StudentsReview - Christopher Newport University - Life at CNU Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html Life at CNU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about CNU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html I like it here a lot. Housing screws up from Tim to time, but when you get it, it's great. Wish it wasn't a dry campus. Kind of stupid if you ask me. Classes have been great for the most part. I've on... Thu, 20 Aug 2015 11:21:03 GMT StudentsReview 1398-169848 1398-169848 1398 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Positive I like it here a lot. Housing screws up from Tim to time, but when you get it, it's great. Wish it wasn't a dry campus. Kind of stupid if you ask me. Classes have been great for the most part. I've only had a couple profs that I thought sucked. I'm glad I came here. I wanted a small school that provided a great education and that's what I got Thu, 20 Aug 2015 11:21:03 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about CNU for Sociologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html My review of CNU This review is aimed at highlighting the most attractive and unattractive aspects of CNU as an institution from my point of view as both a student and a young adult. First, I wo... Mon, 04 May 2015 10:00:40 GMT StudentsReview 1398-160993 1398-160993 1398 50 Sociology Male Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Negative My review of CNU

First, I would like to explain who I am as a person, because some people truly love CNU and I am frankly not one of those people.

I am currently a sophmore at CNU and came from a high school in northern virginia (as most student here did) that had a graduating class about as large as my class here at CNU. I chose to come to CNU for two reasons, 1) I couldn't afford out of state tuition at ECU, and 2) I didn't want to dissapoint my parents by attending Radford (haha). My ideal college would have been one that was larger (like JMU or Tech), but nevertheless I came to CNU with an open mind despite some harsh criticism from friends back home. Also, I consider myself to be very intelligent, however I lacked motivation and work ethic in highschool which is why I wasn't able to get into JMU or Tech.

Students at CNU

Let me say first off that I've met some great people here. People that I have become friends with that will last the rest of my life. However, that being said, there are a majority of others who I just don't fuck with. Students here are either very religious, socially awkward, boring, or some combination of the three. My hall freshman year was filled with some of the most unappealing people to be around socially that you could imagine. The kind of people who would sit in their rooms on a Friday night and watch twilight kind of people (sadly guys and girls). The kind of people who would unmistakably judge you for walking back through the halls looking high/drunk on a weekend or tell you that they "used to drink in highschool" kind of people.

Housing

Housing is possibly the worst part about CNU. I don't care how "nice" the dorms are compared to other schools. The bottom line is that they're DORMS.? And if you don't know already, CNU has a mandatory 3 year on campus requirement which is absurd. While students at other schools are getting apartments or houses with friends their sophmore year, students at CNU are frantically trying to sign up for their spot in an on campus dorm room. What if you don't sign up in time? Tough luck, you're getting randomly placed in a room next year. Also, given that CNU is a dry campus, if you are an occasional drinker like me you are bound to get caught at some point by the RA'S. (HALL WALKS AT 9, 10, AND 12 EVERY NIGHT) so get used to that. Also, get used to waking up in the morning to leaf blowers outside your window at 730, or dump trucks slamming open the dumpsters because I am telling you, that shit becomes life.

Education

Don't get me wrong, the education is good here. CNU gives you every opportunity to succeed academically. The classes you the are mostly 30 person classes. I personally prefer larger, lecture type classes but that's a preference. Also, there is an attendance policy so you can't skip even if the class comes easy to you and don't need to be there every time. (Sucks)

Social Life

join Greek life, plain and simple. There is absolutely no party scene outside of Greek organizations. But don't get too excited, CNU just implimented a new rule that says no house (east campus housing, basically apartments for upperclassmen that is still considered on campus) can have all members of the same greek organization. They must have at least one other student living in the house that is apart of another Greek organization. (In other words, you have to share a house with another fraternity.) Their reasoning? They claim it supports "Greek love", whatever that is.

The bottom line is CNU feels like a day care center for socially awkward and introverted young adults. If you are a normal student looking for a college experience, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, attend CNU.
Mon, 04 May 2015 10:00:40 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about CNU for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html No diversity on campus, not much to learn from peers because they have little life experience, professors are very good though luckily. If you're looking for a college experience beyond book learning ... Wed, 28 Jan 2015 03:42:17 GMT StudentsReview 1398-156850 1398-156850 1398 17 English Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Advice No diversity on campus, not much to learn from peers because they have little life experience, professors are very good though luckily. If you're looking for a college experience beyond book learning and expect to learn from your classmates, too, then don't go here. It's just a bunch of rich white kids barely old enough to drink. Wed, 28 Jan 2015 03:42:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CNU for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html CNU is a OK the only reason I decided to attend the school was because of money. I originally wanted to get away from the Hampton/Newport news area but overtime i started to like it. the Cafe is okay ... Mon, 12 Jan 2015 10:10:05 GMT StudentsReview 1398-156323 1398-156323 1398 54 Communications Female Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Neutral CNU is a OK the only reason I decided to attend the school was because of money. I originally wanted to get away from the Hampton/Newport news area but overtime i started to like it. the Cafe is okay i mean its better than high school but there is a chick-fil-A and all that good stuff on campus not to mention the tropical smoothie on campus to A.K.A where most of my spending money goes to. when it comes to dorms quality THEY ARE AMAZING i live in the newest dorm on campus but almost all of the resident halls are really really nice. Area wise well I have lived in Hampton for about 10 years (The city that borders Newport news) it's really boring and nothing much to do this area really is more of a summer time destination if you planning on attending here and you don't have a car your out of luck the area is more car dependent yes we do have public transportation and you can take it places like Williamsburg (Busch gardens/ Water country U.S.A and places like Virginia beach). There is really nothing in Newport news its self but a hookah bar or everyone goes up the street and hangs out at cookout. Campus events are pretty cool as well there not that many parties go on on Campus being that its a dry campus and most parties that go on wind up getting busted which sucks a little bit. The professors are really patient with you when i need help they are there to help and really ambitious with the students. I have a Learning disability and the professors work with me on that as well. Now if you wanting extra money there a lot of small jobs near CNU. Some of the Bad thing about CNU like i said there is not much entertainment here besides Virginia Beach or Norfolk really. The students especially from Northern Virginia walk around like they the somebody and got a stick up they ass thinking they the shit. and that is basically it Mon, 12 Jan 2015 10:10:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CNU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html The campus is nice and that is about the extent of it. The people walk around like they are at UVA. The students are self centered and snooty. The food SUCKS. The surrounding area is boring and violen... Mon, 25 Aug 2014 05:08:50 GMT StudentsReview 1398-121699 1398-121699 1398 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Neutral The campus is nice and that is about the extent of it. The people walk around like they are at UVA. The students are self centered and snooty. The food SUCKS. The surrounding area is boring and violent. Some people love this school (not sure how) it was for sure not the school for me. I felt like I was at one big high school. The partys are boring and get busted almost every time. Mon, 25 Aug 2014 05:08:50 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CNU_comments.html