StudentsReview - James Madison University - Life at JMU Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html Life at JMU - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about JMU for Public Healthhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html Let me be the one to be completely honest with you. JMU is the biggest hype school on the face of the earth. By this, I mean the school is incredibly hyped up to be an almost perfect atmosphere; this ... Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:09:11 GMT StudentsReview 1408-169548 1408-169548 1408 64 Public Health Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Neutral Let me be the one to be completely honest with you. JMU is the biggest hype school on the face of the earth. By this, I mean the school is incredibly hyped up to be an almost perfect atmosphere; this is not entirely false. People hold doors for you, but don't expect everyone to. The school lies to you when it says that Greek life isn't that huge. Unless you are a sorority or fraternity type, you won't be completely satisfied with your experience. Some, not all, sorority girls are very standoff-ish and rude. The school is also the least diverse school I have ever come across. Most people are white, from NOVA or Richmond, or the northeast. The geneds are hard and sorta uncessary- I had to take a really hard art history course and spent more time on that to get a B than I spent on classes for my major. The school is really big and a nuisance to get around. Once you figure out the bus system, you'll be ok. Don't expect to get on the ICS (inter-campus shuttle) ever, its almost always full. Try to not get classes in Memorial Hall as it can be hard to get to. The parking at JMU is an absolute joke, you pay 200 plus to get a parking pass with no guaranteed spot. The parties aren't very fun either; usually crowded apartment parties that get busted right away or frats where no one gets in except pretty girls. I once got denied because I wasn't hot enough, I kid you not.
The low down- JMU is a really big school, and it's outgrowing the small, nothing-town of Harrisonburg. The students are generally happy and the professors are good, advisors are hit or miss. The academics are good and they have a good reputation. Basically, I reccommend but read my whole review first, it will help you in the end.
Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:09:11 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about JMU for Nursinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html This school is awesome and it has just been getting better! The school is putting a lot of time and money into bettering itself which is great to see. I think its safe to say a great majority of peo... Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:48:09 GMT StudentsReview 1408-158754 1408-158754 1408 30 Nursing Female Undergraduate Class 2019 3rd Year Positive This school is awesome and it has just been getting better! The school is putting a lot of time and money into bettering itself which is great to see. I think its safe to say a great majority of people here love the school. It may not be for everyone but it is definitely fitting for most. I would choose JMU again if i had the chance. Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:48:09 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about JMU for Geography and Geoscienceshttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html I will start by saying that the Geographic Science program at JMU is fantastic, with a lot of very down to earth professors and students. Classes are taught in a warm environment, and it feels almost ... Mon, 05 Jan 2015 10:12:38 GMT StudentsReview 1408-155923 1408-155923 1408 56 Geography and Geosciences Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Neutral I will start by saying that the Geographic Science program at JMU is fantastic, with a lot of very down to earth professors and students. Classes are taught in a warm environment, and it feels almost too good to be true. As a matter of fact, the whole science department is growing and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it becomes tough competition with Virginia Tech pretty soon. Now for the school itself, I can't complain. It's got good food, a good bus system, things to do on and off campus, and a good girl to guy ratio. Some of the students though, especially a lot of the "frat guys" can be very arrogant and obnoxious though. There isn't a lot of diversity within the student body, so there are quite a few of these types of people. Student body is very good looking too, so if you're average looking like myself, you may at times feel very self-conscious. In terms of how the students care about school, it really varies. I've met a lot of very motivated individuals, but also quite of few that are the opposite. While I did get into Virginia Tech, I chose JMU over it because I felt more comfortable on the campus and it is more affordable. Now, midway into my sophomore year, I am happy about that decision, yet slightly curious to know what it would've been like if I had gone there, and if I would've had a better experience there. All in all though, JMU is a decent school. Mon, 05 Jan 2015 10:12:38 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about JMU for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html I really love JMU. The students are incredibly friendly. Everyone always opens the door for each other, and it's easy to strike up a conversation with anyone you want. I'm a fairly shy person, but, I ... Sun, 28 Dec 2014 08:41:26 GMT StudentsReview 1408-155660 1408-155660 1408 17 English Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive I really love JMU. The students are incredibly friendly. Everyone always opens the door for each other, and it's easy to strike up a conversation with anyone you want. I'm a fairly shy person, but, I love the caring atmosphere. I honestly feel like I could talk to most anyone and it would be received with kindness.
The professors genuinely care about their students; for example, in one of my General Education classes this past semester, my English professor (out of a class of 200+) emailed a few people who had made high marks, or made an effort to improve their grades and better understand the content. It was great to see that he didn't view us as numbers, and appreciated the effort students put into the class.
There's plenty of things to do on campus, with over 300 clubs. I myself am not too into partying, but I know that there are plenty of opportunities to get into extracurricular activities.
Overall, I love my school. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.
Sun, 28 Dec 2014 08:41:26 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about JMU for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html I just don't like it here much. Trying to skate by having the 'normal college experience', but it's so dull. Would not recommend unless you're into fratty rich kids.... Thu, 06 Nov 2014 08:51:07 GMT StudentsReview 1408-152911 1408-152911 1408 54 Communications Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative I just don't like it here much. Trying to skate by having the 'normal college experience', but it's so dull. Would not recommend unless you're into fratty rich kids. Thu, 06 Nov 2014 08:51:07 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/JMU_comments.html