StudentsReview - Longwood University - Life at Longwoodhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/LCF_comments.html Life at Longwood - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about Longwood for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/LCF_comments.html Overall you should choose the school that feels right for you. I went into Longwood separate from my friends at home and gained a whole new group of people I couldn't imagine having never met. Cherish... Wed, 10 Jul 2013 02:41:14 GMT StudentsReview 1410-94733 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1410-94733 1410 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2014 3rd Year Positive Overall you should choose the school that feels right for you. I went into Longwood separate from my friends at home and gained a whole new group of people I couldn't imagine having never met. Cherish your freshman year, once it's over time flies by and you're graduating.

I am a third year Photography student and I haven't regretted my decision once that Longwood was the school for me. Most people don't realize what our art program has and how talented a lot of the students are. We have a brand new building and all new equipment that makes it being an art major the best. The professors enjoy coming up with projects that will literally beat the creativity out of you. As a majority we turn into night owls and don't finish our work until the last minute. This is a trait that comes as a college student in itself but it's a different story when you have to do sculptures and prints. For the most part the professors are really helpful and the good ones go above and beyond their job as a teacher. By the time you graduate you should have several exhibitions to put on your resume and there's the opportunity to work at the Longwood Center for Visual Arts that should be taken advantage of. You don't need a resume to get into the program and it's designed specifically so that they can assess you on the art you create while at school. That time each year is stressful but it really evaluates whether you're in the right field or not.

Go to Longwood! It'll be the best years of your life!
Wed, 10 Jul 2013 02:41:14 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/LCF_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Longwood for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/LCF_comments.html There are many positive things about Longwood University. The campus is beautiful, the people are incredibly friendly and helpful, and the faculty treat you more as a friend and colleague than an inf... Thu, 16 May 2013 10:08:23 GMT StudentsReview 1410-93910 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1410-93910 1410 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2014 3rd Year Neutral There are many positive things about Longwood University. The campus is beautiful, the people are incredibly friendly and helpful, and the faculty treat you more as a friend and colleague than an inferior. Most are always willing to talk with students about problems, whether school, class, or personal.

However, Longwood Administration is horrid. The communication between Administration and students is poor, and the planning of parking, especially for events, is beyond bad. Administration needs to work on their communication and parking around Longwood.
Thu, 16 May 2013 10:08:23 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/LCF_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about Longwood for Music Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/LCF_comments.html Longwood Helped prepare me in every way imaginable to be successful in a job not only in my major, but in any career I chose. I got hired on to my first job, directly related to my major two weeks bef... Thu, 07 Mar 2013 10:37:05 GMT StudentsReview 1410-92442 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1410-92442 1410 49 Music Education Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Positive Longwood Helped prepare me in every way imaginable to be successful in a job not only in my major, but in any career I chose. I got hired on to my first job, directly related to my major two weeks before I even graduated, and started the week after graduation. I stuck with the job for 3 years until budget cuts eliminated my position. The athletics department is constantly improving, and it is fun to keep up with Lancer Athletics as they make a splash on the national scene.

For a small town, there is plenty to do around Farmville, and Richmond is only an h our or so away. The Greek scene is fairly well developed, but the different organizations fo not exclude non-greeks and often encourage their involvement in Greek activities.

The very low student to faculty ratio means you can always go to your professors after class with any issue and get is resolved. I never had a class taught by a TA which to me was critical. I still keep in contact with many of my professors and can ask them for advice 7 years after graduation.

I am now on track to make 6 figures in the next year because Longwood helped cultivate me into a Citizen Leader
Thu, 07 Mar 2013 10:37:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/LCF_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Longwood for Journalismhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/LCF_comments.html School is very "cliquey." People r pretty snobby here and the school itself is far too invested in Greek life. Farmville is a very small, boring, and at times gross small town. It is not pleasant for ... Fri, 29 Jun 2012 11:19:31 GMT StudentsReview 1410-88148 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1410-88148 1410 20 Journalism Male Undergraduate Class 2013 4th Year Neutral School is very "cliquey." People r pretty snobby here and the school itself is far too invested in Greek life. Farmville is a very small, boring, and at times gross small town. It is not pleasant for many that attend Longwood. Good school overall but understand what you are signing up for before you attend. Do not let Longwood be your only option unless you really want to go there. Fri, 29 Jun 2012 11:19:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/LCF_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Longwood for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/LCF_comments.html If you are a transfer student, do NOT pick Longwood. The transfer students receive a one day orientation that, to be honest, is quite useless. Those in charge of this "orientation" have poorly planne... Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:19:31 GMT StudentsReview 1410-85348 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1410-85348 1410 17 English Female Undergraduate Class 2012 3rd Year Negative If you are a transfer student, do NOT pick Longwood. The transfer students receive a one day orientation that, to be honest, is quite useless. Those in charge of this "orientation" have poorly planned it out, and do not give the students useful information. They basically tell you how amazing Longwood is from 7am-4pm then abandon you to figure things out for yourself. At the end of this day you will be expected to sign up for classes, and will tell you to take things you will find out later you didn't actually need. People working in the school offices are incredibly rude when you go to them with questions, and make it obvious they could care less about the students. All in all, this university does not offer a good experience and displays a horrible lack of respect to the students who pay to go here.

As for the students, the vast majority are extremely snotty and cliquey. I attempted on numerous occasions my first year to be friendly and speak to people, since I was new and had no friends at the university. Everyone was incredibly rude, and half would just grunt or shoot me a dirty look when I simply tried to introduce myself. Even in the clubs I tried to join, people were very standoffish and did not seem to want you there unless you were already friends. Luckily, I happened to get two really great roommates my second semester here and met a few nice people through them. However, I do wish I had decided to transfer earlier, because the environment in classes and in the social aspect of the school is horrible. Longwood is full of individuals who are much too self absorbed, and ordinary people who believe themselves geniuses. Unless you arrive as a freshman and meet people through the extended freshman orientation, good luck meeting people.

As for the education aspect, the teachers have all been really friendly and accessible in my experience. There have been one or two exceptions, but for the most part the professors really want to see you succeed and are willing to help. The main problem I have is that the majority of students who go here are education majors, which leads to a lot of assumptions that we are ALL education majors from the teachers. This will lead to a lot of useless projects (for those who don't want to teach) due in class geared toward this assumption. It is also quite difficult to find an internship, which is required by the school. The department head recommended I do an internship with a certain instructor, then told him I could not do the internship only a few weeks before the semester ended, and I really did not have time to make alternate arrangements. Since the professors here really are great, he went above and beyond to help me find another professor to do the internship with. So, don't go to the higher ups. The professors here are where it's at.

If you want to spend your four years of college only focusing on your schoolwork, and leaving every weekend so you can do something other than go to Walmart or the movies, Longwood is for you. But, if you are not a typical thin, Caucasian, attractive sorority girl, or stereotypical frat boy, don't expect to find many friends. I feel I have gotten a decent education here, but I really do wish I had considered transferring after my first semester.
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:19:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/LCF_comments.html