StudentsReview - Christopher Newport University - Life at CNU Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html Life at CNU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about CNU for Sociologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html My review of CNU This review is aimed at highlighting the most attractive and unattractive aspects of CNU as an institution from my point of view as both a student and a young adult. First, I wo... Mon, 04 May 2015 10:00:40 GMT StudentsReview 1398-160993 1398-160993 1398 50 Sociology Male Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Negative My review of CNU

First, I would like to explain who I am as a person, because some people truly love CNU and I am frankly not one of those people.

I am currently a sophmore at CNU and came from a high school in northern virginia (as most student here did) that had a graduating class about as large as my class here at CNU. I chose to come to CNU for two reasons, 1) I couldn't afford out of state tuition at ECU, and 2) I didn't want to dissapoint my parents by attending Radford (haha). My ideal college would have been one that was larger (like JMU or Tech), but nevertheless I came to CNU with an open mind despite some harsh criticism from friends back home. Also, I consider myself to be very intelligent, however I lacked motivation and work ethic in highschool which is why I wasn't able to get into JMU or Tech.

Students at CNU

Let me say first off that I've met some great people here. People that I have become friends with that will last the rest of my life. However, that being said, there are a majority of others who I just don't fuck with. Students here are either very religious, socially awkward, boring, or some combination of the three. My hall freshman year was filled with some of the most unappealing people to be around socially that you could imagine. The kind of people who would sit in their rooms on a Friday night and watch twilight kind of people (sadly guys and girls). The kind of people who would unmistakably judge you for walking back through the halls looking high/drunk on a weekend or tell you that they "used to drink in highschool" kind of people.

Housing

Housing is possibly the worst part about CNU. I don't care how "nice" the dorms are compared to other schools. The bottom line is that they're DORMS.? And if you don't know already, CNU has a mandatory 3 year on campus requirement which is absurd. While students at other schools are getting apartments or houses with friends their sophmore year, students at CNU are frantically trying to sign up for their spot in an on campus dorm room. What if you don't sign up in time? Tough luck, you're getting randomly placed in a room next year. Also, given that CNU is a dry campus, if you are an occasional drinker like me you are bound to get caught at some point by the RA'S. (HALL WALKS AT 9, 10, AND 12 EVERY NIGHT) so get used to that. Also, get used to waking up in the morning to leaf blowers outside your window at 730, or dump trucks slamming open the dumpsters because I am telling you, that shit becomes life.

Education

Don't get me wrong, the education is good here. CNU gives you every opportunity to succeed academically. The classes you the are mostly 30 person classes. I personally prefer larger, lecture type classes but that's a preference. Also, there is an attendance policy so you can't skip even if the class comes easy to you and don't need to be there every time. (Sucks)

Social Life

join Greek life, plain and simple. There is absolutely no party scene outside of Greek organizations. But don't get too excited, CNU just implimented a new rule that says no house (east campus housing, basically apartments for upperclassmen that is still considered on campus) can have all members of the same greek organization. They must have at least one other student living in the house that is apart of another Greek organization. (In other words, you have to share a house with another fraternity.) Their reasoning? They claim it supports "Greek love", whatever that is.

