StudentsReview - Virginia Commonwealth University - Life at VCU Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html Life at VCU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about VCU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html I was an instate student going to VCU. I had some friends coming into VCU, however most of them did not stay my friends. Overall I really liked my professors and thought the faculty was great. I was ... Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:01:45 GMT StudentsReview 1426-162372 1426-162372 1426 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative I was an instate student going to VCU. I had some friends coming into VCU, however most of them did not stay my friends. Overall I really liked my professors and thought the faculty was great. I was in the business school, which was excellent and most people in the school of business were nice and friendly. However, once you stepped outside the business school, the people were very unfriendly. They would look down at you as you walked by. In my whole year of college at VCU it was not pleasant. The friends that I made eventually transferred. This meant that throughout VCU I was mostly lonely. There is not much to do if you don't go to parties on the weekends. VCU was also full of immature snobs. It was hard making friends if you are somewhat quiet. My thought leaving high school was, that I would be able to move away from the high school drama and the annoying people. However, that stayed with you at VCU. The students did not care about their grades, and seemed that nobody ever exercised. These are two things that I care most about. If you go to VCU, prepare to be lonely. If you go to school in a city, sometimes it's the loneliest place. If you care about academics and being around smart and kind people, then VCU is defiantly not for you! Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:01:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about VCU for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html VCU is a massive school that can't help but homogenize it's students. I am a 19 year old freshman in the AFO program. My first impressions of VCU was blinded by the status it's art program. I felt tha... Sun, 28 Dec 2014 01:49:27 GMT StudentsReview 1426-155634 1426-155634 1426 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Advice VCU is a massive school that can't help but homogenize it's students. I am a 19 year old freshman in the AFO program. My first impressions of VCU was blinded by the status it's art program. I felt that jumping into the AFO program (with 13 credits) was even too fast paced and not a good adjustment for a freshman. The demand and quick pace restricted creativity and a smooth transition. Most of the art classes are overpopulated by girls, and the teachers had so many students to handle, they failed to recognize any outliers.

As a university outside the art school, VCU is a college town filled with horribly immature students trying to fit in. I felt it to be very cold and unwelcoming.

I am a simple student who wants to attend a school with a real community. VCU is too big a school. Even if you find a group of wonderful people, you will still have to deal with uneducated and immature locals and students.
Sun, 28 Dec 2014 01:49:27 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about VCU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html The biology and chemistry department sets students up to fail. For example, the practice questions in lecture or homework will be 1+1= (not difficult), and the questions they ask you on exams will res... Fri, 24 Oct 2014 06:44:56 GMT StudentsReview 1426-151007 1426-151007 1426 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2015 5th Year Negative The biology and chemistry department sets students up to fail. For example, the practice questions in lecture or homework will be 1+1= (not difficult), and the questions they ask you on exams will resemble derivatives in calculus. There are professors that add additional chapters to exams without notifying the students, and will claim that the students were responsible for reading that chapter on their own. There are multiple mid/upper level courses that have a 40-60% fail rate, and exams where the class average is less than 50% and the professor wont curve. Ultimately, if you are a science major, odds are that you will have to take Organic Chemistry. The O-Chem professors at VCU are absolutely terrible to the point that half of them don't even lecture, they assign group work and you do worksheets together during class time. If you want to be a science major and go to grad/med/dental etc afterwards, do yourself a favor and avoid VCU. Fri, 24 Oct 2014 06:44:56 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about VCU for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html I'm not a city person. That being said I really love Richmond, there's so much to do you will never be bored if you're open to exploring and trying new things. I was afraid that VCU classes would be e... Mon, 20 Oct 2014 03:52:48 GMT StudentsReview 1426-147978 1426-147978 1426 0 Unknown Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Neutral I'm not a city person. That being said I really love Richmond, there's so much to do you will never be bored if you're open to exploring and trying new things. I was afraid that VCU classes would be easy, boring, and wouldn't challenge me because it's not a top ranking school but I was pleasantly surprised by how perfect this school is academically for me. I feel like I am preparing well for grad school and know that VCU is on it's way up! Mon, 20 Oct 2014 03:52:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about VCU for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html This is from my perspective of my 2012-2013 freshman school year. I've transferred to VCU since then. I took mostly gen ed's while I was there, with the exception of beginner programming, precalculus,... Sat, 11 Oct 2014 04:39:06 GMT StudentsReview 1426-142135 1426-142135 1426 53 Other Male Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Neutral This is from my perspective of my 2012-2013 freshman school year. I've transferred to VCU since then. I took mostly gen ed's while I was there, with the exception of beginner programming, precalculus, and Information Technology.

Pros: Beautiful campus, beautiful scenery, beautiful during spring especially, fishing, great professor-to-student ratio. good nursing program, professors are competent and will work with you, cheapest state school in VA, close to Tech

Cons:
High school 2.0
Very depressing town full of obese people
A majority of the first year students are northern Virginian kids who only care about drinking and getting C grades. Greek life is huge here, and you are looked down at if you aren't apart.
Seriously, if you don't enjoy the party lifestyle, you will feel left out, but that is more a personal problem.
I couldn't tell you how many other freshman I met who were just not prepared to be adults.
In summary, a bunch of sluts and brain dead greek heads.

Also, Radford is in the process of repositioning themselves so there has been more police crackdown on parties and Quadfest.

True story: The first time I partied was on Halloween and it got busted, and then I had to pay $400 in fees to the university.
Sat, 11 Oct 2014 04:39:06 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html