StudentsReview - Rice University - Life at Rice Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html Life at Rice - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Rice for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html Academically speaking, Rice is fine. Despite the fact that the sciences get the majority of the funding (a SERIOUS flaw), I enjoy both of my majors..Political Science and Hispanic Studies. My main pro... Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:15:32 GMT StudentsReview 1337-163175 1337-163175 1337 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2016 3rd Year Neutral Academically speaking, Rice is fine. Despite the fact that the sciences get the majority of the funding (a SERIOUS flaw), I enjoy both of my majors..Political Science and Hispanic Studies. My main problem with Rice is the social scene. I am a sophomore transfer student. When I started at Rice, I was told that there was no room for me to live on campus. I got an off campus apartment and I was assured that my integration into campus would not be harmed. THIS IS NOT TRUE. People were extremely off put that I lived off campus...even though it was not my choice. I am lucky enough to have some friends from high school who attend Rice, so I had a small social network already built, but I am not close to anyone in my college. Furthermore, extra-curricular activities feel rather unimportant. I actually think the campus would benefit from Greek Life or eating clubs of some sort. It is very hard to meet people outside of your college. Finally, as a conservative student, I often find myself attacked by other students. I was completely aware that there would be a liberal bias because of it is a highly selective academic university...but sometimes I feel like my peers are hostile to my views. Just because I don't subscribe to the plague of liberalism, I am a bad, racist, elitist person in the mind of many of my peers.

Overall, I would say I am neutral to Rice. I love Houston and the academics (for the most part), but I think Rice could benefit socially.
Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:15:32 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about Rice for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html Coming to Rice was the best decision I ever made. The people are incredible, the residential college system is spectacular and the classes are great.... Wed, 01 Oct 2014 06:02:17 GMT StudentsReview 1337-139058 1337-139058 1337 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Female Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Positive Coming to Rice was the best decision I ever made. The people are incredible, the residential college system is spectacular and the classes are great. Wed, 01 Oct 2014 06:02:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about Rice for Language - French/Spanish/etc.http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html Demanding academics in a supportive social environment. Students are brilliant!... Tue, 13 May 2014 06:50:02 GMT StudentsReview 1337-108220 1337-108220 1337 22 Language - French/Spanish/etc. Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive Demanding academics in a supportive social environment. Students are brilliant! Tue, 13 May 2014 06:50:02 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Rice for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html I come from a suburban/rural region on the east coast and have a background that reflects my interests in almost all fields of study, specifically visual arts, bio/chem sciences, wildlife, & the socia... Wed, 12 Feb 2014 04:43:41 GMT StudentsReview 1337-101393 1337-101393 1337 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Neutral I come from a suburban/rural region on the east coast and have a background that reflects my interests in almost all fields of study, specifically visual arts, bio/chem sciences, wildlife, & the social sciences. I came originally intending to proceed with a major in their EEB department, only to change that a couple times while consistently maintaining a visual arts major track. I think that, personally, one should peel back the fluff that Rice adds to its successes & recognize that it is really just like any other private university except that it tells everyone, including its students, that it has been rated #1 for happiest students when in fact there are NUMEROUS cases of recurring mental health issues. It is easy to get left behind in the system; if you do not pursue care at a highly active rate then don't expect any follow-ups or useful advising when it comes to this aspect. Overall, the teaching faculty are 80% great, although of course all could use improvements, but they are definitely more attentive than the aloof prof stereotype conveys the opposite of. I found professors who genuinely cared about me and helped in any way possible within the arts department, but outside- not so much (and that's what you can expect from lecture classes whose office hours you neglect to use, like I did). As long as you approach them, they will help. But...
Capacity control is a huge problem here. More students every year are forced to move off campus, and departments neglect to adjust faculty/staff and course offerings to the growing yearly amt of students who attend Rice. There are plans in the works on expansion and renovation but everything seems to have a deadline of 3-5 years in the future.
When I applied to Rice, they were preparing for their Centennial Anniversary, which they made a huge deal of (although, as the stereotype details, Rice students remained generally apathetic to this), so they did a pretty great job of selling the school.. I think a lot of the kids in my class swooned over the high expectations they had and felt that they were eternally lucky to be here as opposed to any other school. So I think it's really important to bring your own air of reality when you are considering the school or else you will put aside things that will actually have a huge affect on your time here.
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 04:43:41 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about Rice for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE MISRIBLE IN MY LIFE. I absolutly Hate it here. I work my ass off and the administration is no help. all they care about is money and cut corners all the time. they advertise an ... Thu, 07 Mar 2013 10:00:02 GMT StudentsReview 1337-92441 1337-92441 1337 24 Mechanical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2013 4th Year Negative I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE MISRIBLE IN MY LIFE. I absolutly Hate it here. I work my ass off and the administration is no help. all they care about is money and cut corners all the time. they advertise an average class size of 15 and i have never been in a class under 50. NONE of the fucking computers on campus work cause they try top port all the binary to guess what?! save MONEY! the TA are all ass holes who cant speak english.the social scene is depressing and the college system is utterly broken. the one good thing i have to say is that i am almost out of this shit hole. I have contemplated suicide multiple times here and the administration does not help. I have attempted suicide once here, and obviously failed. This school will kill your soul. it does not prepare you for the real world and people here are so ignorant as to how the real world works they fall flat on thier faces after graduation. Given the opportunity i would go back in time and go to community college. Thu, 07 Mar 2013 10:00:02 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html