StudentsReview - Trinity University - Life at Trinity Copyright 2021 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/TUS_comments.html Life at Trinity - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Trinity for Language - French/Spanish/etc.http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/TUS_comments.html The campus culture is what makes this place truly special--the student body is friendly, intelligent, quirky, and accepting. There is always something going on on campus. Academically speaking, the co... Fri, 08 Jan 2016 02:55:39 GMT StudentsReview 1365-172322 1365-172322 1365 22 Language - French/Spanish/etc. Female Undergraduate Class 2015 4th Year Neutral The campus culture is what makes this place truly special--the student body is friendly, intelligent, quirky, and accepting. There is always something going on on campus. Academically speaking, the coursework was very challenging and it always seemed like all of my heavy assignments in classes were due one after the other.You MUST keep up with assignments and study when you can if you want to do well. Many students follow the "work hard, play hard" motto here. If you are looking for a place with a strong sense of community that is going to challenge you and help you to grow in countless ways, Trinity is for you. Fri, 08 Jan 2016 02:55:39 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/TUS_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Trinity for Undecidedhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/TUS_comments.html Trinity University is highly overrated. They boast small class sizes and great faculty however a majority of my professors were very poor. Professors are not the greatest and I experienced zero growth... Tue, 19 May 2015 03:28:45 GMT StudentsReview 1365-161671 1365-161671 1365 52 Undecided Male Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Neutral Trinity University is highly overrated. They boast small class sizes and great faculty however a majority of my professors were very poor. Professors are not the greatest and I experienced zero growth as a student. I feel like a majority of professors are not effective at teaching material. Very overrated. Tue, 19 May 2015 03:28:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/TUS_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about Trinity for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/TUS_comments.html Academics: I am writing this review to ensure prospective students know what they are getting into, as I did not. That being said, Trinity's biggest asset is undoubtedly academic rigor and quality of ... Fri, 27 Mar 2015 05:54:11 GMT StudentsReview 1365-158857 1365-158857 1365 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Advice Academics: I am writing this review to ensure prospective students know what they are getting into, as I did not. That being said, Trinity's biggest asset is undoubtedly academic rigor and quality of the faculty. The school has strong, challenging academics, available and (some) kind & helpful professors. There are some awful, boring professors as well, but these are pretty easy to weed out through ratemyprof. The academics are rigorous but doable if you are willing to work hard. It is not easy; however, to pull out an A here, let me tell you. Even in common curriculum classes, it is very, very difficult to get an A without putting in hours upon hours of work, and of course having some natural intelligence.

Social: Let's get this straight. If you consider yourself "normal" (especially if you're a girl), are politically conservative, Christian and you're coming to Trinity and NOT part of an athletic team, you're probably going to hate it. (normal=intelligent, social, friendly, put effort into your appearance, not bizarre, not into greek mythology, etc.) The athletes run this school and consider themselves above the rest of the student body. This sentiment is almost justified though, because the rest of the student body is so painfully bizarre and socially inept. This are where the "weird" kids in HS go to college (aside from the athletic teams). If you're one of those "geek and proud of it" kids, by all means, go to Trinity as you will fit right in.

Financial: Trinity is expensive, so the school draws you in with a promise of a hefty scholarship all 4 years. This is where the fine print comes in. If you are on a scholarship (merit or need based) and are unable to keep your GPA 3.5+ then there goes your scholie $. The school knows that not enough students would enroll if they did not give out so much merit aid to prospective freshmen. Ask anybody why they chose Trinity, and if they are not an athlete I can guarantee you they will say "the scholarship money." I should have picked up on this red flag, but I ignored it. Problem is, by year number two this money is out the window for the average student, since Trinity makes it so difficult to maintain a high GPA.

Atmosphere: L I B E R A L. This school might as well be in the middle of South Central. It's so ironic how this school was founded as a Presbyterian one, because there is little to none of that on campus today. The Christian organizations that do exist tend to be run by bigots and judgmental, narrow-minded students with almost 0 life experience whatsoever. Professors implement their political (liberal) ideologies into course work to the point where it is sometimes overwhelming. I realize most college campuses are liberal these days, but this campus does NOT feel like it is anywhere near South TX, I can assure you. Oh also, if the campus was not liberal enough, cigarette smoking is prevalent and you can bet that you'll smell it on your way to and from class daily, depending the routes you take. I am also unsure where the "spoiled white kid" stereotype comes from, because it does not seem to be based on fact. The school is incredibly ethnically diverse. Secondly, most of the students (again, that are NOT athletes) come from lower middle class families. People are NOT rich here. Maybe 5% of the student body has a luxury car and can afford to eat off campus/buy food often. I think that stereotype vanished as soon as the school unaffiliated with the Presbyterian church. Just a guess.

Dorms: The dorms are big, sure. What people do not take into consideration when coming here, is that THREE YEARS on campus is a long time. Dorms are loud. Dorms smell. Dorms are an altogether unpleasant experience unless you're incredibly social, low maintenance, loud, and do not mind crappy wifi or cold showers. Living with a roommate in the same ROOM (completely diff. from an apt. rooommate) for 3 years sounds unbearable to me, which is one of the reasons I am transferring.

Random info:

*There are some really unintelligent people that get in here and it blows my mind. However, for every idiot here- there is another brilliant, hardworking student that is set for a bright future. There is no "typical Trinity student," as student characteristics are all across the board.

*The Dean of students is an awesome guy (I have met with him personally multiple times and he really does want the best for students). He is incredibly welcoming and interested in the well being of each individual.

*Nobody here cares about their appearance or hygiene. If you want "hot girls," you sure as he|| are not going to get that here.

