StudentsReview - The University of Houston - Life at UHouston Copyright 2018 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/UH_comments.html Life at UHouston - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UHouston for Architecturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/UH_comments.html As an architecture major, I dropped out of the program because I got a definite zero on a project without any explanation. My professor refused to look into my grade again. That's Architecture for you... Mon, 18 Dec 2017 11:55:46 GMT StudentsReview 1367-182266 1367-182266 1367 3 Architecture Male Undergraduate Class 1920 2nd Year Negative As an architecture major, I dropped out of the program because I got a definite zero on a project without any explanation. My professor refused to look into my grade again. That's Architecture for you and you'll be dealing with biased professors. Architecture is a hard major so be prepared to be excessive to do well. Mon, 18 Dec 2017 11:55:46 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/UH_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UHouston for Undecidedhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/UH_comments.html This university pretty much demonstrates how broken our education system is. As someone with a learning and mental disability, I've been constantly facing an obstacle of all these absurd rules and pol... Tue, 18 Jul 2017 10:06:11 GMT StudentsReview 1367-180560 1367-180560 1367 52 Undecided Male Undergraduate Class 2019 3rd Year Negative This university pretty much demonstrates how broken our education system is. As someone with a learning and mental disability, I've been constantly facing an obstacle of all these absurd rules and policies imposed by this university. Now I have been suspended and there is actually no way to appeal a suspension in this university. Pretty much every school I've searched for actually allows students the opportunity to appeal their suspension... Yet UH cannot do the same and I even went as far as contacting the President's Office to appeal my suspension and to suggest that they give students the opportunity to appeal their suspensions like every other school. They would not budge. What was even much more disheartening was that President Khator came to our 600-person class on the first week of school and told us that:
- we shouldn't have to "be trapped in bureaucracy"
- most of the people at UH don't graduate on time and she wanted to change it, then proceeded to say that we shouldn't have to waste time and money following everything just to graduate
- to contact office or the Academic Affairs should we encounter an obstacle that could hinder us from graduating on time

I contact her office, the Academic Affairs, and everyone I could think of whenever I faced an obstacle, it was as everything the President said came out of be bogus. I expected to be a year away from graduating, but now I will not be able to graduate on time. I won't even graduate for two more years now due to the fact that some of the courses I still need to take are only taught once per school year. Unbelievable.
Tue, 18 Jul 2017 10:06:11 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/UH_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about UHouston for Chemical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/UH_comments.html The Chemical Engineering Department is broken. They have more students advancing through the program than desired. There is a hiring freeze in place so they can't add more professors to teach more cl... Mon, 15 May 2017 12:38:05 GMT StudentsReview 1367-179815 1367-179815 1367 8 Chemical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2019 4th Year Negative The Chemical Engineering Department is broken. They have more students advancing through the program than desired. There is a hiring freeze in place so they can't add more professors to teach more classes. The solution is to fail out as many students as possible so the class size remains below 60. While it's normal to have a "weed-out" class or two in Chemical Engineering programs in order to limit the class size, UH Chem Engineering has 1-2 "weed-out" classes EVERY SEMESTER along the degree program. The professors are very open about this policy and adjust the test difficulty and grade curves to achieve the the desired failure rate.

To make matters worse, almost all of the key Chem Eng courses are only offered once per year. So if you make a D in a Chem E class, it will set you back an entire year since the class is not offered the next semester.

I would strongly recommend you select another university for Chemical Engineering. My father graduated from the University of Texas in Chem Eng. They had one major weed-out class in the program, Thermodynamics. He made a D in Thermo and had to take it again. However, he was able to do that the next semester and still managed to graduate on time by taking some of the base classes during the summer.
Mon, 15 May 2017 12:38:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/UH_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about UHouston for Chemical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/UH_comments.html I do not like the faculty at this university. Specially chem e department. Profs are not easy to approach. Some profs DO NOT even respond to emails, sometimes are not even in their office during offic... Sat, 13 May 2017 03:13:22 GMT StudentsReview 1367-179798 1367-179798 1367 8 Chemical Engineering Female Undergraduate Class 2019 2nd Year Advice I do not like the faculty at this university. Specially chem e department. Profs are not easy to approach. Some profs DO NOT even respond to emails, sometimes are not even in their office during office hours. No clear cut response what so ever. It is true that faculty does not speak english as their first lang. this creates confusion. classes are not exciting and not interactive. I tried really hard to enjoy it here and study my butt off. I feel more depressed now because of poor interaction with faculty and hardly any help from Chem E profs. Even the dean (Dr. Flescher)of chem e department does not give a damn about how you are doing in class, if the professor is teaching well. He once told me that,"Its not profs fault that more than 50% of the students in his class are failing. Students have to know how to study for the class." We do not have enough profs per subject. hardly any chem e class has an optin of profs to choose from. They all have bad reviews from previous class students. Sat, 13 May 2017 03:13:22 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/TX/UH_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UHouston for Chemical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/TX/UH_comments.html Over my three years of being at UH, I've lived on campus (both in dorms and the apartment housing) and I've also commuted from my home, which gives me a broad list of why no one should go to this scho... Sat, 25 Feb 2017 02:29:21 GMT StudentsReview 1367-179015 1367-179015 1367 8 Chemical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2018 3rd Year Negative Over my three years of being at UH, I've lived on campus (both in dorms and the apartment housing) and I've also commuted from my home, which gives me a broad list of why no one should go to this school for Chemical Engineering.

First, most of the professors are absolute jerks, I had a professor who would have students stand in a single line, ask for your name, and flip your test over to see your grade before passing it to you. When he looked at my grade he laughed uncontrollably before handing it to me because I did so bad.

Cheating is absolutely rampant, sites such as Chegg, Koofers, and CourseHero tend to have all the course materials for a given class you're in, and also old exams with solutions, which makes it unfair for people who don't have a couple hundred dollars to throw away.

Parking is also abysmal, don't expect parking from M-F in the outside lots after 9 am, if you want guaranteed parking even on football days, you'll have to pay the extra $600 for the welcome garage parking, on top of the rising tuition rates (paid $5500 this semester for 15 hours).

Advising is also incompetent, along with financial aid which all want your money. I was a gullible fool who thought my adviser would help me; I went in because I was emailed saying that it was mandatory for people in UH in 4 to see their advisers but she didn't even think people would show up. I only went to ask about that, but after seeing what classes I took she seemed to believe that I had no idea how to make my own schedule and proceeded to spend an hour and a half making me a schedule and telling me I wouldn't graduate until 2021 (came here in 2014). Advisers and the like are incapable of thinking of students as anything more than dollar signs and ID numbers.

For those who don't want to read all of this:
1.) Incompetent professors