StudentsReview - Central Washington University - Life at CWU Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/WA/CWU_comments.html Life at CWU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about CWU for Geography and Geoscienceshttp://www.studentsreview.com/WA/CWU_comments.html I have been at Central for 3 years now, and the level of incompetence is staggering. This university doesn't care about it's students, and at times, seems to actively work against them.... Mon, 10 Dec 2018 12:29:01 GMT StudentsReview 1451-184012 1451-184012 1451 56 Geography and Geosciences Female Undergraduate Class 2019 3rd Year Negative I have been at Central for 3 years now, and the level of incompetence is staggering. This university doesn't care about it's students, and at times, seems to actively work against them. Mon, 10 Dec 2018 12:29:01 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/WA/CWU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about CWU for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/WA/CWU_comments.html After transferring here from Montana State, I was very disappointed. Way too much aggravation enrolling and extreme incompetence in administrative offices. I had to make endless phone calls to admissi... Sun, 09 Dec 2018 06:50:41 GMT StudentsReview 1451-184006 1451-184006 1451 17 English Female Undergraduate Class 1920 1st Year Negative After transferring here from Montana State, I was very disappointed. Way too much aggravation enrolling and extreme incompetence in administrative offices. I had to make endless phone calls to admissions, the registrar, and to the financial aid offices just to enroll. I got different instructions every time I called to ask questions. They tried to overcharge me by 2K. They always spoke to me as though I were mentally disabled until I threatened legal action. Then they handed my account asap.

When I transferred my credits, I thought they did some of the work, but no. They expected me to go through each class (about 80 credits worth) and write an essay to petition for credit. Isn't that their job? They do absolutely nothing for their salary.
I enrolled in a 400 level writing class that covered basic literature theory I took freshman year in 100 level classes. I could not believe that I had to learn about what a metaphor is again in an upper division class.
Then I had to take a bunch of BS classes like International Communication where a professor gave me an F on an APA paper with NO feedback or explanation. I had previously made the Dean's list every semester prior to attending CWU. The lowest grade I had ever earned on any paper was a B. When I pressed for feedback, I was told by the namby-pamby prof, I would have to meet with them. I'm online. I should not have to meet with a prof for feedback on a paper. That's why I pay tuition, for them to do their job.
Then, he gave exams that required the use of a lockdown browser that would not download. So stupid for an online exam because I can use another computer or phone to browse. I was told it wasn't his problem and that I should contact IT.
CWU was the worst experience I have had at any school. I only had one class where I felt that I learned something and that was a poetry class with Professor Maya Zeller. She was awesome, but the rest of my experiences at CWU were unpleasant.
Sun, 09 Dec 2018 06:50:41 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/WA/CWU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about CWU for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/WA/CWU_comments.html I studied to be a special education teacher. I earned one degree in the past despite having a learning disability, Dyslexia. I saw that I could help many people. Unfortunately, it was only clear un... Tue, 09 Oct 2018 05:50:43 GMT StudentsReview 1451-183764 1451-183764 1451 15 Education Male Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Negative I studied to be a special education teacher. I earned one degree in the past despite having a learning disability, Dyslexia. I saw that I could help many people. Unfortunately, it was only clear until after I spent 3 year going to the University that I had no chance of being endorsed and no chance being a teacher. I have no problem either succeeding or failing because that is part of life. However, I do have a problem with saying one can not succeed before one is given a chance to prove oneself. It was clearly wrong the way I was treated because those in power in the Education Department decided they did not want me to be a teacher because I had a learning disability. Tue, 09 Oct 2018 05:50:43 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/WA/CWU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about CWU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/WA/CWU_comments.html Hated my time here! The students lack depth and empathy for other people. It is full of people from smaller towns who are lowkey racist and close-minded. If you don't fall under that category it's goi... Mon, 05 Sep 2016 06:05:36 GMT StudentsReview 1451-175446 1451-175446 1451 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Negative Hated my time here! The students lack depth and empathy for other people. It is full of people from smaller towns who are lowkey racist and close-minded. If you don't fall under that category it's going to be a bad experience. I ended up transferring to UWB. Mon, 05 Sep 2016 06:05:36 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/WA/CWU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about CWU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/WA/CWU_comments.html Central Washington University had some good qualities and some bad qualities. Good qualities would be the cost and everything else about the school would be considered a bad quality. They teach you wh... Mon, 29 Aug 2016 08:01:27 GMT StudentsReview 1451-175299 1451-175299 1451 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Negative Central Washington University had some good qualities and some bad qualities. Good qualities would be the cost and everything else about the school would be considered a bad quality. They teach you what you need for your career but you're not going to get a life changing quality of education here. The school is simply too large and too underfunded. As a graduate, I'm still looking for jobs and just decided to go for graduate school since I was having such a hard time finding one fresh out of college. This is a good school if you plan on going to graduate school somewhere nicer and you need a cheap state school to start at. The academics here don't have much rigor so you'll be golden for applying to your next school.

Ellensburg is terrible. As a freshman it was fine because most of my life revolved around campus but as I got older as an upperclassmen, I was noticing that there weren't many internship opportunities here. It was really frustrating trying to build a solid resume when I lived full time in a small town. There have also been some incidents that would be considered racist here in Ellensburg. Since I'm not a student of color, I don't feel like its my place to comment on the racism here at Central because I don't know what it feels like. The town is isolating for a young person after sophomore year. When you start getting used to college and you no longer want your life to be 100% on campus, central gets a little isolating when it comes to opportunities and change.

Housing is really old. There's a few new buildings that fill up really fast. If your a first year and you get into one of those buildings, you're golden! The off campus housing was really cheap so that was a plus side. I lived on campus for a year and then decided to get an apartment. The older dorms are really old and depressing but they are really cheap.

The campus aesthetic is pretty interesting! The buildings itself are really nice and there's a small little river and we get really beautiful sunsets. This was a perk for me.

As far as life after Central, it is what you make it out to be. I do want to point out that the statistics of students getting jobs right after are sort of false in my opinion. There are TONS of alum that turn around after graduation and they end up working at Central (admissions, advisers, etc) you can take this information however you want. I've personally always felt like this was the case because of how isolated the school is and how little the opportunities are, you really have to build your resume before you can really get out there in the work force which is why so many fresh faced alum work for the school itself instead of a company here in the pacific northwest.
Mon, 29 Aug 2016 08:01:27 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/WA/CWU_comments.html