StudentsReview - California State University Monterey Bay - Life at CSUMB/CSMB Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSS_comments.html Life at CSUMB/CSMB - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about CSUMB/CSMB for Computer Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSS_comments.html I came to CSUMB as a transfer student. The computer science program here is a joke. If you are a networking student, the program is severely neglected. Most of the classes are very software intensive,... Mon, 16 Jul 2018 10:15:21 GMT StudentsReview 142-183435 142-183435 142 12 Computer Science Male Undergraduate Class 2018 3rd Year Negative I came to CSUMB as a transfer student. The computer science program here is a joke. If you are a networking student, the program is severely neglected. Most of the classes are very software intensive, trying to get kids into coding. Anything applicable to networking starts with CST 412 (Network Administration), and that simply is not enough to get your CCNA. For those who did not get an internship or job experience, you are really screwed. The material they teach is very dated and mainly theory, nothing really applicable. The school pushes the concept "learn how to learn" where you essentially teach yourself. It makes sense that you will have to take the initiative to learn, but many teachers take advantage of this. Some teachers tend to duck out of class 30-60 min early, leaving you with busy work. Most are too lazy to write their own curriculum, so they will borrow material from Stanford or Cal Berkley. One teacher even said to us, "Hey, I know it is my first time teaching architecture in 15 years, but at least you guys are doing the same stuff as Cal and Stanford students." I have worked for about a year on the outside through internships and private IT work, and many in the workplace expect that should I know certain concepts such as routing, but I don't. What you do in the workplace and school is so different. These teachers act like they know what they are talking about, but they really don't. They are stuck in a time where the technology they know, is practically obsolete. Don't make the same mistake I made by going here. You'll get your moneys worth by either enrolling in another university or getting your certifications through a boot camp. Mon, 16 Jul 2018 10:15:21 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSS_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about CSUMB/CSMB for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSS_comments.html This school wants to trap you here forever. They don't want you to graduate they want you to endlessly spend money here. The counselors are mean and don't care about the students. The Campus is a nigh... Thu, 12 Apr 2018 05:58:39 GMT StudentsReview 142-183026 142-183026 142 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2018 3rd Year Negative This school wants to trap you here forever. They don't want you to graduate they want you to endlessly spend money here. The counselors are mean and don't care about the students. The Campus is a nightmare. They have closed down a ton of parking lots screwing over their commuter students. Most of the commuters are because this school has horrible on campus housing and screws over their students. I was told a month before transferring that I would have to find a place to live. You have to get to class at least an hour early if you want to find parkign and pnly be 10 minutes late to class. Otherwise you can park in a parking lot way on the outskirts and hike your way to class. IF you decide to come here check out what your major requirements are first because they will make you take classes that will overwork you and stress you out and that you will never use again. This school has made me so stressed out that the only good thing I have to say is about the mental health availability. This school has caused me to have several anxiety attacks monthly and brought back my depression. I am far from the only. Don't go here. Thu, 12 Apr 2018 05:58:39 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSS_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about CSUMB/CSMB for Computer Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSS_comments.html Compsci program is utter garbage. Everything you learn is either too basic or too old to be of any use. Don't go here for computer science period. I recall a time in my first semester when I realized ... Sun, 12 Mar 2017 02:38:41 GMT StudentsReview 142-179202 142-179202 142 12 Computer Science Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Negative Compsci program is utter garbage. Everything you learn is either too basic or too old to be of any use. Don't go here for computer science period. I recall a time in my first semester when I realized that the school was shit, and I asked my professor "Will this class get any harder? Because right now I'm sleeping through it" and got the answer "No, this is just how the curriculum is" with an understanding expression. Even he knew how bad the program was. Literally nothing I learned here has been relevant to the scarce few interviews I've managed to scrounge from the scraps left behind by those who don't have toilet paper degrees, and I've been left looking like an idiot more than once for not knowing things that supposedly "Every decent computer science program teaches".

