StudentsReview - The University of Mary Washington - Life at UMW Copyright 2020 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/MWC_comments.html Life at UMW - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UMW for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/MWC_comments.html This school has horrible parties and a social scene that is extremely high school like and clique based. The students I met were almost all superficial or jerks and stuck in a high school kind of mind... Sat, 04 Jul 2020 01:44:05 GMT StudentsReview 1412-186404 1412-186404 1412 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Negative This school has horrible parties and a social scene that is extremely high school like and clique based. The students I met were almost all superficial or jerks and stuck in a high school kind of mindset. The administration is money hungry and does not care about the welfare of it's students. They will NOT help you get a job once you graduate, you are completely on your own, which I and my brother who has a disability experienced. Sat, 04 Jul 2020 01:44:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/MWC_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMW for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/MWC_comments.html My first year, the school was great. General chem kicked my butt and I lived in the worst of the worst of dorms, but I liked the school. My second year, I got injured, and was wheelchair bound. The un... Tue, 03 Nov 2015 07:58:52 GMT StudentsReview 1412-171625 1412-171625 1412 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Neutral My first year, the school was great. General chem kicked my butt and I lived in the worst of the worst of dorms, but I liked the school. My second year, I got injured, and was wheelchair bound. The university was not accommodating at all, and professors would not work with me about absences even though I was an A student. I was in and out of the hospital, and my advisor screwed me. She did not defend me, advise me, or stand up for me. I was (and still am) incredibly disappointed. If you are like me and may get injured or be wheelchair bound, look else where. Tue, 03 Nov 2015 07:58:52 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/MWC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UMW for Economicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/MWC_comments.html Overall, my experience at UMW has been positive and I would recommend it as an overall decent school to attend, but I will say that it is NOT going to be the right school for everyone. Having spent... Sun, 13 Sep 2015 09:39:28 GMT StudentsReview 1412-170881 1412-170881 1412 57 Economics Male Undergraduate Class 2016 3rd Year Positive Overall, my experience at UMW has been positive and I would recommend it as an overall decent school to attend, but I will say that it is NOT going to be the right school for everyone.

Having spent a semester at ODU myself and being very familiar with other schools (GWU, Georgetown, American, UVA, etc.) where friends have gone, I would say I have a decent perspective of where UMW falls in terms of student life and academics, relative to other nearby colleges.

UMW is not a difficult school to get accepted to, but oddly still seems to attract above average students who made the honor roll in high school and the coursework load coincides with this. Classes tend to be fast paced and challenging, so do not be deceived by the high acceptance rate.

My professors have all been great! Very passionate about their field of study and very accessible *if you take the initiative*. Expectations are high and in general, late submission isn't a thing and if it is then the point penalties are severe.

I've found that UMW has great faculty (both academic and administrative) and various resources, readily accessible, but only for those who take initiative and take it upon themselves to utilize them. It's easy to get on a first name basis with anyone here, but it's equally as easy to fly under the radar.

In terms of the student body - the school is small and can be "clicky." UMW will be a good fit if you fall into one of the following categories: 1) you're a social butterfly and don't mind putting yourself out there, 2) you're an introvert and don't need many friends, or 3) you play a sport. You either need to be extroverted enough to go out and make friends or be on an athletic team, in which case you basically inherit a team of "friends." Otherwise, students are friendly and polite, but tend to stick to their preexisting group of friends.

UMW is NOT for anyone who wishes to have a party life on weekends! Seriously, do not attend UMW if keg parties and wandering from house party to house party is part of the "college life" you're envisioning. We don't have it and Fredericksburg doesn't offer very much nightlife to make up for it.

I will also say that UMW is pretty accepting of various races, sexual orientations, and so on, but it is NOT a diverse school. If you're comfortable and secure with your own race or sexuality (etc.) UMW will generally embrace you with open arms and you'll enjoy your experience here, but if you're still in the process of "finding yourself" then this likely isn't the place where you're going to do it.

Overall, there are plenty of complaints many students have about UMW, but in most cases, that's more about them not choosing the right school than it is about the school itself. UMW has a lot to offer and provides an excellent education for far less than what a lot of schools charge in tuition, but it simply is not for everyone.
Sun, 13 Sep 2015 09:39:28 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/MWC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMW for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/MWC_comments.html The school is fake. The majority of the Administration is a joke, they claim to care about all students in reality you have to try and be a teachers pet to get noticed. If you come off on the wrong fo... Tue, 21 Jul 2015 12:37:01 GMT StudentsReview 1412-163420 1412-163420 1412 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Class 2016 3rd Year Neutral The school is fake. The majority of the Administration is a joke, they claim to care about all students in reality you have to try and be a teachers pet to get noticed. If you come off on the wrong foot right off the bat, the professors and administrators do not care about you. The president claims he loves the school that is why only 25% of the school has seen him on campus. This school needs a lot of change and the administration is where it needs to start. Professors here play favorites. Tue, 21 Jul 2015 12:37:01 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/MWC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UMW for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/MWC_comments.html the friday before finals and the library STILL closes at 5 pm. This school just cuts corners to save money on everything at the expense of its students. It totally misrepresents itself to prospective ... Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:43:32 GMT StudentsReview 1412-160081 1412-160081 1412 0 Unknown Female Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Negative the friday before finals and the library STILL closes at 5 pm. This school just cuts corners to save money on everything at the expense of its students. It totally misrepresents itself to prospective students andmake it look like stuff happens on this campus and that their are soooo many satisfied people here by pushing a massive social media campaign and hiring advertising companies.

seriously, this school is the WORST.
Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:43:32 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/MWC_comments.html