StudentsReview - James Madison University - Life at JMU Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html Life at JMU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about JMU for Nursinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html This school is awesome and it has just been getting better! The school is putting a lot of time and money into bettering itself which is great to see. I think its safe to say a great majority of peo... Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:48:09 GMT StudentsReview 1408-158754 1408-158754 1408 30 Nursing Female Undergraduate Class 2019 3rd Year Positive This school is awesome and it has just been getting better! The school is putting a lot of time and money into bettering itself which is great to see. I think its safe to say a great majority of people here love the school. It may not be for everyone but it is definitely fitting for most. I would choose JMU again if i had the chance. Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:48:09 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about JMU for Geography and Geoscienceshttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html I will start by saying that the Geographic Science program at JMU is fantastic, with a lot of very down to earth professors and students. Classes are taught in a warm environment, and it feels almost ... Mon, 05 Jan 2015 10:12:38 GMT StudentsReview 1408-155923 1408-155923 1408 56 Geography and Geosciences Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Neutral I will start by saying that the Geographic Science program at JMU is fantastic, with a lot of very down to earth professors and students. Classes are taught in a warm environment, and it feels almost too good to be true. As a matter of fact, the whole science department is growing and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it becomes tough competition with Virginia Tech pretty soon. Now for the school itself, I can't complain. It's got good food, a good bus system, things to do on and off campus, and a good girl to guy ratio. Some of the students though, especially a lot of the "frat guys" can be very arrogant and obnoxious though. There isn't a lot of diversity within the student body, so there are quite a few of these types of people. Student body is very good looking too, so if you're average looking like myself, you may at times feel very self-conscious. In terms of how the students care about school, it really varies. I've met a lot of very motivated individuals, but also quite of few that are the opposite. While I did get into Virginia Tech, I chose JMU over it because I felt more comfortable on the campus and it is more affordable. Now, midway into my sophomore year, I am happy about that decision, yet slightly curious to know what it would've been like if I had gone there, and if I would've had a better experience there. All in all though, JMU is a decent school. Mon, 05 Jan 2015 10:12:38 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about JMU for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html I really love JMU. The students are incredibly friendly. Everyone always opens the door for each other, and it's easy to strike up a conversation with anyone you want. I'm a fairly shy person, but, I ... Sun, 28 Dec 2014 08:41:26 GMT StudentsReview 1408-155660 1408-155660 1408 17 English Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive I really love JMU. The students are incredibly friendly. Everyone always opens the door for each other, and it's easy to strike up a conversation with anyone you want. I'm a fairly shy person, but, I love the caring atmosphere. I honestly feel like I could talk to most anyone and it would be received with kindness.
The professors genuinely care about their students; for example, in one of my General Education classes this past semester, my English professor (out of a class of 200+) emailed a few people who had made high marks, or made an effort to improve their grades and better understand the content. It was great to see that he didn't view us as numbers, and appreciated the effort students put into the class.
There's plenty of things to do on campus, with over 300 clubs. I myself am not too into partying, but I know that there are plenty of opportunities to get into extracurricular activities.
Overall, I love my school. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.
Sun, 28 Dec 2014 08:41:26 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about JMU for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html I just don't like it here much. Trying to skate by having the 'normal college experience', but it's so dull. Would not recommend unless you're into fratty rich kids.... Thu, 06 Nov 2014 08:51:07 GMT StudentsReview 1408-152911 1408-152911 1408 54 Communications Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative I just don't like it here much. Trying to skate by having the 'normal college experience', but it's so dull. Would not recommend unless you're into fratty rich kids. Thu, 06 Nov 2014 08:51:07 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about JMU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html JMU is an interesting place, to be sure. i see it as a microcosm of everything one can hope to expect from a public university. You will meet every conceivable type of person here, staff and students.... Fri, 11 Jul 2014 11:23:37 GMT StudentsReview 1408-113633 1408-113633 1408 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Positive JMU is an interesting place, to be sure. i see it as a microcosm of everything one can hope to expect from a public university. You will meet every conceivable type of person here, staff and students. You may sit between the trust-funded Fraternity brother from Northern Virginia on the left and the artsy-introverted girl from Massachusetts on your right. The odd thing about JMU, you could wind up getting along wonderfully with both. Friendliness is key and you get what you give. Professors, like students run the gamut from the ones that will move heaven and earth to see their students pass, to the ones that will merciless crush your dreams with a smile (ratemyprfessor is going to be your best friend). I came in knowing i wanted to be in marketing and the program is phenomenal, i am definitely being challenged and the career resources are competitive but certainly abundant. Housing is only guaranteed for freshman year but off-campus townhomes, houses, and apartments are affordable and varied (its a buyers market and rent goes from about $300 up to $600 monthly). Food is everything they say it is, delicious and available in amazing variety; we have at least 7 different places to eat not including coffee shops and snack bars. The social life is what you make of it. There are plenty of parties most weekends and a bus system to get you to and from them. joining Greek life isn't necessary but if you find an organization that likes you and you can afford it, there is no reason not to. On a final note, the traffic and parking situation are definite problems, all upper class-men bring their vehicles and there aren't nearly enough spots Fri, 11 Jul 2014 11:23:37 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html