StudentsReview - Virginia Wesleyan College - Life at VWC Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VWC_comments.html Life at VWC - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about VWC for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VWC_comments.html WELL LET ME BEGIN! I completed one year at VWC and transferred to VT. My year at VWC compared to the experience I have no is completely different. I hated VWC and so did most people who went there (a ... Fri, 04 Dec 2015 12:01:45 GMT StudentsReview 1431-171922 1431-171922 1431 58 Political Science Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative WELL LET ME BEGIN! I completed one year at VWC and transferred to VT. My year at VWC compared to the experience I have no is completely different. I hated VWC and so did most people who went there (a majority want to transfer) not only was the campus small and unattractive but it felt very drag and depression inducing. I knew I wanted to transfer about a month in once I realized how terrible the school was. I even found myself embarrassed to say I was a VWC student when I was outside of the Campus. Also, the campus is very boring and you need a car to have fun. You feel trapped if you don?t have a car. Also, the academic is a joke and having that on your resume automatically puts you at a disadvantaged compared to someone who went another school. The athletics.... only thing they have is basketball and let?s be real its D3 and no one gives a fuck about D3 basketball or any other D3 sport for that matter. Should I even mention the basketball court looks like a high school gym along with the whole school. Its a glorified high school with glorified varsity athletes. Moving on, the social life, you party with the same people in V4 at the same house. Greek life, suchhhhh a joke like it kind of makes me laugh (especially when compared to my school). Campus life, the WAC (activates council) does a good job of putting on mediocre and highschool-like events that have little turn out because quite frankly they are lame. Not their fault though, lack of funding is a bitch and that stupid because think about the amount of tuition you pay.... All and all please don?t waste your time and money by going to this school! Take my word for it, I tried giving it a chance but there were too many negatives and now that I?m at VT I regret not coming to a school like this earlier on! If you're an athlete, don?t let this school suck you in. Athletics there are notorious for going for athletes with little to no other offers and that?s how they pull you in... D3 COLLEGE SPORTS ARE NOT WORTH IT just go to a D1 school and play club or something idk. Also if you have shit grades and couldn't get in anywhere else but refuse to go to comm college DONT GO TO VWC ITS NOT WORTH IT JUST SUCK IN UR PRIDE AND GO TO COMM. COLLEGE FOR A YEAR AND GET THE GRADE TO TRANSFER. Honestly only good thing about that school was the people (and you can find great people at any school). Just trying to help you out!!!!! :) Fri, 04 Dec 2015 12:01:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VWC_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about VWC for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VWC_comments.html The school is small so the class sizes are pretty small which makes it easy to build a better relationship with classmates and professors. Most professors are really nice and will help you and are eas... Wed, 21 Jan 2015 04:13:58 GMT StudentsReview 1431-156626 1431-156626 1431 17 English Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Neutral The school is small so the class sizes are pretty small which makes it easy to build a better relationship with classmates and professors. Most professors are really nice and will help you and are easy to schedule appointments with. There is not much around the area so I would recommend having a car or making friends with someone who does. However it is not worth the money you will pay to go there. The dorms are not very nice because they spend money renovating everything else. Looking at other schools i realized that I could pay $30,000 less and get a better quality education and dorm. Wed, 21 Jan 2015 04:13:58 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VWC_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about VWC for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VWC_comments.html This being my first year at the college is so far proving to be a disappointment. I am taking 3 classes and only one is actually worth attending. The other two are simply put, glorified book clubs tha... Wed, 12 Mar 2014 02:27:18 GMT StudentsReview 1431-103323 1431-103323 1431 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Advice This being my first year at the college is so far proving to be a disappointment. I am taking 3 classes and only one is actually worth attending. The other two are simply put, glorified book clubs that are lead by lazy professors. The Geography professor Peter Anderson is amazing he introduces the material even though at times it can be dry he still makes it so you learn the material. I wish the same could be said for my 349 and 313 history classes. Both teachers just assign books (5 books for HIS 349 and 12 for HIS 313) both teachers told us to skip read and to just talk about how we felt about the reading in class, they also added more readings to the class as they went. Mostly the readings are busy work and hold no real purpose. If you are looking to learn something from either of these classes about history don't hold your breath. The books are not text books, they are random selections the teacher picks and in the case of my HIS 313 with Dr. Margolis he wants a book (one of which he wrote.)a week read they are between 300-400 pages and then he will assign a project of reviewing the harpers magazines and doing a 5 page paper and presentation. (this is just busy work but, it is the closest you will get to learning anything about the 19th century from this class.) The class will include 3 book reports just stating your view of the book and what you think the authors argument was. Pretty much you spend the class randomly chatting about the book, even if you didn't read the book it would not matter you would get about the same information that is not being tested anyways. Half the class has just stopped showing up and those that do are just treating it as a book club and no one is taking it seriously at this point. Everyone is pretty unhappy with the class. The teacher is a nice guy, very smart, and knows his history, Now if he could just learn how to teach his class and share the knowledge that