StudentsReview - James Madison University - Life at JMU Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html Life at JMU - Comments en StudentsReview: Advice Review about JMU for Architecturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html I came here to warn those of you who are looking to join JMU's Architectural Design program. If anyone is interested in studying Architectural Design at JMU, please take the time to read this comment;... Tue, 02 Feb 2016 04:11:10 GMT StudentsReview 1408-172581 1408-172581 1408 3 Architecture Male Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Advice I came here to warn those of you who are looking to join JMU's Architectural Design program. If anyone is interested in studying Architectural Design at JMU, please take the time to read this comment; you may want to reconsider your field of study at this university. The current program is in dire need of restructuring.
The majority of ARCD classes (the required studio class for the major) are spent randomly cutting and gluing pieces of chipboard together, creating meaningless structures that serve no actual purpose. The class places a heavy emphasis on philosophy, and because of this, directions for assignments are left incredibly ambiguous. Some professors come in without lesson plans; every class is an "open discussion" or "critique" where the professor gathers everyone in a room and talks about just about anything to kill the time. As a passionate student who looked forward to learning about architecture, I felt completely unengaged for the majority of my time spent in ARCD classes. There were even days where we did Yoga as part of the class and I feel that this is completely unacceptable.
Grading is also very subjective; if you disagree with the anything the professors say, it results in a negative impact on your grade. This forces students to mindlessly agree to everything, which in the long runs hurts both the students and the university.
Seeing some of the works of friends of mine from other schools (such as UVA and Tulane) absolutely blows me away. They create actual models of what could be turned into full scale buildings while we just cut and paste scraps together until we find a form that the professor thinks is aesthetically pleasing. I can't help but feel that I have wasted my time, money, and effort.
Tue, 02 Feb 2016 04:11:10 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about JMU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html JMU does an excellent job of offering big school resources with an intimate small school feel.... Mon, 28 Dec 2015 07:17:15 GMT StudentsReview 1408-172217 1408-172217 1408 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Class 1994 4th Year Positive JMU does an excellent job of offering big school resources with an intimate small school feel. Mon, 28 Dec 2015 07:17:15 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about JMU for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html It's taken me a long time to really feel like I have a spot here. Yes, unless you are the typical white-girl-esque type, feeling like you belong is hard but if you really try to put yourself out there... Thu, 19 Nov 2015 06:40:46 GMT StudentsReview 1408-171781 1408-171781 1408 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Neutral It's taken me a long time to really feel like I have a spot here. Yes, unless you are the typical white-girl-esque type, feeling like you belong is hard but if you really try to put yourself out there, it's doable. There is plenty of diversity if you really hunt for it (not that you should have to). Most people are super friendly despite the conformity.
The staff is hit or miss. I'm a dual degree student and I've found that the staff in one department is very encouraging and helpful while the other is a condescending nightmare. I've had professors that were wonderful and some that were the absolute worst. Most are right in the middle. Signing up for classes is hell and you really have to hound the administration to get any help.
The campus is beautiful but that seems to be where the money goes. Meanwhile some dorms dont have wifi or enough fire exits (looking at you, Eagle hall). Campus is huge and getting back in forth in time for class can be really tough but most professors are pretty understanding about it. Parking is impossible for commuters so don't bother buying a parking pass.
Parties are overrated. Usually it's just crowded apartments or frats. Find your own group and you'll be fine. The town is super small but it's nice and safe. Usually you can find an event if you really look. I actually wish the school did more for the community since it could use so much help and we clearly have enough money to provide the football team with the world.
Thu, 19 Nov 2015 06:40:46 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about JMU for Public Healthhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html Let me be the one to be completely honest with you. JMU is the biggest hype school on the face of the earth. By this, I mean the school is incredibly hyped up to be an almost perfect atmosphere; this ... Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:09:11 GMT StudentsReview 1408-169548 1408-169548 1408 64 Public Health Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Neutral Let me be the one to be completely honest with you. JMU is the biggest hype school on the face of the earth. By this, I mean the school is incredibly hyped up to be an almost perfect atmosphere; this is not entirely false. People hold doors for you, but don't expect everyone to. The school lies to you when it says that Greek life isn't that huge. Unless you are a sorority or fraternity type, you won't be completely satisfied with your experience. Some, not all, sorority girls are very standoff-ish and rude. The school is also the least diverse school I have ever come across. Most people are white, from NOVA or Richmond, or the northeast. The geneds are hard and sorta uncessary- I had to take a really hard art history course and spent more time on that to get a B than I spent on classes for my major. The school is really big and a nuisance to get around. Once you figure out the bus system, you'll be ok. Don't expect to get on the ICS (inter-campus shuttle) ever, its almost always full. Try to not get classes in Memorial Hall as it can be hard to get to. The parking at JMU is an absolute joke, you pay 200 plus to get a parking pass with no guaranteed spot. The parties aren't very fun either; usually crowded apartment parties that get busted right away or frats where no one gets in except pretty girls. I once got denied because I wasn't hot enough, I kid you not.
The low down- JMU is a really big school, and it's outgrowing the small, nothing-town of Harrisonburg. The students are generally happy and the professors are good, advisors are hit or miss. The academics are good and they have a good reputation. Basically, I reccommend but read my whole review first, it will help you in the end.
Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:09:11 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about JMU for Nursinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html This school is awesome and it has just been getting better! The school is putting a lot of time and money into bettering itself which is great to see. I think its safe to say a great majority of peo... Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:48:09 GMT StudentsReview 1408-158754 1408-158754 1408 30 Nursing Female Undergraduate Class 2019 3rd Year Positive This school is awesome and it has just been getting better! The school is putting a lot of time and money into bettering itself which is great to see. I think its safe to say a great majority of people here love the school. It may not be for everyone but it is definitely fitting for most. I would choose JMU again if i had the chance. Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:48:09 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html