StudentsReview - The College of William and Mary - Life at CWMhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CWM_comments.html Life at CWM - Comments en StudentsReview: Advice Review about CWM for Computer Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CWM_comments.html The students at William and Mary are friendly and passionate, and usually inspiring in some way. Make friends here, because the time you spend with them - discussing ideas from an Intro to Philosophy... Sun, 31 Aug 2014 06:24:31 GMT StudentsReview 1400-123077 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1400-123077 1400 12 Computer Science Male Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Advice The students at William and Mary are friendly and passionate, and usually inspiring in some way. Make friends here, because the time you spend with them - discussing ideas from an Intro to Philosophy class into the early hours of the morning, going out to some parties for the night, or streaking the Sunken Gardens - will shape the way that you grow in college even more than the coursework will. Your time here will be meaningful in ways you couldn't anticipate. Sun, 31 Aug 2014 06:24:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CWM_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CWM for Physicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CWM_comments.html William and Mary is my favorite place. Period. The students are friendly, the faculty are as well, not to mention available to help. If you're in the sciences, it's exceptionally easy to gain research... Sat, 12 Jul 2014 09:00:39 GMT StudentsReview 1400-113709 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1400-113709 1400 33 Physics Male Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Neutral William and Mary is my favorite place. Period. The students are friendly, the faculty are as well, not to mention available to help. If you're in the sciences, it's exceptionally easy to gain research experience. Just ask a prof. The city of williamsburg is admittedly lacking in the club scene, though we do have three to four bars, depending who you ask. They're all directly adjacent to campus, and are great, but the real fun is in house parties and the like, if you're into that sort of thing. If not, it's easy to get involved with clubs, athletics, etc.

The thing about WM is that there's something for everybody and anyone.

The coursework is demanding, but that doesn't mean it's not fun and rewarding. There's a lot to learn, and you have some of the best resources in professors the nation has to offer.

Not to mention, the campus is stunningly beautiful. Plus it's across the street from colonial williamsburg, which is pretty, and great for "casual" walks with your crush.

