StudentsReview - George Mason University - Life at GMU Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/GMU_comments.html Life at GMU - Comments en StudentsReview: Advice Review about GMU for Criminalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/GMU_comments.html Seriously, DO NOT GO HERE. Looking for school spirit? We don't have it. A tight-knit student body? Depends how many commuter students felt like coming to campus that day. Want to get involved outsi... Thu, 18 Apr 2019 10:11:43 GMT StudentsReview 1404-184572 1404-184572 1404 44 Criminal Female Undergraduate Class 2019 4th Year Advice Seriously, DO NOT GO HERE.
Looking for school spirit? We don't have it.
Want to get involved outside of going to classes? Nobody cares.
Trying to find a campus that's pretty and easy to navigate? Good luck, because literally everything is fenced off and under construction for the next 3 years.

And to top if off, this school could not care less about sexual violence on campus and the safety of its students. I was sexually assaulted on campus last semester and Mason police gave me a pizza coupon to make me feel better. Haven't heard from them since. Want more info on their total lack of empathy? Read this Huffington Post story: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/george-mason-university-students-brett-kavanaugh_n_5cb75ca6e4b081fd16924ff3?

Mason is the fourth college I've attended (long story) and I'm graduating in a month and I'm honestly kind of depressed that George Mason University is the school that I'll be stuck with on my diploma for the rest of my life.
Thu, 18 Apr 2019 10:11:43 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/GMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about GMU for Nursinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/GMU_comments.html The administrators are complacent and/or actively bully and abuse students. They hire and support clinical instructors who are harsh, demeaning, and truly abusive toward students--people who lie and a... Fri, 04 May 2018 06:51:30 GMT StudentsReview 1404-183176 1404-183176 1404 30 Nursing Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative The administrators are complacent and/or actively bully and abuse students. They hire and support clinical instructors who are harsh, demeaning, and truly abusive toward students--people who lie and are deeply vicious. They create a situation of extreme jeopardy for even high-achieving students by hiring truly low quality people as clinical instructors and then giving them absolute and arbitrary power over students. This is an evil school run by evil women who lack moral insight and empathy. It has been one long hellish freak show! Fri, 04 May 2018 06:51:30 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/GMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about GMU for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/GMU_comments.html I spent 3 semesters (1.5 years) at Mason before I dropped out. There were several reasons for my decision to leave: (1) the social life aspect and extracurricular clubs were extremely lacking, (2) cou... Thu, 18 Jan 2018 02:17:19 GMT StudentsReview 1404-182381 1404-182381 1404 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 1920 2nd Year Negative I spent 3 semesters (1.5 years) at Mason before I dropped out. There were several reasons for my decision to leave: (1) the social life aspect and extracurricular clubs were extremely lacking, (2) coursework was primarily filled with busywork that was stressful not due to being challenging, but because of the amount, (3) many, MANY of the buildings on campus are old, outdated, and falling apart, (4) the library does not offer adequate seating OR operational hours to accomplish anything, (5) overall, coursework was not challenging and often I would feel that my high school courses were way more difficult than the work I was doing in college, (6) the student body as a whole seems uninspired and apathetic about not only Mason (as in lacking school spirit) but high education in general, and lastly, (7) there are SO many students on campus on any given day (minus the weekends thanks to it being what seems to be primarily a commuter school) that it is difficult to find seating ANYWHERE, walk or bike to class, get housing that you want, enroll in courses that you need, etc. Allow me to explain further.

1. I was a psychology major at Mason. Guess what? There wasn't even a psychology club to join. Many of the clubs that did exist were run by disorganized and apathetic students. For example, I was invited to join the National Society of Collegiate Scholars while I was at Mason and I attended two meetings after my initial acceptance. No one came! It was just me, the club officers, and TWO other students. This seemed to be a recurring theme with on-campus organizations.
2. With the exclusion of big lecture classes with nearly 300 people wherein your grades were determined by only 2 or 3 exams for the entire semester, the majority of other, smaller classes (20-50 students) seemed to produce a never-ending supply of busywork for the class. The thing that was frustrating the most is that this busywork would count for approximately 10% or 20% of your total class grade, and yet the amount of time and effort poured into these assignments would far outweigh anything else worked on during the semester.
3. As you now know, I was a psychology major at Mason. The building that the psychology department was housed in was absolutely crumbling sh*t, pardon my language. The building, David King Hall, was built around 1980 and it definitely shows. There have been ZERO renovations or upgrades since it was built. It is dimly lit and has a foul odor inside. The basement, where actual classes are held, is even worse than the upper level where advising is located. Of course, STEM majors are treated like royalty around here with much newer, nicer buildings (this seems to be a theme of social sciences versus literally everything else). Even the art building was nice! Mason literally couldn't give a crap about their social science programs, and the deteriorating conditions that they are forced to put up with show it.
4. For a university with over 30,000 enrolled students, one might think that they might need more than one library in order to provide sufficient space for studying students. Not so at Mason; there is one library (granted, it is very new and updated) but it closes at midnight for most weekdays and even earlier at 6pm on the weekends. Even more troubling than the short hours (when compared to other universities that offer 24/7 libraries) is the HUGE lack of space. I have spent what has felt like hours just wandering around the library searching for ONE seat or desk that I could sit and work at. It got so bad with the lack of seating that I just stopped going to the library at all and relied 100% on my dorm desk to get my work done, which was not ideal with the roommates that I had.
5. I would consider myself an average to only slightly above average student in terms of academic capacity. During high school I made all A's and B's, and I had also taken some dual enrollment classes at my local community college. I graduated high school with a 4.53 weighted GPA, however, my standardized testing scores were NOT good at all (25 for the ACT and 1200 for the SAT). I expected to be somewhat challenged, obviously, by college coursework when compared to the work I did in high school. However, I found myself consistently making all A's with only one A- or B thrown in every now and then. If I can consistently make those types of grades, then rest assured the material is NOT academically stimulating or challenging at all.
6.When you actually start to talk to students of Mason, it seems that a high percentage are here just to get a degree (which isn't a bad thing). However, the general attitude of "I just need a C or D to pass this class" is not inspiring or spirited in the slightest.
7. Similar to the problem with Fenwick Library being overcrowded, the entire campus struggles to keep up wit the demands of thousands upon thousands of students every day. I bought a bike to get around during my second semester and I ended up not even being able to use it due to the immense overcrowding of the sidewalks with everyone walking to their classes. This theme continued into nearly every dining facility and restaurant on campus, making for an extremely frustrating (and claustrophobic) experience.

