StudentsReview - The University of Tennessee - Life at UTKhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TN/UTK_comments.html Life at UTK - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about UTK for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TN/UTK_comments.html UT was my first choice school out of state. The atmosphere was surprisingly very open minded and conducive to creative thinking. Students are extremely friendly, as are faculty members. The athletic f... Fri, 18 Apr 2014 12:16:37 GMT StudentsReview 1307-106041 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1307-106041 1307 38 Psychology Male Undergraduate Class 2010 4th Year Positive UT was my first choice school out of state. The atmosphere was surprisingly very open minded and conducive to creative thinking. Students are extremely friendly, as are faculty members. The athletic facilities, social experience, and gorgeous Southern belles are the best parts about the school. The worst things were the campus food and the red tape bureaucracy of the administrative departments. Fri, 18 Apr 2014 12:16:37 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TN/UTK_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UTK for Social Workhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TN/UTK_comments.html Background: When I was a little girl, growing up in Gainesville, Florida, all I wanted to do when I grew up was be a dazzler at UF. Sadly, when I was 11, we moved to Knoxville, so here I am... a dis... Mon, 10 Dec 2012 09:55:36 GMT StudentsReview 1307-90895 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1307-90895 1307 66 Social Work Female Undergraduate Class 2014 3rd Year Negative Background: When I was a little girl, growing up in Gainesville, Florida, all I wanted to do when I grew up was be a dazzler at UF. Sadly, when I was 11, we moved to Knoxville, so here I am... a disappointed and unfulfilled UT student.

Overall, this school could be worse. My program itself is great and I would highly recommend it (Social work). However, as someone else pointed out, it feels like every girl I run into outside of social work classes is a "Communications" major, whatever the hell that is, and every guy is majoring in business. Some students are similar to me in their disdain for the sorostitute/fratdaddy mill that is UT social life. I have also noticed that all the girls and guys look alike.
The professors I've had have been great so far... overall. I went to a community college for a while, and the profs there for gen ed were WAY better. Gen ed classes at UT are primarily taught by grad students, and not very well at that. Higher level classes have good quality professors that are easy to talk to, in my experience.
Campus: This has got to be one of the worst things about UT. The construction right now makes the campus look that much worse. The buildings have nice architecture on the outside, and the new buildings are really nice inside as well. However, most of the buildings are older, and feel really grungy and run down on the inside. I guess all the money they pour into their shitty athletics and the buyouts of 4 different coaches are really taking a toll. I love schools that have their priorities straight. Safety really is a problem on campus too.
Big Orange Screw: Everyone experiences it at some level. Luckily I will mostly be able to escape unscathed. You really, really need to be diligent in doing your homework and making sure your advisor knows what the hell they are talking about to avoid this though.
Parking: All other comments are not kidding. I commute and don't buy a parking pass because all that buys you is the right to look for parking. It's ridiculous.
Overall, like I said, it could be worse. I'm sure if I wanted to party all the time and be super cool I would be all like "this school is totally awesome!" but I'm here to get a degree.
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 09:55:36 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TN/UTK_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UTK for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TN/UTK_comments.html To anyone reading this review, keep in mind that I'm a reserved introvert who doesn't like to screw around with frats and sororities. I came from a small community college and that probably has a lot ... Mon, 08 Oct 2012 03:39:56 GMT StudentsReview 1307-89752 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1307-89752 1307 17 English Female Undergraduate Class 2014 1st Year Neutral To anyone reading this review, keep in mind that I'm a reserved introvert who doesn't like to screw around with frats and sororities. I came from a small community college and that probably has a lot to do with my perception of UT so far. Simply put, I didn't know how good I had it at my humble little community college.

The negatives first: the campus is gigantic, parts are unattractive and constantly undergoing construction, it's hilly, and parking for students is UNACCEPTABLE. Seriously, the university is here to SERVE the students, not the other way around, and they can't even provide adequate parking for us. The campus police LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to ticket anybody they can, so watch out for that. If you don't like to walk, you'll hate it here. I like the exercise, but some people might be turned off by that.

Many of the classes are huge and impersonal, which I hate. You feel like just a number at this school and if you don't have a social life on campus, forget about enjoying your time at UT. You've either got to have a lot of friends there, or be rooming on campus. That's probably true for most universities, however. The atmosphere is quite elite and clique-y. A lot of sorority girls in UT sweatshirts and yoga pants. I, for whatever reason, am subjected to extreme mean-mugging from these types of girls and can't quite figure out why. I don't dress like them, but I'm not too flashy or sloppy, either. Just jeans and a cute, casual top. Seriously, most of the guys are decent, but if you're a girl be prepared for cattiness here. These girls like to stare!

Many of the teachers are great, but like any school you get your share of pomposity and arrogance. I have three decent professors, but one is literally the most horrendous and bad-tempered dolt I've ever met in a school setting. I've met some ill-tempered staff members as well. They're individuals like anybody else, but they're not the friendliest or most helpful.