The bottom line is CNU feels like a day care center for socially awkward and introverted young adults. If you are a normal student looking for a college experience, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, attend CNU.
Mon, 04 May 2015 10:00:40 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about CNU for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html No diversity on campus, not much to learn from peers because they have little life experience, professors are very good though luckily. If you're looking for a college experience beyond book learning ... Wed, 28 Jan 2015 03:42:17 GMT StudentsReview 1398-156850 1398-156850 1398 17 English Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Advice No diversity on campus, not much to learn from peers because they have little life experience, professors are very good though luckily. If you're looking for a college experience beyond book learning and expect to learn from your classmates, too, then don't go here. It's just a bunch of rich white kids barely old enough to drink. Wed, 28 Jan 2015 03:42:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CNU for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html CNU is a OK the only reason I decided to attend the school was because of money. I originally wanted to get away from the Hampton/Newport news area but overtime i started to like it. the Cafe is okay ... Mon, 12 Jan 2015 10:10:05 GMT StudentsReview 1398-156323 1398-156323 1398 54 Communications Female Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Neutral CNU is a OK the only reason I decided to attend the school was because of money. I originally wanted to get away from the Hampton/Newport news area but overtime i started to like it. the Cafe is okay i mean its better than high school but there is a chick-fil-A and all that good stuff on campus not to mention the tropical smoothie on campus to A.K.A where most of my spending money goes to. when it comes to dorms quality THEY ARE AMAZING i live in the newest dorm on campus but almost all of the resident halls are really really nice. Area wise well I have lived in Hampton for about 10 years (The city that borders Newport news) it's really boring and nothing much to do this area really is more of a summer time destination if you planning on attending here and you don't have a car your out of luck the area is more car dependent yes we do have public transportation and you can take it places like Williamsburg (Busch gardens/ Water country U.S.A and places like Virginia beach). There is really nothing in Newport news its self but a hookah bar or everyone goes up the street and hangs out at cookout. Campus events are pretty cool as well there not that many parties go on on Campus being that its a dry campus and most parties that go on wind up getting busted which sucks a little bit. The professors are really patient with you when i need help they are there to help and really ambitious with the students. I have a Learning disability and the professors work with me on that as well. Now if you wanting extra money there a lot of small jobs near CNU. Some of the Bad thing about CNU like i said there is not much entertainment here besides Virginia Beach or Norfolk really. The students especially from Northern Virginia walk around like they the somebody and got a stick up they ass thinking they the shit. and that is basically it Mon, 12 Jan 2015 10:10:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CNU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html The campus is nice and that is about the extent of it. The people walk around like they are at UVA. The students are self centered and snooty. The food SUCKS. The surrounding area is boring and violen... Mon, 25 Aug 2014 05:08:50 GMT StudentsReview 1398-121699 1398-121699 1398 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Neutral The campus is nice and that is about the extent of it. The people walk around like they are at UVA. The students are self centered and snooty. The food SUCKS. The surrounding area is boring and violent. Some people love this school (not sure how) it was for sure not the school for me. I felt like I was at one big high school. The partys are boring and get busted almost every time. Mon, 25 Aug 2014 05:08:50 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about CNU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html Some students love CNU and others do not. It is like that with every college. For me, I do not blindly love CNU. I question myself coming here, and that's okay! CNU is not for everyone. Students: ... Wed, 14 May 2014 09:07:26 GMT StudentsReview 1398-108320 1398-108320 1398 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Advice Some students love CNU and others do not. It is like that with every college. For me, I do not blindly love CNU. I question myself coming here, and that's okay! CNU is not for everyone.

Students: The students are what have made me dislike the University. Some are awesome friends, and some are entitled assholes from NOVA that act like they are the center of the universe. I have almost transferred multiple times because people act like immature high schoolers. There is so much drama because words gets around FAST on campus. Gossip spreads like wildfire. Your reputation can be decimated because of one mistake you made as a freshman (of course you can make your reputation better, but people are so unforgiving and unforgetting). A lot of people, particularly PLP, have sticks up their butts. I really wanted to go to a diverse college, but I chose CNU because it seemed top notch academics. I regret over looking the obvious fact that CNU has no diversity and is small (in mind and size). Listen to what your gut is telling you in your college selection process- if you want diversity and a vibrant place where you can meet a lot of new people, then CNU is not your place. It is small and not laid back.

Size: The average class size is 19, but this leads to problems in registration. If you are a regular student like me that is not an athlete, honors student, or in PLP, then registration never goes your way! Yes, you can override in some cases, but you won't always get everything you need or when you need it. I also dislike that there are only about 5,000 students. I thought I would like a smaller college, but I do not! I find myself asking, is this really all there is here? At the end of the day I want more opportunities, more people, better clubs, a bigger campus, and a better experience.