Bottom line, it's hard not to love this place.
Sat, 12 Jul 2014 09:00:39 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CWM_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CWM for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CWM_comments.html When I got into William and Mary, I was ecstatic...and shocked. I'd only applied to three colleges. My grades were amazing but my SAT scores didn't make the cut off at all. Only three of us from my hi... Tue, 17 Jun 2014 02:02:37 GMT StudentsReview 1400-111072 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1400-111072 1400 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Neutral When I got into William and Mary, I was ecstatic...and shocked. I'd only applied to three colleges. My grades were amazing but my SAT scores didn't make the cut off at all. Only three of us from my high school class of 500 ended up getting in, and we were from an in-state school.
Fast forward to freshman year. From the moment I set foot in the dorms, I realized I was in a completely different world. Most people had their parents and siblings helping them move in mountains of food, clothing and assorted other things to their cramped dorms. I had a couple of bins, a comforter and A/C to my name. When classes began, I learned that I was under-prepared in more ways than one.
In high school, I never wrote a paper and I never studied for anything but managed to keep a solid 4.0 average. This was because I went to a diploma mill (as I learned way too late in the game). This sad set of facts coupled with going to one of the hardest schools in the state sounds like the beginning of a bad joke. I turned in my first paper handwritten on notebook paper (because I knew no better). When I saw that everyone else had theirs typed and formatted, I immediately went to the professor to apologize. He was incredibly kind about the whole thing, as were most of the other professors I had (and continue to have). That first semester, I went to as many office hours as I could to learn how to write a proper paper. Although that first semester was rough grade-wise (especially since I was used to getting a 4.0 with little effort), because of the dedicated faculty and their patience with me, I was able to catch up to my peers and had a much higher GPA the second semester. I've even made dean's list a couple of times(3.6 and above at this school). However, I just happened to run into a lot of amazing faculty members. For every failure to fortune story like mine, there's two or three stories of someone in my situation who fell through the cracks.
Now, as for the other students/social life related things, I would have to say that the average member of the student body comes from an affluent background and has minimal knowledge or genuine interest in people that are different from them. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't/don't own a lot of things. When I came to college, I ended up befriending people who had a lot of nice possessions and had trouble understanding that other people are not as fortunate. Many people would plan group outings that would cost more money than I could afford to spend. When I told them that I couldn't afford it, they told me that I could pay them back. For some reason, they couldn't understand that I didn't have any money with which to do so.
In addition to a large wealth gap, there is also a diversity gap here. Although the school is letting more individuals of different backgrounds in, the school remains overwhelmingly WASP cultured. They also tend to be unable to see/feel the struggle of anyone else and look down upon those with certain GPA's (sub 3.0). There is also a heavy influence of "nerd" culture here. For the past three years, everyone has been making references to Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and assorted other "nerdy" things that someone who has never read/watched these things would not understand. If you have no experience with these series, I suggest either reading the books or preparing yourself to cause deafening silences any time you have to tell someone you have no clue what they're talking about. People are still shocked after my time here whenever I mention it and I'm a senior.
The facilities and food service are rather lacking as well. For the price you pay to live here, you could be far more comfortable and fed at another university.
Overall, it depends on what you're looking for. If you have the drive to continue despite the odds and are seeking an excellent education, I highly recommend this school. If you are hoping for a diverse school with empathetic individuals to befriend, excellent accommodations in terms of room and board, and a great deal to do and explore on weekends, I would advise you to forsake the appeal of name recognition and pick another school.
If I had to choose this school all over again knowing what I know now it would be a toss up. If I'd gone somewhere else, I may not have received the help I needed to become a successful student. At the same time, had I attended another school, I may have felt more comfortable and had an easier transition. I made the most of my time here at William and Mary. If you choose to come here, I hope you will consider your choices carefully.
Tue, 17 Jun 2014 02:02:37 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CWM_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CWM for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CWM_comments.html William and Mary is certainly a unique college environment. I wasn't one of the science majors that did really well, studied constantly, and loved by all my professors. However, I do think that if you... Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:38:08 GMT StudentsReview 1400-100627 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1400-100627 1400 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2013 4th Year Neutral William and Mary is certainly a unique college environment. I wasn't one of the science majors that did really well, studied constantly, and loved by all my professors. However, I do think that if you do try to a certain extent , you can learn a lot. WM is really about what you make out of it. If you find a good friend-group, get involved, stay busy with schoolwork, and don't care too much about partying, you would love it here & this would be the perfect place for you. If you're looking for a real "college" experience and crazy parties and less work, definitely not the place for you. I'd say that they stress academics a lot, but there is still a lot of improvement that needs to go into the school. It is still a state-funded school, so there are a lot of barriers that have to be overcome by that and funding is limited. I did love being a student at WM in my time here, but in retrospect, I'm not sure it's worth the $40,000 out-of-state tuition because I did not come from a wealthy family.

Once again, everyone has a different experience. At every school, you will find people who love it and people who hate it. You just have to decide is it worth the money and what you ultimately want out of your college experience.
Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:38:08 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CWM_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about CWM for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CWM_comments.html Going to William and Mary has been one of the best decisions I have made in my life. First, the academic possibilities are limitless. The faculty here treats you as individuals are willing to accommod... Sun, 24 Nov 2013 01:35:22 GMT StudentsReview 1400-97391 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1400-97391 1400 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Positive Going to William and Mary has been one of the best decisions I have made in my life. First, the academic possibilities are limitless. The faculty here treats you as individuals are willing to accommodate your learning needs, whether you are struggling with a particular topic or is doing great and want to study the topic in greater depth. The university lends strong support to undergraduate research, and there are numerous opportunities for students to pursue research opportunities across the nation and around the world. Second, William and Mary has a very diverse student population and students generally keep a very open mind. Whatever you 'scene' - be it jocks, nerds, and everything in between - the chances of you finding somewhere you 'belong' is very high. Third, the university has excellent supporting services such as free counselling, a superb sports center, a very helpful writing center, and excellent research librarians. Sun, 24 Nov 2013 01:35:22 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/CWM_comments.html