StudentsReview - Virginia Commonwealth University - Life at VCU Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html Life at VCU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about VCU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html Entering my final semester at VCU and I think I finally have come to like my school. Being in the department of Biology you come across a lot of interesting people and a lot of different things. There... Fri, 08 Jan 2016 09:02:12 GMT StudentsReview 1426-172337 1426-172337 1426 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2016 4th Year Positive Entering my final semester at VCU and I think I finally have come to like my school. Being in the department of Biology you come across a lot of interesting people and a lot of different things. There's tons of premeds here and they love to complain about how hard classes are and how professors are out to get them when that isn't really the case at all. The classes will only be as hard as you make them. I agree with much of the teaching methods here, you're getting a degree in biology, no you will not be treated special just because you're premed, you still need to take ecology and animal and plant courses etc. If you're planning to go to medschool you better be able to handle this coursework and whats required of you. I think far too many people selected this program at this school simply because they assumed they'd pick up an easy BS degree and things would go smoothly from there, sorry no, that is not how it works,you have to work for what you want to achieve and that's the way it should be. Really my only complaint about my degree is the gen eds were pretty useless. Core material and major courses have been fun for me and I have had some great professors. I entered this school despising chemistry and I'm leaving it with a minor in chemistry and a new love for the subject, I'm so in love with the biology coursework I've done I don't even know what I want to do when I go on to grad school as I've come to adore ecology and environmental sciences and I never thought I would. I have professors willing to write letters of recommendation for me, professors who will look at my resume and help me when applying for jobs, and professors who open doors and offer positions in labs to gain relevant experience while still in undergrad so lately faculty has been extrmely helpful. Things haven't always been easy, I did struggle and I did doubt this school and myself, but I have had to work my tail off to raise my GPA and improve my work ethic and my hard work has paid off and I'm a happier and more successful student now and I'll be proud of my degree when I'm finished here. I love VCU and I wouldn't go anywhere else given the chance because this school and these professors and faculty have helped me find what I truly love and what I want to do with my life and I'm forever grateful. Fri, 08 Jan 2016 09:02:12 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about VCU for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html Let me first off start by saying that 1) There are ENTIRELY too many students at VCU and the traffic and parking are horrendous. 2) Too many self-absorbed professors who seem to only care about themse... Wed, 18 Nov 2015 02:37:21 GMT StudentsReview 1426-171774 1426-171774 1426 0 Unknown Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Negative Let me first off start by saying that 1) There are ENTIRELY too many students at VCU and the traffic and parking are horrendous. 2) Too many self-absorbed professors who seem to only care about themselves and not teaching the students (a few good ones, though) 3) The safety is not what I thought it would be. If it weren't for all the witnesses and emergency call boxes around, then you're pretty much screwed. 4)There seem to be a reasonable amount of immature and ignorant *students* who think they are all that and if you do not agree with their line of thinking then you are automatically looked down on (or taunted). Multiculturalism is great, but they put too much of an emphasis on it and not enough on campus safety and other important aspects. Will NOT return to this school. A Private institution is what I should've went by in the first place. Faculty and students are much more caring and friendlier than the ones at public institutions. Wed, 18 Nov 2015 02:37:21 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about VCU for Perfomance Artshttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html VCU is amazing and I would not be succeeding as much as I am now if I had ended up anywhere else. VCU is not a school in a 'college town' where the town mainly exists because of the college. Instead, ... Tue, 17 Nov 2015 03:19:39 GMT StudentsReview 1426-171758 1426-171758 1426 43 Perfomance Arts Female Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Positive VCU is amazing and I would not be succeeding as much as I am now if I had ended up anywhere else. VCU is not a school in a 'college town' where the town mainly exists because of the college. Instead, it is a bright and interesting city where the college also resides. There are tons of murals, great places to eat, and the diversity is present with more than just race, but styles, social class, and economic class, creating a unique and easily customizable environment. Anyone who comes to the school at VCU can find their niche if they are determined. Is you are more social/driven/leadership interested, join greek life. If you are more artistic, then you can attend performances, art shows, and go to see bands, etc. There is something for everyone and people in between. Tue, 17 Nov 2015 03:19:39 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about VCU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html I was an instate student going to VCU. I had some friends coming into VCU, however most of them did not stay my friends. Overall I really liked my professors and thought the faculty was great. I was ... Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:01:45 GMT StudentsReview 1426-162372 1426-162372 1426 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative I was an instate student going to VCU. I had some friends coming into VCU, however most of them did not stay my friends. Overall I really liked my professors and thought the faculty was great. I was in the business school, which was excellent and most people in the school of business were nice and friendly. However, once you stepped outside the business school, the people were very unfriendly. They would look down at you as you walked by. In my whole year of college at VCU it was not pleasant. The friends that I made eventually transferred. This meant that throughout VCU I was mostly lonely. There is not much to do if you don't go to parties on the weekends. VCU was also full of immature snobs. It was hard making friends if you are somewhat quiet. My thought leaving high school was, that I would be able to move away from the high school drama and the annoying people. However, that stayed with you at VCU. The students did not care about their grades, and seemed that nobody ever exercised. These are two things that I care most about. If you go to VCU, prepare to be lonely. If you go to school in a city, sometimes it's the loneliest place. If you care about academics and being around smart and kind people, then VCU is defiantly not for you! Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:01:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about VCU for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html VCU is a massive school that can't help but homogenize it's students. I am a 19 year old freshman in the AFO program. My first impressions of VCU was blinded by the status it's art program. I felt tha... Sun, 28 Dec 2014 01:49:27 GMT StudentsReview 1426-155634 1426-155634 1426 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Advice VCU is a massive school that can't help but homogenize it's students. I am a 19 year old freshman in the AFO program. My first impressions of VCU was blinded by the status it's art program. I felt that jumping into the AFO program (with 13 credits) was even too fast paced and not a good adjustment for a freshman. The demand and quick pace restricted creativity and a smooth transition. Most of the art classes are overpopulated by girls, and the teachers had so many students to handle, they failed to recognize any outliers.

As a university outside the art school, VCU is a college town filled with horribly immature students trying to fit in. I felt it to be very cold and unwelcoming.

I am a simple student who wants to attend a school with a real community. VCU is too big a school. Even if you find a group of wonderful people, you will still have to deal with uneducated and immature locals and students.
Sun, 28 Dec 2014 01:49:27 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html