StudentsReview - Washington and Lee University - Life at WLUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html Life at WLU - Comments en StudentsReview: Advice Review about WLU for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html I came into W&L thinking that it would be the greatest thing that ever happened to me. I grew up attending alumni events with my dad and fell in love with the school at a very young age. I fit the pro... Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:20:47 GMT StudentsReview 1432-95308 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1432-95308 1432 58 Political Science Female Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Advice I came into W&L thinking that it would be the greatest thing that ever happened to me. I grew up attending alumni events with my dad and fell in love with the school at a very young age. I fit the profile: white, well-off, southern, socially adjusted and smart. Freshman year was fun. Everything is new and all the upperclassman want to know you. You really do feel special. The novelty wears off sophomore year, however. I have become very bored with the social life. I'm in a very respected sorority and have tons of social opportunities, but I am very disappointed with the dynamics of the social scene. Girls are catty and boys always have an agenda with girls. The guys are pretty cool, but the girls are pretty blah-cool ones are few and far between. Its a lot like my high school. The social scene revolves around freshmen and sophomores. The older you get as a female, the less fun W&L becomes. I have also been very discouraged by professors and academics. Professors are generally arrogant and make you feel very small. W&L is a great school and has its perks. Lexington is beautiful, the alumni network is top notch, and I will say, no one knows how to have a good time quite like W&L students. My advice is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Its not going to be the perfect college experience you envisioned in high school. Sometimes its really great, but other times it really sucks. Even if you fit the profile, if you're not the cookie cutter "type-A" girl, good luck. Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:20:47 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about WLU for Undecidedhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html I LOVE W&L!!! As an international student, I don't feel isolated or adrift because most people here are really friendly and approachable, from students to professors to staffs. This is my first time ... Tue, 11 Sep 2012 03:56:55 GMT StudentsReview 1432-89401 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1432-89401 1432 52 Undecided Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Positive I LOVE W&L!!!
As an international student, I don't feel isolated or adrift because most people here are really friendly and approachable, from students to professors to staffs. This is my first time abroad, so friendliness is really important to me. And the school is so much more caring than I've expected! There is not only one but three orientations: international orientation (which is for international students like me), pre-orientation (one week of bonding and making friends who might become your BFFs), and orientation. These orientations help me become ready for college more than ever!
I have just begun my study for a few days, so I have nothing much to say about the academics. Yet I love my econ class soooooo much! Prof. Peter is soooo great!!!
Tue, 11 Sep 2012 03:56:55 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about WLU for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html If you come into W&L with preconceived notions about the other students and stick to them then you are not going to have a very good time here. You have to come into the school with an open mind and p... Sun, 11 Dec 2011 06:59:51 GMT StudentsReview 1432-83614 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1432-83614 1432 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2014 1st Year Positive If you come into W&L with preconceived notions about the other students and stick to them then you are not going to have a very good time here. You have to come into the school with an open mind and people will surprise you.
Yes the school has a large greek life. But it's not the typical frat and sorority dynamics that you would expect and if you truly do not want to go greek then you don't have to. Even if you don't you won't be excluded and isolated at all. Most of the parties (except for mixers between houses) are open to the rest of campus.
The professors and classes are really and truly amazing. You get the same top notch education you would get at any ivy league school but the classes are smaller and every one of your professors will know you.
I absolutely love this school and while it's not perfect it's pretty close.
Sun, 11 Dec 2011 06:59:51 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about WLU for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html I went to Washington & Lee a long time ago. I am not sure if I would recommend it. The students are of a higher caliber than the teaching staff. Right now, it is an extremely expensive school ($50K... Wed, 14 Sep 2011 06:50:58 GMT StudentsReview 1432-80998 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1432-80998 1432 53 Other Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Negative I went to Washington & Lee a long time ago. I am not sure if I would recommend it. The students are of a higher caliber than the teaching staff. Right now, it is an extremely expensive school ($50K) and it does not have a significant reputation. I would not recommend it. If you plan on majoring in business or political science, and you are more interested in the campus than the quality of instruction, then W&L is not a bad place. Wed, 14 Sep 2011 06:50:58 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/VA/WLU_comments.html