StudentsReview - Humboldt State University - Life at HSUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/HSU_comments.html Life at HSU - Comments en StudentsReview: Advice Review about HSU for Geneticshttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/HSU_comments.html Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a silmiar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can recommend? I get so much ... Tue, 08 Jul 2014 05:04:41 GMT StudentsReview 161-113320 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 161-113320 161 70 Genetics Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Advice Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a silmiar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can recommend? I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any help is very much appreciated. Tue, 08 Jul 2014 05:04:41 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/HSU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about HSU for Anthropologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/HSU_comments.html Honestly Im sick and tired of people complaing about Humboldt. If youre not an out doors person or very open minded to new things THIS SCHOOL IS NOT FOR YOU!... On that note, in my experience yes ther... Sun, 29 Jun 2014 02:42:11 GMT StudentsReview 161-112350 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 161-112350 161 42 Anthropology Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Positive Honestly Im sick and tired of people complaing about Humboldt. If youre not an out doors person or very open minded to new things THIS SCHOOL IS NOT FOR YOU!... On that note, in my experience yes there is a handful of people that smoke but I have a handful of friends who also dont smoke. Dont expect the city life of clubs or parties as crazy as in UCSB. If youre a chill laid back person who enjoys forest hikes, a beautiful beach, and having nature compltley surrounding you, this is the place for you. This place has so many nice people, be open to them and they will do the same. No this school isnt full of vegan people who bash on you, I have vegan friends and they dont mind at all that I eat meat. BE PREPARED for a culture shock.. Its so much different that your average city life. I come from downtown LA I KNOW THE CITY LIFE.. I grew up in it, honestly I love getting away and escaping to Humboldt. I feel much more free and people are much more open. In the city you cant just go up to someone and talk to them without getting a weird face. In humboldt Ive done it so many times, not once has someone given me a dirty look. School wise, I will admit sometimes some classes can lack but honestly people need to stop being whiners and learn, if someone really wants to learn they will use the tools they are given from the school and actually build more to it. Its a matter of not being lazy and being open minded to new things you thought youd never want to learn. HONESTLY I LOVE HUMBOLDT! I love the ability of just being able to walk a few feet away and Im in the forest, its gorgeous and so breathe taking. CONSIDER THE FACT THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO GREW UP IN THE STRAIGHT UP CITY! Sun, 29 Jun 2014 02:42:11 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/HSU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about HSU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/HSU_comments.html I wouldn't recommend this school unless you are very conservative or plan on majoring in the Arts. Some of the most bigoted crap I've ever heard has come out of the mouth of students in the Fisheries ... Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:43:03 GMT StudentsReview 161-103246 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 161-103246 161 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Negative I wouldn't recommend this school unless you are very conservative or plan on majoring in the Arts. Some of the most bigoted crap I've ever heard has come out of the mouth of students in the Fisheries and Forestry programs. Don't think women deserve equal rights or cheap healthcare? Think gun ownership is the most important part of being an American? Think that George Zimmerman is a national hero? This is the place for you!!!
I myself am a Fisheries major but because of the atmosphere created by other students I spend all of my free time in the art department!
Additionally the school itself makes no attempts to cover up the fact that the university is here to make money, not give you a worthwhile degree. While working for the US Forest Service over my breaks I have repeatedly been informed by my employers that Humboldt State is NOT very prestigious...and yet the school (a.k.a. the people you're paying) vehemently claims otherwise. The Forest Service, being one of the main employers of Natural Resources majors, has even informed me that I should not make my time at HSU a focal point of my resume! Overall I'm extremely disappointed and would recommend that, should you have the option, you get your degree from somewhere else! Perhaps programs like the Arts carry a bit of clout in the field, but the only people telling me my Fisheries degree is worth squat are the douchebags I'm paying an exuberant amount to.
One last thing: class schedules are HORRIBLE!! Many of the classes that are core to majors are only available for ONE section every other semester...this means if you screw up, you're either going to have to take online classes (most likely through another University the selection here is horrible) or postpone your graduation by at least 365 DAYS!!! Campus police spend all of their time attempted to bust kids lighting up on campus or in the adjacent forest rather than doing a damn thing about the ridiculous level of bike thefts...but I'd be lying if I'm even disappointed by this fact anymore...this place will kill what little faith you have in higher US education.
Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:43:03 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/HSU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about HSU for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/HSU_comments.html THE SCHOOL: PRO I graduated with my degree in Liberal Studies Elementary Education from HSU in December 2013. The faculty, the program, the courses, were overall, GREAT! In my undergraduate career,... Fri, 07 Mar 2014 02:25:25 GMT StudentsReview 161-102899 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 161-102899 161 15 Education Male Undergraduate Class 2013 2nd Year Advice THE SCHOOL: PRO