I know that I have been rather negative on Mason, but for all of its faults and flaws, it is a good school (especially for international and STEM students). If you just want a place to skate by all 4 years and end up with a degree at the end of it, then this place is probably for you. However, if you want to feel like you're part of a community in an intellectually stimulating and passionate environment with personal attention, look elsewhere (as I currently am)!
Thu, 18 Jan 2018 02:17:19 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/GMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about GMU for Engineering Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/GMU_comments.html GMU has thus far provided me with positive educational experiences. I have been challenged within my major and most professors have been helpful and approachable. The campus offers a wide variety of... Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:42:01 GMT StudentsReview 1404-180830 1404-180830 1404 61 Engineering Department Female Undergraduate Class 1921 2nd Year Positive GMU has thus far provided me with positive educational experiences. I have been challenged within my major and most professors have been helpful and approachable. The campus offers a wide variety of dining options, as well as many activities. GMU is not a 'party' school, but there is always an event to attend ( on or off campus) if you are motivated to find something. Surrounding areas of Fairfax, Mosaic District, D.C., etc. all have a lot to offer. Restaurants, shopping, museums, zoo, and various other activities are easy to get to. Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:42:01 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/GMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about GMU for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/GMU_comments.html If you?re looking for a traditional, party-fueled college ?experience?, this isn?t it. Mason doesn?t have a football team, and you?ll get lost trying to find the Greek row (HINT: fraternity and sorori... Fri, 05 May 2017 12:57:56 GMT StudentsReview 1404-179723 1404-179723 1404 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2019 2nd Year Neutral If you?re looking for a traditional, party-fueled college ?experience?, this isn?t it. Mason doesn?t have a football team, and you?ll get lost trying to find the Greek row (HINT: fraternity and sorority houses are scattered off-campus and disguised as regular suburban houses). While the majority of freshman live in student housing, Mason is primarily a commuter school. 74% of students live off-campus, and the campus is usually desolate by Friday afternoons?which is a shame, because the campus itself is quite nice. There are plenty of forested pathways to walk through on your way to class, and I?ve never felt unsafe while walking around on campus at night. The gyms, libraries and dining halls (check out The Globe) are decently impressive, and the only serious complaint I?ve heard about the meals being served came from a student who was used to having a private chef cook for him.

That being said, the lack of a vibrant social atmosphere can be depressing. Most of the student body is fairly introverted and nerdy, and you?re more likely to see a Dungeons & Dragons game in play on a Saturday night than a frat guy chugging jungle juice. This won?t really bother students who appreciate the conservatism of the school?s surrounding area, however: Northern Virginia is an incredibly transitory place due to its high population of federal employees and close proximity to Washington D.C., so the culture that surrounds it is a mesh of affluent white suburbia and the numerous cultures of the immigrants who live here. Expect heavy traffic and an abundance of neurotic, type-A personalities. Expect a wide variety of amazing Korean, Vietnamese and Thai restaurants too (most of which can be found in nearby Annandale)?if you?re not into keeping up with the Joneses or an adventurous eater, you?ll be better off spending your four years somewhere else.

I?m halfway through my four years of not being somewhere else. At first, I felt indifferent towards Mason and considered transferring out after the end of my freshman year. I?m glad to say that I reevaluated my decision and decided to stay. Within weeks of starting my sophomore year, I realized that I really enjoyed my area of study (human factors and applied cognition) and the work associated with it. I took the initiative to talk to my professors about the research they were conducting, and I now work as an undergraduate research assistant for multiple cognitive psychology labs. Most of the psychology and neuroscience professors at Mason are incredibly helpful and are available to work with their undergraduate students?which is something that my friends at more prestigious universities (with detached, overwhelmed professors) envy. The amount of technology available for undergraduate researchers to use is also pretty sweet and unique, which includes but is not limited to fMRI, EEG and TCD machines, as well as a soundproof chamber and virtual reality simulators.

Needless to say, Mason?s greatest strength is its ability to prepare students for the post-graduate world. There are a ton of ambitious students here who prioritize perfecting their GPA and resume over their beer pong skills, so it?s easy to stay motivated to do the same. Go Patriots.

tl;dr: What GMU lacks in (traditional) student life, it makes up for in solid academics, friendly professors and a wide range of research and internship opportunities. If you?re someone who likes to party, you?ll either leave Mason for JMU or get so bored that you?ll focus all of your energy on studying and building your CV?which is kind of what a college education is for, anyways.
Fri, 05 May 2017 12:57:56 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/GMU_comments.html