Good things: if you do live on campus and want to get involved in stuff, there are literally dozens of clubs and activities that should appeal to you. The school is right there off the strip, so on the weekend you have plenty of places at which to get blitzed. The school is one of the top-rated in the country, so you get the "prestige" of attending, too. And yes, if you're a football fan, you'll fit right in.

If you're a typical beer-chugging, yoga pant wearing, get- laid-as-much-as possible, football-loving, and spoiled rich kid whose parents can pay for them to live on campus or in the oh-so-lovely Woodland Condos, congrats. You'll love it here. If you're not any of those things, I suggest looking elsewhere. I'm disappointed.
Mon, 08 Oct 2012 03:39:56 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TN/UTK_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about UTK for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TN/UTK_comments.html I am from Knoxville, and always vowed to never go to UTK. I went to UTC my first two years of college and loved it, but hated how small it was. When I decided to transfer it was between MTSU and UTK, ... Tue, 11 Sep 2012 07:27:03 GMT StudentsReview 1307-89404 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1307-89404 1307 17 English Female Undergraduate Class 2013 1st Year Negative I am from Knoxville, and always vowed to never go to UTK. I went to UTC my first two years of college and loved it, but hated how small it was. When I decided to transfer it was between MTSU and UTK, I hate Murfreesboro and my family and friends wanted be in Knoxville, so I decided on UTK.
It was probably the worst decision I've ever made. One of the few things I did like about UTK was the campus. I thought it was gorgeous, and I really don't mind the hills at all. Now it is all under construction and makes walks to and from classes even more inconvenient.
The worst part about UTK is the people. I'm sorry, but THEY SUCK. And after coming from UTC where everyone is very artsy and different and marching to the beat of their own drum, but still totally accepting of others...this was a major shock for me. Just because I don't look like all the others girls in work out clothes, I get evil glances from every girl.
You would also think UTK would be reasonably better than UTC academic wise, but pretty much everything I am learning now at UTK, i already learned at UTC. The problem with UTK is they think they're better than everyone else. Students, faculty, everything about UT is pumping up big orange vol spirit, and the reality is this place is a shithole. I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE.
Tue, 11 Sep 2012 07:27:03 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TN/UTK_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UTK for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TN/UTK_comments.html I came from a smaller high school and was ecstatic about coming to UT Knoxville last fall. I can say within the first few weeks and coming back to campus to start my sophomore year, I am quite disappo... Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:51:32 GMT StudentsReview 1307-89074 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1307-89074 1307 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2015 1st Year Neutral I came from a smaller high school and was ecstatic about coming to UT Knoxville last fall. I can say within the first few weeks and coming back to campus to start my sophomore year, I am quite disappointed.

Dorm Life: I lived in the presidential courtyard my freshman year which was really convenient at the time. The gym/tennis courts were across the street (if you ever felt like working out - but there were smaller workout facilities in the dorm basements), and there was a grocery store/Subway/IHOP and cafeteria in the Presidential Court Building. After a while the food in PCB (the most common name for the cafeteria) got disgusting and definitely caused some weight gain. If all else failed, there was always the pizza bar and cereal. After last year I never want to eat Subway ever again. The price for food/toiletries in the market/grocery is a HUGE waste of money. ($7 for a box of cereal, $6 for a pint of Ben & Jerry's, ridiculous ) The quality of the dorms were mediocre, but they were much better than the community style dorms like Clement or Massey. They were pretty clean except we had a major roach/bedbug problem the first few weeks of school which was not pleasant. Also, some geniuses decide to throw random concerts in Presidential which last until the early morning hours and are a pain for those of us who actually want to get some sleep. During the first few weeks of school though it's a pretty popular place to snag some free stuff besides the pedestrian walkway!

Safety: I don't feel very safe at UT. I couldn't tell you how many times I received emails and texts last year and over the summer about random acts of violence. They ranged from a girl getting assaulted in broad daylight, to someone attacking people with baseball bats and airsoft guns (in a clown mask I might add) to someone getting robbed outside of the Hess dorm (literally right by the library and a well lit area) to someone getting assaulted in their community dorm shower at 6 am. One of UT's residence halls is in "The Fort" which is notorious for all sorts of shootings and attacks in the wee hours of the morning.

Campus: Let's be honest, UT (for the most part) does not have a gorgeous campus. It's very hilly and therefore walking to class is definitely somewhat of a challenge, especially if you're used to living in a flat area (hello calves!) When we left in May after exams they were starting construction, and now it's almost September and the campus looks like a wreck. They tore down a parking garage and the money wall (HUGE inconvenience - as if parking didn't suck anyways, and now we have to go off campus to access our bank) UT always seems to be under construction. Some of the buildings on campus are beautiful though! (Ayres Hall on "The Hill" and The new Haslam Business Building by the library) Other than that, most of UT's buildings are looking a bit rough. Might I also add, with the new construction they tore down the pedestrian bridge and stairs that led up to the hill - beware, as this is the most miserable workout getting up to a class that is on The Hill.