Campus Involvement: I tried to get really involved in campus, because having roots at CNU is what makes it fun. If you don't get involved then you will hate it- that goes for any college. CNU has hundreds of student orgs- some are good and others not very. I am going to be a club president this fall. I have to do a lot of work to make the club better. Honestly, if I did not have this position I would transfer out. Also, over a quarter of the school is involved in Greek life. We do have good Greek life. A sorority is colonizing this fall and I am also looking forward to that. I did formal recruitment this past January, but was crushed in the process, so go into it without having your heart set on a particular sorority. Overall, you have to find your favorite sport, club, or other activities to have roots, or reasons to be at CNU. Also, you will meet new friends through trying new activities. My closest friends were made from trying a new sport.

Academics: Classes can be challenging, but are usually not over whelming. Check the ratings of professors on Rate My Professor. Take electives that will look good for your professional development, as well as fun classes that you are really interested in taking. I am disappointed that CNU doesn't offer more majors and minors, especially an Education major and minor (for those that don't want to do the 5 year MAT). The chemistry, math, and physics classes are VERY hard and I have to repeat a chem course for my major. I switched from the BS in Bio to the BA, because I struggled too much with those math-based courses. CNU has really great Pre-Med, Biology, and Business Schools. It also has ROTC, PLP, and Honors programs. Overall, you have to earn your grades in most courses. This is college and you are expected to work. I do love the professors here! Not all are five star, but most of them do their job and care about you. I left some of my classes this past semester feeling so inspired by what I was learning! That is why you go to college in the first place.

Parties: are a double edged sword. At CNU, there are parties, but not every weekend and can easily get busted. The pig are EVERYWHERE on campus and patroling nearby neighborhoods. You HAVE to know people- it is all about connections. Everyone is a social drinker. If you like to drink to get messed up, don't go to CNU because everyone will judge you hard core. Even the times you accidently drink to much or it is not your fault, you still are judged hard core. Also, some frats are full of asses, so watch out. All in all, the party scene can be fun sometimes, but you can't act even remotely "crazy" or everyone thinks you are a bad person. Behavior such as having a good time is frowned upon. Things that no one would even notice at a large school party are considered abnormal and crazy at CNU parties. If you are going to be a big partier, don't come here. If you want to be just a social/casual drinker, then you will be fine, but if you appreciate alcohol or drink weekly then don't come. As a freshman who made some mistakes along the way, people were so judgemental of me and my choices. That is what I hate. If we were at another state school, no one would have even cared or notice. But at CNU, everything you do or say gets around to everyone else. That is what I hate.

Campus: Yes, CNU is very pretty! The dorms are like palaces. However, don't let this be one of the main reasons you pick the school. Also, if you are not in PLP, honors, or an athlete, then you will be screwed over by housing at some point, if not every year.

Reflection: There are pros and cons to coming here. The pros are that CNU has a growing reputation that will become prestigious. We have some good programs, a beautiful campus, and great dorms. However, those things should NOT be why you pick a college! Pick a college based on the student body and it's compatibility with your values. Pick a college based on the academic and social opportunities. Overall, I am staying at least another semester at CNU before I give up on it. You have to allow yourself time to adjust. However, looking back I kick myself for not picking a different place. Paul Trible can inspire like no other- he knows how to draw you in for the kill. I would have gone to Coastal Carolina (for Marine Science) or GMU or UNC. I need a more diverse and a less snobby student body, a bigger campus with more opportunities. I picked CNU out of an obligatory feeling- I felt it was the way to go at the time, but I have changed a lot in college and so have my interests. I wish I had chosen a place where I could now explore and develop those new interests. I wish I had not put so much concern on the school's reputation and just picked were my heart really felt right. I also realize that I like the School its self (for the most part they are helpful and accommodating with registration, housing, ect), but I do not the actual students. Your friends and peers are what makes college a fun place that is really worth attending, so if you don't have that, you really have nothing on a campus. The president can suck you into choosing CNU, orientation could blow you away, but at the end of the day there is something missing from CNU: fulfilling times and open minds.
Wed, 14 May 2014 09:07:26 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html