StudentsReview - Virginia Commonwealth University - Life at VCU Copyright 2017 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html Life at VCU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about VCU for Sociologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html I wish I had transferred to another college. Majority of VCU students are self absorbed,and stuck up. When I first transferred the student body was nice but now its a different story entirely. If you ... Wed, 17 May 2017 04:52:46 GMT StudentsReview 1426-179836 1426-179836 1426 50 Sociology Female Undergraduate Class 2017 4th Year Negative I wish I had transferred to another college. Majority of VCU students are self absorbed,and stuck up. When I first transferred the student body was nice but now its a different story entirely. If you have different views than your professor or classmate you are harassed and bullied. The professors are extremely liberally biased so if you show any deviation from their line of thinking you are marginalized even in terms of your grade. From engineering to humanities professors could care less about your success.

Students dress vulgar and look like circus freaks. Girls dress scantily clad with tattoos all over and they don't look or sound scholastic. Professors and students curse during class time and discussions are pointless and anti-intellectual. They don't care about you you are just a name and number. They waste tax payer money with more buildings but give nothing of value in terms of skills or guidance to the job market. My life is better not worse going to the college. Professors are scam artists especially in the humanities keep catering to their own self interests and students are just a name and a number and treated like cattle. I hate this place.
Wed, 17 May 2017 04:52:46 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about VCU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html Academics are average but that is not the reason why I am unhappy........ Before coming here, I thought the student body would generally be friendly but they are not. People here are really rude in... Tue, 29 Nov 2016 09:03:03 GMT StudentsReview 1426-177048 1426-177048 1426 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Negative Academics are average but that is not the reason why I am unhappy........

Before coming here, I thought the student body would generally be friendly but they are not. People here are really rude in my opinion and as a result, has not made my experience here at VCU happy. Don't get me wrong, there are genuinely nice people here. But I did not expect there to be so many closed off kids. I tried to join some clubs on campus and some of the kids would ignore me like I wouldn't exist.
Tue, 29 Nov 2016 09:03:03 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about VCU for Criminalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html Only go to this school if you absolutely have to. If you're not an art or med student, the programs can be really hit or miss. Don't get me wrong, there are a few really great departments (mine is), b... Mon, 10 Oct 2016 09:19:07 GMT StudentsReview 1426-176177 1426-176177 1426 44 Criminal Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative Only go to this school if you absolutely have to. If you're not an art or med student, the programs can be really hit or miss. Don't get me wrong, there are a few really great departments (mine is), but others... not so much. Like others have said, VCU is a money machine and you are nothing more than a number to them to take cash from into their pockets, taking no thought to allocate that money to academics and departments. The administration is useless and leaves you to basically handle everything on your own, you might as well talk to a brick wall if you even think about going to them for help with anything. The school is far too crowded, as it accepts all the leftovers and rejects who couldn't get in any other university... these are the same people who slacked off in high school and you can definitely tell. The student body is depressingly full of underacheivers (who allows these people into a university in the first place is beyond me), who are closed off, cliqey and in their own bubble. There is no school spirit whatsoever.Kiss the idea of a typical college town experience goodbye if you come here. I hate the campus and Richmond with a passion-- dirty, eyesore, disgusting, cramped, crime ridden, full of sh*tty people, overall not the best place to be. If you care about a quality education, good individual value, and a real college experience, you might want to look elsewhere. Mon, 10 Oct 2016 09:19:07 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about VCU for Chemistryhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html Here's the thing. I transferred from JTCC with an associate of science but never did I expect to have to take so many ridiculous courses that clearly the university is making everyone from freshman to... Fri, 30 Sep 2016 10:05:16 GMT StudentsReview 1426-175987 1426-175987 1426 9 Chemistry Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Negative Here's the thing. I transferred from JTCC with an associate of science but never did I expect to have to take so many ridiculous courses that clearly the university is making everyone from freshman to upperclassmen take just to make a profit and have more money in their pockets. My program was very cut dry and the professors weren't friendly or helpful at all. Their main concerns were research and acquiring tenure. Honestly, this university focuses mainly on their art students but fails to address how they handle anything in each department. The main concern of mine was how these professors and science programs are more about how much you can retain based off 400+ PowerPoint slides and that's a sad thing to witness having graduated. I failed to gain anything helpful by the time I was about to graduate and after having sent multiple resumes to every company/agency with the rising cost of the education that I sacrificed everything on I still haven't obtained a decent paying job within any field at all. I'm extremely disappointed with this institution and it's greediness. Fri, 30 Sep 2016 10:05:16 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about VCU for Criminalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html You hear so much about VCU having top notch art, engineering, and medical programs, and that if you major in anything else you're better off attending a different school. Not always the case; I came h... Mon, 26 Sep 2016 08:12:03 GMT StudentsReview 1426-175898 1426-175898 1426 44 Criminal Female Undergraduate Class 2017 4th Year Neutral You hear so much about VCU having top notch art, engineering, and medical programs, and that if you major in anything else you're better off attending a different school. Not always the case; I came here because it does also have one of the top criminal justice programs on the east coast. However it is pretty much also the ONLY reason I chose to come here. It is possible to find your niche here, and as long as you apply yourself (I guess that really goes for any college), it provides you a decent academic career.

Different departments seem completely independent of each other, and have their own standards, processes, and efficiency. I really haven't heard too many good things about other departments when students try to work with them. Still, there are others that are exceptional and exceed some standards. In my department, the administrators and faculty here are all wonderful, and make an effort to help and work with each of the students.

The social life here can suck, particularly if you are a transfer student like me. Thankfully, I've joined an up and coming organization that provides me a decent social outlet. You can easily make friends with those in your major, more so once you get into your core classes. People here are nice, but I've found most to not be always be so approachable; it seems as if much of the student body is sheltered and chooses to keep to themselves rather than make an effort to socialize and forge friendships. Organizations are there,but not too big. Greek life here is a joke, it compromises only about 7 percent of the entire student population, and you rarely see or hear about anything they do as far as events and community service. Many people come together as friends from the same high schools, and can be pretty cliquey. The nightlife in Richmond is decent, but nothing special; there are bars if you're 21 and up and can afford to go out to them, and there are a few clubs (and I mean just a few) that are merely decent. On campus parties can be pretty overrated, usually frat parties full of underage kids within the greek bubble and cheap alcohol, they also usually get busted by the campus police before midnight. There are some good parties where you can have a truly good time and meet new people, but they are few and far in between, you have to look for them. Also, be exceptionally careful at night and use common sense, as crime happens directly on campus on a regular basis.

About the city of Richmond itself, I personally I find this place to be gross, dirty, depressing, and full of degenerates. VCU definitely does not have the feel of a college town like most other universities in the state, more so it's intermingled with the brick, concrete, and lack of green space that the city itself is. There are some nice parts outside of the downtown area and off campus that provide sufficient entertainment and time killing, so long as you have a means of transportation to get to and from them. If you're a city person who can always somehow find an adventure, you just might like it here.

Overall, VCU is a decent school depending on which program you're getting into. But some aspects of the academics and departments, and definitely the student body and social life around here, all just leave so much to be desired.
Mon, 26 Sep 2016 08:12:03 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VCU_comments.html