Academics: This was a huge adjustment for me - as I was so used to smaller class sizes. I feel like the quality of the professors are either hit or miss and really depends on the time and effort you put into the class and getting to know them. That being said - it's all about what you put in. If you're struggling, I wouldn't advise you to sit around and not do anything about it. You'd be so surprised at how much the professors are willing to help you - even in Gen. Ed. classes with 300 students. With that being said, not every professor I have encountered has been so accommodating. But it IS possible! I didn't find any of my general education classes to be very challenging at all. The library is always packed during exams and it's quite stunning to see the final exam room packed with students who didn't even bother to show up during the semester. Don't be one of those.

Social Life: Greek life here is pretty dominant - although maybe not as much as other SEC schools. It can be quite intimidating for some people as all of the Greeks seem to flock together with other Greeks. I would describe the campus as fratty. Girls typically wear Nike shorts with huge t-shirts/tanks and running shoes or chacos in the warmer weather. During the colder months it's leggings, boots, pullovers or sweaters. It's amazing to see every girl dressed the same. It's normal to see guys in khakis and Sperrys while going to class. Some people think this is weird but so many people dress like this that I am used to this. I don't play sports, so I don't know much about the intramural teams. It seems like the majority of activities on the weekend revolve around drinking and going out to clubs on the strip or some frat party. I've definitely seen and heard of hospital trips and witnessed a girl pass out in the lobby of her dorm. Be careful when it comes to this stuff, but I'm sure this happens on more campuses than UT obviously. Students for the most part are pretty friendly and the student body is somewhat diverse. I see all sorts of races here, but the majority of people seem to be from the white upper middle class family. Tons of students from Knoxville. It can be somewhat intimidating with so many students but for the most part they are pretty approachable. However, with that being said there are the select few who are pretty tight knit with their group of friends and who aren't as likely to branch out.

Knoxville: Honestly, I think Knoxville as a city is pretty decent but definitely lacks the charm of a big city. You can essentially see downtown on the edge of campus and that in itself is pretty small. Market Square is a cute little area filled with good food and cute little boutiques. West Towne is also a great shopping mall. Anything you could ever need can be found on Kingston Pike. I wish the city was a little bigger as I feel it's got a very suburban feel to it.

Parking: One of the biggest peeves I have about UT. For one, parking went up this year to $285 - which would be great except for there is virtually no parking anywhere. UT police ticket people like crazy. There is an abundance of staff parking and hardly any for students. It was a rare event to find any parking behind Humes/Reese/The Carricks, and very annoying and scary to have to go all the way to the parking garage and walk back to Presidential Court by yourself - especially returning to campus at night after a weekend at home or running errands with groceries.

The Big Orange Screw: UT is notorious for screwing students out of their money and classes, which keeps them here much longer than they should be. Noticing the recent renovations on campus makes me question where our money from the tuition increase goes (besides Jimmy Cheeks salary that is) The old gross Humanities and Social Sciences building got a trendy makeover with fuchsia accent walls and neon swivel desk chairs. It makes you wonder what on earth your money is being used for, as I can't say I've noticed any beneficial changes to the faculty/buildings/academics. Also, books are another huge issue. As a freshman probably the worst mistake I made was getting sucked into the textbook reservation. $492 later for one semester of books/access codes (the majority of which are UT "special editions" and can't be purchased anywhere else) I realized the books were useless as the majority of my professors didn't even use them. Of course at the end of the semester the bookstore will give you pennies back for them. It's probably more helpful to find the UT facebook group/talk amongst friends and sell your old books to other students that actually need them for a decent price.

Sports: I'm not really a huge sports fan so my opinion probably won't be of any value on this topic. The football team isn't fantastic but the games aren't for everyone. Depending on where you sit, it's basically an overcrowded stadium filled with drunk students everywhere. I will admit it is kind of cool to be surrounded by 100,000+ others all in orange and cheering so loudly, but that's about it. Campus gets annoyingly crowded on game days and I can only imagine how much chaos there will be with all of the construction being right by the football stadium. The basketball games are free and I'm sure more entertaining than the football games.

With all of this being said, I hope I was able to shed some light on some things about UT that one might not see from the campus tour, which is filled with tons of UT "traditions" that make UT "so special" Some people take these seriously, but I don't feel like UT is all about traditions. Yes there are orange tulips on the hill and yes there is an actual dog named Smokey that is our mascot, but honestly students aren't that crazy about them as the tour guides make them out to be. You see students "walking across the seal" almost daily.

Overall, UT is not an awful school. It's just not for everyone. It's a huge hilly campus filled with concrete and mediocre buildings. The student body does lack a bit in diversity but it is there. I wouldn't call the administration spectacular but there are some gems as far as professors and academic advisors go. The sports are there if you're into them but no one is forcing you to go. The undergraduate population is huge and you do often get the feeling of being just a number. I do wish I chose a smaller school with more of a focus on academics and preparing students for the real world.
Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:51:32 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TN/UTK_comments.html