I graduated with my degree in Liberal Studies Elementary Education from HSU in December 2013. The faculty, the program, the courses, were overall, GREAT! In my undergraduate career, I spent nearly 100 hours in elementary classrooms getting hands-on experience working with students and teachers. Most other CSU's do not offer near this much real-world learning. I observed, tutored, and taught a diverse population of students from schools is Arcata and Eureka. A majority of my professors were extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to meet and talk with you about anything. Still, there were some classes that were pointless and boring. The adviser was great as well. Overall a fantastic program.

THE TOWN: LESS OF A PRO

I didn't hate Arcata as much as a lot of other people did, but it still has its short comings. I came from Orange County, so living in Humboldt was very different for me. The weather was cold, but I still managed. There aren't many stores, but I still managed. The movie theater is small and quaint, but I still managed. The beaches up near Trinidad were by far my favorite places to go. I spent most of my weekends with my girlfriend who would visit me from Chico every week.

THE STUDENTS: BIGGEST CON

I would say that HSU itself was not a bad experience. My program was great. Arcata is cute, quaint, and nicely quirky if you can handle all the transients and hobos that flock to the plaza. But my fellow students were the thing that made me hate my time at HSU the most. Looking back, I wish I had gone to a different school closer to home. I didn't fit it. It was extremely hard to make friends. I felt so alone for the whole 2 years I was there. So let me explain...

In order to fit in at HSU with your fellow students, YOU MUST SMOKE POT! I didn't smoke. I rarely drank. And I had a girlfriend. Bad combination for me. Everyone just wants to hang out and smoke. Literally all the time! My roommates would sit in their rooms and smoke several times a day. And since I didn't smoke, I was left out of any sort of social gathering. My advice, if you want to enjoy your time at HSU, you better love pot.
Fri, 07 Mar 2014 02:25:25 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/HSU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about HSU for Natural Resourceshttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/HSU_comments.html Humboldt State University, like any school, is what you make of it. I went to HSU to study environmental science since I knew that they have a good program. HSU is pretty good in any of the natural sc... Sun, 05 Jan 2014 02:55:26 GMT StudentsReview 161-99648 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 161-99648 161 27 Natural Resources Male Undergraduate Class 2014 3rd Year Positive Humboldt State University, like any school, is what you make of it. I went to HSU to study environmental science since I knew that they have a good program. HSU is pretty good in any of the natural sciences- they offer ornithology, ichtyology, marine biology, and so on. I don't know much about other departments. I've heard that the theater arts department isn't that good at all, but that's only from what I heard from someone who was in it.

I've personally enjoyed my time there and have gotten involved in various clubs and councils on campus. HSU doesn't have nearly as many clubs as they advertise- I know for a fact that many of the clubs they advertise have been inactive for years. Arcata is a small community (pop 10,000 or so) maybe 10 minutes north of another small community (Eureka), and people complain that there isn't anything to do. There are two bowling alleys in the neighboring cities and there is a movie theater about a 10 minute walk from campus (the country's oldest). The area up there is very slow growth, and Victorian architecture abounds. I've found the people in the community to be friendly, although there are a good number of homeless people.

As for things to do, I highly recommend going to the monthly Arts Alive events at the Arcata plaza and in Old Town Eureka. During the dry season there are weekly farmer's markets. Center Activities on campus offers numerous camping/backpacking/etc trips to go on. Center Arts brings many great acts and well known names to perform on campus, and there are also community performance centers (including for the Eureka Symphony). The area up there is of course full of trees, and there is a redwood forest behind campus. I highly recommend driving 45 minutes north or so to Prairie Creek State Park, where you can see Roosevelt Elk and hike Fern Canyon. There is less to do there big city wise, but there is a lot to do outdoors wise.

My major itself has been good. I've only taken a few classes which I would consider to be very difficult, the rest have been completely manageable. For all of my classes professors have been very open to being able to talk to them. The culture on campus tends towards the down to earth hippy type, but that's okay. In town you'll see few chain restaurants but a lot of mom and pop stores. There is also a big interest in organic/locally sourced food. I don't know. Overall I've enjoyed my time up there, but you make your own experience. Get involved, and if a club or something doesn't exist, start one.
Sun, 05 Jan 2014 02:55:26 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/HSU_comments.html