*Campus buildings are (for the most part) nice and clean. I have never had issues with bugs or dirty areas in public buildings.

*Dorms are loud af and rather unpleasant during the weekends (and everyday) if you're not into the party/alcoholic lifestyle

*The surrounding area has a lot to offer. If you can afford a car & off campus meals, I would absolutely recommend exploring the area as there are some great local restaurants/bakeries/stores.

*beware of the random roommate matching your first year. I know a lot of people that have had awful experiences (me included) with either their roommate or suite mates. I lived with a girl who had absolutely zero concept of person hygiene. ZERO. It was disgusting.

TU is awesome if:
1. You're a student athlete set for four years of built-in, mostly normal friends
2. You're liberal and love to smoke cigarettes on a daily basis with zero concern of how you're impact anyone else's atmosphere
3. You're basing your college choice solely off of how academically rigorous a school is and how much professor attention you will receive.
4. You're bizarre and enjoy reading and discussing greek mythology or dressing up as pirates in your spare time.
5. You love alcohol and weed.
6. The idea of living in a noisy, unpleasant, smelly building for the next three years sounds ideal to you.
Fri, 27 Mar 2015 05:54:11 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/TUS_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about Trinity for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/TUS_comments.html After spending my entire undergraduate career at Trinity (and graduating with honors this past May), I still fail to see the value of this university. I'll admit that I enjoyed the tight knit atmosphe... Tue, 26 Aug 2014 06:20:51 GMT StudentsReview 1365-121787 1365-121787 1365 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Negative After spending my entire undergraduate career at Trinity (and graduating with honors this past May), I still fail to see the value of this university. I'll admit that I enjoyed the tight knit atmosphere, unlike some of the other reviewers here, but I also agree that there are probably far better schools in terms of overall education and career preparedness. Those two important factors aside, I also wish I could have gotten more of the "real college experience" than what was offered here. Trinity is not the kind of school you go to if you want the rabid "rah-rah" school spirit seen at national college football games, or if you want the benefits/amenities of attending a world renowned research university, for that matter. Students wishing to enjoy those two perks would be better off looking at UT or A&M, especially if you'd like to take advantage of nationwide networking opportunities. Circling back to my initial point about value...the monetary value was probably the biggest hinderance for me, and will most likely continue to be a hindrance for me well into the future. Again, those looking for better monetary value might also favor the UT or A&M systems. Trinity was real, it was fun, it just wasn't real fun. Tue, 26 Aug 2014 06:20:51 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/TUS_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Trinity for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/TUS_comments.html I was urged by a friend to leave a review here. Sadly, I feel compelled to add my voice to the resounding choir of negative reviews. I agree with previous posters that my experience at Trinity Univets... Wed, 08 Jan 2014 03:45:35 GMT StudentsReview 1365-99839 1365-99839 1365 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Negative I was urged by a friend to leave a review here. Sadly, I feel compelled to add my voice to the resounding choir of negative reviews. I agree with previous posters that my experience at Trinity Univetsity was underwhelming and ultimately wasn't worth the time, effort, and money I poured into my undergraduate years there.

Trinity is a small school. Its always had a very small alumni network with very little clout. Don't expect the name to carry you very far in town, let alone outside San Antonio. As other reviewers here have mentioned, companies don't recruit at Trinity the same way they would at Tier 1 flagship universities. I, too, have been hindered in my search for stable work. I am originally from Oklahoma and couldn't return home because no company there would even grant me an interview. I have also encountered issues when applying to positions in Houston and Austin. The city of San Antonio is run by Saint Mary's and U.T.S.A. graduates. A&M and U.T. students also flock here in droves and probably recieve preferential treatment. Graduates from these schools are more likely to find work than the average Trinity graduate. Most of the students from my graduating class were forced to enroll in graduate school just to postpone their loans. This was their only option after failing to find work. I was able to avoid this fate, thank The Lord. Trinity touts this as one of their biggest selling points, yet they fail to mention that this panic-induced graduate school application frenzy is not by choice.

The classes I took were marginally challenging, but my core classes failed the delve any deeper than remedial material. I've always excelled academically, but I was somewhat disappointed that Trinity didn't require me to exude the type of effort I had anticipated. As long as I read and showed up for class, I did well. I'm assuming that's the case with any college, though. I was, however, VERY impressed with the faculty. Most of my professors held the highest degree in their fields and were very knowledgable. Their classes simply weren't very engaging and stifled creative thinking due to their restrictive abd conservative atmospheres.

As far as the social scene goes, I remember the majority of the school being comprised of Greek life drones (you might recall Trinity made national news a few years ago for hazing and outrageous fraternity parties). It's a very cliquish, high-school-type environment. To me, it was indicative of how blissfully and utterly unprepared my classmates were for the real world. I didn't have any issues with the affluent students, but they did seem to make up the majority. The student body was predominantly white and upper class. We had a few foreign students (my roommate was from Thailand), but you'll be hard-pressed to find much diversity.

Finally, there's the price. I can't emphasize enough how inexplicably high the tuition was. I was constantly charged fees for ridiculous things that seemed to drastically increase every year. I owe more than I'd care to disclose. Thankfully, I was fortunate enough to find work at a large local employer, but the closed fist of reality hit me hard when I learned my pay was equal to my public school counterparts. I didn't expect to enter the wirkforce and break the bank right away, but I did at Leary expect to be compensated based on my academic credentials. You're beginning to see just how silly and "over-hyped" this all really is, don't you?

I defiantly agree that you can find better and smarter college options elsewhere. You could easily attend one of Texas' many pretentious institutions and gain far more out of your college years and beyond. I regret not going that route.
Wed, 08 Jan 2014 03:45:35 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/TUS_comments.html