed because of their inability to articulate their lesson, and half the time just give up and read off slides they made five years ago. I was especially surprised when I found out there is NO EXPOSURE TO ANY AUTOCAD, which is required in absolutely every engineering job. This school is ridiculous and does not deserve its current ranking which is why it has only DROPPED in the last six years. Fri, 25 Jul 2014 03:49:50 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSPU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CSU/CSPU-Pomona for Sociologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSPU_comments.html Overall, the difficulty of the university is highly dependent on your major. I changed majors while attending school here, from geology to sociology. The science programs from what I experienced (chem... Wed, 05 Mar 2014 02:29:05 GMT StudentsReview 128-102720 128-102720 128 50 Sociology Male Undergraduate Class 2011 4th Year Neutral Overall, the difficulty of the university is highly dependent on your major. I changed majors while attending school here, from geology to sociology. The science programs from what I experienced (chem, bio, geology, math) were very good and challenging. I enjoyed the classes but eventually changed majors because although it was enjoyable, I did not see myself in a career in the field. There were definitely variations in the quality of professors. If you can, do your research on the professor prior to picking your classes.

Once I went to sociology, the courses were MUCH easier. As is expected in an arts major, the courses are going to be much easier. Professors for the most part are highly liberal, which in this field is expected, and closed-minded. I found students who did not agree with most professors' opinions were often chastised in front of the entire class. If you just sit there and regurgitate what they want to hear, you'll get an A, easy. There is usually little to no room for actual debate or discussion...more of a "this is how it is" approach to teaching. There were a few professors, and very few, that were actually enjoyable and encouraged debate (Prof. Jack Fong was my favorite). Anyhow, a lot of the courses were repetitive, and I really felt I did not learn a whole lot or it was not applicable to much of anything else.

I do feel the quality of education went down even as I was attending, largely due to the politics of the university...it seemed like they were more interested in the number of people they could graduate versus the quality of the education. From my observations, this practice seemed to hurt the school more since they were admitting many students who were not at the college level. Many of the courses were highly impacted due to people retaking them because they had already failed them once. I also took far too many classes where students just did not show up to class and were taking up seats in already hard to get courses. Overall, I did not get an academic feeling while attending this university. Most students seemed interested in just passing their courses in the easiest way possible. I felt the university lacked creativity and an emphasis on individual students. It is more of a cookie cutter university and it seemed to take away the passion and interest in many of the courses. But aren't most universities in the US headed in this direction already?

From what I hear, the university has been adjusting their policies to correct the damage of their prior policies, hopefully for the better.
Wed, 05 Mar 2014 02:29:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSPU_comments.html