would be great. You will not learn facts or dates of significant events, I learned more about history in my 100 level classes at TCC. I was expecting that going for my BA would give me more education and information on history but, Highly disappointed and honestly if this were a real business, I would be getting a refund for a defective product. I am wanting to teach history and these two 300 level history classes are a waste of time and money. The history 349 with Dr. Casey is only 5 books and then discussion boards, and random readings. She also had student lead discussions that basically have the students teaching the class based on how they feel about what was read in the books and online readings. Don't worry again no real relevant information or real learning involved. She will test you on key terms from the readings which she will not really give you clear definitions on nor always tell you what they are but, she will expect you to know them and tell her what she is thinking those answers should be word for word. This class to is a glorified book club, we were told from day one to learn to skim/skip read the books and pick out the important information. There are several students that have not even read more than 10 pages of these books and they are still passing with an A. This class is also being taken as a joke by the students, and other students are simply annoyed with the whole thing. Present company included. The HIS 349 teacher is also very smart and seems to know a lot about the her field but, again can not seem to communicate it to others. (so kind of pointless to teach) Both history teachers don't seem to care about much of what the students are getting out of their class since they have both already achieved their doctorates the rest is irrelevant. I have spoke to both teachers both replied this is just how upper level classes are and to get use to it. I have turned in 2 papers 8 weeks ago to one professor and found out he does actually know where they are and has seen them just has not actually read nor graded them. His actual response was; "I guess students won't think it is worth doing the work since I don't grade them right away or even look at them but, I will get around to it sooner or later." (Some days I feel like I am on an episode of punked)I have spoke to the advisor and she said she will bring it up to her boss. The advisors seem to want to be helpful and caring. They are very nice and attentive. They are much better here than TCC, now if I could just find teachers here in the history department as good as the TCC ones that would be great. My advisor says she is going to look into it and also check into classes before recommending them for me to take for next semester, she apologized for these teachers and asked that I not judge the school on these two out of three teachers. Hope fully I will get more teachers like the Geography teacher and that this semesters teachers are just a fluke. Still I am very unimpressed with the way the history classes are here. I love history and these professors are making it very hard to want to continue to pursue the degree at this college. The campus is pretty nice, the student center is great, and the layout is nice. I feel safe on campus and in the buildings. It is not a bad school, just some bad teaching skills by the history teachers. On a good note, I have heard other students say that there are indeed some good history teachers at this school and I hope that I find myself in those classes for my remaining time here at Wesleyan. Wed, 12 Mar 2014 02:27:18 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VWC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about VWC for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VWC_comments.html The small campus is beautiful, plenty of trees, flowers, and brick buildings. Walks to class are short, and the community is close knit. Walking around I see people I know everywhere and feel welcome ... Mon, 21 Oct 2013 06:13:32 GMT StudentsReview 1431-96601 1431-96601 1431 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive The small campus is beautiful, plenty of trees, flowers, and brick buildings. Walks to class are short, and the community is close knit. Walking around I see people I know everywhere and feel welcome no matter what part of campus I am on. Overall a great place to be and an easy place to make friends. Mon, 21 Oct 2013 06:13:32 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VWC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about VWC for Undecidedhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VWC_comments.html At a glance, VWC seems like a good university to attend, especially if you want to meet new people (Diversity!) and focus on you education. However after my first semester, I notice that there are a f... Sat, 19 Jan 2013 02:58:36 GMT StudentsReview 1431-91469 1431-91469 1431 52 Undecided Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Negative At a glance, VWC seems like a good university to attend, especially if you want to meet new people (Diversity!) and focus on you education. However after my first semester, I notice that there are a few things that the school never advertised before I applied. First, the school is not as diverse as I was told. Coming from a very diverse high school, I enjoyed meeting new people from different backgrounds. On the school's homepage, they advertised different photos of their "diverse campus" with people of all different backgrounds. But once on campus, I had never felt so out of place. Second, it is almost impossible to have a good social life on campus. There is virtually nothing to entertain students on campus, especially when most students do not have cars to leave campus, and life on campus can be really boring. Third, the campus is way too small! You can easily walk around the whole campus in less than 20 mins and its easy to get stir-crazy because there is no where to go if you have no transportation off campus.
While the campus is nice (if you want to be on a small campus), I do not think this school is ideal for students who really want to take advantage of their college experiences and have a lot of fun. The food on campus is decent at first, but after a while the food gets old and you will want something else. But if students do now have cars, they are stuck with the 2 food options that are offered on campus. The professors here are pretty friendly and most are easy to talk to, but the college has more negatives than positives.
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 02:58:36 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/VWC_comments.html