StudentsReview - Rice University - Life at RUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html Life at RU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about RU for Language - French/Spanish/etc.http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html Demanding academics in a supportive social environment. Students are brilliant!... Tue, 13 May 2014 05:50:02 GMT StudentsReview 1337-108220 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1337-108220 1337 22 Language - French/Spanish/etc. Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive Demanding academics in a supportive social environment. Students are brilliant! Tue, 13 May 2014 05:50:02 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about RU for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html I come from a suburban/rural region on the east coast and have a background that reflects my interests in almost all fields of study, specifically visual arts, bio/chem sciences, wildlife, & the socia... Wed, 12 Feb 2014 03:43:41 GMT StudentsReview 1337-101393 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1337-101393 1337 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Neutral I come from a suburban/rural region on the east coast and have a background that reflects my interests in almost all fields of study, specifically visual arts, bio/chem sciences, wildlife, & the social sciences. I came originally intending to proceed with a major in their EEB department, only to change that a couple times while consistently maintaining a visual arts major track. I think that, personally, one should peel back the fluff that Rice adds to its successes & recognize that it is really just like any other private university except that it tells everyone, including its students, that it has been rated #1 for happiest students when in fact there are NUMEROUS cases of recurring mental health issues. It is easy to get left behind in the system; if you do not pursue care at a highly active rate then don't expect any follow-ups or useful advising when it comes to this aspect. Overall, the teaching faculty are 80% great, although of course all could use improvements, but they are definitely more attentive than the aloof prof stereotype conveys the opposite of. I found professors who genuinely cared about me and helped in any way possible within the arts department, but outside- not so much (and that's what you can expect from lecture classes whose office hours you neglect to use, like I did). As long as you approach them, they will help. But...
Capacity control is a huge problem here. More students every year are forced to move off campus, and departments neglect to adjust faculty/staff and course offerings to the growing yearly amt of students who attend Rice. There are plans in the works on expansion and renovation but everything seems to have a deadline of 3-5 years in the future.
When I applied to Rice, they were preparing for their Centennial Anniversary, which they made a huge deal of (although, as the stereotype details, Rice students remained generally apathetic to this), so they did a pretty great job of selling the school.. I think a lot of the kids in my class swooned over the high expectations they had and felt that they were eternally lucky to be here as opposed to any other school. So I think it's really important to bring your own air of reality when you are considering the school or else you will put aside things that will actually have a huge affect on your time here.
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 03:43:41 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about RU for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE MISRIBLE IN MY LIFE. I absolutly Hate it here. I work my ass off and the administration is no help. all they care about is money and cut corners all the time. they advertise an ... Thu, 07 Mar 2013 09:00:02 GMT StudentsReview 1337-92441 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1337-92441 1337 24 Mechanical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2013 4th Year Negative I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE MISRIBLE IN MY LIFE. I absolutly Hate it here. I work my ass off and the administration is no help. all they care about is money and cut corners all the time. they advertise an average class size of 15 and i have never been in a class under 50. NONE of the fucking computers on campus work cause they try top port all the binary to guess what?! save MONEY! the TA are all ass holes who cant speak english.the social scene is depressing and the college system is utterly broken. the one good thing i have to say is that i am almost out of this shit hole. I have contemplated suicide multiple times here and the administration does not help. I have attempted suicide once here, and obviously failed. This school will kill your soul. it does not prepare you for the real world and people here are so ignorant as to how the real world works they fall flat on thier faces after graduation. Given the opportunity i would go back in time and go to community college. Thu, 07 Mar 2013 09:00:02 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about RU for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html Most carefree four years of my life. I loved everything about Rice University. This is the school where what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. I was active in my college (Jones Colleg... Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:09:11 GMT StudentsReview 1337-88422 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1337-88422 1337 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Male Undergraduate Class 2001 4th Year Positive Most carefree four years of my life. I loved everything about Rice University. This is the school where what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. I was active in my college (Jones College - JIBA!!!) and worked in the Student Center so I got to meet a lot of people in my college and in other colleges. There are lots of opportunities to get involved with clubs, intramurals, campus work opportunities, and social events on campus.

The academics are definitely rigorous but manageable if you budget your time well, but I was a history major and can't speak for science and engineering folks. I graduated top of my class in high school and got a respectable 3.7 GPA in my four years at Rice. There are tons and tons of very smart people on this campus, and I actually felt a lot less pressure than I did in high school, probably because I knew I couldn't be the best. There were times I could have studied harder, but looking back, I have absolutely no regrets. I still keep on touch with my history professor who inspired me in his teaching and mentoring abilities.

Rice isn't for everyone. The average Rice student is very intelligent, slightly socially awkward, friendly, open-minded, and especially a bit quirky. It's not the place to go if you are a party animal or a total study nerd. Remember, in my time, we would say, "Here at Rice, we work hard and play harder." I am proud that Rice is consistently at the top when it come to happiest students and the quality of life. It is the closest I have been to utopia.
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:09:11 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about RU for Sociologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html Rice is pretty much like heaven. I love this school and everything about it. I came from a high school where people looked down on you if you were smart or cared about anything beyond our little town.... Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:07:47 GMT StudentsReview 1337-83878 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1337-83878 1337 50 Sociology Female Undergraduate Class 2013 3rd Year Positive Rice is pretty much like heaven. I love this school and everything about it. I came from a high school where people looked down on you if you were smart or cared about anything beyond our little town. Rice is the greatest experience I could've ever asked for, and every day I'm glad I chose it.

Everyone here is incredibly friendly and engaged. People are smart, inspired, and passionate about the world around them. Everyone is pretty much friends with everyone - people hang out with certain people more than others, but you can always sit at a new table or reach out to a new friend group. There's not really "popularity" - everyone is equally well-liked. People don't place any emphasis on material things (cars, clothes, etc.) which is such a relief. I only wish I could stay here for more than four years, because I know the real world will be much more superficial and cliquey.

Rice inspires students to be leaders and take control of their own governance. The residential colleges are like little families, completely student-run. I've grown so much as a leader and as a person since I've been here. Rice offers you exposure to amazing role models (upperclassmen, professors, mentors) and the tools to push yourself far beyond what you thought you were previously capable of. There are resources and opportunities EVERYWHERE and I have never felt so inspired anywhere else in my life.

The coursework itself is rigorous but doable. Everyone is smart and working hard, so campus life naturally follows the rhythm of exam schedules and such. People work hard but also relax - there are always parties, events, etc. going on throughout the weekend. I've never felt bored here. I play a lot of intramural sports, plus I'm involved in several campuswide community service organizations. I fell in love with my major during the fall of my freshman year, and now plan to go to grad school and get a PhD in it. The department is amazing and the professors are way more focused on teaching than on their own research. They've gone out of their way to talk to me about everything from academic plans to life goals/hopes/dreams.

Rice is an amazing place. It's hard to put it into words, exactly, but I'll try my best...Rice is a place where you will be loved and accepted unconditionally, for exactly who you are when you arrive. Your friends, RAs, Masters, and professors will help you in your tough times and share your joy throughout the good times. They will inspire you to be a better person and you will grow tremendously throughout your time here. I cannot imagine being anywhere else and when I have children, I will certainly encourage them to be Owls as well!
Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:07:47 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/RU_comments.html