StudentsReview - California College of the Arts - Life at CCAhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html Life at CCA - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CCA for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html In 2005 I visited California for 2 weeks from Northern NY (think Canada) and I fell in love. As soon as I found out about CCA my junior year of high school, I was pretty stuck on it (despite my $6,000... Wed, 02 Nov 2011 11:28:52 GMT StudentsReview 1617-82488 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1617-82488 1617 53 Other Male Undergraduate Class 2015 1st Year Neutral In 2005 I visited California for 2 weeks from Northern NY (think Canada) and I fell in love. As soon as I found out about CCA my junior year of high school, I was pretty stuck on it (despite my $6,000 a year scholarship to RIT that I got for doing nothing). Please don't do that, look all over the place and visit everywhere.

Ok, so I was in love before I even got there. I lived in the dorms, which are insanely expensive for their size, especially since you're sharing with another guy. That said, my roommate was always at his girlfriend's, so I always had the room to myself. Be sure to call the bottom bunk, otherwise it's pretty awkward if you have a girl over. But honestly, I loved living in the dorms, there's no better way to do it. I've seen all the dorms and they're all really cool. Webster's chill, Irwin has a sweet view from the roof, and Clifton is just great all around.

The Oakland campus is amazing, it's just awesome in every way. The SF campus is pretty sterile, but there's always work up on the walls which is cool.

I went in majoring in photography/painting, then switched to architecture, then ID/interactive, then to Individualized. I'm now looking at that school from HS for photojournalism. If CCA had a photojournalism major with a record like that of RIT's, I'd definitely stay. The area is really great. Living in Rockridge is heaven. You can catch the BART into SF for a night of excitement or you can go to berkeley or any of the other places. I walked and explored a lot. I rode my bike EVERYWHERE. The traffic is wicked fun to ride through. The area is awesome, but the rent is insane out there. good luck finding a room for under 600 a month plus utilities (I'm used to maybe 250/mo with utilities included).

A lot of the students don't care, a lot are morons, most are wicked rich, so what that's all colleges. most of them are great folks. There's usually a party to go to and have fun. I don't smoke or drink or anything but I hung out with everyone and had fun no matter what.

Campus jobs are easy to get if you can get to them and they're easy as pie.

The teachers are pretty great (if you dig painting, f'sho check out Chris Brown, he is the boss, for real). But I didn't really feel like I was getting anywhere with any of it, like it was fizzling out real quick. It doesn't seem like a promising future.

So the reasons I left were:
the school wasn't exactly what I wanted
the price tag of the school in relation to the education quality as well as the high cost of living in the area

The area is awesome, the openings are cool, lots of snooty art snobs, a bit expensive, wicked fun, some of the best memories ever, and I made some great friends from all over the world and I even learned some Chinese. If you're interested in this school, visit and try to sit in on some classes so you get an idea of the level of things. For me it was a tad slow and tedious, but others really loved it.

Go CCAC!
Wed, 02 Nov 2011 11:28:52 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about CCA for Architecturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html The school totally exceeded my expectations. The overall environment that is created by both students and faculty is remarkable. The work load however is intense but manageable. I would not recommend ... Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:07:23 GMT StudentsReview 1617-75468 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1617-75468 1617 3 Architecture Male Undergraduate Class 2014 2nd Year Positive The school totally exceeded my expectations. The overall environment that is created by both students and faculty is remarkable. The work load however is intense but manageable. I would not recommend working while at school. Class sizes are small, leaving mote time to interact with the professor(s). By working in studio everyday (week ends included) students inconjuntion with the instructors help eachover with the workload. Overall I really love the school. Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:07:23 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about CCA for Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html Great school. Illustration departament is like it's own little world with unbelievably amazing faculty that are available anytime and great curriculum. Couldn't wish for more.... Thu, 03 Feb 2011 10:17:48 GMT StudentsReview 1617-74349 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1617-74349 1617 14 Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2012 2nd Year Positive Great school. Illustration departament is like it's own little world with unbelievably amazing faculty that are available anytime and great curriculum. Couldn't wish for more. Thu, 03 Feb 2011 10:17:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about CCA for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html I went to CCA for one semester, Fall 2010. The over all curriculum was pretty good. I got three A's and one B that semester. The professors where generally really interesting. However half the sch... Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:31:21 GMT StudentsReview 1617-74276 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1617-74276 1617 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2014 1st Year Negative I went to CCA for one semester, Fall 2010. The over all curriculum was pretty good. I got three A's and one B that semester. The professors where generally really interesting.

However half the school is in oakland and the other half is in San Francisco. This is fine if your major is located generally in one building or the other. I was a painting major at the school. The program was really spread out. I didn't feel a lot of support for the painters at the school. There was hardly any community for the painting majors. I was often by myself in the painting studios, wondering to myself ... where are the other painters?

This is why I decided to leave. I was a transfer student. I decided to use the dorms, to meet people .. etc... All transfer students generally go to the Webster Dorms. Three weeks into living at Webster a shoot out with machine guns happened outside my window. Thats right, MACHINE GUNS. Oakland has the fourth highest crime rate in the US. It's really important to think about that before deciding to go to CCA. Half the campus is in Oakland, ask how many classes exactly would you need to take in oakland? Their campus security reports will tell you only a few thefts happen on campus and that there are no reports of violence on campus ... What they aren't telling you is that people are getting shot and mugged at the safeway right next door to the campus ... the safe way is where a lot of students go for their food. It's really a scary situation .... What I got is that too many students where afraid to say they made a mistake and where afraid to go home because of being locked into student loans. Thats just my honest impression. My advice is not go here and check out other schools that are actually fully in SF.
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:31:21 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about CCA for Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html In the Graphic Design Program, this is the only program I can speak of, the faculty pick favorites. Everyone at CCA does quality work, so in the end they just judge you based on whatever they feel lik... Fri, 01 May 2009 10:17:46 GMT StudentsReview 1617-59898 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1617-59898 1617 14 Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2009 3rd Year Negative In the Graphic Design Program, this is the only program I can speak of, the faculty pick favorites. Everyone at CCA does quality work, so in the end they just judge you based on whatever they feel like. Even though I am 25, I have been treated like a child, and with little respect by the faculty.

The program sets you up with deadlines and small projects, and than in the end they throw a curve ball at you, called Thesis. In Thesis, you have to come up with your own project, even though nothing before this has prepared you for this kind of class. Talk about intimidating, you sit in front of a huge staff of graphic designers and they tell you how your work stinks if you aren't one of their beloved favorites!

On the more positive side, I would say that the faculty are very knowledgeable and even though they may not express their want for their students to do well, they try, but are elitist and too focused on how you do your work rather than what you produce.

This is not the program to be in if you are not 100% sure you want to do graphic design. The teachers really have little if no respect for many of the students, but the students certainly produce beautiful work. What I liked about CCA was the great challenge and its conceptual nature. What I didn't like about it was its elitism, favoritism, and pretentiousness. Every idea should be given a fair chance. Design shouldn't be elitist!
Fri, 01 May 2009 10:17:46 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html