StudentsReview - California College of the Arts - Life at CCA Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html Life at CCA - Comments en StudentsReview: Advice Review about CCA for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html Adult student, second round in college. Photo Major and then switched to Individualized with concentration in Sculpture. Best resource CCA has is the faculty's brilliance - which is disheartening o... Mon, 08 Feb 2016 07:10:50 GMT StudentsReview 1617-172651 1617-172651 1617 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Advice Adult student, second round in college. Photo Major and then switched to Individualized with concentration in Sculpture.

Best resource CCA has is the faculty's brilliance - which is disheartening once you realize that the administrators disrespect them and treat them as disposable. Seriously, the majority of them are genuinely interested in students' success, approachable, and appreciative if you are inquisitive and eager to learn. I have had some of my best education here talking to the faculty at great length, both in and out of the class room. This is a nerdy Art school - the Fine Art students that I know bust their asses off and majority are on some Financial Aid - not wild partiers like SFAI-ers.

Now for the cons, to be fair these issues seem to be commonplace in other Art institutions as well: steadily increasing tuition without Financial Aid adjustment, academically challenged (administrators put pressure on faculty to prop less competent students up), budgetary issues (SF Design + Arch programs given way higher priority over Oakland Fine Art ones), overcrowding (CCA has had issue accommodating students with proper studio/work space), few mature students (the cliques are 'painfully hip').

CCA has been going through major changes over the years...moving from a traditional craft-based school to an innovative design school. Restructuring has been happening as well leading up to the move of Oakland campus to SF, causing tension and feelings of uneasiness. Rumor has it some of the programs will be put on the chopping block.

My hope for CCA is that it won't get lost in this change for the sake of change alone. Progress can only be achieved with wisdom and fairness and some of us are wondering if the CCA Board of Trustees have completely lost the school's original vision and if they are making decisions solely based on $$$ - it is the Bay Area after all, where greed prevails.
Mon, 08 Feb 2016 07:10:50 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about CCA for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html In 2005 I visited California for 2 weeks from Northern NY (think Canada) and I fell in love. As soon as I found out about CCA my junior year of high school, I was pretty stuck on it (despite my $6,000... Thu, 03 Nov 2011 12:28:52 GMT StudentsReview 1617-82488 1617-82488 1617 53 Other Male Undergraduate Class 2015 1st Year Neutral In 2005 I visited California for 2 weeks from Northern NY (think Canada) and I fell in love. As soon as I found out about CCA my junior year of high school, I was pretty stuck on it (despite my $6,000 a year scholarship to RIT that I got for doing nothing). Please don't do that, look all over the place and visit everywhere.

Ok, so I was in love before I even got there. I lived in the dorms, which are insanely expensive for their size, especially since you're sharing with another guy. That said, my roommate was always at his girlfriend's, so I always had the room to myself. Be sure to call the bottom bunk, otherwise it's pretty awkward if you have a girl over. But honestly, I loved living in the dorms, there's no better way to do it. I've seen all the dorms and they're all really cool. Webster's chill, Irwin has a sweet view from the roof, and Clifton is just great all around.

The Oakland campus is amazing, it's just awesome in every way. The SF campus is pretty sterile, but there's always work up on the walls which is cool.

I went in majoring in photography/painting, then switched to architecture, then ID/interactive, then to Individualized. I'm now looking at that school from HS for photojournalism. If CCA had a photojournalism major with a record like that of RIT's, I'd definitely stay. The area is really great. Living in Rockridge is heaven. You can catch the BART into SF for a night of excitement or you can go to berkeley or any of the other places. I walked and explored a lot. I rode my bike EVERYWHERE. The traffic is wicked fun to ride through. The area is awesome, but the rent is insane out there. good luck finding a room for under 600 a month plus utilities (I'm used to maybe 250/mo with utilities included).

A lot of the students don't care, a lot are morons, most are wicked rich, so what that's all colleges. most of them are great folks. There's usually a party to go to and have fun. I don't smoke or drink or anything but I hung out with everyone and had fun no matter what.

Campus jobs are easy to get if you can get to them and they're easy as pie.

The teachers are pretty great (if you dig painting, f'sho check out Chris Brown, he is the boss, for real). But I didn't really feel like I was getting anywhere with any of it, like it was fizzling out real quick. It doesn't seem like a promising future.

So the reasons I left were:
the school wasn't exactly what I wanted
the price tag of the school in relation to the education quality as well as the high cost of living in the area

The area is awesome, the openings are cool, lots of snooty art snobs, a bit expensive, wicked fun, some of the best memories ever, and I made some great friends from all over the world and I even learned some Chinese. If you're interested in this school, visit and try to sit in on some classes so you get an idea of the level of things. For me it was a tad slow and tedious, but others really loved it.

Go CCAC!
Thu, 03 Nov 2011 12:28:52 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about CCA for Architecturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html The school totally exceeded my expectations. The overall environment that is created by both students and faculty is remarkable. The work load however is intense but manageable. I would not recommend ... Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:07:23 GMT StudentsReview 1617-75468 1617-75468 1617 3 Architecture Male Undergraduate Class 2014 2nd Year Positive The school totally exceeded my expectations. The overall environment that is created by both students and faculty is remarkable. The work load however is intense but manageable. I would not recommend working while at school. Class sizes are small, leaving mote time to interact with the professor(s). By working in studio everyday (week ends included) students inconjuntion with the instructors help eachover with the workload. Overall I really love the school. Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:07:23 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about CCA for Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html Great school. Illustration departament is like it's own little world with unbelievably amazing faculty that are available anytime and great curriculum. Couldn't wish for more.... Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:17:48 GMT StudentsReview 1617-74349 1617-74349 1617 14 Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2012 2nd Year Positive Great school. Illustration departament is like it's own little world with unbelievably amazing faculty that are available anytime and great curriculum. Couldn't wish for more. Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:17:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about CCA for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html I went to CCA for one semester, Fall 2010. The over all curriculum was pretty good. I got three A's and one B that semester. The professors where generally really interesting. However half the sch... Tue, 01 Feb 2011 12:31:21 GMT StudentsReview 1617-74276 1617-74276 1617 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2014 1st Year Negative I went to CCA for one semester, Fall 2010. The over all curriculum was pretty good. I got three A's and one B that semester. The professors where generally really interesting.

However half the school is in oakland and the other half is in San Francisco. This is fine if your major is located generally in one building or the other. I was a painting major at the school. The program was really spread out. I didn't feel a lot of support for the painters at the school. There was hardly any community for the painting majors. I was often by myself in the painting studios, wondering to myself ... where are the other painters?

This is why I decided to leave. I was a transfer student. I decided to use the dorms, to meet people .. etc... All transfer students generally go to the Webster Dorms. Three weeks into living at Webster a shoot out with machine guns happened outside my window. Thats right, MACHINE GUNS. Oakland has the fourth highest crime rate in the US. It's really important to think about that before deciding to go to CCA. Half the campus is in Oakland, ask how many classes exactly would you need to take in oakland? Their campus security reports will tell you only a few thefts happen on campus and that there are no reports of violence on campus ... What they aren't telling you is that people are getting shot and mugged at the safeway right next door to the campus ... the safe way is where a lot of students go for their food. It's really a scary situation .... What I got is that too many students where afraid to say they made a mistake and where afraid to go home because of being locked into student loans. Thats just my honest impression. My advice is not go here and check out other schools that are actually fully in SF.
Tue, 01 Feb 2011 12:31:21 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/CCOAAC_comments.html