StudentsReview - Washington and Lee University - Life at WLU Copyright 2017 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html Life at WLU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about WLU for Philosophyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html My four years at W&L led prepared me for a fantastic career. I was able to retire at age 44 from my primary job in IT and pursue a second career as an author and consultant in environmental policy.... Fri, 09 Sep 2016 12:16:22 GMT StudentsReview 1432-175515 1432-175515 1432 32 Philosophy Male Undergraduate Class 1982 4th Year Positive My four years at W&L led prepared me for a fantastic career. I was able to retire at age 44 from my primary job in IT and pursue a second career as an author and consultant in environmental policy. Fri, 09 Sep 2016 12:16:22 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about WLU for Philosophyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html I loved my experience at W&L, the professors were amazing, there was a lot of one-on-one, the library and other facilities on campus were great, staff in general is very warm and friendly. Nature in L... Fri, 22 May 2015 11:08:04 GMT StudentsReview 1432-161772 1432-161772 1432 32 Philosophy Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Positive I loved my experience at W&L, the professors were amazing, there was a lot of one-on-one, the library and other facilities on campus were great, staff in general is very warm and friendly. Nature in Lexington and around is beautiful.

I chose W&L because I wanted a quiet place to learn and this is exactly what I got from it. The study abroad experiences were also wonderful learning opportunities I will never forget.

The social life at the school is something I never understood or got into, it has always seemed very empty, and there is hardly an alternative. But the academic experience and the many professors whom I will never forget, more than made up for the lack of social life.
Fri, 22 May 2015 11:08:04 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about WLU for Undecidedhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html This place is unexpectedly amazing. The people are what really make it the best university. Just walking down the street there are friendly smiles and random hellos that really make you feel at home. ... Sat, 01 Nov 2014 03:29:08 GMT StudentsReview 1432-152562 1432-152562 1432 52 Undecided Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Positive This place is unexpectedly amazing. The people are what really make it the best university. Just walking down the street there are friendly smiles and random hellos that really make you feel at home. The night life here is absolutely awesome. Whether you are one to go out every night, or one to never go out, there is always something for you to do. Boredom is not a thing here, but hustle bustle is also not a thing. You are leisurely busy. However, before committing to this school, make sure you are prepared for extremely difficult classes, but if you are willing to put in the time it is worth while. Sat, 01 Nov 2014 03:29:08 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about WLU for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html I realize this is a long rant, but it is really honest and full of thought. ///// Almost everyone here is these five things: rich, southern, Republican, heavy drinkers, and worst of all, pitifully, ... Tue, 26 Aug 2014 05:26:12 GMT StudentsReview 1432-121757 1432-121757 1432 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Negative I realize this is a long rant, but it is really honest and full of thought.
/////
Almost everyone here is these five things: rich, southern, Republican, heavy drinkers, and worst of all, pitifully, utterly obsessed with their frat/sor. Those who aren't, like me, have a miserable time in the very blandly uniform environment.

The Greek-life obsession is what I dislike the most about this school. I'm not in a frat (surprise surprise), and it always annoys me when students who like W&L say to prospective 12th graders "even if you don't go Greek you'll have no problem fitting in" when they're in a frat/sor themselves along with all their "friends" (frats/sors are forced friendships, and those aren't real are they?). Prospective students will also hear "there's a million other things to do if you're not into Greek-life." I can't explain it well, but that's simply not true. It's sort of like those things are positive and do fill some downtime, but in the end, they're simply extra-curricular distractions to the fact that you're an outsider.

It is very lonely as an Independent, and the school's culture and mindset ensure that those like me are constantly reminded that we're weird, different, that we don't fit in. It feels like this: "hey, don't you just LOVE it here?" "not really, to be honest." ", what is WRONG with you?"

I thought 19-22 year olds would've grown out of 10th grade cliques.
/////
About the Honor Code: if you think about it, what does it say about the school when "We don't cheat" is one of the biggest, proudest slogans it has? Other schools have good standards of character without making a show of it, much less specially naming it ("Honor Code" looks good on brochures, I suppose).

About the Speaking Tradition: same thing as above - now saying hi to people is a big enough deal to be named and marketed? Besides, it only lasts for the first week of classes, thanks to the incoming freshmen who are repeatedly told to keep it during Orientation.
/////
Three last points: 1) I'm from California, and nobody in this college has heard of what students here boast as one of America's very best. 2) As a comp sci major, it's extremely hard to schedule classes because, as with many other majors who have low demand/limited staff, I only have one time slot per class for all of the classes I need to take. Double majoring in W&L might just be impossible depending on your Major/(class) interests. 3) Lexington is only 6000 people - nothing at all to do here. No mall, no bowling, no parks. Just one tiny theater and rather expensive restaurants. That's why people just drink and drink at nights.
/////
So please, if you are not just a person but an Individual, who has vibrant thoughts, ideas, opinions on life and America and the world, know that if you come to W&L you'll either compromise your identity to become part of the all-collective norm in order to fit in and enjoy yourself, or, choose to keep your Self and feel left out of not only W&L, but more importantly the college experience itself. I feel like I'm in a political ad here but I'm almost done: Choose Wisely. Don't Choose W&L.

PS, I really recommend reading the few other Negatives submitted here. They give an honest picture from other view points.
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 05:26:12 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about WLU for PreMed and Medicalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html To me Washington and Lee is the perfect balance between challenging, constructive academic learning and fun parties/girls. Everyone has a work hard mentality on campus during the day, but everyone is ... Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:21:35 GMT StudentsReview 1432-111208 1432-111208 1432 36 PreMed and Medical Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive To me Washington and Lee is the perfect balance between challenging, constructive academic learning and fun parties/girls. Everyone has a work hard mentality on campus during the day, but everyone is friendly and only competitive in a positive way. At night however, after the work is done for the day, the town lights up like you would never imagine. No one I know would dream of going to another university, and I know that this is the best place for me. Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:21:35 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html