StudentsReview - James Madison University - Life at JMU Copyright 2018 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html Life at JMU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about JMU for Architecturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html Please stay away from the Architectural Design for your own future, it is not state or interior design/architecture accredited. It is setting students up for failure and a worthless degree.... Tue, 24 Apr 2018 06:16:05 GMT StudentsReview 1408-183114 1408-183114 1408 3 Architecture Female Undergraduate Class 2017 4th Year Negative Please stay away from the Architectural Design for your own future, it is not state or interior design/architecture accredited. It is setting students up for failure and a worthless degree. Tue, 24 Apr 2018 06:16:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about JMU for Engineering Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html DO NOT come to JMU for General Engineering if you don't like group projects and you don't care about whether you can get a real engineering job with this degree. I wasted 2 years here and I transferr... Fri, 22 Dec 2017 07:43:19 GMT StudentsReview 1408-182285 1408-182285 1408 61 Engineering Department Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative DO NOT come to JMU for General Engineering if you don't like group projects and you don't care about whether you can get a real engineering job with this degree. I wasted 2 years here and I transferred. It was the worst decision I ever made!!! Fri, 22 Dec 2017 07:43:19 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about JMU for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html Let me just say, coming to JMU was the worst mistake I've ever made. The only good thing about JMU is the opportunity to build resume in the city of Harrisonburg because there was no competition at al... Fri, 22 Apr 2016 05:01:54 GMT StudentsReview 1408-173352 1408-173352 1408 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Negative Let me just say, coming to JMU was the worst mistake I've ever made. The only good thing about JMU is the opportunity to build resume in the city of Harrisonburg because there was no competition at all. Thanks to that, I am now attending one of the top graduate programs for my field of study - so maybe it was meant to be.

Before I go on about why JMU was a terrible choice for me, let me say the good things: people are usually nice, campus is pretty safe, beautiful & clean campus, and cheap tuition.

I can't speak for students in the other departments, but I am embarrassed that I am a graduate of this dept. Majority of my classes were worthless and I couldn't believe I had to pay to take such basic and high-school level courses. Quality of students in my major classes were poor and I really worried about them. I couldn't have a decent conversation with most of the students. It blew my mind how many of them lacked basic knowledge. Quality of my professors were pretty disappointing (boring cv's, poor connections, lack professionalism, questionable teaching...etc). Also their expectations from students are pretty low (no surprise). BUT there are few quality professors that are simply just amazing and made me wonder why they teach at JMU.

Nothing at JMU was interesting, and I did complain. People at JMU are very proud of themselves and believe that JMU is the best university in the world. By complaining, I made lots of enemies. I didn't care. My expectations for JMU helping me with my future was zero.

If you are a bright student, and want to surround yourself with people who are academically driven and care about their future - I don't recommend this school. I learned that school names and rankings matter - they exist for a reason, my friend.

Also, if you are all about diversity, don't come here. The international population is slowly growing, but the majority ignores them. I personally grew up in a pretty diverse community, and have pretty diverse group of friends; but I've never been around people who were that racist and closed minded.

In conclusion, if you bs-ed high school and want to bs college, JMU is a great choice! Go Dukes!
Fri, 22 Apr 2016 05:01:54 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about JMU for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html People at JMU make it seem like Disneyland, good on the outside, bad on the inside. The biggest negative about JMU is the social scene, most students here are close-minded, condescending, arrogant jer... Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:48:45 GMT StudentsReview 1408-173291 1408-173291 1408 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Negative People at JMU make it seem like Disneyland, good on the outside, bad on the inside. The biggest negative about JMU is the social scene, most students here are close-minded, condescending, arrogant jerks whether they're hallmates, people in clubs, or just people you see on campus. Students will treat you like garbage whether you party or not by the way. Students don't hold doors open for eachother, I don't know how that was even made up. The professors are overall okay, they are accessible a decent amount and respond to emails relatively quick, but some talk down on you and don't really help with whatever you need help with. If you want college to be the best four years of your life, I would highly recommend going to a different college, I'm still in my first year and I highly doubt I'm returning after this year. Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:48:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about JMU for Architecturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html I came here to warn those of you who are looking to join JMU's Architectural Design program. If anyone is interested in studying Architectural Design at JMU, please take the time to read this comment;... Tue, 02 Feb 2016 04:11:10 GMT StudentsReview 1408-172581 1408-172581 1408 3 Architecture Male Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Advice I came here to warn those of you who are looking to join JMU's Architectural Design program. If anyone is interested in studying Architectural Design at JMU, please take the time to read this comment; you may want to reconsider your field of study at this university. The current program is in dire need of restructuring.
The majority of ARCD classes (the required studio class for the major) are spent randomly cutting and gluing pieces of chipboard together, creating meaningless structures that serve no actual purpose. The class places a heavy emphasis on philosophy, and because of this, directions for assignments are left incredibly ambiguous. Some professors come in without lesson plans; every class is an "open discussion" or "critique" where the professor gathers everyone in a room and talks about just about anything to kill the time. As a passionate student who looked forward to learning about architecture, I felt completely unengaged for the majority of my time spent in ARCD classes. There were even days where we did Yoga as part of the class and I feel that this is completely unacceptable.
Grading is also very subjective; if you disagree with the anything the professors say, it results in a negative impact on your grade. This forces students to mindlessly agree to everything, which in the long runs hurts both the students and the university.
Seeing some of the works of friends of mine from other schools (such as UVA and Tulane) absolutely blows me away. They create actual models of what could be turned into full scale buildings while we just cut and paste scraps together until we find a form that the professor thinks is aesthetically pleasing. I can't help but feel that I have wasted my time, money, and effort.
Tue, 02 Feb 2016 04:11:10 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html