If you think that's bad, consider too that I was in the Software Engineering concentration, which is the most fleshed out. Anyone in Networking and Security is double screwed because you don't get any certs and you learn nothing of use until CST412, and by then it's too late to cram an entire education into a one semester class.
Sun, 12 Mar 2017 02:38:41 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSS_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about CSUMB/CSMB for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSS_comments.html Let me start by saying that CSUMB is a fairly nice school. I am a Junior here at CSUMB majoring in Human Communications (English Literature). The best things about CSUMB, honestly, are the pric... Tue, 02 Jun 2015 09:02:10 GMT StudentsReview 142-162015 142-162015 142 17 English Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive Let me start by saying that CSUMB is a fairly nice school.

The best things about CSUMB, honestly, are the price (VERY cheap in comparison to other CSUs) and the quality of education. Throughout my General Ed courses and some of my major courses, I have only had one bad professor out of sixteen. Oh, and the dorm rooms are massive, the internet is crazy fast, and everyone gets cable. All dorms are equipped with their own bathrooms too, which is really convenient and offers privacy.

The worst things are the campus life and the campus aesthetics. There is a student center, but there isn't really much going on anywhere. The campus is built on an old military base, so there are still tons of old decrepit buildings around the perimeter of campus. Because of that, the campus is sort of offputting once you leave the central quad area. Also, the campus really needs an update on lighting. Believe me, the famous Monterey fog and the rain are awesome, but not at night where you can't see more than 15 feet around you... It's literally like a scene from Silent Hill.

Lots of expansion has happened recently. The library was built 5 years before I came to campus, the Science building was finished a bit before the library, and the Business and Information Technology building will be opening this Fall (2015). On top of that, the new Student Union building is set to be done in 2017 (right after I leave, which stinks). As negative as I was being about the campus earlier, it is apparent that they are trying to improve the quality/aesthetics of the campus.

The food selection is actually fairly good for a campus this size. There are 5 places to get food around campus (2 are coffee shops) with late hours (the Otter Express is open till midnight). That being said, the food selection isn't all that great and gets old after a while.

The surrounding area is extremely gorgeous if you know where to go. Carmel, the city of Monterey, and Pacific Grove are all really nice and there is tons of stuff to do in the area. Maybe that's why the school itself still looks and feels so bland.

Some notes:
-Make friends early. Seriously. I have a great network of friends since my roommates forced me to get out often. The dorms are superb for freshman because they allow communities to form.(75% of my friends were on the same floor as me during my Freshman year). After your freshman year, though, it is a lot harder to make friends since everyone is already off in their own groups.
-Bring a car. If you are lucky enough to have one, just bring it. CSUMB is one of the few schools that allows Freshman to have a car. Parking is a pain sometimes, but it is worth it.
-You can change majors. It is easy as long as you do it before Junior year. I was a Computer Science major and changed to Human Communications without a hitch.
Tue, 02 Jun 2015 09:02:10 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSS_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about CSUMB/CSMB for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSS_comments.html CSUMB is a good school. Not great, not perfeect, but I feel like I will have earned my degree by the time I graduate. Communication at the school is poor. I always feel like I have to jump through hoo... Wed, 01 Oct 2014 07:46:17 GMT StudentsReview 142-139097 142-139097 142 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Advice CSUMB is a good school. Not great, not perfeect, but I feel like I will have earned my degree by the time I graduate. Communication at the school is poor. I always feel like I have to jump through hoops in order to make payments, file papers and get things done. I don't think the system is particularly organized, but as long as you are proactive you will be ok. It is a school with a lot of history since it used to be an army base. And being close to downtown Monterey is a treat. Over all a good school- make sure you talk to some departments of majors you are intrested in before you attend. Common majors are Marine Science, Kinesology, and TAT (film). Wed, 01 Oct 2014 07:46:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CSUSS_comments.html