StudentsReview - James Madison University - Life at JMU Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html Life at JMU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about JMU for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html Let me just say, coming to JMU was the worst mistake I've ever made. The only good thing about JMU is the opportunity to build resume in the city of Harrisonburg because there was no competition at al... Fri, 22 Apr 2016 05:01:54 GMT StudentsReview 1408-173352 1408-173352 1408 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Negative Let me just say, coming to JMU was the worst mistake I've ever made. The only good thing about JMU is the opportunity to build resume in the city of Harrisonburg because there was no competition at all. Thanks to that, I am now attending one of the top graduate programs for my field of study - so maybe it was meant to be.

Before I go on about why JMU was a terrible choice for me, let me say the good things: people are usually nice, campus is pretty safe, beautiful & clean campus, and cheap tuition.

I can't speak for students in the other departments, but I am embarrassed that I am a graduate of this dept. Majority of my classes were worthless and I couldn't believe I had to pay to take such basic and high-school level courses. Quality of students in my major classes were poor and I really worried about them. I couldn't have a decent conversation with most of the students. It blew my mind how many of them lacked basic knowledge. Quality of my professors were pretty disappointing (boring cv's, poor connections, lack professionalism, questionable teaching...etc). Also their expectations from students are pretty low (no surprise). BUT there are few quality professors that are simply just amazing and made me wonder why they teach at JMU.

Nothing at JMU was interesting, and I did complain. People at JMU are very proud of themselves and believe that JMU is the best university in the world. By complaining, I made lots of enemies. I didn't care. My expectations for JMU helping me with my future was zero.

If you are a bright student, and want to surround yourself with people who are academically driven and care about their future - I don't recommend this school. I learned that school names and rankings matter - they exist for a reason, my friend.

Also, if you are all about diversity, don't come here. The international population is slowly growing, but the majority ignores them. I personally grew up in a pretty diverse community, and have pretty diverse group of friends; but I've never been around people who were that racist and closed minded.

In conclusion, if you bs-ed high school and want to bs college, JMU is a great choice! Go Dukes!
Fri, 22 Apr 2016 05:01:54 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about JMU for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html People at JMU make it seem like Disneyland, good on the outside, bad on the inside. The biggest negative about JMU is the social scene, most students here are close-minded, condescending, arrogant jer... Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:48:45 GMT StudentsReview 1408-173291 1408-173291 1408 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Negative People at JMU make it seem like Disneyland, good on the outside, bad on the inside. The biggest negative about JMU is the social scene, most students here are close-minded, condescending, arrogant jerks whether they're hallmates, people in clubs, or just people you see on campus. Students will treat you like garbage whether you party or not by the way. Students don't hold doors open for eachother, I don't know how that was even made up. The professors are overall okay, they are accessible a decent amount and respond to emails relatively quick, but some talk down on you and don't really help with whatever you need help with. If you want college to be the best four years of your life, I would highly recommend going to a different college, I'm still in my first year and I highly doubt I'm returning after this year. Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:48:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about JMU for Architecturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html I came here to warn those of you who are looking to join JMU's Architectural Design program. If anyone is interested in studying Architectural Design at JMU, please take the time to read this comment;... Tue, 02 Feb 2016 04:11:10 GMT StudentsReview 1408-172581 1408-172581 1408 3 Architecture Male Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Advice I came here to warn those of you who are looking to join JMU's Architectural Design program. If anyone is interested in studying Architectural Design at JMU, please take the time to read this comment; you may want to reconsider your field of study at this university. The current program is in dire need of restructuring.
The majority of ARCD classes (the required studio class for the major) are spent randomly cutting and gluing pieces of chipboard together, creating meaningless structures that serve no actual purpose. The class places a heavy emphasis on philosophy, and because of this, directions for assignments are left incredibly ambiguous. Some professors come in without lesson plans; every class is an "open discussion" or "critique" where the professor gathers everyone in a room and talks about just about anything to kill the time. As a passionate student who looked forward to learning about architecture, I felt completely unengaged for the majority of my time spent in ARCD classes. There were even days where we did Yoga as part of the class and I feel that this is completely unacceptable.
Grading is also very subjective; if you disagree with the anything the professors say, it results in a negative impact on your grade. This forces students to mindlessly agree to everything, which in the long runs hurts both the students and the university.
Seeing some of the works of friends of mine from other schools (such as UVA and Tulane) absolutely blows me away. They create actual models of what could be turned into full scale buildings while we just cut and paste scraps together until we find a form that the professor thinks is aesthetically pleasing. I can't help but feel that I have wasted my time, money, and effort.
Tue, 02 Feb 2016 04:11:10 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about JMU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html JMU does an excellent job of offering big school resources with an intimate small school feel.... Mon, 28 Dec 2015 07:17:15 GMT StudentsReview 1408-172217 1408-172217 1408 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Class 1994 4th Year Positive JMU does an excellent job of offering big school resources with an intimate small school feel. Mon, 28 Dec 2015 07:17:15 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about JMU for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html It's taken me a long time to really feel like I have a spot here. Yes, unless you are the typical white-girl-esque type, feeling like you belong is hard but if you really try to put yourself out there... Thu, 19 Nov 2015 06:40:46 GMT StudentsReview 1408-171781 1408-171781 1408 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Neutral It's taken me a long time to really feel like I have a spot here. Yes, unless you are the typical white-girl-esque type, feeling like you belong is hard but if you really try to put yourself out there, it's doable. There is plenty of diversity if you really hunt for it (not that you should have to). Most people are super friendly despite the conformity.
The staff is hit or miss. I'm a dual degree student and I've found that the staff in one department is very encouraging and helpful while the other is a condescending nightmare. I've had professors that were wonderful and some that were the absolute worst. Most are right in the middle. Signing up for classes is hell and you really have to hound the administration to get any help.
The campus is beautiful but that seems to be where the money goes. Meanwhile some dorms dont have wifi or enough fire exits (looking at you, Eagle hall). Campus is huge and getting back in forth in time for class can be really tough but most professors are pretty understanding about it. Parking is impossible for commuters so don't bother buying a parking pass.
Parties are overrated. Usually it's just crowded apartments or frats. Find your own group and you'll be fine. The town is super small but it's nice and safe. Usually you can find an event if you really look. I actually wish the school did more for the community since it could use so much help and we clearly have enough money to provide the football team with the world.
Thu, 19 Nov 2015 06:40:46 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html