StudentsReview - California State University - San Marcos - Life at CSUSM/CalState-San Marcos Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSM_comments.html Life at CSUSM/CalState-San Marcos - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about CSUSM/CalState-San Marcos for Computer Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSM_comments.html The professors I've had were amazing. Our program is more focused on C and C++ which helps get a better understanding of the hardware. To find a good job you should definitely intern before graduating... Fri, 13 Jul 2018 12:56:49 GMT StudentsReview 129-183413 129-183413 129 12 Computer Science Female Undergraduate Class 1922 4th Year Positive The professors I've had were amazing. Our program is more focused on C and C++ which helps get a better understanding of the hardware. To find a good job you should definitely intern before graduating. Classes are very theoretical and take a lot of time to understand. Definitely worth it tho :) Fri, 13 Jul 2018 12:56:49 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSM_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about CSUSM/CalState-San Marcos for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSM_comments.html About me: 4th year PSCI student who works on campus 1st: This school is a racket. Literally the most expensive school in the CSU system. They are trying to expand, so they issue high interest bonds... Mon, 02 Jun 2014 07:08:20 GMT StudentsReview 129-109963 129-109963 129 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Negative About me: 4th year PSCI student who works on campus

1st: This school is a racket. Literally the most expensive school in the CSU system. They are trying to expand, so they issue high interest bonds that comes from (you guessed it) you and your family. Parking permit here is $340... A SEMESTER! At CSUN it is only $180, about half.

2nd: Women aren't as hot as you would think. There are many girls but most of them are young, over weight, or dumb... but usually all three. So if you were a virgin in highschool, he is your shot.

3rd: We are NAIA division. What is that you ask? Well basically rec league because we suck too much to even be a NCAA D3

4th. No campus life. Most people are commuters. The rest are freshman that live in overprices dorms. San Marcos, is a family suburb. No car, tough luck.

5th. Employees are liars and snitches.They will do anything to one up you, especially when you are doing good. Although convienent, I would suggest not working here.

Honestly, I came here because of the lack of funds. If I could take it back, I would take out loans to go to another school. It is honestly, really that bad.
Mon, 02 Jun 2014 07:08:20 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSM_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about CSUSM/CalState-San Marcos for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSM_comments.html I am a second year biotechnology student, with a minor in computer science here at CSUSM. The main campus is about 15 minutes from the closest beach (you can see the ocean from the 5th floor of the li... Tue, 17 Dec 2013 01:51:05 GMT StudentsReview 129-98567 129-98567 129 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Positive I am a second year biotechnology student, with a minor in computer science here at CSUSM. The main campus is about 15 minutes from the closest beach (you can see the ocean from the 5th floor of the library), and about 25 minutes from downtown San Diego.

First off, I am going to be completely honest. I did not particularly fall in love with CSUSM - immediately. I did not live in the dorms, I lived in some nearby housing off campus. I found it really hard to meet people, until my second year when I started getting to know people in the biology and chemistry departments. Yes, it is no secret that the university has the reputation of being a commuter campus. Maybe it is, but I can tell you that the quality of your social life depends on how much effort you put into it. I was frustrated because I wasn't getting the "college experience", but this was not a fault of the college's, but my own. As soon as I joined a club and began to put myself out there to others in my department, it got better almost instantly. I have had an amazing time since, and it was all because I took some time to take my nose out of the textbooks. The social life here will not throw itself at you, but it is here, so you get what you put into it.

There is plenty to do in the area. There is hiking in nearby Elfin Forest, and beaches in Encinitas and Carlsbad just 15 minutes away. If you get bored there, you can take the sprinter train straight from campus to Oceanside, which features, guess what, more beaches. And if you get bored of the beach, head to downtown, where there is plenty of shopping, clubs, etc.

The campus: it is brand new, just over 20 years old. The building are very nice, and kind of have a private school feel to them in both architectural aesthetics and in quality. Not bad for $3500 a semester (if you're in state).The campus is growing very fast. They are opening up a 89,000 square foot student union in the Spring 2014 semester. They also just broke ground on two other buildings, and that doesn't include the brand new dorms that going up as well. Only about a third of the campus has been completed, so construction will be a part of the life here until it is completed.

The quality of education. I can only speak for the biology and chemistry departments here, but I have found it to be pretty amazing. The professors provide a rigorous, challenging program. You will have to sacrifice most of your social life if you wish to succeed. However, the professors are always there to help if you need it. Go to office hours! It's a great chance to get your face known, and to get a better understanding of some of the material.

They also have many research opportunities for undergrads, where you get to work in an actual lab on a project with a professor. It looks great on a resume. San Diego is a great place to be a science major because lots of job opportunities.

For incoming students, I would highly suggest living on campus for at least one year. It will allow you to meet people that you may not see otherwise. It will certainly help making friends easier. I would also suggest joining clubs. Just put yourself out there, and the rest will come.

Oh, there is one bad thing about this campus, and that is the price of parking. It is pretty outrageous: $350 a semester. Yep.
Tue, 17 Dec 2013 01:51:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSM_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about CSUSM/CalState-San Marcos for Sociologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSM_comments.html While I can't speak for all of the programs the sociology and criminal justice are a complete joke. If you are a white male then be prepared to feel the brute force of people scorned. There is very li... Tue, 16 Jul 2013 01:14:09 GMT StudentsReview 129-94868 129-94868 129 50 Sociology Male Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Negative While I can't speak for all of the programs the sociology and criminal justice are a complete joke. If you are a white male then be prepared to feel the brute force of people scorned. There is very little exploration of society as a whole and rather a whole 4 years of looking at African American struggles a few quick issues looking at Hispanic cultures. Teachers are condescending and WILL talk down to you just because you don't have years of research or a masters minimum. Tue, 16 Jul 2013 01:14:09 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSM_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about CSUSM/CalState-San Marcos for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSM_comments.html I am a Biology major with a emphasis in physiology and a minor in chemistry. I am premed and I am applying to medical school next summer (2014). My professors have really helped me on my path and I ha... Thu, 30 May 2013 02:31:30 GMT StudentsReview 129-94151 129-94151 129 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Positive I am a Biology major with a emphasis in physiology and a minor in chemistry. I am premed and I am applying to medical school next summer (2014). My professors have really helped me on my path and I have learned a ridiculous amount of information throughout my college career. I am currently studying for the MCAT and I feel as though my classes at CSUSM have really prepared me for the test.

There are great opportunities that I have made sure to take advantage of at CSUSM. I do research for a professor on campus which has really helped me on my journey. My research deals with locating a specific gene in bacteria that is responsible for biosynthesis of a particular hormone of intrest.

If you are a science major, there is extensive support to help you achieve success in your classes. There is a supplemental instructor assigned to notoriously difficult classes. This instructor sets up multiple meeting times per week to discuss and practice what has been taught in class. Furthermore, there is a STEM center which is a place you can go from 9-5 every day to receive help in physics, biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, math, computer science, etc. You do not need an appointment, all you have to do is show up with your questions and be ready to work. I am a tutor at this center and I myself receive help here which has really helped me in my classes.

This is a great school that not too many people really know about. I would definitely recommend this school, especially for prospective STEM majors. Although one of the few problems I have with CSUSM is it is still some what of a commuter school. I still have had a great social life with plenty of fun.
Thu, 30 May 2013 02:31:30 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSM_comments.html